Domain transfer

Currently mails for my comapny domain are being hosted by a mail server in
singapore. They have given us a web interface to manage our domain settings
and we access all mails through the web interface. Now we have deployed
exchange server in our environment and tested it for a test domain and
everything seems to be working fine.

Now what we want to do is to transfer the company domain to our exchange
server.

Two questions

1 I have been told the transfer of MX record takes a certain amout of time
during which all mails sent to my domain will be lost. Is that true? if yes
what san be the solution?

2 I need to download each users mails from their respective mailboxes how do
i do that?

> Is that true?

No. A sending mail server will query for the MX record and send to
whichever one it finds.  It is possible (if unlikely) that some mail
servers won't pick up the change for some time and mail will continue to
arrive at the "old" server for a while after the switch. Just leave that
service in place for a while and recheck the accounts after a day or so.

Use this link (changing YOURDOMAIN.COM of course)

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=YOURDOMAIN.COM&type=MX

To determine the TTL on your MX.  That is the _maximum_ amount of time DNS
servers should take to see the new record.  The time is in seconds; 3600=1
hour, 86400=1 day, etc.

Once the MX has changed, you can use this link to see how well it is
propagating around the planet:

http://www.mob.net/~ted/tools/mx.php3

> I need to download each users mails from their respective mailboxes

If all you have is web access, you don't. You'll need to see if you can
get POP access, then set up Outlook to retrieve them into a PST (its
default behavior) and then copy those messages into the Exchange mailbox
after those are set up.

---
David L. West
http://www.deskoptional.com
0
nntp1 (63)
10/23/2005 4:50:12 PM

"David L. West" wrote:

> > Is that true?
>
> No. A sending mail server will query for the MX record and send to
> whichever one it finds.  It is possible (if unlikely) that some mail
> servers won't pick up the change for some time and mail will continue to
> arrive at the "old" server for a while after the switch. Just leave that
> service in place for a while and recheck the accounts after a day or so.
>
> Use this link (changing YOURDOMAIN.COM of course)
>
> http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=YOURDOMAIN.COM&type=MX
>
> To determine the TTL on your MX.  That is the _maximum_ amount of time DNS
> servers should take to see the new record.  The time is in seconds; 3600=1
> hour, 86400=1 day, etc.
>
> Once the MX has changed, you can use this link to see how well it is
> propagating around the planet:
>
> http://www.mob.net/~ted/tools/mx.php3
>

> > I need to download each users mails from their respective mailboxes
>
> If all you have is web access, you don't. You'll need to see if you can
> get POP access, then set up Outlook to retrieve them into a PST (its
> default behavior) and then copy those messages into the Exchange mailbox
> after those are set up.
>
> ---
> David L. West
> http://www.deskoptional.com

Thanx a lot David.

For the second problem i tried creating a HTTP account with the following URL

http://www.mydomain.com/webmail

but i receive the following error

Task 'http://www.mydomain: Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers.' reported
error (0x800CCCF4) : 'An unknown error has occurred. Please save any existing
work and restart the program.'

do you have any idea what this means.

forged sender domain
Can anyone tell me if sending an email with a forged sender domain (for example the sender domain=the destination domain) actually violates any RFCs for internet mail? We are working with a service that sends legitimate mail to us but it appears "from" us. A recent policy addition by our ISP to block internet mail from our local domain has started blocking this real mail and we are left to solve the problem. Thanks I don't know about the RFCs but it will be flagged as suspect (possibly forged) if anyone is doing a reverse DNS lookup. Nue "William Gilles" <Wil...

Cannot see child domain users in parent domain
Our domain has exchange servers in the parent domain and no exchange server in the child domain, when i create a mailbox for a user in the child domain the user can connect through OWA. The preview of the GAL on the server contains the user but on an outlook client i cannot find that user. the user cannot configure outlook because its name doesn't appear in the address list. help wanted please See if this helps re Outlook: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297801/en-us Nue "Hidma" <Hidma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0BF06DC-C9EC-483E-B219-FC3AB...

Exch. Server in Child Domain
I've added both exchange servers in the replication tab of all the objects that I want to replicate... Should the folder just appear in the child domain users' public folder stack? Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 Dan Klinge wrote: > But.....how do I get the Parent Domain's calendars to show up in the Child > Domain's users' outlook??? > > > > "Dan Klinge" <Dan.Klinge@NOSPAMJERKArborMed.com> wrote in message > news:%23pblelKOGHA.3728@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >> Yes. I just setup replication of the two main public c...

multiple Domains under one domain or multiple forests under one forest
I have to research on below scenario. Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only connected via WAN only. Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as =91APAC=92, and then we will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate Trees. Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia regional forest to one of Europe Domain. As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy f...

