Disaster Recovery to alternate server

We have a Disaster Recovery server at our business resumption site. The
server can have the same name but the IP will be different.

I have read all about restoring system state, etc.. and restoring
Exchange. What we would like to do is not have not have same name/ip.
Any ideas???

Thanks
Joe

What version of Exchange?  If it is Exchange 2003, then you can do this via
the Recovery Storage Group functionality.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

<nvtressler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We have a Disaster Recovery server at our business resumption site. The
> server can have the same name but the IP will be different.
>
> I have read all about restoring system state, etc.. and restoring
> Exchange. What we would like to do is not have not have same name/ip.
> Any ideas???
>
> Thanks
> Joe

0
Ben
1/3/2005 9:53:56 PM
Sorry, It is 2003.

Refer to the following articles for more information.  Especially the
download about Disaster Recovery Operations Guide.  Basically, a Recovery
Storage Group would allow you to restore the data to a different name, but
there is still going to be a bit of mucking around with AD no matter how you
look at it.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A58F49C5-1190-4FBF-AEDE-007A8F366B0E&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/RMD.mspx

--

> Sorry, It is 2003.

0
Ben

OST file recovery
How can I recover email from the OST file. ...

Windows XP Pro as a file/media server
I have a few questions about setting up XP Pro to be a file/media server: 1) Is there a way to password protect all my shared items (ie. printer, partitions and folders) so others in the home network will have to type a password in order to access the items? I managed to share a folder in XP, but then Win7 just opened it and never asked for a password. 2) If the above answer is yes, then is there a way to make that password permanent in each pc? 3) Is it possible to share an old usb scanner from HP (Scanjet 2400), also password protected, without the use of paid software? ...

Server Log on changes
When I try to send outgoing email my login iformation changes and I get the following message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 5/22/2006 11:52 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: mailrecipient@domain.net on 5/22/2006 11:54 PM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <mycompany.domain.local #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Authentication is required to send mail as <changedtosomethingelse@domain.net>> Any Ideas...

5.5 Administrator on a 2000 server?
Why is the Exchange 5.5 Administrator included on the Exchange 2000 install CD? Is that what most people use to administer their Exchange 2000 Servers? What about the System manager that comes with Exchange 2000? Many thanks, Mark In the last exciting episode, "Mark N." <mark@deathtospam.net> wrote: >Why is the Exchange 5.5 Administrator included on the Exchange 2000 install >CD? Is that what most people use to administer their Exchange 2000 Servers? >What about the System manager that comes with Exchange 2000? It is included so that 5.5 machines can be adminis...

Recovery Mode #3
I just restored my exchange 2003 server from the disaster recovery switch, and then restored my databases but for some of the clients, when they connect to the server with exchange it says it's currently in recovery mode with the options to connect, work offline or cancel. I've tried looking on technet but to no avail. Any idea's on how to correct this? Chris I had this same issue once, reconfigure outlook on one or two machines and see if they are ok afterwards, if this works you'll have to do it for all users affected. If you come up with another solution, please do sha...

Exch2003 Delted Item Recovery
If I open additional mailboxes inside of outlook 2003, is there a way to get deleted item recovery to work on the other accounts? The only way I am able to choose deleted item recovery is if I'm logged in as that user that owns the mailbox - so in my scenario I can get to deleted item recovery for my account, but not any of the other ones I have opened. I have full mailbox access to those other mailboxes. Any ideas how to get this to work if it's even possible? Tom Mucha tom@ctcomp.com I don't believe it is possible...you need to be logged onto that specific mailbox... "...

ISA server
I want to make a connection with ISA server , How can i use ISAPI classes to do that ? if not, is there another way to connect to ISA sever with MFC? ...

