Disabled Mailboxes

We are migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. All of our user
mailboxes have been succesfully migrated. We used ADC to create disabled
mailboxes from our Exchange 5.5 then we ran ADMT to migrate NT 4.0 ID's and
then we ran ADCClean to combine Migrated NT 4.0 ID with mailbox and sid
history. This worked great.

My issue is in addition to user mailboxes we have what we call group
Mailboxes. In Exchange 5.5 these were associated with same NT 4.0 ID's as
users mailbox. During migration process ADC realized you can only have a one
to one relationship between mailboxes and created unique ID's for each
mailbox.

My issue is I have all these disabled mailboxes in AD now. When I get rid of
exchange 5.5 will they continue working or do I have to associate them with
an enabled AD ID.

If I have to associate them with an enabled AD ID I can do it one of two
ways. I can enable the crptic ID that was created for the mailbox. There are
some articles that say this is not best practice.

Or I can create an AD ID and then associate this new AD ID with Disabled
mailbox with ADCClean.  This seems to work but new AD ID can not have same
name as disabled Mailbox.

My question is basically what is Microsoft's Best Practice for dealing with
Disabled Mailboxes that are created from Group mailboxes.

Thank you

Gary Clift

gary.clift@ps.net
0
cliftgw (1)

Disable BU
A really quick one for you. If I disable a BU in MSCRM, does the corresponding OU in Active Directory become disabled? I think the answer probably 'No' as I actually cannot find a way to disable the OU manually and therefore cannot check, but if anyone has a definitive answer I would be grateful. Regards Peter John - thanks for your help. Regards Peter >-----Original Message----- >No, disabling BU in CRM will not disable corresponding OU in the AD, just like dissabling CRM user in CRM will not siable the corrsponding user in AD. > >"Pete" wrote: > &...

Print Preview "Prev Page" but is always disabled
Hello, I have created an MFC application and have added Printing and Print Preview capability. The only problem i have is that the Prev Page button on the Print Preview toolbar is always disabled. The "Two Pages" button and "Next Page" are enabled and work correctly. I am setting the CPrintInfo::SetMaxPage() and CPrintInfo::SetMinPage() and CPrintInfo::m_nCurPage values in OnPreparePrinting() but this doesnt seem to make a difference. Is their anything else that i can try which will enable this button? Thanks Andy ...

how can disable service with bat file
Hi, Please tell me, how can i disable service with bat file. What service? "Vijay" wrote: > Hi, > > Please tell me, how can i disable service with bat file. > Please tell me, how can i disable service with bat file. That's funny ... weren't we just talking about Permissions? :-) Anyway, the command to control a Windows Service (enable, start, stop, disable, etc) is SC.EXE. Run SC /? at a command prompt to see the syntax. Put the necessary SC command in a batch file, and you are all set. Hope it helps, Andrew -- amclar at ...

Mirroring a mailbox
Hello all... I'm using Exchange 2003, with Outlook 2003. Is there a way that I can have copies of all mail sent to, or sent from a mailbox sent to another mailbox? For example, I have 2 mailboxes. One caller UserA, and the other called UserA-Ghost. I want the Ghost mailbox to be an exact copy of the UserA mailbox. I know I can do this with forwarding, and rules, but I would like to do this in a way that the user does not have access to the settings, so they cannot change, or turn them off. Thank you for your time. Ed If I am not mistaken, there is a way on the server level where you...

disable macro warning
I added macro which I then deleted. Every time I enter system it asks me if I want to disable or enable macros - how do I turn off this warning screen upon entering system when I have no macros in the worksheet? You need to remove the module that contained the macro. Press ALT+F11, go to View > Project Explorer (if needed), right-click on the module(s), and remove it. Save. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I added macro which I then deleted. Every time I enter >system it asks me if I want to disable or enable macros - >how do I turn off this warnin...

Adding multiple mailboxes for a user
I have a user account having access to all mailboxes in the organization. I am trying to add all the mailboxes (about 500 users) to the advanced settings, so that when I open Outlook I can view all the mailboxes. Is this possible through a script or some similar methods as it is so difficult to add 500 users manually. I run Exchange 2000 server with outlook 2000 clients. Please find below steps I used to accomplish this for smaller groups. I do this maually by going to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Mail> Exchange Server properties> Advanced setttings and I type in the name...

