Dirty Shutdown after Exchange database repair

Our Exchange database isn't being backed up (the back-ups fail), hence the
logs aren't being cleared. This has been going on for a while.

The backup reports are as follows:
 Backup Status
 Operation: Backup
 Active backup destination: 8mm AIT
 Media name: "Mon-04-01-2010"
 Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
 Backup (via shadow copy) of "D: "
 Backup set #1 on media #1
 Backup description: "Mon-04-01-2010"
 Media name: "Mon-04-01-2010"
 Backup Type: Normal
 Backup started on 4/01/2010 at 11:04 PM.
 Backup completed on 5/01/2010 at 3:16 AM.
 Directories: 8489
 Files: 53746
 Time:  4 hours,  12 minutes, and  9 seconds
 Backup of "SERVER-01\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group"
 Backup set #2 on media #1
 Backup description: "Mon-04-01-2010"
 Media name: "Mon-04-01-2010"
 Backup Type: Normal
 Backup started on 5/01/2010 at 3:16 AM.
 The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
function call (d).
 ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft
Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d).
 ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'
 The operation was ended.
 Backup completed on 5/01/2010 at 6:26 AM.
 Directories: 0
 Files: 2
 Time:  3 hours,  10 minutes, and  8 seconds
 ----------------------
 The operation did not successfully complete.

The Application Logs for this show:
 Event Type:	Error
 Event Source:	ESE
 Event Category:	Logging/Recovery
 Event ID:	217
 Date:	5/01/2010
 Time:	6:26:44 AM
 User:	N/A
 Computer:	SERVER-01
 Information Store (1052) First Storage Group: Error (-2226) during backup
of a database (file D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.stm). The
database will be unable to restore.

Note: I do have a copy of all exchange database and log files on a different
drive.

This is what I have done:
-1.
Checked the headers with eseutil /mh and got the following result:
            State: Clean Shutdown
     Log Required: 0-0 (0x0-0x0)
Previous Full Backup:
        Log Gen: 6577-6577 (0x19b1-0x19b1)
           Mark: (0x19B1,1618,72)
           Mark: 08/12/2009 02:54:08

-2.
Checked the integrity with eseutil /g and got the following error:
 error -1206 JET_errDatabaseCorrupted

-3.
I then ran a repair with eseutil /r and got the following output:

Initiating REPAIR mode...
        Database: D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb
  Streaming File: D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.STM
  Temp. Database: TEMPREPAIR3712.EDB

Checking database integrity.
                     Scanning Status (% complete)
          0    10   20   30   40   50   60   70   80   90  100
          |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|

Scanning the database.
                     Scanning Status (% complete)
          0    10   20   30   40   50   60   70   80   90  100
          |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|

Repairing damaged tables.
                     Scanning Status (% complete)
          0    10   20   30   40   50   60   70   80   90  100
          |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|
Deleting unicode fixup table.

-4.
Checked the headers with eseutil /mh and got the following result:
            State: Dirty Shutdown
     Log Required: 0-0 (0x0-0x0)
Previous Full Backup:
        Log Gen: 0-0 (0x0-0x0)
           Mark: (0x0,0,0)
           Mark: 00/00/1900 00:00:00

So now, my database is in an inconsistent state... not sure how exactly
seeing as it was consistent before. I have tried this a couple of times and
get the same result.

So my question is, do I try and fix the dirty shutdown state or do I restore
the copy of the logs and database and try again, maybe using a different
method than above?
If so, what should I be doing differently?

Sorry, my mistake, when I ran the repair on the store, I used eseutil /p (not
/r).

So point 3. should read...

> -3.
> I then ran a repair with eseutil /pr and got the following output:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:08:01 -0800, thedriver (Tee)
<thedriverTee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Our Exchange database isn't being backed up (the back-ups fail), hence the
>logs aren't being cleared. This has been going on for a while.

A "/r" isn't a "repair" operation, it's a "recover" option. I think
you used the "/p" option.

>So now, my database is in an inconsistent state... not sure how exactly
>seeing as it was consistent before. I have tried this a couple of times and
>get the same result.

Trying to repair a damaged database is always an iffy proposition. You
may get a mountable database, but it may be empty. In any case, it's
the last thing to consider.

>So my question is, do I try and fix the dirty shutdown state or do I restore
>the copy of the logs and database and try again, maybe using a different
>method than above?

