Disaster Recovery Scenarios - Exchange 2003

Hello all -

My boss wants to know how we can have Exchange 2003 (single server) back up
within 24 hours after a hurricane and also without power.  What are some
ideas that I can give him that will allow this to happen?  I uses Veritas
Backup Exec with the Exchange Agent, and I run a normal backup weekly (I am
using DLT tapes, and I'm backing up over 500 gigs of data so I only have
time for 1 normal backup a week).  Also, I use NT Backup on the Exchange
server to backup the server to a NAS drive Tuesdays, Weds, and Thursdays.

For instance, could I transfer an Exchange backup to an Exchange server in a
co-lo facility and then re-point my MX records to point there?  Would I even
be able to get a new Exchange server provisioned in a 24 hour period?  Are
there any other ideas someone out there can offer me?

Thanks,
Blake

0
galvanon (77)

>could I transfer an Exchange backup to an Exchange server in a co-lo
>facility and then re-point my MX records to point there?

Yes, but it would need the same name, and you would also have to have AD
servers there as well, making the likelihood of getting everything up within
24 hours fairly small.  In a situation like this, you'd have to remember
that you are doing a point-in-time restore, so any e-mail since your last
full backup would be lost (basically all the new stuff).  Not sure if this
is acceptable for you (or your boss) - probably wouldn't be for me.

>Would I even be able to get a new Exchange server provisioned in a 24 hour
>period?

Depends on the contract with the co-lo.  With a hurricane, you'd likely have
some time beforehand to get it built, but attempting to get everything back
up within 24 hours is probably a bit of a stretch.  That's a LOT of data to
restore.  You first have to build a server for AD, then do an authoritative
restore of AD (to get user accounts/groups, etc. back).  You also have to
make sure that it is a GC and that it holds all the FSMO roles.  Then you
have to build another server for Exchange, do a /disasterrecovery install of
Exchange, THEN restore the Exchange databases.  Oh, not to mention that if
you need to restore from DLT, you'll need to make sure that you have a DLT
drive at the co-lo facility.

You can also look at (depending on budget) Geo-clustering (very expensive),
or even full replication products that will allow you to maintain an exact
replica of your environment (Exchange and DC) in another location.  My
company makes such a product (OneSwitch) to allow for failover to an
alternate location pretty much within minutes.  We also offer "emergency"
mail service (EMS), designed to keep you working while you rebuild your
primary environment.  These are but a few of the options out there.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in message
> Hello all -
>
> My boss wants to know how we can have Exchange 2003 (single server) back
> up within 24 hours after a hurricane and also without power.  What are
> some ideas that I can give him that will allow this to happen?  I uses
> Veritas Backup Exec with the Exchange Agent, and I run a normal backup
> weekly (I am using DLT tapes, and I'm backing up over 500 gigs of data so
> I only have time for 1 normal backup a week).  Also, I use NT Backup on
> the Exchange server to backup the server to a NAS drive Tuesdays, Weds,
> and Thursdays.
>
> For instance, could I transfer an Exchange backup to an Exchange server in
> a co-lo facility and then re-point my MX records to point there?  Would I
> even be able to get a new Exchange server provisioned in a 24 hour period?
> Are there any other ideas someone out there can offer me?
>
> Thanks,
> Blake

0
Ben
9/6/2005 2:14:43 PM
Your EMS and/or Exchange OneSwitch sounds great.  Can we talk about it
off-board?    cosmid92671 at hotmail.com

Thanks.
"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:u7JIT1usFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> Hello all -
>>
>> My boss wants to know how we can have Exchange 2003 (single server) back
>> up within 24 hours after a hurricane and also without power.  What are
>> some ideas that I can give him that will allow this to happen?  I uses
>> Veritas Backup Exec with the Exchange Agent, and I run a normal backup
>> weekly (I am using DLT tapes, and I'm backing up over 500 gigs of data so
>> I only have time for 1 normal backup a week).  Also, I use NT Backup on
>> the Exchange server to backup the server to a NAS drive Tuesdays, Weds,
>> and Thursdays.
>>
>> For instance, could I transfer an Exchange backup to an Exchange server
>> in a co-lo facility and then re-point my MX records to point there?
>> Would I even be able to get a new Exchange server provisioned in a 24
>> hour period? Are there any other ideas someone out there can offer me?