Disable sending Email
In Exchange 5.5 in an NT Domain, is there a way to disable an user from sending email? He should be able to open and read his email but not be able to send out email untill permitted. Thanks On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:01:03 -0800, "SI" <SI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Exchange 5.5 in an NT Domain, is there a way to disable an user from >sending email? He should be able to open and read his email but not be able >to send out email untill permitted. > >Thanks You can do this on Internet mail by setting the Delivery Restriction on the IMS to deny mail...

Disable Cached Mode
Hi all! Is there any way to disable Cached Mode (CM) on Exchange 2003? Sure, I can do it with GPO, but some computers can be out of scope of this GPO and then they will be able to turn on the CM in their Offce 2003. But CM is critical security risk and I have to disable it. At http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP010000781033.aspx?Product=out2003 I can read: "Exchange server administrators have the ability to disable this feature in Outlook. For more information, contact your Exchange server administrator. Additional information for administrators is available in the Mi...

SMTP being disabled
HI Exchange 2003 / Server 2003 I'm just having a world of problems with Exchange all of a sudden... It's been up and running about 2 months but all of a sudden it's going nuts... The SMTP service is being stopped and set to disabled. This is happening each morning around 1 AM. The only thing I can find in the event logs is event 7035 - The SMTP service was successfully sent a stop control and then Event 7040 - The start type of SMTP service was changed from auto start to disabled For the life of me, I can't find what is originating these commands.... I thought maybe t...

Full mailboxes ens up with lost mails
Im helping a small company with SBS 2003 and there mailbosex exceded the storage limit and now the mails sent after that is lost, how can i recover those lost mails please help me its really urgent Roger wrote: > Im helping a small company with SBS 2003 and there mailbosex exceded > the storage limit and now the mails sent after that is lost, how can > i recover those lost mails please help me its really urgent Mailboxes where - on the Exchange server? On the ISP's server in POP mailboxes? If you're using the SBS POP connector, best to post in m.p.windows.server.sbs. ...

cant backup specific mailbox
Hello, We are backing up individual mailboxes using data protector. Most of the mailboxes backup but a few won't. They have exactly the same permissions as the ones that can backup. And it alsways fails on the same mailboxes.... help!!! estherbellingham@hotmail.com (compaq) wrote: >Hello, > >We are backing up individual mailboxes using data protector. Most of >the mailboxes backup but a few won't. They have exactly the same >permissions as the ones that can backup. And it alsways fails on the >same mailboxes.... help!!! Does it actually fail on access to the...

Protecting sheet disables Grouping buttons
I am delivering a worksheet to a client, and have protected it. As well as stopping people changing the data, though, it also stops them using the Grouping buttons. How can I enable grouping on a protected sheet? If you already have the outline applied, you can protect the worksheet in code (auto_open/workbook_open??). Option Explicit Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True .EnableOutlining = True .EnableAutoFilter = True End With End Sub (I wasn't sure what caused your outlining--...

Enable/Disable Macro Pop-Up
In the older version of Office when you opened an excel or other office document that had a macro in it - you would get a pop up and the opportunity to enable or disable it. Is there a way to get that same pop-up in 2007? See Help, macro setting Change macro security settings in Excel juamig wrote: > In the older version of Office when you opened an excel or other office > document that had a macro in it - you would get a pop up and the opportunity > to enable or disable it. Is there a way to get that same pop-up in 2007? > Right, someone else told me the...

Mailbox move #5
Hello friends: I have recently added a new Exchange Server2003 to our Administrative Group and moved few mailboxes from another Exchange 2003 server (in the same admin group). Even after moving the mailboxes over to the new server, the mailboxes still exist on the old exchange with a red dot on them. I tried to purge the mailboxes by right clicking on them, but getting error message "the operation cannot be performed because this mailbox was already reconnected to an existing user". Is there anyway to clean up the duplicate mailboxes still on the old exchange server. Thanks ...

Exchange 5.5 import/export of mailbox size limits
I need to do an import/export of an Ex5.5 directory that would change the mailboxes size limits. Basically, I need to replace whatever is in the Issue Warning Prohibit Send Prohibit send and Receive .... account fields, and change these "manually" via a spreadsheet. I have several 100's of these to do and would like to do it via a CSV file in the Exchange admin export/import. What should the header of csv file be ? obj-class,directory name,Issue Warning?,Prohibit Send? Prohibit Send Receive? Thank You, SRP 2 of the column headers will be: Issue warning storage limit...

priv1.edb still has large size even no mailbox on it
Dear all, I have an Exchange 2000 mailbox store on W2K SP4 which has priv1.edb file size is 27 GB. Last month I create new mailbox store with the database name is priv2.edb and move the mailbox on the old mailbox store to the new one. But after there is no mailbox anymore on the old mailbox store, I wonder because priv1.edb file size still have the same size. Please help. Thanks. regards, Nita A priv.edb file will not dynamically shrink when you delete or move mailboxes from it. If you want to recover the saved space immediately you will need to run eseutil in defrag mode to compact...