If, as you say, you have a working copy of the database and log files,
I'd put them back into production (replacing the one that won't
mount). I'll assume that you hava flat file copy and not the output
from the Exchange-aware backup that clearly states the database can't
be restored successfully!

>If so, what should I be doing differently?

Once you get the database mounted, create a new database and move the
mailboxes in the one that has a problem to the new one. When they're
all moved, dismount the damaged database and delete the .mdb and .stm
files, and delete the database from Exchange.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
2/13/2010 4:09:30 PM
Thanks Rich. My responses as follows:

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
> I think you used the "/p" option.
Yeah, I did - mistyped that.

> Trying to repair a damaged database is always an iffy proposition. You
> may get a mountable database, but it may be empty.
The database I started with was mountable, I just couldn't back it up. The
backup always failed on the .stm file.

> If, as you say, you have a working copy of the database and log files,
> I'd put them back into production (replacing the one that won't
> mount). I'll assume that you hava flat file copy...
Yeas I do (have a flat file copy), but if I put it back into production,
I'll be in the same situation, unable to back it up.

> Once you get the database mounted, create a new database and move the
> mailboxes in the one that has a problem to the new one. When they're
> all moved, dismount the damaged database and delete the .mdb and .stm
> files, and delete the database from Exchange.
Sorry, I neglected to mention I'm using SBS 2003 SP2. So, unfortunately I
can't easily create another information store.

Here's some more info that may help...
I have copied my orginal database back over the top of the dirty database
because their just wasn't much point putting myself a step backwards with a
db that wouldn't mount.

So, now I have an information store that for all intents and purposes is
fine, except that I can't back it up. It always fails on the .stm file. The
..stm file is about 1.6GB.

All the logs have been comitted to the database (according the header
result), so I can manually delete these, but I still need to ensure I have a
backup of the store.

All the mail clients use Outlook 2007 via MAPI. We do have a number of
clients that use POP3 to send and receive from their secondary mailboxes. We
also have two Windows mobile phones that sync with Exchange.

It seems I need to recreate the .stm file (to allow the backups to
complete), but I'm concerned about data loss.
All the POP3 mailboxes (the secondary mailbox for a user) have the mail
forwarded to the respective primary mailbox. All POP3 sent mail is also
stored in the primary users mailbox. So, from what I can gather I should be
able to create a new .stm file in the hope this enables the backup to
complete.

Or am I going down completely the wrong path.
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 20:34:04 -0800, thedriver (Tee)
<thedriverTee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>> Once you get the database mounted, create a new database and move the
>> mailboxes in the one that has a problem to the new one. When they're
>> all moved, dismount the damaged database and delete the .mdb and .stm
>> files, and delete the database from Exchange.
>Sorry, I neglected to mention I'm using SBS 2003 SP2. So, unfortunately I
>can't easily create another information store.

That leaves you with very few possibilities. One option would be to
move everything to PST files (either have each mailbox owner do it or
use use ExMerge) and then create a new database and import the PST
files. It's a slow process, but it works. Assuming you have fewer than
75 mailboxes (I think that's the limit in SBS) it isn't as bad as
trying this with thousnads of mailboxes.

					[ snip ]

>So, now I have an information store that for all intents and purposes is
>fine, except that I can't back it up. It always fails on the .stm file. The
>.stm file is about 1.6GB.

Size (in this case) doesn't matter.

					[ snip ]

>All the mail clients use Outlook 2007 via MAPI. We do have a number of
>clients that use POP3 to send and receive from their secondary mailboxes. We
>also have two Windows mobile phones that sync with Exchange.
>
>It seems I need to recreate the .stm file (to allow the backups to
>complete), but I'm concerned about data loss.

The .stm file contains all the e-mail that arrives from the Internet
(i.e. non-RPC connections). That e-mail stays in the .stm file unless
the message is modified by a RPC client -- at that point the entire
message is promoted from the streaming store (stm) to the property
store (mdb). Moving the mailboxes to another database would move all
the messages from the stm to the mdb file, for example.

>All the POP3 mailboxes (the secondary mailbox for a user) have the mail
>forwarded to the respective primary mailbox.

Those messages are in the streaming file.

>All POP3 sent mail is also
>stored in the primary users mailbox.

Perhaps so, but it's not in the property store (i.e the .mdb file).

>So, from what I can gather I should be
>able to create a new .stm file in the hope this enables the backup to
>complete.

