disk space gone

Our storage group transaction volume for public folders and for another mail
information store (not the log volume) supposedly has only 700MB left out of
24Gb. However, all the files in the volume only add up to around 9 Gb.There
are only 4 files: the two stm's and the two edb's. There is no page file in
the volume and I unhid system files and still didn't see any files. Do you
have any idea where the rest of the 15 Gb is? I also checked the whitespace
and it's up to around 167MB.

On a side note, when should I be doing an offline defrag to remove this
whitespace? When it gets to a certain size? after so many days?

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:46:17 -0400, "GC Postmaster"
<email_accounts@gordon.edu> wrote:

>Our storage group transaction volume for public folders and for another mail
>information store (not the log volume) supposedly has only 700MB left out of
>24Gb. However, all the files in the volume only add up to around 9 Gb.There
>are only 4 files: the two stm's and the two edb's. There is no page file in
>the volume and I unhid system files and still didn't see any files. Do you
>have any idea where the rest of the 15 Gb is? I also checked the whitespace
>and it's up to around 167MB.
>
>On a side note, when should I be doing an offline defrag to remove this
>whitespace? When it gets to a certain size? after so many days?

What are we talking about, free space within the database or free
space on the volume?
If your partition os 24GB and you're showing a smaller amount of free
space than you think there is then I think I saw a Windows KB article
a good while ago that gave some possible answers for you. If the
priv1.edb, priv1.stm, pub1.edb and pub1.stm only add up to 9GB, and
you are not holding the log files on the same place (and can't find
them for some wacky reason) then have a look at the system rather than
Exchange.

0
mark7219 (5667)
10/12/2005 1:23:15 PM
Google search for TreeSize.  It's a small app that will run through the file
system and show you which directories are taking up all the space.

As far as offline defrag, if it were up to me, I'd pretty much never do one.
If you are insistent on doing them, then I'd suggest the following:
1.  Only if there is a "significant" amount of white space.  Significant to
me means that 33% or more of the database is white space.  Why?  Because
Exchange re-uses white space before it physically extends the database size
on disk.
2.  If a LOT of mailboxes have been moved to another server, or deleted -
this would actually be an extension of #1, as moving mailboxes will also
create white space once they have been purged.
3.  If you are using Exchange Standard, and are approaching the 16GB limit.
This is somewhat negated by SP2, due out soon, which will increase the
"licensed" limit to 75GB (modifiable via registry key).

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"GC Postmaster" <email_accounts@gordon.edu> wrote in message
> Our storage group transaction volume for public folders and for another
> mail information store (not the log volume) supposedly has only 700MB left
> out of 24Gb. However, all the files in the volume only add up to around 9
> Gb.There are only 4 files: the two stm's and the two edb's. There is no
> page file in the volume and I unhid system files and still didn't see any
> files. Do you have any idea where the rest of the 15 Gb is? I also checked
> the whitespace and it's up to around 167MB.
>
> On a side note, when should I be doing an offline defrag to remove this
> whitespace? When it gets to a certain size? after so many days?

0
Ben
10/12/2005 1:38:07 PM
Thanks so much guys.

My backup manager just came to me and said a snapshot failed to purge the
old snapshot and that's what was taking up the space. I guess you can't see
the snapshot files unless you look in the disk properties under the tab for
it.

I wonder if TreeSize would have seen this snapshot file.

"GC Postmaster" <email_accounts@gordon.edu> wrote in message
> Our storage group transaction volume for public folders and for another
> mail information store (not the log volume) supposedly has only 700MB left
> out of 24Gb. However, all the files in the volume only add up to around 9
> Gb.There are only 4 files: the two stm's and the two edb's. There is no
> page file in the volume and I unhid system files and still didn't see any
> files. Do you have any idea where the rest of the 15 Gb is? I also checked
> the whitespace and it's up to around 167MB.
>
> On a side note, when should I be doing an offline defrag to remove this
> whitespace? When it gets to a certain size? after so many days?

in excel 8 always equals 10! whats gone wrong??
8=10 this doesnt seem right when i go to a cell and type 8 and then navigate away from the cell, it changes to ten, this happens with any sheet i open, existing or blank. I have re-installed the entirty of office and still nothing, update windows, just to get security updates. So what could have gone wrong? Thanks Please Help oH yeh if you enter in 08 it changes to 8 ? -- greenfalco ----------------------------------------------------------------------- greenfalcon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1362 View this thread: http://www.exce...

Which disk is it?
I was looking at the Event Viewer System log, and noticed some warnings: Event Type: Warning Event Source: Disk Event Category: None Event ID: 51 Date: 2010-05-28 Time: 04:29:08 User: N/A Computer: DELL Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation. But I can't figure out which exactly disk it is (I have several mounted). Is Harddisk1 the same as Disk 1 in the Disk Management utility? Where can I see which disk in the \Device\ hierarchy corresponds to which disk in the other utilities? (WinXP, of course, that's...

remove spacing
Hi, i hv a column that contains all the model name. I want to remove the spacing in the model name. e.g. from abc 123 to abc123. May i know how to do it. Thank you Select the col range Click Edit>Replace Type a space in the "Find what:" box Leave "Replace with:" empty Click Replace All -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Tiffany" wrote: > Hi, > > i hv a column that contains all the model name. I want to remove the spacing > in the model name. e.g. from abc 123 to abc123. May i know how to do it. > > T...