0
galvanon (77)

URGENT
Can I install a second exchange, only for the Email Router, leaving the mailboxes in the first one? I'm trying to troubleshoot the problems related with a clustered Exchange. Can I work arround this way? Thanks -- Charly The router needs to be installed on whatever machine servers as your SMTP gateway. If the users are partitioned somehow tha tthe SMTP taffic will come in through that ned Exchange server, than yes, you can do this. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:27:01 -0700, Ca...

Upgraded to Office 2003, now can't open existing Publisher files
I need to access my previous Publisher files. Each of the other Office program files are accessable and readily open. How can I open existing files? How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "sally" <sally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A9B1907-D229-4DBD-8AF9-1C4DCB293CF8@microsoft.com... >I need to access my previous Publisher files. Each of the other Office > program files ...

Publisher 2003 won't print part of a page
I have been printing a newsletter for my garden club for 2 years; today, it prints everything on 3 pages except for a portion in the right column and under the heading on page 1. Any suggestions? Printer driver update? Are you using the same publication over and over? Might start from scratch, copy/paste from the old into the new. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "capri" <capri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0549BBC-BC3F-4DBF-96AD-198CDAB91AFE@microsoft.com... >I have been pri...

Exchange 2003 mailbox permissions being reset
I have seen many posts on this same problem with no real answer, hopefully somebody out there has found a solution. I add "send as" rights to a mailbox for a user other than the owner of the mailbox (or full access, make no difference) and it works fine for a short while, then when less than an hour goes by (not sure exactly how long), the user that was added in the permissions tab is missing and obviously the send as ability is gone. I have tried adding the user on the Security tab, then also hitting the advanced button and adding it there (per ms kB#327000). The user that I'...

Exchange 2000 and DNS in MS Adv Serv 2000
Hi everyone, I have a couple of problems on my Win 2k Server where Exchange 2000 is installed. I configured the computer as its own PDC and have DNS configured. The following ipconfig information for the machine is as follows: ip address -- 192.168.200.4 ip gateway -- 192.168.200.1 ip dns -- 192.168.200.4 When I go to send an email from a client machine with Outlook Express, I can connect to the SMTP service. But the email never gets to its destination. When I do a nslookup at the cmd line on the server, I get a "time out" message for dns server...

Exchange 5.5 intrasite replication through a firewall
Hi there, I am hoping someone can help, I have looked all over forums and found what I thought would be the solution but is does not work. I have a mixed mode Exchange site with 3 Exchange 2003 servers (SP2 running on w2k3 sp1) and one Exchange 5.5 server (sp4 & post sp4 rollup running on w2k sp4). The 5.5 server is in a DMZ so I have attempted so set static ports for the DS, IS MTA and SA, but in reality all I really need is the DS as this is not a mailbox server, simply an OWA server for the other sites that are still running on Exchange 5.5. I have set this registry setting and othe...

Print ACCESS 2003 report via VB6 Application
Hi Good Guys, I need your help. Please help me. My office is still using VB6 SP6 software and ACCESS 2003 Database. I am trying print ACCESS 2003 report with VB6 application and I constantly get the POPUP Screen of SECURITY WARNING from ACCESS 2003 which created problems for the users. How to stop the POPUP SECURITY WARNING SCREEN for happening. Here are the overall VB6 coding. Option Explicit Dim objAccess As Access.Application Dim dbName As String Dim rptName As String Dim strSql As String Private Sub Form_Load() Set objAccess = New Access.Application ...

Exchange Rules
How can i set server's rules for the clients? ...

scheduled reboot for Exchange servers
When I use shutdown.exe and reboot.vbs script to restart Exchange 2003 servers on a schedule, it looks like the exchange services are killed before the transaction logs are committed to the database causing below errors: Event Type: Information Event Source: ESE Event Category: Logging/Recovery Event ID: 300 Date: 6/2/2006 Time: 12:26:20 PM User: N/A Computer: TSVARIEXMB01 Description: Information Store (3316) Second Storage Group: The database engine is initiating recovery steps. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. is there a better (less manu...

