domain user with only Exchange/pop3 - limiting access rights #2

Hi,

I'm moving from external mail provider to my own Exchange 5.5 / w2k srv.

Some of my users has to use pop3 (not necessarily but anyway - offline
access).

Therefore I've got a question; what are steps to make domain user ONLY mail
user, not allowing him to login, access files etc. Will it be enough to
remove him from domain users group?

thx,
lunak

0
lunak (5)

Create security group for your POP3-ers and make sure that each machine
on the network (except server) restricts them from network access and
local logon. On the server make sure that group is explicitely denied
access to everything but mail.

Lunak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm moving from external mail provider to my own Exchange 5.5 / w2k srv.
>
> Some of my users has to use pop3 (not necessarily but anyway - offline
> access).
>
> Therefore I've got a question; what are steps to make domain user ONLY mail
> user, not allowing him to login, access files etc. Will it be enough to
> remove him from domain users group?
>
> thx,
> lunak

0
kpalagin1 (1216)
1/21/2004 12:12:25 PM
From: "Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@nomail.phxint.please.ru>

> Create security group for your POP3-ers and make sure that each machine
> on the network (except server) restricts them from network access and
> local logon. On the server make sure that group is explicitely denied
> access to everything but mail.

    so - domain policy settting for DC's "set access to this computers from
the network" was set to Everyone, which I'm going to remove, is it basically
all?

    and what do you mean 'explicitely denied access to everything but mail',
how to do this exatcly?

    is it possible to deny access to everything but mail simply?

    sorry but don't want to lose something... :-(
    thx,
    lunak

> Lunak wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm moving from external mail provider to my own Exchange 5.5 / w2k srv.
> >
> > Some of my users has to use pop3 (not necessarily but anyway - offline
> > access).
> >
> > Therefore I've got a question; what are steps to make domain user ONLY
mail
> > user, not allowing him to login, access files etc. Will it be enough to
> > remove him from domain users group?
> >
> > thx,
> > lunak

0
lunak (5)
1/21/2004 3:24:10 PM
hi,

my problem is still current, please help.

lunak

0
lunak (5)

Newbie question #2
Hi, I have just started working in VC++. I want to know how to save a file as a text file. In a dialog box i'm entering a person's age and name and i want to save it as a text file. Please help ! Gary Take a look at CStdioFile. CStdioFile::WriteString writes a string to the file. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Gary" <msnews@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:#CV7VMvjDHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have just started working in VC++. I want to know how to save a file as a > text file. > > In a dialog box i'...

Outlook unable to connect to Exchange
We recently migrated our SBS2k Exchange to a new exch'03 server. Everything is being controlled by the '03 server and all exchange services have been turned off on the SBS2k machine. When we turn off the SBS server, no one is able to connect to the '03 mail server. Suggestions? How did you migrate it? If you brought up a new server in the same Exchange organization, Outlook clients should update their profiles automatically. If you didn't, then you'll have to manually update each Outlook client's profile to point to the new server. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchan...

forged sender domain
Can anyone tell me if sending an email with a forged sender domain (for example the sender domain=the destination domain) actually violates any RFCs for internet mail? We are working with a service that sends legitimate mail to us but it appears "from" us. A recent policy addition by our ISP to block internet mail from our local domain has started blocking this real mail and we are left to solve the problem. Thanks I don't know about the RFCs but it will be flagged as suspect (possibly forged) if anyone is doing a reverse DNS lookup. Nue "William Gilles" <Wil...

Update Rollup for Exchange in sp1?
Does anyone know if the Update Rollup for Exchange (KB838236) Store Patch http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8bdaf1df-fec1-447f-9677-2204599a71f8&DisplayLang=en is included with Exchange server 2003 SP1? If not is it ok to apply after a SP1 deployment? Thanks It is included in SP1 "systimax" <systimax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50DB292F-D7DE-42C0-ABC1-355400006E7F@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know if the Update Rollup for Exchange (KB838236) Store Patch > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Famil...

User mail msgs delivered to administrator mbx
I have a bit of a mystery which I am at a loss as to how to track down. On a periodic cleanup of the administrator mailbox on a cliente SBS2003 I found a load of messages which should have been delivered to user mailboxes. Reading from the admin mailbox, the messages all have a to field set to the users name, and have not been reformatted such as may happen with bounced messages. If I take a particular message and check back in the logs the first mention in the daily log for a given message has from-column thesource@clientedom.com to-column administrator@mydom.com and not as you wo...