What is the maximun Hard Disk space required for Exchange Server 2
We are actually planning to have 500GB of Hard Disk for Exchage Server 2003. Is there any Disk limitation on how much can we have for Exchage Server 2003. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 06:06:02 -0700, Hasher <Hasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are actually planning to have 500GB of Hard Disk for Exchage Server 2003. >Is there any Disk limitation on how much can we have for Exchage Server 2003. >Any help is much appreciated. Thanks > In Enterprise Ed? Nope. Standard? 75GB with Exch 2003 Sp2. ...

Back Up to Disk
How can an individual folder be archived to a disk? Old Red One <oldred1@charter.net> wrote: > How can an individual folder be archived to a disk? Create a new PST and copy the folder to it. Close the new PST. -- Brian Tillman ...

The disk is full #2
I have had a problem recently where when I open excel for the first time when booting up my pc I get the message "The disk is full". When I close excel and reopen again it seems to work fine, until the next time I start my pc. It is driving me mad...please anyone any ideas. I had this error message pop-up on me when I used to try and save some of my larger XL files when other XL files were open at the same time. I had run out of partitioned disk space on the network. Solution was to add more. >-----Original Message----- >I have had a problem recently where when I ope...

Where or where has my cash flow gone???
Money Deluxe 04. Cash flow was always working now when I click on it I'm told to add accounts even though there are ooddles of them. I tried repair but no help. Any ideas? ...

Disk space error???
Hi, Running Exchange 2010 on Server 2008 trying to back up with DPM 2010 on 2008 server. I am getting the following error: Backup attempted at '5/13/2010 2:41:56 PM' failed to start, error code '2155348040'. Further research tells me that I am "out of disk space" According to DPM server on backup disk I have 1,863 GB of free space and 89% unallocated. I am also seeing the "replica inconsistent" message. I have ran the checker and it runs only to bring up the same error. Where is this disk space missing? Can you copy paste the Alert/C...

Will DPM 2010 include Disk to Disk to USB Disk instead of tape?
In 2007 if I want to backup to usb for offsite I have to use a third party program like Firestreamer to make the usb disk look like a Tape. Will 2010 allow us to use usb drives or ESata drive for offsite storage? This would be way cool since Tape can be very expensive for large data sets... USB drives are cheap and again if goes bad get another one. Dan Thanks Dan for your feedback. We have been getting this request from our customers but so far this is not in the list of DPM 2010 features. I'll pass on your feedback to the product group. -- Gaurav Gupta | Program Manag...

Disk Defragment?
When I set the Defragmenter to defag at a specified date and time it never does because where is lists the "next scheduled run" is has listed "never" and I don't know how to get rid of the "never" See screen shot below. Appreciate your help. [image: http://www.idf50.co.uk/webhost/members/duane/images/defag.jpg] duane -- duaneProf Usually this caused because your computer doen't need defragmenting when it does it will run it on the next schedule -- Shadowjk Josh Many thanks for your reply. I hope that's the answer.....I...

Absence Request gone?
How are Absence/Vacation Requests handled in GP 10? I could swear there was a place in the business portal 2.0 for GP 9.0... I can't find any information discussing this process for GP 10/BP 3.0 (WSS 2007) • Is this process now built-in the portal? • Do companies have to build a workflow in the portal? • Do we have to buy the HRM module? • How can we make sure it is integrate with the portal and the back end? We would rather use the GP process vs installation the new MOSS templates that are not connected with the GP database... Thanks for anyone's help or pointers. ...

disk boot failure insert the system disk.
My son formated his hard disk and put windows ultimat. His computer acted slugishly, it wont boot from the first time. it gave him the message "Disk boot failure insert the system disk". I checked the "CMOS" setup and I could not see the hard drive, when I booted for the second time I could see the hard drive. Know if he wnats to work with his computer he has to boot twice.How could I ovecme this problem? thanks. -- ahmed multi posted and answered "ahmed" <ahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C9C8982-7838-4A83-8626-14...

3.5" floppy disk troubleshooting
my problem is with my floppy disk. i'm unable to open my disk in ms word computers at local libraries i've been using recently. these two messages pop up everytime i try to open my disk; "a: / ' is not recognized. it may not be formatted". and " the floppy disk in drive A: is not formatted or has been formatted for a Macintosh". On 28/5/04 1:42 am, in article 13d8d01c4444c$99470c30$a001280a@phx.gbl, "don wilkey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > my problem is with my floppy disk. i'm unable to open my > disk in ms w...

Restoring disk image of Windows when exchange databases are on different disk
Ok, I need some help with this scenario: I frequently need to restore the complete disk image of my operating system (Windows 2003) which is the c: disk. In order to prevent having to perform a full restore of Exchange databases, I have moved these databases to another disk d:, by changing the path the official way in exchange system manager. After the transfer, all worked o.k. In this way, I hope to make it more easy to restore the operating system disk image without having to also restore the exchange databases. However, I tried restoring the OS image once, and after that couldnt mount the ...

