do i have a problem??

A few weeks ago my exchange 2003 server started messing me around.  I posted
here and got a few pieces of help, but I think that I fixed that issues by
applying several exchange specific patches, then server 2003 SP1, then
enabling the directory filtering and the tarpit with a 5 second timeout.  The
box has stopped crashing (previously it would stop delivering main to the
mailboxes, filling up the queues with many thousands of messages)

Now I have a new problem.  In the last week I have started getting memory
errors from the system notification.
I found a previous posting that offered up some things to monitor which I
have done for a week
Here are my results at this moment (unchanged in 4 days):

Free System PTE=  16311
VM Largest Block Size=  864550912
VM total 16MB Free Blocks= 7
VM Total Free Blocks= 263
VM Total Free Block Bytes=  994353152
store.exe Virtual Bytes=2006MB (this jumps from 1600MB to just under 2000MB
a few days after a reboot and will not go down.)

part of my boot.ini:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard"
/fastdetect /3GB /Userva=3030 /NoExecute=OptOut
server is a 2.4GHz Zeon, 3 GB RAM.

I can’t decide if my box is healthy or if I have a problem.  Aside from the
memory errors the box works pretty good, no mail is getting backed up, no
crash, no event logs.
The Best Practices Analyzer Tool shows that everything is peachy as well.

And apparently, no available memory…

Your thoughts?  Could the tarpitting and Account filtering be doing this?
It only started once I turned these on.
0
pathfinder (14)

=pathfinder= <pathfinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>A few weeks ago my exchange 2003 server started messing me around.  I posted
>here and got a few pieces of help, but I think that I fixed that issues by
>applying several exchange specific patches, then server 2003 SP1, then
>enabling the directory filtering and the tarpit with a 5 second timeout.  The
>box has stopped crashing (previously it would stop delivering main to the
>mailboxes, filling up the queues with many thousands of messages)
>
>Now I have a new problem.  In the last week I have started getting memory
>errors from the system notification.

What sort of memory errors?

>I found a previous posting that offered up some things to monitor which I
>have done for a week
>Here are my results at this moment (unchanged in 4 days):
>
>Free System PTE=  16311
>VM Largest Block Size=  864550912
>VM total 16MB Free Blocks= 7
>VM Total Free Blocks= 263
>VM Total Free Block Bytes=  994353152
>store.exe Virtual Bytes=2006MB (this jumps from 1600MB to just under 2000MB
>a few days after a reboot and will not go down.)

Are you using an "exchange-aware" anti-virus scanner? On a machine
such as yous I'd expect to see the store use between 1.3 and 1.6GB of
memory. The 2GB seems a bit high and may be indicative of a memory
leak. But if nothing else is running on the server this *may* not be a
real problem if it never goes higher than 2GB.

>part of my boot.ini:
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard"
>/fastdetect /3GB /Userva=3030 /NoExecute=OptOut
>server is a 2.4GHz Zeon, 3 GB RAM.
>
>I can�t decide if my box is healthy or if I have a problem.  Aside from the
>memory errors the box works pretty good, no mail is getting backed up, no
>crash, no event logs.
>The Best Practices Analyzer Tool shows that everything is peachy as well.

So you've applied the registry change to the
HeapDeCommitFreeBlockThreshold value?

>And apparently, no available memory�

?? Where do you see that? Are you referring to physical or virtual

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

In the last week I have started getting memory errors from the system
notification.
What sort of memory errors?
* system event notification from Exchange.

Are you using an "exchange-aware" anti-virus scanner? On a machine
such as yous I'd expect to see the store use between 1.3 and 1.6GB of
memory. The 2GB seems a bit high and may be indicative of a memory leak. But
if nothing else is running on the server this *may* not be a real problem if
it never goes higher than 2GB.
* I do run Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft® Exchange, Version:
4.5.2.736, and GFI mailessentials V10.1 for Spam filtering.  It never goes
above 2Gb.  About 4 days into the full memory scenario last week the CPU
started running at 40% load until I rebooted. Store.exe was creating the
load.  I don’t yet know if it was related or not, I will see in a few days.

So you've applied the registry change to the HeapDeCommitFreeBlockThreshold
value?
* Yes, hex value of 0x00040000

>And apparently, no available memory…
?? Where do you see that? Are you referring to physical or virtual
memory?
* Virtual Memory threshold in the Status monitor is currently at 0%
currently available.
0
pathfinder (14)
9/15/2005 5:12:09 PM
=pathfinder= <pathfinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>my comments have an *.
>
>In the last week I have started getting memory errors from the system
>notification.
>What sort of memory errors?
>* system event notification from Exchange.

Are there any events related to this in the Applications Log?