You can -- it you can stomach the loss of the e-mail it holds.

>Or am I going down completely the wrong path.

That depends on whether data loss is a concern. If it is, ExMerge and
the creation of a new set of .stm and .mdb files is your best bet.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
2/14/2010 6:39:01 PM
Thanks again Rich. I thought that might be the case.

Could I instead create MAPI profiles for the secondary mailboxes (there's
about 10 of them) and connect them to Exchange (which should move the items
from the .STM to the .EDB)?
I could export these to .PST files (which would be much quicker), and then
create a new .STM file (using the /p /createstm option)?

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 22:10:01 -0800, thedriver (Tee)
<thedriverTee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks again Rich. I thought that might be the case.
>
>Could I instead create MAPI profiles for the secondary mailboxes (there's
>about 10 of them) and connect them to Exchange (which should move the items
>from the .STM to the .EDB)?

The type of connection doesn't affect the location of the messages
already in the .stm file.

>I could export these to .PST files (which would be much quicker), and then
>create a new .STM file (using the /p /createstm option)?

You could, but I think you're playing a dangerous game. Export ALL the
mailboxes to PST files and remove the damaged database files. Mount
the (now) missing database and empty files will be created. Then
import the PST files to the new database. Now there's no question that
anything wrong in the databases has been preserved to casue you grief
later.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich

Me.Dirty
Okay, Here is the setup of this monster database that we're using. We have an Access frontend with SQL server backend. We have about 14 tables that all link to one main table via main table's PK. To present this data, we have forms that have 14 sub-forms on them (long story, but in order to get what we needed, this was how we got it to work). We have the SQL server residing on one server and then six laptops connect to that server via wireless router (again, due to the mobility of the laptops, it has to be wireless). So at one time, there are six users entering data, but never ...

Converting from Netmail to Exchange
We are in the process of converting all of our student from Novell Netmail to exchange. I was wondering if anyone knew how to convert Netmail mailboxes to Exchange. This is not Novell's Groupwise, rather a very basic version of email for students. Thank you. ukpup ...

Exchange database not being updated
Hi, On our exchange server, we have one Mailbox Store in the First Storage group. In the mailbox store properties->database, the file for the exchange database is: H:\MDBDATA\priv1.edb and that for the Exchange streaming database is H:\MDBDATA\priv1.stm. The email system appears to be functioning perfectly but these two files never change- their size and last modified date, when viewed through explorer have been constant since the 8th of February this year. Is this not where the new emails are stored? How can it be unchanging? I discovered this issue (if it is an issue) because the backup...

2 Exchange Servers in the Same Domain
Microsoft Outlook SignatureHi, Please help as I'm new to Exchange.... I have 2 Windows 2003 Servers both with Exchange 2003 installed in the same domain, @ two different physical locations connected via a gateway to gateway VPN. If I have user on Server A, he can create a email in the gobal address list and send it without error to a user on Server B but it never arrives @ the server B's inbox? Is there a way to track it? K.J.B. You can enable message tracking... http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/The_Exchange_Message_Tracking_Center_or_How_to_Save_Your_A_in_a_Pinch.html CA...

Migrationg DLs from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003
Hi All, I want to move DLs from Exchange 5.5. to Exchange 2003. Exchange 5.5 is siting in a different domain different org than Exchange 2003. All users and mailboxes hava already been moved. Only problem I have is DLs. I think you can import it with "ldifde" or "csvde" tool after exporting the DLs from Exchange 5.5. I was not able to do it. I was wondering if someone has done it or know of a better way. Thanks in advance. Sanjeev Re-create them. On 20 Jun 2004 18:35:31 GMT, ssharma <sanjeev.sharma@rcn.com> wrote: >Hi All, > >I want to move...

Replication public folders between Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003
Hi there, One of my customers has the following situation: - Domain: w2k native mode - Exchange 2000 on a member server w2k, exchange also in native mode I build a Exchange 2003 server (with sp1) on w2k3 (sp1) (member) in the same exchange organization. No routing groups so it seems simple. All eventviewers are clear, so no errors. Now I want to replicate the public folders. At all folders I have add the new exchange server as replica, but nothing happens. I've done all the things such as adsiedit (email adress for public folders) and such things. After enable logging on the e2k server th...

upgrading win2k server/ exchange 2000 to Win2003 Server/Exchange 2003?
I'm currently running an Exchange 2000 Server on Windows 2000 server. Is it possible to simply upgrade this box to Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003? Or do I have to install Win2003 Server from scratch (ie reformat the whole box), and then add Exchange 2003? Thanks, Brian You need to upgrade it to Exchange 2003 first, as Exchange 2000 does not run on a Windows 2003 Server, and then you can simply upgrade it to Windows 2003. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Brian T" <pangean@optonline.net> wrote in message news:_...