Cannot see child domain users in parent domain
Our domain has exchange servers in the parent domain and no exchange server in the child domain, when i create a mailbox for a user in the child domain the user can connect through OWA. The preview of the GAL on the server contains the user but on an outlook client i cannot find that user. the user cannot configure outlook because its name doesn't appear in the address list. help wanted please See if this helps re Outlook: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297801/en-us Nue "Hidma" <Hidma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0BF06DC-C9EC-483E-B219-FC3AB...

2 inbox, 2 sent items problem
Hello I have this strange problem in my Microsoft outlook - I have two inbox, 2 sent items, actually everything is twice. The main problem is that when email arrives the notification does not work (it is set/enabled to do). Hence to know if an email has arrived I have to everytime click on the Inbox which then shows that email had arrived some few hours early. Does any one have any solution for this please. My PC is connected to server and Exchange server is used for mail. The systems support fellow does not have a clue even though he created my account. Thank you Gina GINA wrote: > ...

Exch. Server in Child Domain
I've added both exchange servers in the replication tab of all the objects that I want to replicate... Should the folder just appear in the child domain users' public folder stack? Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 Dan Klinge wrote: > But.....how do I get the Parent Domain's calendars to show up in the Child > Domain's users' outlook??? > > > > "Dan Klinge" <Dan.Klinge@NOSPAMJERKArborMed.com> wrote in message > news:%23pblelKOGHA.3728@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >> Yes. I just setup replication of the two main public c...

Contacts Right Business Card Buttons wrong language
Hello, somehow my contacts have changed language in the buttons on the address cards, used to be western 123 then a, b, c etc, now it defaults to 123, a, 6, then symbols. Have uninstalled and reinstalled twice to no avail. I have checked the region and language areas and they are all fine. It is just annoying if anyone can help would be welcome. Thanks Michael ...

IIS service on Exchange SVR 2003 sp2
I am not sure if this is the correct spot to post...? I am running Ex Svr 2003 sp2, and have monitoring enabled. I am automatically emailed problems with the Services option. I get them a few times a week. Lately they have been getting worse up to 15 a day. I haven't been able to tell which service is the problem. But I think there is a problem with IIS as the other day I had 80 IIS error pop-up windows on the server. I looked at the IIS logs. I am running 3 websites on the server, Exchange and accessories, Symantec Mail Security for Exchange, and Administration (I think for Win...

Sorting problem #2
Dear all, I have a list of integers from A1 to A10. If I would like to store the absolute address of the third cell counted from the top in column A containing "1" in B1, what formula should I use? For example, if the data from A1 to A10 are 3, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 3, I want B1 stores "$A$5" as A5 is the third cell containing "1". Thanks in advance. Best Regards, Chris Chris, One way Add a column B with the cell names i.e a1,a2,a3,a4,a5,etc Enter in C1 ...........=B3 do a sort on A column after selecting a1:b10 Use the undo button, enter ne...

multiple Domains under one domain or multiple forests under one forest
I have to research on below scenario. Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only connected via WAN only. Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as =91APAC=92, and then we will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate Trees. Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia regional forest to one of Europe Domain. As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy f...

how to get a domain name
I sampled Outlook and obtained a license for it but how do I download it, open it or create it? Am I allowed a domain name? What are you talking about? Outlook is a PIM - nothing to do with = domains.=20 If you purchased Outlook, put in the CD, put in your PID when prompted, = then configure a mail account and start using Outlook. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, AJ asked: | I sampled Outlook and obtained...

HR needs to monitor a users mailbox
Our HR Department asked me if there is a way for them to see all mail that a particular user recieves, deletes, and sends out on a daily basis. I know I can give them access to the mailbox, but they could accidently open a message which might make the user aware that they are being monitored. What is the best way for me to make this happen? - move to a separate Store and enable message journaling - allow access to mailbox and change Outlook/OWA settings to "Do not automatically mark items as read" -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Bruce"...

User disabled undo in excel
I have a user who somehow has disabled the undo in a spreadsheet. That's odd. You mean if he types something in a cell and immediately presses Ctrl-z it doesn't disappear? -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "YvonneD" <YvonneD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C14E661-49AF-4199-A905-AE700042D28E@microsoft.com... |I have a user who somehow has disabled the undo in a spreadsheet. Thats right. Can for the life of me figure what he did. "Jim Rech" wrote: > That's odd. You mean if he types something in a cell and immediately > presses C...