From a Temp Exchange 2003 to a new Production one
Hi Thanks for taking the time to read this. I recently migrated an Exchange 5.5 system to a new Windows 2003 Forest with Exchange 2003. All went very smoothly (Phew!) The Exchange 5.5 system ran (until yesterday) on a decent server. The Exchange 2003 system is running on a temporary server at the moment. Having decommissioned the Old Exchange 5.5 server now, I've rebuilt it as a Windows 2003 server in the new domain and have installed Exchange 2003 upon in. It has appeared as a new server within the organisation. Excellent so far. What I want to do is move all mailboxes, public f...

Problems upgrading to Outlook 2003
I've just recently upgraded to MS Office 2003 Pro. from Microsoft Office XP Small Business (2002). Everything works perfectly except my Outlook. When installing, I selected the "upgrade" option, with the intent of not having to worry about losing any contact information or emails that were currently in Outlook 2002. Outlook 2003 works the first time I open after installing, but if I close the program and try and re-open it, it freezes. When I shut down my computer and try re-opening, I can only open Outlook in "safe mode". I've tried reinstalling, but ...

Outlook as alternate to Exchange CALs??
Microsoft's web site states on the How To Buy exchange=20 page that "Each Exchange 2003 CAL also includes Microsoft=20 Office Outlook=AE 2003". I have also heard rumors that if=20 you already of Outlook 2003 (i.e. as part of having Office=20 2003 Enterprise), then you don't need an Exchange CAL for=20 that machine, similar to not need to have a Terminal=20 Services CAL if your fat-client is running Windows XP. =20 Has anybody else heard any such thing? Thanks in=20 anticipation.=20 The way we understand it is that the Exchange CAL gives you the right to run Outlook as yo...

Outlook 2003 BCM v2
Hi, I would like two know when we can expect the BCM v2 to be finished, because we have tested the BCM in outlook and it's really nice we like it a lot. But we need Multi-user support because we have several people in the sales department. I heard that Multi-user support would be added in v2. And are we able to use the current BCM v1 and then when we update to v2 we can combine all contacts to a multi-user environment? Regards Martin ...

Problems connecting from EXCEL 2003 to OLAP Server
Hi, I=B4m trying to work with the EXCEL Addin for OLAP Server, butI=B4m having problems to connect to the server, I get the following message: OLAP Server error: Property name was not recognized, 'Safety Options' Does anybody know how to solve this problem? I can connect to the cubes using Pivot Tables but not with the addin. ...

Exch/Outlook 2003 Delegates
I have an Exchange 2003 Standard Server with Outlook 2003 clients. My users have noticed that they cannot properly assign delegates. They can choose delegates and assign the permissions normally, but when they quit and restart Outlook, the delegates are there but with "None" as their permissions. What might cause this? Hi Tim, Thank you for posting here. According to the information in your post, I suggest you use the following message to trouble shoot this issue: 1. New Outlook profile ============= Please create a new profile to isolate the issue. For the steps on how to cr...

Free/Busy Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5
Hi, Where I can configure Free/Busy replication between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5? I put Exchange 2003 in Exchange 5.5 site for migration, messages work fine but schedule appointments don�t sincronize. Any suggestions ?! Thank you Hi pls look at this KB http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;244588 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307917 (3.Rehome the Schedule+ Free Busy folder: ) -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Alessandro Neves" <no@spam.com> ���g��l��s�D :umbFEwcvEHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Where I can confi...

Exchange Standard 16gb size limit monitoring
I hit the 16gb limit the other day in my Exchange Standard installation. I figured out how to fix the problem (dismount and use ESutil), but I don't want to hit that size limitation again. Is there a free script or tool out there to notify me when the size hits 15gb? Where can I find out the size of the Storage group? "JohnS" <JohnSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ud07%23WkjFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >I hit the 16gb limit the other day in my Exchange Standard installation. I >figured out how to fix the problem (dismount and use ESutil), but ...