Transferring Office 2008 from PowerPC to Intel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Hi I have MSO 2008 installed on my PowerPC iMac. I'm about to buy a new iMac and want to transfer all of my applications and user data, as is done with any new Mac. My question is: is the MS Office 2008 currently installed on my PowerPC Mac binary? Will it work in Rosetta or will it be Intel native once transferred to the new iMac? Or do I have to reinstall the program? Thanks in advance for your help. -Ric On 6/30/08 12:22 PM, in article 59b52c6b.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Ricalonso@officeformac.com"...

how to get a domain name
I sampled Outlook and obtained a license for it but how do I download it, open it or create it? Am I allowed a domain name? What are you talking about? Outlook is a PIM - nothing to do with = domains.=20 If you purchased Outlook, put in the CD, put in your PID when prompted, = then configure a mail account and start using Outlook. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, AJ asked: | I sampled Outlook and obtained...

"Block auto-forward outside local domain" question
I know that Exchange can be configured to block auto-forward/redirection outside of it's own domain, and that this can be enabled for certain specified domains. But is there the possibility to add a "user exit" that can also enable this feature, based on some programtic criteria? For example, if Exchange user X has an external e-mail address my-x@somewhere.else.net, could a user exit allow X to auto-forward to their external account? If "yes", where is some information about this feature, and where would be a good place to configure the external e-mail address to mak...

Intersite domain connection issues
I have been battling a strange problem that has been difficult to troubleshoot and difficult to explain or categorize. I'm hoping that someone may have encountered similar issues and have some ideas. Problem: About every 3 days or so, the exchange server in the branch office will experience some or all of the following problems: 1. Mail flow between the main office and this branch office will stop including outgoing and incoming Internet mail and mail. 2. From this server, I cannot connect to the administrative share (c$ or d$) of one or both of the domain controllers in the ...

How to transfer autocompletion cache to new profile?
I want to move a user to a new domain, but they do not want to lose the cached email addresses in outlook, so how can I copy this cache to the new profile? You can try to copy the NK2 file from the current profile and use it to replace the NK2 file in the new profile. Make sure you rename it to match the NK2 file name in the new profile. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Paul" <pauls@promedianj.com> wrote in message news:25c101c3c03b$16042640$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > I want to move a user to a new domain, but they > do not want to lose the cached email addresses in outlook...

domain to domain TLS
Hello, In Exchange 2003 is there an easy way to enforce TLS between my domain and one or two specific external domains? I know there are some overriding, more global settings but in the case of just a few domains is what I'm more curious about. If possible, what would I need to do on my end and what would the recipient domain require to be done? Thanks for any help! Scroll down to: Enable Transport Layer Security Encryption for a Specific Remote Domain in an Exchange Organization in the following KBA: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829721 The remote domain would also need to co...

In Word 2007 how do I transfer Styles from a template to another D
My customer wants me to use his template in a document that has already been written. On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 04:29:01 -0700, Techwriter II <TechwriterII@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My customer wants me to use his template in a document that has already been >written. I answered your identical question yesterday. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement&tid=b5ce82a1-51c3-49eb-8165-7e1c60761bd9&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1 -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ...

Changing Domain Name
We have mix W2k & W2k3 DCs and one E2k2 in a W2k3 member server. We now xxx.yyy.zzz.ca.us as our domain name. Now we have approval to change it to xxx.yyyyyyyy.gov format. What is the most efficient way to do it? We need to retain the old domain name with new domain name for a period of time to give our users enough time top inform their friends, other senders,etc. Thank you. -- JoeCL LACO-CAO In news:B8BD42A2-428A-4156-BE94-4CCAE8FF1E8E@microsoft.com, JoeCL <JoeCL@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > We have mix W2k & W2k3 DCs and one E2k2 in a W2k3 member server. ...

Joing old domain and new domain.
Hi, I have a Windows 2003 domain, seperate Exchange 2003 server which is quite flaky and I am in the process of designing and building a new Windows 2008 domain, Exchange 2010. The two will act in the begining as seperate domains but will have to interact for data transfer and more importantly moving Exchange mailboxes. What is the best way to achieve this with the idea of dissolving the 2003 domain eventually and running only on the 2008 one. Will I have to do an adprep? is a trust relationship the best way of doing it? These are the type of things I need to know. Any ...

Master Inventory site auto transfer
Master Inventory Site should have an utility to auto transfer inventory to subordinate sites based on subordinate demand at any time ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default...

Setup multiple domains
My boss owns multiple companies and each has a registerd domain name. Can a single SBS2003 exchange sever host all of the domains and allow traffic to all the different domains via pop? Point me in the right direction please. Thanks On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:27:04 -0800, "Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My boss owns multiple companies and each has a registerd domain name. Can a >single SBS2003 exchange sever host all of the domains and allow traffic to >all the different domains via pop? > >Point me in the right direction please. > &g...