>Are you using an "exchange-aware" anti-virus scanner? On a machine
>such as yous I'd expect to see the store use between 1.3 and 1.6GB of
>memory. The 2GB seems a bit high and may be indicative of a memory leak. But
>if nothing else is running on the server this *may* not be a real problem if
>it never goes higher than 2GB.
>* I do run Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft� Exchange, Version:
>4.5.2.736, and GFI mailessentials V10.1 for Spam filtering.  It never goes
>above 2Gb.  About 4 days into the full memory scenario last week the CPU
>started running at 40% load until I rebooted. Store.exe was creating the
>load.  I don�t yet know if it was related or not, I will see in a few days.

I'm not familiar with the Symantec AV stuff. Does it use MAPI or the
AVAPI to do its work? Does it have the ability to run multiple scans
at the same time, or must it run only in single process/thread mode?

When you look at the CPU consumption by the store, is it always one
thread that's consuming lots of CPU time? It's easier to spot if you
run PerfMon with the display in "histogram". The bad guys will stick
out a lot more clearly. :)  If it's alwaysone thread, it could be a
message loop. Or something the AV scanner's choking on. Or it might be
something else completely. But at least you'd have an idea of where
the problem lies. It's not normal to see a steady 40% CPU consumption
in the store. The store usually jumps up and down in lots of peaks and
valleys.

>So you've applied the registry change to the HeapDeCommitFreeBlockThreshold
>value?
>* Yes, hex value of 0x00040000

Good. But that's not gonna help with 40% CPU time. :)

>>And apparently, no available memory�
>?? Where do you see that? Are you referring to physical or virtual
>memory?
>* Virtual Memory threshold in the Status monitor is currently at 0%
>currently available.

That sure sounds like a memory leak. Maybe you should start moitoring
the "private bytes" of the processes and see which one isn't releasing
the memory. If it's the store then I'd be looking at the AV software.
If it's inetserver then look at GFI.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
always one
thread that's consuming lots of CPU time? It's easier to spot if you
run PerfMon with the display in "histogram". The bad guys will stick
out a lot more clearly. :)  "
what eactly will i be adding to permon?

I add the "private bytes" of the processes,  everything is pretty steady,
not much changing so what am i looking for?
0
pathfinder (14)
9/16/2005 6:59:01 PM
=pathfinder= <pathfinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Rich, you said "When you look at the CPU consumption by the store, is it
>always one
>thread that's consuming lots of CPU time? It's easier to spot if you
>run PerfMon with the display in "histogram". The bad guys will stick
>out a lot more clearly. :)  "
>what eactly will i be adding to permon?

Thread / %Processor Time / store/0, store/1, etc.

>I add the "private bytes" of the processes,  everything is pretty steady,
>not much changing so what am i looking for?

A slow, steady growth in the size of "private bytes" for a process.
The memory leak (if that's what it is) may be small and it may not be
noticible under all operating conditions.

You can also add the Process / Working Set / Store
And the same for whatever AV you use.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

sync problems

Date problem

Installation Problem!!

Office 2007 - HELP

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...

Lookup() problem
I set up two lists, 200 employees names and 200 employee numbers. A couple of the numbers match the correct names but the rest of the numbers all pull the same employee name. =LOOKUP(C4,List!C4:C204,List!B4:B204) The first time I tried it seemed to pull the correct matching names and numbers then kabui it gets stuck. I tried deleting the entire lists cells and all and starting over but same thing. Anyone ever run into this before? Wayman Don't forget! When using Lookup(), the vector (second argument) must be sorted in ascending order. If it's not, you'll get what you ca...

Problem creating credit card account
When creating a Chase or Amazon.com credit cards I am having this happen to me when it creates the card and I can't figure out how to fix it so there is just one card showing. I attached a jpeg of what I am seeing. It's like it created multiple instances of the card and also show balances of my other cards. I am not sure if it is because these cards are associated with Chase or what. When I had it setup the online service for the card then that is when it creates the other instances. I hope someone can makes sence of this. Thanks! ...

Problems with CRichEditCtrl problems
Hi, I'd like to have some help regarding something I'm having an hard time figuring out. I'm develloping a chat programm where the Output window is a rich edit ctrl (I used CRichEditCtrl in one cases and CreateWindowEx(.."RichEdit"..) in the other one. I use StreamIn to stream in the chat information (since I want to use the rft format). I user \Par to perfrom line skipping, however, for some reason, on the computer of one of my user who's using Windows98, it doesn't not work and instand of seeing the text the way it should be (with the line skipping) the...

OL 2003 registry or installn problem
Outlook 2003 (part of office 2003 suite) opens and forgets password for email accounts. Tried to open tools-email account and I got operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. also can' view Outlook store location, can't open property of folder w/o getting error message tried restart in control panel-mail, can't see any account for any of the profiles. tried restoring form office settings and failed tried repair and no better result what else can I do other than total uninstall / re-install and still keep the app't, tasks, reminders for the m...