E-mails going into black hole

Hello All:

I've been doing some testing with an Exchange 5.5 to 2003 upgrade and have
run into a strange problem. Apparently all my outbound external SMTP mail is
going into a black hole. On the 5.5 server I have an IMS, which worked fine.
Note: external e-mails never really got sent because this is all on a test
network, but since they queue up on the IMS, that is good enough for me.

I then added a new 2003 server after performing all the prerequisites like
ADC, et al. The 2003 and 5.5 server coexist fine and mail flow and directory
replication work fine between them. I then added an SMTP Connector to the
2003 server and changed the cost of the 5.5 IMS to 100 so that all outbound
external SMTP mail would go out through this new SMTP Connector. Again,
since I'm on a test network, I figured that the e-mails should get queued up
on the 2003 server and would be visible in its Queues container in ESM.
That's not the case though.

I've sent test messages from both a 5.5 and 2003 mailbox and have verified
by tracking the messages that they are going to the 2003 server. The last
step that shows up in the message track states "SMTP: Message Queued for
Local Delivery." I've rebooted both servers several times and have even
changed the message expiration on the Default SMTP Virtual Server to 15
minutes. I've left both servers on all weekend and my test messages have
still not NDRed, nor do they appear in the Queues container on the 2003
server.

On the 2003 server, I've checked all folders under "C:\Program
Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot" and there is nothing at all in there. I've also
checked the "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mtadata" folder on both servers and
do not see anything related to my test messages in there (I sorted by
modified date). There are no messages queued up in the either the MTA or IMS
on the 5.5 server nor are there any messages at all in the Queues container
on the 2003 server. I also tried to relay a message off the 2003 server via
a VBS script and it has the same "SMTP: Message Queued for Local Delivery"
status when I track the message.

Is there anywhere else I can look? There are no errors related to this on
either server's Application Log. Server info below.

Exchange 2003: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition/Exchange Server 2003
Standard Edition SP1
Exchange 5.5: Windows 2000 Sever/Exchange Server 5.5 SP4

Thank you in advance.
--
Sincerely,
Martin

0
MartinHTN

Ok, I figured this out myself, sort of. On the SMTP connector, I had it set
to "Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart host."
Since I'm on a test network that can't resolve external DNS names, the SMTP
server was not able to resolve the smart host. I still don't know where the
missing messages are though!!!

I even turned up the diagnostic logging for everything under
MSExchangeTransport to maximum and sent a few more test messages and still
didn't get any errors or warnings. The only reason I found the cause was
because I tried to enter in the same smart host on the 5.5 IMS and it logged
an error stating that it would not restart because the smart host could not
be resolved. You figure MS would do the same thing with the SMTP connector,
but oh well, maybe in SP2...

"MartinHTN" <m@ht.n> wrote in message
> Hello All:
>
> I've been doing some testing with an Exchange 5.5 to 2003 upgrade and have
> run into a strange problem. Apparently all my outbound external SMTP mail
is
> going into a black hole. On the 5.5 server I have an IMS, which worked
fine.
> Note: external e-mails never really got sent because this is all on a test
> network, but since they queue up on the IMS, that is good enough for me.
>
> I then added a new 2003 server after performing all the prerequisites like
> ADC, et al. The 2003 and 5.5 server coexist fine and mail flow and
directory
> replication work fine between them. I then added an SMTP Connector to the
> 2003 server and changed the cost of the 5.5 IMS to 100 so that all
outbound
> external SMTP mail would go out through this new SMTP Connector. Again,
> since I'm on a test network, I figured that the e-mails should get queued
up
> on the 2003 server and would be visible in its Queues container in ESM.
> That's not the case though.
>
> I've sent test messages from both a 5.5 and 2003 mailbox and have verified
> by tracking the messages that they are going to the 2003 server. The last
> step that shows up in the message track states "SMTP: Message Queued for
> Local Delivery." I've rebooted both servers several times and have even
> changed the message expiration on the Default SMTP Virtual Server to 15
> minutes. I've left both servers on all weekend and my test messages have
> still not NDRed, nor do they appear in the Queues container on the 2003
> server.
>
> On the 2003 server, I've checked all folders under "C:\Program
> Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot" and there is nothing at all in there. I've also
> checked the "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mtadata" folder on both servers and
> do not see anything related to my test messages in there (I sorted by
> modified date). There are no messages queued up in the either the MTA or
IMS
> on the 5.5 server nor are there any messages at all in the Queues
container
> on the 2003 server. I also tried to relay a message off the 2003 server
via
> a VBS script and it has the same "SMTP: Message Queued for Local Delivery"
> status when I track the message.
>
> Is there anywhere else I can look? There are no errors related to this on
> either server's Application Log. Server info below.
>
> Exchange 2003: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition/Exchange Server 2003
> Standard Edition SP1
> Exchange 5.5: Windows 2000 Sever/Exchange Server 5.5 SP4
>
> Thank you in advance.
> --
> Sincerely,
> Martin