Mail Merge disaster
When needing to print a mail merge for a newsletter 11x17 folded (by our copier) in half, I get the printout not folded & out of order with alternating copies right-side up and upside down. It works perfectly without the mail merge. The knowledge base article which addresses this issue (http://support. microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891904) basically is NOT HELPFUL since its workaround says to print one record at a time (not practical when there are 700 records). I did try to print to a PDF document, but the resulting file was so huge that it shut down the program. My bo...

Outlook and 2003 mail server
We're a small startup company currently with 14 people. We are in a Workgroup and we do not have a domain. Our regular email is outsourced. I've setup a Windows 2003 mail server for Internal only email that we don't want going out to our provider. Outlook XP will not send a message to it. The profile I setup tests correctly and I get the email back saying it's setup correctly. Outlook Express works perfectly in every way. You can send and receive email. I'm trying to find out why this is so and if there is anyway to get Outlook to work on this system. Thank you, To...

Exchange Server 2003 Hosting Providers
Hi, My company is looking to move from an inhouse Exchange Server 2003 to a hosting provider. We would like to know of any links of reviews of Exchange Server 2003 hosting providers or any recommendations. Thank You in advance, Sam Hi, Try this link http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/certification/hostedexchange.asp <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1bd1d01c45195$1248e2c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > My company is looking to move from an inhouse Exchange > Server 2003 to a hosting provider. We would like to know > of any links o...

Accessing the companyweb from the server
I am not able to open up the companyweb from the server console logged in as administrator. Why is that and what can I do to correct this problem? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0027_01CAF831.BFAA1080 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/04/17/authentication-issues-acc= essing-companyweb-from-the-server-itself-after-963027.aspx --=20 Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997) Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed http://ww...

getting a message that auto recovery is postponed?
Message says AutoRecovery postponed for <file>. AutoRecovery box is checked in Word Options. Running Windows 7 and Word 2007. ...

Access 97 closes with no error on 2003 terminal servies server
I have a brand new install of terminal server 2003, and access 97 with up to date service packs. Anytime I go to click a button on a form, or create a button on a form, Access pauses and then closes with no errors. The event viewer shows the following error: Faulting application msaccess.exe, version 8.0.0.5903, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00202878. Any ideas on what would be causing this? I've run Access 97 on terminal servers for years without problems, although I must admit that I haven't run Access 97 on TS 2003 yet. Most Terminal Server pro...

Disaster Recovery
Hi, Our DR plan is to restore an image of the server at the hotsite and we're wondering if anyone else has tested GP in this manner? Other than using the same server name and IP address - is there anything else that we need to consider? We're using Dynamics GP 10, FRX, Mekorma and we have several in-house applications that push data to GP using eConnect. Any help is appreciated. On Jul 28, 4:07=A0am, Allison <Alli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Our DR plan is to restore an image of the server at the hotsite and we're > won...

I new to this Exchange server
Can someone please help... I'm having a problem where I cannot receive email from a specific person... and nothing has changed could some point me in the right direction on where to look for answer... I can send her email but not receive her response.... I can email her external from the company(gmail) and I'm able to receive her mail. It is something on my side but I have no idea where to start... I know this is sad but I am the person responsible to fix this issue. Thanks for any help! Kimberly On 24 Jul 2006 13:35:07 -0700, "kdegonia" <kdegonia@gmail.com> wrote...

Disaster Recovery #14
I have a server that has a raid array. They system disk went out. The rest of the thing is fine, but the OS had to be reinstalled. There is no backup of the system state. I thought I could just reinstall exchange with the /disasterrecovery option, but it won't run. I keeps wanting me to run forestprep again. Does anyone have any idea how I should go about recoving my Exchange? Thanks for the help. Is that server a DC? Are there any other DCs? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ----------------------------------------...

