Do I need to install 'ADC' for this upgrade path?

Good day,

I have been trying to sponge up as much information as possible prior to
doing an inplace upgrade to 2003 Server from NT 4.0 and I have one question
with regards to this upgrade and Exchange 5.5 on a Member server.

I was under the impression that once I upgrade my PDC to 2003
(w/nt4emulator=1) this change over would be transparent to the users (seeing
as all SIDS remain constant) and they would be able to access all resources
etc. on the network (including exchange mailboxes).

I've read a few posts about people installing the ADC tools so their DCs can
properly communicate with Exchange.  If Exchange 5.5 is on a member server
and an inplace upgrade was done on the domain, I was under the impression
that nothing else was required.

Perhaps I'm missing a key issue here and need to double check my upgrade
path.  Could someone shed some light on this for me please? (I am in single
domain, 1 pdc, 3 bdcs, 2 member servers (one of which is exch 5.5)

Thanks!

Just as a follow up, I do not plan to upgrade to Exchange 2003 for several
months yet, and at that time I realize that ADC *is* required.  In an
environment with the OS as 2k3 and exchange 5.5 on an nt4 member, is ADC
needed?  (this was what I was trying to get at :)   )

Thx again.

"TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message
> Good day,
> I've read a few posts about people installing the ADC tools so their DCs
can
> properly communicate with Exchange.  If Exchange 5.5 is on a member server
> and an inplace upgrade was done on the domain, I was under the impression
> that nothing else was required.
>
> Perhaps I'm missing a key issue here and need to double check my upgrade
> path.  Could someone shed some light on this for me please? (I am in
single
> domain, 1 pdc, 3 bdcs, 2 member servers (one of which is exch 5.5)
>
> Thanks!

You are correct.

If you only have Exchange 5.5 and do not care to manage mailboxes from AD
there is no need for an ADC until you get ready to upgrade.

--
Michael Barta [MSFT]
Microsoft Exchange Support

newsgroup purposes only.

> Just as a follow up, I do not plan to upgrade to Exchange 2003 for several
> months yet, and at that time I realize that ADC *is* required.  In an
> environment with the OS as 2k3 and exchange 5.5 on an nt4 member, is ADC
> needed?  (this was what I was trying to get at :)   )
>
> Thx again.
>

> "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message
> > Good day,
> > I've read a few posts about people installing the ADC tools so their DCs
> can
> > properly communicate with Exchange.  If Exchange 5.5 is on a member
server
> > and an inplace upgrade was done on the domain, I was under the
impression
> > that nothing else was required.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm missing a key issue here and need to double check my upgrade
> > path.  Could someone shed some light on this for me please? (I am in
> single
> > domain, 1 pdc, 3 bdcs, 2 member servers (one of which is exch 5.5)
> >
> > Thanks!

0
mbarta (202)
4/7/2004 2:33:51 PM
Thank you for the confirmation Michael.

"Michael Barta [MSFT]" <mbarta@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You are correct.
>
> If you only have Exchange 5.5 and do not care to manage mailboxes from AD
> there is no need for an ADC until you get ready to upgrade.

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

upgrade from office 2004 to 2008
hi upgraders, <br> are there any problems regarding the upgrade to 2008, esp. assuming all old data like emails, dates and so on ? <br> thanx In article <ee89959.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, realist01@officeformac.com wrote: > hi upgraders, <br> > are there any problems regarding the upgrade to 2008, esp. assuming all old > data like emails, dates and so on ? <br> You can read on these groups that there are some people who have had problems. Of course, the people that haven't had problems usually don't post! While Entourage 2008 will impor...

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

need help badly

I need Help

BCM install
I installed the Business Contact Manager. I was already using Outlook 2003. After the installation I thought that new menus would be added or something, but there isn't anything that I see to use the BCM features. I restarted. I browsed to the BCM directory and ran the enable.exe and it says it is already enabled. Suggestions? John Are you also using Exchange? BCM is not compatible with an Exchange account. - Sue Mosher, Outlook MV Outlook and Exchange solutions at http://www.slipstick.com Author o Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users,...

Could not install custom actions. The object could not be found.
How do I easily fix this Please see http://www.officeforlawyers.com/howask.htm -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Help" <Help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:168E404F-B740-4DEB-9F5A-83D3E1BA2DB9@microsoft.com... > How do I easily fix this > ...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

EX2003 SP2 Install failed
Hello, I am trying to install SP2 on a OWA server running Exch 2003 and SP1. When I get to the Component Selection screeen I get a pop-up stating: Multiple components cannot be assigned the requested action(s) because: - You cannot install this product on a computer running Windows Professional. SRVinfo displays: Server Name: OWAmail2 Security: Users Registered Owner: ELN Registered Organization: HOME Corp ProductID: 69712-XXX-6517171-XXXXX Original Install Date: Sat Aug 14 11:04:36 2004 Base Source Path: D:\I386 Service Pack Source Path: D:\ Version: 5.2 Build: 3790.srv03_gdr.05022...

Upgrade to Exchange 2003 SP2 Frontend/Backend
Hi, We're about to upgrade from Exchange 2003 SP1 to Exchange 2003 SP2. We're running multiple Exchange Clusters on Backend servers, and have to load balancing Frontend Servers. Can we do the upgrade step by ste. By that I mean upgrading the 2 Frontend servers and 1 cluster at one time, and 2 of the other clusters the next day.. Or do we have to do the upgrade in one operation? One of the reasons for the upgrade is to support windows mobile 5 devices. Can we use the function with SP2 installed only on the Frontend servers? Users who are going to use the active sync feature hav ma...

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Can NOT install on new Win 7 machine
This is a new one for me. But for 2 days I have been trying to get Windows Live Mail to install on a new Win 7 computer. I just keep getting weird error messages. I have installed this programs many times on many computers, and never had this happen before...I get errors like these: hr:0x80040005 another time I got hr:0x80070003 . I get something similar every time. I have tried using the Microsoft Installer Uninstall cleanup Utility I have turned OFF the firewall when installing I have tried selecting only the mail or other things...it doesn't seem to matter... HELP!!! T ...

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

Need Help with Excel and Flagging Outcomes!
I’m using Excel 2007, and here is my question… I want to put a formula in cell C3 that looks at outcomes in cell B3. If the raw score outcome in cell B3 has the following values, I would like cell C3 to provide the following words: IF: THEN: B3=Blank C3=Blank B3= Greater than 0-1.9 C3=Definitely False B3=2.0-2.9 C3=Mostly False B3=3.0-3.9 C3=Don’t Know B3=4.0-4.9 C3=Mostly True B3= 5.0 or greater C3=Definitely True Thank you for your help! Hi This should do it: =IF(B3=0,"",IF(B3<2,"Definet...

I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.
I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the number of employees available in each team. I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule. Likewise with the total number of emp...