0
MartinHTN

e-mail #3
I am using Publisher 2007 and and new to using it. I have a newsletter (11"X17" with some graphics) that I print and mail bi-monthly. Is there any way I can create the same file into an e-mail in Outlook or Outlook Express? Any Ideas or suggestions for using other programs instead of those mentioned are appreciated. Papasan PDF attachment? 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.m...

=SUMPRODUCT((Data1!$B$1:$B$500="March")*(Data1!$C$1:$C$500="New York"),(Data1!$E$1:$E$500))
Hi =SUMPRODUCT((Data1!$B$1:$B$500="March")*(Data1!$C$1:$C$500="New York"), (Data1!$E$1:$E$500)) In plain english the formula above means: Sum cells E1 to E500 (last argument) if in B1 to B500 the value is "March" and if in C1 to C500 the value is "New York". SUMPRODUCT is like SUMIF on steroids and it allows you to automate all these reports that you develop with data that you import from a large centralized database, centralized accounting, manufacturing and sales programs or the Internet. The last argument (preceded by a comma) tells Excel what to...

e ...

Word Mail merge lables from .xls document
Office 2000 Windows XP Pro: I am trying to create Avery 8160 lables in WORD form an Excel database. . My sequence in WORD is as follows. Tools>Mail Merge>Create Main Document>Mailing Lables> Active Window>Get Data>Open Data Source. When I get to into folder that contains the .xls file the only files listed in that folder are WORD files. When I click on the File Type drop down menu at the botton of the OPEN DATA SOURCE window, the only options I have are "All Word Documents", "Word documents", "Web pages", "Rich text format", &qu...

Mailing list
I am making a mailing list of customers addresses. I own a pizzeria and at the end of the night I take the order slips and type the addresses of customers who ordered that day into microsoft word. After a few weeks of doing this I am getting a lot of repeats. How do I avoid this? If you're doing it in Word, make each address its own paragraph, select all the paragraphs, and choose Sort (Word2007: Home tab; Word2003 and earlier, Table menu [they don't need to be in a table]). Then when you want to add a new one, just go to where it would fit in and see if it's alrea...

i dont no how to send a mail could u plz tell me wot to click on
help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz What do you mean by "send a mail" ? Could you please keep the subjects brief and explain what you would like in as much details as possible please -- iPod's ROCK! "marjan" wrote: > help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

How do I block messages from one particular e-mail adress?
I dont want to receive e-mails from one certain adress. Is it possible to block those messages? yes. right click an email from them, Junk mail, add to junk senders list -- Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook www.judygleeson.com www.deskdoctors.com Are you sick of bad email practice? Get a copy of my paper "Implementing Email Policy" from the Desk Doctors website. "Marco" <Marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9517F371-5BC9-46D6-8979-9FB489585258@microsoft.com... >I dont want to receive e-mails from one certain adress. Is it...

out look mail
How do I get my out look mail back to my schools imail accout? On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 14:08:29 -0700, "Donna" <w1239881@imail.losrios.edu> wrote: >How do I get my out look mail back to my schools imail accout? > Ask your school email administrator. Nobody on this volunteer-staffed technical support forum for Microsoft Access databases will be able to help you. You'll also want to change your email address; it's now been published to tens of thousands of computers worldwide, and spammers and junk mailers can and will harvest it to send you SPAM....