Problem outlook 2003
Hello I am IT engineer in a company and I have a problem with Outlook 2003. When I answered an email sent to me by some colleagues, I have my signature and my handwriting font that are capitalized. I am obliged to go into options to uncheck Shift to get everything into order. However, I am compelled to this each time I have an email address. Another important details that this phenomenon occurs only with 5-6 contacts. For the rest of the mail I receive from other police colleagues is exactly as I have set for responses and transfers. Do you have an idea for solving this pro...

Does Outlook 2003 include an Exchange Lic?
Wondering if you buy Outlook 2003 for $109.00, does that include a Lic for MS Exchange or do I need to purchase both for each user? The outlook license should be ok... but what version of Exchange? The exchange 2000 and 2003 client access licenses include Outlook 2003 and cost about $70, although I'm not sure if there are minimum purchase requirements. http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/howtobuy/licensingfaq.mspx http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/howtobuy/medium.mspx -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows...

Outlook 2003 options
I recently replaced Outlook Express 6.0 with Outlook 2003. In Express, there is an option "Warn me when other applications try to send mail as me". How do I disable this function in Outlook 2003? Every time I try to send a group email from my "other application", Outlook warns and prompts for each recipient. This is disruptive and inefficient. How do I change this security setting in Outlook 2003? gary <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I recently replaced Outlook Express 6.0 with Outlook > 2003. In Express, there is an option "W...

Outlook OLE error and freezing problem after Win2k SP2 install on Exchange??
Yesterday, we were hit by the blaster worm (yeah....got me running like hell). Our Exchange 5.5sp4 servers run on a Win2k Advanced Server SP1 cluster. I was forced to install service pack 2 for Win2k because the MS03-026 patch requires that. Ever since that, users who have Office 2000 versions less than SP-3 installed had freezing problems when viewing calender. Pulling up Excel attachments end up with a "object linking and embedding not found" error. There is also a Word error of some kind when openning Word attachments. Once I place SP3 on there, everything works fine. What ...

SMTP settings versus AD/Exchange settings
Anyone able to explain the difference between the mail size (and others) settings under Protocol's SMTP properties and those set through policies or individually in Active Directory using Exchange? If I set a msg size limit in AD and increase it in the SMTP settings, which holds? What about vice versa? Thanks. Not sure how you can set message size in AD - do you mean individually in user properties? Here's a good reference for different message size settings: How to set size limits for messages in Exchange Server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322679/ -- Bharat Suneja MCS...

Defect in word 2007 to Word 2003 converter
I have recently run into an issue with the .docx to .doc converter in word 2003. I was curious if anyone else has run into this issue - I have not found any posts adressing this. The problem is as follows: Word 2007 document With an OLE embeded .doc > 25 MB Saves and opens fine in word 2007. When the .docx file is opened in Word2003, the embeded ole object icon is present, but when the user clicks on the icon to open it, only the "Format Picture" dialog box appears. If the user using word2003 saves the document at this point, the data in the embeded document ...

Can I sell or transfer an SBS 2003 Volume License?
Our old server has been retired but another small business could use it. If I sell it, can I sell the VL SBS 2003 Std (not R2 in case that matters) and CALs with the hardware? If this is legal, how is it accomplished; i.e. how does the new business register the volume license? Or is that even necessary? I have the original media and install keys. I also have the Agreement and auth numbers from purchasing the SBS and the additional CALs. Thanks! This website might help http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/volume-licensing-briefs.aspx Document link http:...

SBS 2003 Exchange conundrum (external user)
Our exchange system is set up using the pop3 connector to pop accounts hosted by NS who hosts our domain name. Works well. I have a user off-site that I'd like to give a user@ourdomain.com to so it sounded easy enough, went into Network Solutions account manager and created an account for him. Great, Now he can sit off-site and use webmail to send and receive to his client and look like he's part of my domain. Just what I wanted. Didn't want go get into giving him exchange/outlook account as we are not exposed to internet and I'm not going through the RPC over ht...