Backup Exchange 2007 configuration (!) before installing SP2
Hello there, I am about to install Exchange Server 2007 SP2 on Exchange Server 2007 running on Windows 2008 (all German). Since I am not trained on Exchange 2007 (just a lot of selfstudy), I hesitate a bit. So I'd like to ask some questions. Perhaps you can help? 1 - How can I save the configuration of that Exchange Server? I have invested quite some time to get all needed features running on that server (one server for client acces, transport, edge, OWA). So far, beside my notes, there seems not to be something like saving the complete server configuration into a con...

Exchange servers
I have two exchange servers in the same domain connected via a VPN link. Exchange1 receives all email for DOMAIN.COM I have a single account - my new account - on Exchange2 and I can send emails to anybody anywhere perfectly and instantly. I cannot, however, seem to send emails to anybody within the global address list (i.e. anybody else on DOMAIN.COM who is on Exchange1). If I reply to emails I send out then it can take hours to come through to the server. The latest email took 4 hours to come through. Any ideas what is going on? They ping each other fine. - Are both servers in ...

Exchange 2003
Hi I have Exchange Server 2003 with SP1 installed. If have used the Microsoft article 817809 and changed the system registry to have the correct data (I hope). I have reset the server, but the change to the registry has made no difference at all, most external emails come through as Posts. Is there something I am missing or not doing? Thanks in advance Chris In news:1159883897.983072.38380@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, chris@omniaccounts.co.za <chris@omniaccounts.co.za> typed: > Hi > > I have Exchange Server 2003 with SP1 installed. If have used the > Microsoft article 8...

Microsoft Exchange Error
We seem to be experiencing a lag in sending mail. The mail seems to sit in the outbox anywhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes. When looking at the Windows 2000 server running Exchange 2000 we find the following two errors consistantly since the mail problem started . Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeSA Event Category: Monitoring Event ID: 1005 Date: 5/30/2005 Time: 3:16:23 PM User: N/A Computer: MU Description: Unexpected error <<0x8000ffff - An unexpected error occurred.>> occurred. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeSA Event Category: Monitoring Eve...

Excel Database
I need help with creating a name and address database with Excel Use one header row. One name per row. Put each field into a different column. different columns for Honorific (mr., mrs. ms. the reverend, etc) First Name middle Initial Last Name First Address 2nd address city st zip (zip+4) phone number (enter as numeric and format it as special|Phone) And any other field you can think of should be a separate column. It's really easy to combine two fields into one (=a1&" "&b1), but it's much more difficult to separate them. Different fields for each kid's...

POP3 users cant logon to Exchange Server 2003
Help! Most of the users in my organization are using POP3.Its either some of them cant logon to download their mails or they are logged on but their mails are not available.Could this be a Domain Controller issue?We have a single Exchange Server with Multiple Domain Controllers and Global Catalog Servers. Thanks for your response -- Buchi POP3 "pulls" emails off the exchange server by default, you can change it on the clients "leave on server" - but i can really recommend the RPC-HTTPS solution, access to the exchange server as easy as pop3!!! "Buchi" wr...

Check Names with Exchange 2003
I have Outlook 2000 clients installed on a network with Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003 servers. When Outlook is connected to an Exchange 5.5 mailbox (thus using Exchange DS) and the user enters a partial last name/first name combination separated by a comma (i.e. May, Hu when looking for Mayo, Hugh) the "Check Names" query is successful and all entries with those characters are retrieved. When Outlook is connected to an Exchange 2003 mailbox (thus using AD) and the same query is executed it fails. If a space is used instead of a comma the query is successful. Is there a way to...