How to forward mail from internalmail to external address?
I have internal is user@mydomain.com and want to forward this address to user@hotmail.com in MS-Exchange2003. How can i do? Ask your Exchange administrator to set up a mail-enabled contact for your hotmail account, and use alternate delivery/delivery options on the user@mydomain.com mailbox to send a copy of all inbound mail to the mail-enabled contact. Mark Thailand wrote: > I have internal is user@mydomain.com and want to forward this address > to user@hotmail.com in MS-Exchange2003. How can i do? Mark Thailand <mark@wctcoltd.com> wrote: > I have internal is user@mydomai...

Auto-response e-mail: Generate auto-response e-mail to
How to set-up next feature Auto-response e-mail: Generate auto-response e-mail to customer requests. (MS CRM Overview from MBS site) Ed I have not seen an auto-response feature in CRM. "ed" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0bac01c3b4e3$2ca0d6e0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > How to set-up next feature > Auto-response e-mail: Generate auto-response e-mail to > customer requests. (MS CRM Overview from MBS site) > ...

Attachments in a mail merge document
HI I am trying to do an e-mail merge from Microsoft word. I have been successful with just formatted text. I would like to however, send an attachment along with these emails. I have tried various methods to achieve this, but have not been successful. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Is Outlook 2002 (XP) capable of doing an e-mail merge with attachments? regards, Andrew No. You would have to use a 3rd party mass mailing program if you need to send attachments. Look here for a list of possible programs: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm#massmail -- ...

URGENT: Mail access issues
Hello: I am having a problem logging into my Outlook mail account on my laptop. I get the following error: "Your logon information was incorrect. Check your username and domain, then type your password again. If your account is new or if your administrator requested a password change you need to click Change Password then logon with your new password." Seems like a straight-forward message, but here is the problem. I can access my mail account when logging on to the client's desktop computer. I should be able to logon to this account from my laptop, just like my co...

A program is trying to automatically send e-mail on your behalf...
I'm using Outlook 2002 and a UK Accounts package called Sage. This package allows me to send invoices via email. Everytime I send an email I have to wait 5 seconds before I can click YES, and if I have a lot of invoices to send, this does take quite some time. Is there a way to "override" this setting so that it sends them automatically without asking me? I know the security reasons why this feature is there, its just a hinderance thats all. I do have uptodate virus checking on my emails that will hopefully catch worm viruses trying to send without my knowledge. Anyway, I h...

P L E A S E
Please, could someone help me with "DLL (Resource)" post (some 25 posts below this post). Please. Thank you. "Jan Plastenjak" <none@ms.com> wrote in message news:ewOtE0A3DHA.2700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > > Please, could someone help me with "DLL (Resource)" post (some 25 posts > below this post). Please. What? I'm to search through the newsgroup looking for find your post? I don't think so... Cheers Richard. Jan, I have already answered your post, let me repeat it: "If you go to www.microsoft.com and enter the fo...

E-Mail Printing Problem
I posted this problem 6 or 8 months ago and have not yet seen a solution. The problem is on certain emails (Schwab Confirms as an Example) about 1" of the right side of the email is cropped. I documented and reported the problem to MSFT and someone from MSFT replied that they were aware of the issue and were working on it. That was many many months ago. The problem is/was not printer dependent or operating system dependant - just Internet Explorer and/or Windows Live Mail. It was apparent at that time that other people were experiencing the same problem. Is anyone aware...

New Mail Desktop Shortcut
Is there a desktop shortcut for creating a new mail message (running Windows XP)? In Windows 2000 there was a shortcut bar with a new mail message icon on it. I'm wondering if there's something similar in XP? Rob D. <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a desktop shortcut for creating a new mail message (running > Windows XP)? In Windows 2000 there was a shortcut bar with a new > mail message icon on it. I'm wondering if there's something similar > in XP? It's easy enough to make one. Open Outlook and search for "command line&qu...