Disk full
When I open excel a message comes that disk is full though I have 30 GB of disk space,When I open an existing file I get an error that I have no permission to open.I have all permissions for the file.My OS is Windows 2000 professsional Any solutions Srinivas When Excel opens, it must create some temporary files. Where is it trying to create them? Is there space there? Do you have permission to write there? If you can start Excel and go to Tools|Options then look on the General tab to see what your default file location is and what other files you are trying to open at startup. If...

Outllook 2002 and junk mail filter gone bad
Hi everyone, I have an odd situation on one of my user's computer. Outlook 2002 treats just about everything as junk mail and sends it to the junk mail filter. This happens even if i place rules above the junk and adult content rules allowing those messages to pass. Any ideas? I'm a bit confused by this. ~ William Do the other rules end in "stop processing more rules"? If not, the Junk and Adult mail rules will still act on those messages. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the ne...

programs on disk
I bought note book computer. this kind come with no dvd. I wanted to put on the programs I have (they come on disk) but I could't make it. This newsgroup supports Microsoft Access, the relational database. You might get more responses if you post to a newsgroup dedicated to your subject. -- Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. Any code or pseudocode included in this post is ...

Reinstall Publkisher 98 without the installtion disk
Had to do a Win XP reinstall, which of course messed up all my applications, each of which then has to be reinstalled from the installion disk. But my Publisher 98 disk has disappeared. Publisher 98 is still in my computer. It will attempt to setup from the setup.exe in the directory. But it quits with the message that QS98.DLL could not register itself because I am either out of memory (no) or the file is corrupt (no, downloaded a new one). Can anyone help? Is there a Registry tweak that will allow Publisher to reinstall? It says it can install without the CD. Well, Gogarty, if you ...

all my information gone
Hey everyone I recently had to put my computer in for repair, before I did however I saved Outlook Express to disk as I knew there was a chance the computer would be completely gutted and it was Everything else that was saved - documents, internet favourites etc - came back up fine but although I got Outlook Express back up all of my emails and contacts are missing. Anyone got any suggestions on how I can get them back? All help is appreciated Kind regards John Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is ...

To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages.
This is driving me crazy. How can I get rid of this message? I have never used Outlook Express. "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may take up to a few minutes." "Rufus Chaney" <RufusChaney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47B333C7-3076-4788-A23F-652B389F9A3B@microsoft.com... > This is driving me crazy. How can I get rid of this message? I have > never > used Outlook Express. > > "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may > take > up to a f...

Spacing
On occasion, as I input new data into cells, I notice that the text in some cells have a slightly different left margin. I checked for font name, size, and alignment, but there is no difference. try using TRIM -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Asussertown" <DROPsussertown@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:egS6G0xwDHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > On occasion, as I input new data into cells, I notice that the text in some > cells have a slightly different left margin. I checked for font name, size, > and alignment, but there is no difference. &...

disk boot failur insert the system disk
Hi there; My son got this message after had formated his hard drive and installed windows 7. Now every time my sone wants to start on his machne, the computer won't see the hard drive on the "CMOS" setup. It only sees when he boots it for the seocnd time. How would I be able to fix this problem? thank. -- ahmed Whats this got to do wuth Office, the group you posted to? http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/threads "ahmed" <ahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:222F8344-2765-4FE0-B7DD-4FFB204A90D3@microsof...

Out of disk space
I am getting an out of disk space error when trying to ave a pivot table to a network share. There is ample space left on the disk but I still get the error. Seems like I have seen this before but don't remember what to do. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance. Dave Hi, Dave-- Although there is ample space on the network drive, you might want to check with your domain admin to find out if your user is allocated only a certain amount. Thanks, Davi "Dave Quillen" <david.quillen@gis.leica-geosystems.com> wrote in message news:020001c36360$d47eb5f0$a401280a@...

Corrupted File on Disk or Not a Backup File
I have a problem with Money 2003 Premium. I put on a new hard drive and backup Money 2000 business and personal to 2 floppy disks. Then I cleared the hard drive, uninstalling everything. When I installed Money 2003 Premimum and tried to restore from my 2 floppy disks. I received an error message reading, "This file is corrupt or it is not a Money backup file." How can I fix this to restore my files? Do a google search and you will find that this has been answered millions of times. Bob "Mr Buckhalter" <tajlbj5508@msn.com> wrote in message news:028a01c39113$...

DAG disk space database copies
lets say i have 3 servers in my DAG, each server has 4 databases, each database is 100 gigs, total storage size is now roughly 400 gigs. I now make copies of each database, my storage has now doubled 100x8=800 gigs. It appears that anytime i need HA for a database i need to double my storage? Because we have already invested heavily in SAN storage, and the SANS all have built in raid, and because a lun in a vol can never consume the entire space thats been carved out in a vol, would mean in order to present a 100 gig lun to the OS, would require creating a 150 gig vol (roughly) s...