Multi-user FRx using SQL Server
We recently moved our GP database from a single install to our SQL server. However, FRx is still pointing to the original local database. How can I configure FRx to connect to the new DSN? Thanks. On the client PC that has FRX installed, identify the ODBC system DSN that FRX uses. Click on configure and change the server name to read newserver. "CDMan" wrote: > We recently moved our GP database from a single install to our SQL server. > However, FRx is still pointing to the original local database. How can I > configure FRx to connect to the new DSN? > >...

multiple front-end server
where i can find a good help to setup multiple FE servers in network load balancing?! here http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=102021 or here http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/deploy/upgrademigrate/series/deploymentguide/d_08_tt1.mspx or even here http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=front+end+server+%2B+nlb Todd "MMC" <ryuken_26@yahoo.it> wrote in message news:OrOAppDkEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > where i can find a good help to setup multiple FE servers in network load > balancing?! > &g...

RE: migrate old server to new server
Hi, Currently my old server OS was Windows server 2003 R2 standard edition. I want to migrate old to new server. (same OS) Can Windows server 2003 standard edition backup all the data include IIhS, DNS, SQL and etc.. Best Regards. You can use a backup utility to migrate the data, but you will need to use MS Deploy to migrate your IIS6 or IIS7 configurations. If you are not sure on how to do this, go to TechNet's article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/mscomops/cc424869.aspx Migrating DNS will depend on whether your current DNS infrastructure is BIND-based or not, but you can f...

Migrate changes made on a dev SQL server to the production server?
My SQL database is called Clinic. All developments are carried out in my local SQL server. Once the development is done, Clinic will be pushed to the production SQL server. Client’s data are stored in the production SQL server. Now, the same client needs enhancement features, which also use the same database Clinic. So, I do new development in the database Clinic in my local box. As the new development has been finished, I need to migrate all changes made in my local SQL server to the production server. How can I do it? I cannot wipe out the production Clinic because it already ...

Password recovery w/changed e-mail address
The problem now is the wife doesn't remember her password! Password recovery wants to send the reset info to her old e-mail account which was deleted and nolonger active. Is there anyway around this other than setting up a new account? regards Greetings Chuck, Windows Live ID services can help with this: https://support.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlid To get to the form choose any option from the FAQ on the left, then choose 'Get more help' at the bottom right, and then 'Get more support'. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenge...

One virtual server delivering to the other one on the same server
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C675D7.0E459F20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a very strange problem. On my exchange 2003 server, I set up 2 SMTP virtual servers (mail.com = and mail2.com) If I use smtp to send mail from my workstation via mail2.com , mail2 = delivers the email to mail.com before it gets sent on to the correct = server. I have only one Internet Mail Connector set up. Below is a part of the header in the email: Received: from UnknownHost [196.211.242.18...

DISASTER! or not?
Outlook on my machine recently tried to run the installer and asked for the install disk. An error message also said that my MAPI32.DLL file was corrupted or out of date. SO, I thought outlook was looking for that .dll file on the disk. Instead it seems to have done a reinstall and now I can't find any of my previous folder data, i.e., inbox, calendar, etc. A reinstall won't normally wipe all of that data, right? Can anyone tell me where this folder data is stored? HEEEEEEEEEELLPPP! depending on your version of windows, it's here: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Ap...

Outlook disconnecting from Exchange Server
Periodically, perhaps once a week, perhaps 4 or 5 times per day, a message pops up on user's screen that outlook has disconnected from server. While this causes no problem with standard MS applications it is causing havoc with our accounting system which runs on a Pervasive database. Once connection from the server has been lost, it cannot be reconnected, causing lost data, record locks etc. Excerpt from application error log below - Please note that the user did not cancel or attempt to cancel any process/procedure/application. No errors are being recorded in server logs during t...

Failover Exchange Servers
If I have an Exchange 2000/2003 server located at a colo and another Exchange Server 2000/2003 server located in my building, can Exchange be configured so that any email that comes to my company, would hit the first server and then forward a copy to the Exchange server that is sitting in my building? The users would have their default be the Exchange Server at the building but if something were to go happen, power outage etc, I could change their setting to point to the Exchange server that is located at the colo and they could continue running with access to all their email, etc? I know th...