Pack and Go Disk Space Error
When I pack and go for a commerical printing service, I get an error message that I'm out of disk space. My publication is only a page but is fairly complex with graphics, charts, and text. I have 20GB of disk space free. Got any tips as on how to resolve this. If I creat a new document with only a little text and a couple small pictures, I am able to successfuly pack and go. Thank you! Bill, which version of Publisher are you using? If you have any BLENDS in your Publication, this can be an issue as the file sizes become humungous. -- After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix...

Unable to send via windows mail
Hi everyone, I am having trouble sending via windows mail, one day it was working and then for some reason it doesnt. I can still received email but unable to send. I have all correct settings, I have deleted accunt and re installed account, changed port settings as requested and still get the same error. which is the following The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems ...

"Send to Mail Recipient" icon not working
As you know, in Excel you there is an icon on the Toolbar for "Send to Mail Recipient". For some reason, my icon does not appear. When I select Tools > Customize > Select and drag the Mail Recipient icon to the toolbar, as soon as I close the customize menu box the icon I just dragged to the toolbar disappears. When I click on the little arrow at the end of the toolbar, I do not see it listed under the Customize area (to check or uncheck). Anyone know why this may be happening and how I can get the icon to stay in the toolbar? Also, if I go under File > Send To, ...

auto e-mail checking
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone out there could tell me if there's a way to check for e-mail automatically. What I mean by this is that I would not have to be "clicking" send/receive, each time that I need to check for new e- mail. Thanks in advance. Rudy Tools > Options > Internet E-mail. Check my local network for connections(s) for new mail every ____ minutes. You may also want to check the auto dial button if you're not always online. "Rudy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01b601c3a244$da477da0$a601280a@phx.g...

E-mail Router doesnt get E-mail from Exchange
Hi, I've setup CRM with Exchange E-mail Router successfully until I did either 1 of the following. 1. Disabling E-mail user 2. Change server IP address 3. Installing RAS Does anyone of the above affects Exchange E-mail Router? If not, may i know whether is there any place where i can configure Exchange E-mail Router? Last solution, do you think reinstalling Exchange E-mail Router will help? Any help appreciated. Thanks a lot!! David Loke -------------------------------------------- ReadySpace Network Pte Ltd www.readyspace.com ...

Direct Mail
Is there a way to print a POSTNET barcode on a Publisher document? More specificly, I'm mail merging an address list to a publisher document, and want to add a barcode to each page. Is there a way to do this (you can do it in Word...) Thanks After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from AlphrettaRealtor <AlpharettaRealtor@hotmail.com>... > Is there a way to print a POSTNET barcode on a Publisher > document? More specificly, I'm mail merging an address > list to a publisher document, and want to add a barcode > to each page. Is t...

Attaching an e-mail into an e-mail
Our boss likes for us to draft her e-mails to be sent out. We type and attach the e-mail she wants, send it to her and all she has to do is open it up, make her changes and hit send. This used to work w/ 2000 but w/ 2003 it does not. Any suggestions? can you be a bit more specific, what is it that isnt working now ?? Regards Davidt "Hope" wrote: > Our boss likes for us to draft her e-mails to be sent out. We type and > attach the e-mail she wants, send it to her and all she has to do is open it > up, make her changes and hit send. This used to work w/ 2000 b...

Mail won't send
Why do I keep getting this error message interittantY Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: FW: XXXXXX Sent: 10/17/2003 11:04 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: XXXXon 10/17/2003 11:04 PM 550 5.7.1 (deleted e-mail address)Relaying denied: You must check for new mail before sending mail. This could be the result of virus spreadking spam. I had the same problem. I sent an email to persons in my email account to advise those who had my email address they may have a virus that was sending unwanted ema...

creating mailing labels from excel
Is there an easy set of steps to be used to create address mailing labels from data found in normal excel spreadsheets in rows and columns? I'm sure there is, but I'm struggling to determine how? David McRitchie has a good web page for doing exactly what you're looking for. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "marion" <marion@rasmech.com> wrote in message news:10b301c3df...