OE removed access
OE removed access to attachments I'm truly amazed people are still having trouble with this!!!! Tools/Options/Security/ Uncheck "Do not allow... Chris "cmdupuis@gwi.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:056001c3b097$6b8bf330$a301280a@phx.gbl... > OE removed access to attachments Hit forward, then open or save the attachment and close the message. It's a new security feature to prevent accidental opening of viruses, either by yourself or scripting. you can disable it in tools | options | security, but I think the extra effort ...

how do I set up an input calendar for users in excel
I would like to display a calender box for users to select the date. Similar to those you see on the web. Is this possible in Excell (Office 2007). I will use the input for a lookup later on. Any advice please. Look here: http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "MikeL" <MikeL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FEE56819-E280-4EBD-8457-119AE42B040E@microsoft.com... >I would like to display a calender box for users to select the date. >Similar > to those you see on the web. Is this...

setting up oulook for pop3
I have never used outlook and am trying to set it up to connect through to another server. I have been set up on the other server and can receive email but I cannot send email out through outlook. I am using windowsXP and MSN9 with a DSL connection. I keep seeing something about an Outlook Connector for MSn but I don't see it and don't know where to get it. Can anyone help me, please? See if the info here helps: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011000051033.aspx "deborah" <deborah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EE528C3-1857-4D6D-B...

Access form set up
Hi, I've used excel for years but I'm completely new to Access (I've done the online training modules and that's about it) and have what probably is a simple question. How do I create a from that looks like a table or a spreadsheet? So for instance it has 10 or more rows and 4 columns. I would like to hide the labels so that it looks like a spreadsheet as well. I assume it would attach a unique number to each cell like excel does A1, B1, and so on. I would think that it could do this automatically. On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:15:01 -0800, Jwil <Jwil@discuss...

"Block auto-forward outside local domain" question
I know that Exchange can be configured to block auto-forward/redirection outside of it's own domain, and that this can be enabled for certain specified domains. But is there the possibility to add a "user exit" that can also enable this feature, based on some programtic criteria? For example, if Exchange user X has an external e-mail address my-x@somewhere.else.net, could a user exit allow X to auto-forward to their external account? If "yes", where is some information about this feature, and where would be a good place to configure the external e-mail address to mak...

Outlook 2003 hangs when creating new Exchange Account/Connection
Ok, well Im on the edge of giving up. Heres the Scenario I just got done installing my Exchange 2003 server on a windows 2003 server. Runs great. I went around and set up all the other computers in the office to connect to it and when i added them, they snapped to, i mean you go, control panel, email, new email, exchange account, and then put in your server name, and your user name, and you click check name, and it worked for everyone. Except my computer. My user name works on other computers. I was able to get one error to pop up saying it couldnt communicate with the server. But i c...

Intersite domain connection issues
I have been battling a strange problem that has been difficult to troubleshoot and difficult to explain or categorize. I'm hoping that someone may have encountered similar issues and have some ideas. Problem: About every 3 days or so, the exchange server in the branch office will experience some or all of the following problems: 1. Mail flow between the main office and this branch office will stop including outgoing and incoming Internet mail and mail. 2. From this server, I cannot connect to the administrative share (c$ or d$) of one or both of the domain controllers in the ...

right click option "pick from a list"
i'm wanting to know can the information from the "pick from a drop down list" list be exported some how? I've been handed a load of spread sheets and been told to create a database with the information. not that good with either excel or access as you may guess. So i;m trying to build a table and a form in access and it would save me loads of time if i could or if anyone can point me in right direction of the best practice or just point out if i;m going about things the wrong way.. All help would be very much appreciated. The items in the right-click "pick from l...

domain to domain TLS
Hello, In Exchange 2003 is there an easy way to enforce TLS between my domain and one or two specific external domains? I know there are some overriding, more global settings but in the case of just a few domains is what I'm more curious about. If possible, what would I need to do on my end and what would the recipient domain require to be done? Thanks for any help! Scroll down to: Enable Transport Layer Security Encryption for a Specific Remote Domain in an Exchange Organization in the following KBA: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829721 The remote domain would also need to co...

Changing Domain Name
We have mix W2k & W2k3 DCs and one E2k2 in a W2k3 member server. We now xxx.yyy.zzz.ca.us as our domain name. Now we have approval to change it to xxx.yyyyyyyy.gov format. What is the most efficient way to do it? We need to retain the old domain name with new domain name for a period of time to give our users enough time top inform their friends, other senders,etc. Thank you. -- JoeCL LACO-CAO In news:B8BD42A2-428A-4156-BE94-4CCAE8FF1E8E@microsoft.com, JoeCL <JoeCL@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > We have mix W2k & W2k3 DCs and one E2k2 in a W2k3 member server. ...