Changing Domain Login
Our sysadmin group changed the domain login for a user because she got married and took her husband's last name, so she can't log into CRM anymore. Is there a way to change her login in CRM? Will changing it in SystemUserBase work? -- David Jennaway - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.excitation.co.uk There's no supported way to change the login in CRM. Updating systemuserbase directly is the only way to do it; it works fine, but is unsupported. The suppported way to cope with this scenario is to create a new AD account and new CRM user, then reassign all CRM ent...

Force e-mail rec'd from one specific domain to plain text
Hi Does anyone know how to force all e-mail from one specific domain using an exchange server to be plain text? We have one specific domain that sends html based e-mail to our Outlook 2003 clients that freeze them temp when they attempt to forward the e-mails along I would like to avoid forcing all e-mail to plain text if possible Thoughts? Ian from Canada You'd need to do something on the exchange server - I think you need to use an event sink, but check with the exchange groups to be sure. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &...

hosting multiple domains #3
Hi Im running exchange 2003 on a windows 2003 AD domain. I am trying to host a second domain on my server. I have created a group in ADUC and populated this group with the users whom i want to recieve the 2nd domain email address. I setup my email address policy and i search for this group based on the groups distingushed name. The policy runs fine, but only the group i created gets the 2nd domains email address, none of the users i put in this group do. Do i have to create another recipient policy based on a user attribute? this would mean that i would have to create two recipient policies o...

Routing mails to another domain for the same user in this domain
Hi, We have couple of outside vendors in our work place who have their email address here. But they would like to have any email communication that comes to this email address to be either forwarded or sent to their email address. I checked in Exchange 2003 to add their email address but could not do it. Went to the properties of the User / Exchange General / Delivery Options and found that I could only add the email address from my AD and could not add the users outside email address. Any suggestions or is there a way to do it? thanks, Neil We usually create contacts for the ext...

How to restore Exchange backup to a new domain
Hi. I had to reinstall SBS 2003 because Directory Services would not start (ntds.dit corrupted) and no backup was available. Now I need to recover some mail from the old Exchange info store. I have a good Windows backup of the Exchange Server and the original exchsrvr folders are still intact. Can I install SBS 2003 on a temporary server and restore Exchange from the backup or somehow connect the prior exchsrvr data files to the new Exchange Server? I briefly attempted to restore Exchange from the backup while in the throes of the re-install but could not due to some sort of securi...

Same Domain, multiple domain names?
We have a domain name, companya.com which is both the windows 2000 domain as well as the e-mail domain. We recently completed 2 acquisitions, companyb and companyc. I want to be able to house all companies e-mails under the companya domain, but still be able to send and receive under the companyb.com and/or companyc.com as well as the original companya.com. how do I set it up so that all three domains are set up, and that particular users have either a, b, or c as thier default e-mail address? Thanks Joe Well... depends on where the users for CompanyB and CompanyC reside... do th...

Categorizing a Transfer for use in Budget
I would like to be able to categorize a transfer, the way you would a withdrawal/deposit. Is it possible? Here's the situation.....Let's say I have $50 leftover in my budgeted amount for Vacation and I don't want to reallocate it. I'd like to put it in my Savings account, categorized as Vacation. I also track my Savings account in MS Money. The only way I can see to do this is make a withdrawal from checking and deposit in Savings, without tracking the Savings account in the budget. Any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated. "Categorize a transfer" is a co...

Hosting SMTP Domains
I am upgrading from Exch 5.5 to Exchange 2003 and have the ADC running. In Exch 5.5 I have a IMS Connector which has over 25 entries in the routing tab, either classed as inbound or routed to. Some of the domains are for mailbox enabled users, while other domains are for mail enabled contacts or public folders. Do I need to create multiple receipient policies for each smtp domain. ? How do I treat the routed to domain.? Also in Exch 5.5 I was allowing - automatic replies to the internet - for a specific email domain only, how can it be done in Exch 2003.?? This is so mail can be redirected ...

Transfer to a New Brokerage (Investment) Account #2
Hey All, I am in the process of moving all of my accounts from a small private firm to Fidelity. Obviously the small guys don't do on-line anything, so I have been entering stuff for years on my own. How do I go about transferring everything into the new Fidelity accounts since it uses on-line updates without losing my historical data; basically, I don't want my capital gains report to get messed up by using the "Transfer Account" function. Any ideas? -David In microsoft.public.money, "David Brenner" <David Brenner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Exchange2003 restrict domain admins access
Hi, We have Exchange2003 server and all domain admins are able to open any mailbox without making any permissions changes. How can I restrict their access so that they can't just open any mailbox they feel like. I have setup host monitor to alert me if they access any foreign mailbox, but what should I change in exchange - they have access to any mailbox. I have addedd the registry key to see the security key in ESM, but when I look at the domain admins everything is greyed out, but they have full permissions. Where should I be looking? Thanks -- George On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:10:...