DR test restore for Exchange 2003 cluster to single node

We have an Exchange 2003 cluster (sitting on W2K3 Enterprise platform)
that is the sole server for 500 mailboxes within our organisation. We
are due to do DR testing very shortly. I do not want to try and
resurrect the cluster, as we had a consultant in to do that and there
is  no way I could repeat what he did. Therefore I will have a single
node as the DR Exchange server. I was wondering how easy this is to
do, and whether this will complicate matters? The name of the cluster
server is obviously different to its consituent nodes. If I were to
restore a single node, would it need to be brought back to life with
the same name as the cluster?

Also, is there a guide that is helpful for this issue? Im put off by
by the 200 page + Micrsoft one both because of lack of time, and my
previous experiece that Microsoft 'to do's are often poorly written -
although of course I will dip into it for specific information.

Thanks,

QH

I'm having a lot of trouble finding it quickly (and I'm in the middle of a
Exchange 2003 migration for a company this weekend so I don't have much
time), but there's a great script in the script center to update your AD
accounts for a server change as in the case of a DR situation.

You need to change all AD accounts for the mail server to point to the new
one.  Other than that it's pretty straightforward from what I've found.

"QH" wrote:

> We have an Exchange 2003 cluster (sitting on W2K3 Enterprise platform)
> that is the sole server for 500 mailboxes within our organisation. We
> are due to do DR testing very shortly. I do not want to try and
> resurrect the cluster, as we had a consultant in to do that and there
> is  no way I could repeat what he did. Therefore I will have a single
> node as the DR Exchange server. I was wondering how easy this is to
> do, and whether this will complicate matters? The name of the cluster
> server is obviously different to its consituent nodes. If I were to
> restore a single node, would it need to be brought back to life with
> the same name as the cluster?
>
> Also, is there a guide that is helpful for this issue? Im put off by
> by the 200 page + Micrsoft one both because of lack of time, and my
> previous experiece that Microsoft 'to do's are often poorly written -
> although of course I will dip into it for specific information.
>
> Thanks,
>
> QH

0
hardy1111 (4)
4/27/2007 7:12:02 PM
for Clustered Exchange Disaster Recovery Please do the following:

1- do an ASR backup ( the only way to restore the Clustered Disks Signature
which is a core issue in Recovery if not there cluster will fail)
2- do a seperate backup for the exchange databases along with logs

Automated System Recovery includes the following: (System State - Boot
Partition - System Partition "in some cases boot and system partitions are
the same usually C: so consider to backup the other partition then the C:" -
Cluster quorum Logs,..)

Thanks

"Hardy Utley" <hardy1111@hotmail.com.(nospam)> wrote in message
> I'm having a lot of trouble finding it quickly (and I'm in the middle of a
> Exchange 2003 migration for a company this weekend so I don't have much
> time), but there's a great script in the script center to update your AD
> accounts for a server change as in the case of a DR situation.
>
> You need to change all AD accounts for the mail server to point to the new
> one.  Other than that it's pretty straightforward from what I've found.
>
> "QH" wrote:
>

>> We have an Exchange 2003 cluster (sitting on W2K3 Enterprise platform)
>> that is the sole server for 500 mailboxes within our organisation. We
>> are due to do DR testing very shortly. I do not want to try and
>> resurrect the cluster, as we had a consultant in to do that and there
>> is  no way I could repeat what he did. Therefore I will have a single
>> node as the DR Exchange server. I was wondering how easy this is to
>> do, and whether this will complicate matters? The name of the cluster
>> server is obviously different to its consituent nodes. If I were to
>> restore a single node, would it need to be brought back to life with
>> the same name as the cluster?
>>
>> Also, is there a guide that is helpful for this issue? Im put off by
>> by the 200 page + Micrsoft one both because of lack of time, and my
>> previous experiece that Microsoft 'to do's are often poorly written -
>> although of course I will dip into it for specific information.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> QH

0
Moody6178 (8)

Cached Exchange Mode problems
We are running Exchange 2003 on Server 2003 with Outlook 2003 and have Cached Exchange Mode enabled. Lately users are reporting items not appearing in Outlook but on their PDA's. If we disable Cached Exchange Mode all the items appear in Outlook. Any suggestions as to what would cause these items to not appear in their local cache? We have limited users mailboxes to 400MB. Any help or pointers would be appreciated. TIA In news:Xns9875A52CF9360bobarcabca@207.46.248.16, Fuzzy Logic <bob@arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS> typed: > We are running Exchange 2003 on Server 2003 with Outlook 2003 a...

Publisher 2003 hyperlink PDF file
I'm creating a newsletter using Publisher 2003. How do I create a hyperlink to a PDF file so the reciepients of the email newsletter can just click on the link and view the data in the PDF??? Where will that .pdf file be? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "emily79" <emily79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96B76AC8-02FA-46E0-9F1C-34B247A30486@microsoft.com... > I'm creating a newsletter using Publisher 2003. How do I create a > hyperlink > to a PDF file so the r...