Move mailboxes via Powershell and Log results
Hi all, I created a script to move mailboxes and log the results. The script reads the alias from a text file and moves the mailbox. When completed it logs the result to a CSV file. I would like to modify the script to move 5 mailboxes at a time and log the results. I cannot seem to get it to work. Below is the working script which allows one to move at a time. How can I modify it to move 5 at a time AND to log the results to the CSV file. ############################################## $TargetDatabase = “SERVER01\SG03\MBX03” $SourceFile = “x:\MAILMOVES.TXT” $UserList =...

Disable Trended Deposits
Does anyone know how to turn off trended deposits (forecasted) feature? If you press the customize option on the left hand side, you can change it to show budget entries instead of trends -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially if it's a UK specific wish. I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money <a...

Disabling New Records on Forms in VB
Hi Everyone, I have designed a form which successfully supresses the ability to create new records by setting the AllowAdditions property to "No". The problem is that when I open the form using the code below the form once again allows additions and I can't figure out how to prevent this. I tagged the "Me.AllowAdditions = False" into the openargs section but to no avail. If anyone can spot the problem in my code I would be very grateful. Thanks, John ******* Start Code ******* Private Sub cmdView_Click() Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As ...

Disable username, password and domain prompt
Greetings... I currently have a network with computers running Windows 2000 with Outlook 2000 SR-1 and am in the process of upgrading the computers to Windows XP with Outlook 2002 SP3. One of my users has an issue where he has to type in his username, password, and the domain every time he opens up Outlook on the Windows XP machines, but never on the Windows 2000 machines. The option to uncheck the "Always prompt for username and password" box is not found on either version of Outlook, and he is set up for NT password authentication in his Outlook settings. Is there something else...

disable F1
Is there a way to disable the F1 Hot Key so that the Help Menu doesn't pop up? Place these in a standard module: Sub DisableF1() Application.OnKey "{F1}", "" End Sub Sub EnableF1() Application.OnKey "{F1}" End Sub HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to disable the F1 Hot Key so that the Help Menu doesn't pop up? >. > ...

Disable page caching without disabling caching of jpegs and stylesheets etc
Hi, We have a data based web app that basically must not cache any of the pages as they contain real time data. I am currently using the following line in the page template on the PreInit event: Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache) Will this prevent things like Jpegs and CSS stylesheets from being cached as well? If so is there another way of doing this? Cheers, James JimLad wrote: > We have a data based web app that basically must not cache any of the > pages as they contain real time data. > > I am currently using the following line...

Recipient Policy / Mailbox Cleanup
I currently have a Mailbox Cleanup policy in place, configured for the Inbox and All Other Mail Folders. I have one user (the President) that would like to have a folder on the mail server indefinitely (no mailbox cleanup). Can I just add that to the list, for instance, "Inbox\FolderName" and not check the folder for cleanup? But if I have All Other Mail Folders checked in the policy, would this affect the newly created folder? TIA. On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:13:06 -0800, "Matt V." <MattV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I currently have a Mailbox Cleanup...

Disabling users from deleting item in their inbox
Iam trying to figure out how to disallow certain users from deleting email from their inbox. I have a few users that delete item they are not supposed to and would like to know if i can disable them from doing so. Or is there a way to disable the empty deleted items? thanks Frank frank@interconnectnetworks.com <frank@interconnectnetworks.com> wrote: > Iam trying to figure out how to disallow certain users from deleting > email from their inbox. I have a few users that delete item they are > not supposed to and would like to know if i can disable them from > doing so. Or...

Some menu functions disabled
Hi I have just received an excel file that has a lot of the menu and tool bar options disabled. For example, in one of the sheets, rows 1-10 have been hidden but the option 'unhide' in the menu is disabled Any ideas? Hi maybe the file/worksheet is protected. Goto 'Tools - Protection' and unprotect it >-----Original Message----- >Hi > >I have just received an excel file that has a lot of the >menu and tool bar options disabled. > >For example, in one of the sheets, rows 1-10 have been >hidden but the option 'unhide' in the menu is disable...