Two domains on the same exchange server
We are running Exchange 2003 server on a single domain. Works great. We have recently took over another company and now they have their own domain name (happened to sit on a POP3 server but it is not a big problem to change to SMTP). Can I allow some of the users to receive and send e-mails from both domain names? Do they need two accounts on their outlook? You need to add second domain in Recipient Policy, change MX for that domain to your server and either setup two accounts in Outlook or use http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefrom.html Ivan wrote: > We are running Exchange 2003 server on...

SBS 2008
Title says it all.. I need to setup some Exchange 2007 Transport Rules to BCc *all* mail to a mail Enabled Public Folder for archiving purposes. I find if I create them in ESM then I cannot target a Public Folder ...only a Mailbox. I need them in a Public Folder and not a Mailbox. I think I'm going to need to do this in the Power Shell but am not that familiar with what syntax to enter. The mail-enabled Public Folder already exists, I just need the syntax for creation of the rules. Are there any good guides or references for this ? Jim wrote: >Titl...

ignore this test (sorry; xyz)
Ignore this test (xyz). I do not expect this to survive on the MSNews server. But it might be propagated to other servers. Sorry about that. I have performed my tests in m.p.test.here. But I need to do a final test in m.p.e.misc, because the policies of some NGs might be different from others. ...

Dr. Watson error Event ID: 4097
I am getting Dr. Watson error for the store on a fairly regular basis now on one of my exchnage server application .I am using exchange 5.5 sp4.The AV in the server is running in API mode.The server also has remote agent for Veritas. The details are: Event ID: 4097 Source: DrWatson Type: Information Category: None Description: The application, exe\store.dbg, generated an application error The error occurred on 3/ 8/2005 @ 14:59: 0.997 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 0042466b What could be the problem ....Can anyone shed some light on this??... See if post-SP4 hot-fixes...

Problem restoring Outlook 2003 PST file
I recently lost my pc in a power outage. Luckily, I was able to salvage the hard drive and copied the outlook.pst file to a CD. I am having trouble with Outlook recognizing my Contacts. Here is what I did: I opened up Outlook 2003 for the first time and receive the normal �welcome� email. I then go to File\Open\Outlook Data File and opened up the outlook.pst file. When I �click� on Contacts, I do see my address book, however a) if I try to add a new contact, it adds it to another contact list b) if I edit a contact, the custom categories that I created on my old pc, ...

Exchange 2003 as a secondary (fall back server) server
Hi all, I have exchange 2000 on domain-1. Exchange 2003 on domain-2. If domain-1 is not available I would like domain-2 to queue up domain-1's e-mails. Then send when it's available. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? I can't find any documentation on how to do this. I have already set up another mx record with a higher priority that points the domain-1 domain to domain-2's exchange 2003 server. Thanks in advance, -Roy On 13 Jul 2005 05:33:35 -0700, luniz_c@hotmail.com wrote: >Hi all, > >I have exchange 2000 on domain-1. Exchange 2003 on domain-2....

Outlook 2003 cannot reply or forward
Working with someone that has Outlook 2003 and a very large .pst. Email not being sent and hangs in Outbox. Some mail is being delivered and we have finally figured that mail that is new is delivered and replies and forwards are not. They have multiple POP3 accounts and it seems only one is having trouble. Have tried the following: Setup Outlook Express on same machine using exact same POP3 info and it works fine (assume no problem with ISP) Uninstalled Office Pro entirely, reinstalled it in different directory, no change Deleted POP3 account and re-entered info Ran SCANPST.e...

XmlSerializerNamespaces moves namespace to root node
This problem should be easily reproducable if anybody has the time. I need to build the following XML programatically and decided to use the XMLSerializer. I simplified the XML (myExample.xml) that i need to create for this post. <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"> <SOAP-ENV:Body> <m:TopElm xmlns:m="myNameSpace"> <Elm1>H...

Manual uninstall of Exchange 2003
After doing a manual uninstall of Exchange 2003, I need to remove the server from the ESM, but it gives me the following error message: Cannot delete this server because one or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server. I made sure to move all mailboxes from the server and removed all public folder replicas prior to uninstall installing. I also went thru the steps laid out in KB307917. The only mailboxes remaining were system mailboxes. Can I use adsiedit to remove the server from ESM and would that cause issues later. courtesy of Evan, run this query using ldp.exe to see...

test
fdfdsaf "�²ʷ�" <caifeng.918@163.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:%23358cZ1HIHA.5276@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > > ...

New Employee, logs in to Domain, but not to Exchange
Good Afternoon, Last week we hired a new employee in the accounting department. I copied the profile of another now-defunct employee in the Accounting department, and set her up. She is now able to log into the domain fine, and do everything else she needs to do, but she isn't able to open Outlook (2000) and connect to the Exchange 2003 Server, without receiving: "Unable to open your default e-mail folder. You do not have permission to log on." I have checked, she is unable to log on to OWA either. Same denial. No permissions. I did a side-by-side comparison of per...

Exchange Metadata
I am trying to determine the "standard" metadata that would exist in an Exchange database. While I understand that Exchange is very customizable, I am looking for a "baseline" as reference. For example, the metadata that comes to mind initially includes fields for the standard to, from, subject, bcc, body, attachments, headers, etc. can someone point me to a complete list of the default or standard fields? Thanks, Adam You can try the address templates on exchange 2003 to see all fields and modify things. >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to determine...

test #8
My apologies for the test but my last 3 posts haven't posted..... ...

Visio 2003 legend, no symbols
My legend says there are no symbols when I drag it, but my drawing has plenty. It worked before, but I don't know what i'm doing wrong Did you try dropping one of the shapes onto the legend? John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm Visio Wishlist http://www.mvps.org/visio/wish_list.htm "donna" <donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69C7A454-DC27-4483-B064-BF26AFE843A7@microsof...

Exchange Sink (X-Spam-Flag)
Hi there, im searching for an Ex-Script which generates a global-exchange rule to move mails with "X-Spam-Flag: Yes" inside the message-header to the junk-email-folder of the user. I know MabiLabs provide such an tool, but for this tool i need to upgrade the schema :-(. Did anybody implement such an rule and shares it with me ? Regards Timo FYI IMF Tune can do that, it needs no schema extension, but it is not free. http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/news/0923/openexchange.htm cheers, Alexander Zammit WinDeveloper Software IMF Tune - Unleash the Full Intelligent Message Fil...

Backup of Exchange Server
I am getting following error while backing the Microsoft Information Store. What might be the problem. Backup started on 27-Dec-04 at 5:30 PM. The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d). ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d). ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-' The operation was ended. What are you using to back up Exchange? 3rd party software (Veritas...

IMF in Exchange 2007
Hi, How do you enable/administer IMF under exchange 2007. Thanks It's called Content Filter Agent and it can be enabled using the Console - by default on Edge Transport servers. If you're not using an Edge server, you'll need to install antispam agents on Hub Transport server that receives inbound internet mail: http://www.exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/09/how-to-install-anti-spam-agents-on-hub.html Once you have these installed or have an Edge Transport server - in the Console - Org Configuration | Hub Transport | Anti-Spam tab | Content Filtering Properties. Action tab - se...

DPM 2010 with Hyper-V Live Migration Cluster protection and MSA200
Hello Everybody, we started trying the DPM2010 to protect our Hyper-V R2 "live migration" Environement. Our architecture is a simple 2 node cluster with an attached HP MSA2000 unit. we encountered some difficulties in the backup process, I'll try to explain: When starting the Virtual Machine backup using the child partition snapshot we got some errors in the Windows Event Log like The first is an error generated by CAPIVSSProvider (I think the hardware VSS provider of HP): capiCreateSnapshots() : Erreur Capi 0x000000BA (Error: CAPI_ERROR_EXCEED_MAX_SNAPS...

Exchange DR, what to do
Hello been asked to develop DR (DR as in an entire site being wiped out) plans for our organisations Exchange environment. We have two-node exchange clusters at siteA and at siteB. We have a separate DR site with a newly installed DC, and a standby Exchange Server. I originally had the idea of the following 1. in the event of a disaster, on the DR DC, seize all the FSMO roles 2. setup blank databases on the DR exchange server, use some script to set the homemdb, homemta, msexchhomeserver attributes to point at the DR server 3. users then (after rejigging their outlook profile) then open outl...

Archiving single sheets form workbook
Can I have only one sheet auto archive? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a workbook that has multiple pages. Periodically this workbook main page updates. Subsequently, all the other sheets update. The use will select certain sheets to print, archive and send to clients. I there a way to auto archive these sheets only when they are accesse via a hyperlink? Below is a sample I have used for workbooks created that only have on sheet. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = "$q$2" Then ActiveW...

Printing scale problem beetween Project 2003 and Project 2007
Hi, I have a little problem on 2 different computers with the same file. On one of the computers I have Project 2003 SP3 and on the other one I have Project 2007. The file needs to be printed on 1 page only and was saved like that. When I open the same file on each computer (without changing any options) I don't have the same result, the Print Preview with 2003 is ok. Print Preview with Project 2007 seems to have been reduced to fit the page hence it looks half the size of the preview lengthwise in 2003. Do you have any idea of what could be the problem? Thanks ...

Troubleshooting OMA using SSL on Windows 2003 DC
Hi there, I know, I shouldn't have, but it's done. Microsoft Exchange 2003 OWA/OMA is running on a Win2k3 DC with SSL. OWA works great, but OMA is having a complete meltdown. I've configured OWA to use forms-based authentication over SSL, and even followed the KB 817379 article (Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access errors occur when SSL or forms-based authentication is required for Exchange Server 2003), and went through the elaborate setup of duplicating the Exchange virtual directory, taking the SSL requirement off of that, and making the registry change. That didn&...

Pass Mark Performance Test 7.0 any good?
Has anyone any comments on the Pass Mark Performance test 7.0 for Windows 7? Intel Q8200, 6 GB RAM. To test overall system? ...