Form Dirty Property
I am having difficulty in exploiting the ‘On Dirty’ property of forms. Sometimes it works as expected but, more often than not, changes to controls bound to table fields fail to trigger the On Dirty event. I am then forced to associate each amendable control with an After Update event. That invariably works but, with a dozen or more amendable controls on a form, the resulting code can look pretty clumsy. There is something that I have clearly not understood. Can anyone enlighten me? I just want to take appropriate action when any control on a form is updated or amended. -- Peter ...

listserv in Exchange 2003?
Does Exchange 2003 provide listserv functionality? If not, what product is a good add-on to Exchange 2003 to provide listserv capabilities? This is for a church so I'm looking for a product that offers non-profit licensing. I have the same question and purpose (and probably inexperience), that is, I am hoping to set it up for my church. Is anyone running Majordomo or Mailman? Kent, see the 9/29/04 4 postings under "List Manager for Exchange" you can search for for at least one suggestion. Gary "Kent McPherson" wrote: > Does Exchange 2003 provide listserv ...

Very slow Exchange Backups
We are using Backup Exec 9.1 to backup an Exchange 2000. We are backing up each mailbox. It is taking 15 to 20 hours to complete (45 gig). I need some help!!! "Scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are using Backup Exec 9.1 to backup an Exchange 2000. We are backing up each mailbox. It is taking 15 to 20 hours to complete (45 gig). I need some help!!! Stop doing the bricks level backups. One of the (endless number of) reasons people say not to do those backups is the length of time it takes. Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org FAQ: http://...

OWA
We are having problems with clients using OWA with Exchange 2003 SBS. They can successfully log in and receive mail, and can send new mail. However, if they attempt to reply to a message from a user on the same Exchange server, OWA will hang completely. Replies to external messages work normally. There are no error messages on the client, and nothing that I can find on the server side. The mail does not get sent. This may not be the correct forum for this post, but I'm sure someone will let me know if that is the case :-) Thanks in advance, Tim ...

How To Talk Dirty
Hi, Really cool to learn, but it's true for all dudes. 'How To Talk Dirty' (http://www.howtotalkdirty101.com) Talk Dirty -- womenops ...

Exchange 2000 server as Mail Gateway
Hi, The exchange is setup to be a mail gateway with two NICs . Also two domains are hosted in this server. All internal mail communication is fine ..But we are not able to receive mails for these two domains though the MX records are fine. The ndr we receive is as follows. Your message To: siva@informano.net Subject: FW: Undeliverable:test at 10.56 pm Sent: Sat, 1 May 2004 10:32:46 -0700 did not reach the following recipient(s): siva@informano.net on Sat, 1 May 2004 10:30:43 -0700 The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail...

Dirty Bits?
When I rebooted my computer (WinXP SP3) I got a bizarre message saying that "The volume is dirty," apparently in reference to my external hard drive. What the $%^& does this mean? And more particularly, must I do something about whatever is "dirty" about that drive? When I did a google search I found a reference to "setting the dirty bit," terminology which, I must admit, seems to have more to do with connubial delights than with my computer. of course, I also found ads hawking software which assuredly (yeah, sure) would fix this and any other...

Exchange 2003 and VPN
Exchange 2003, Outlook 2003, Cisco Secure VPN It seems when a user connects via vpn it takes A LONG TIME for them to connect to their mailbox. We havent had these issues with our Exchange 5.5 enviroment. Im curious if there are any known fixes, tips, tricks, etc... The DNS server on the VPN is set to the correct AD DNS servers... Use an older client and see if you have the same issue - ie Outlook 98. If it doesn't happen then its likely a problem getting to the DC/GCs which the older client doesn't do. At this point its hard to tell since your comparing two products that connect...

Accidently setup exchange account when it wasnt neccesary
When I first started Outlook 2003 I had the option to setup a exhange account. Now I do not have a exchange server so this wasn't neccesary. Well needless to say I wasnt paying close enough attention and pu my pop mail address into the box of where my exchange server is. Now the problem is everytime I start Outlook it tries to connect to the server and fails. Then when I try to cancel it out I get this message. "Unable to open your default email folders. The file C:document and Settings\zope\Local Setting\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is not an offline ...

Weather records into a database: Help
I have collected local weather records for the last 12 years and put the figures into an Excel spreadsheet. Each year is 1 workbook, so I have 12 workbooks/spreadsheets worth of data which has a heading for each month horizontally in that workbook. Then each month has a date or day listing vertically, with data for the different readings I have collected for each day. I have looked at trying to import each workbook, but it doesn't look right in Access 2007. The data is there, but the field names are F1, F2 etc, just like it is in the spreadsheet, with the Year and month fi...

Exchange Administration position
Hi Everyone! I am a technical recruiter in the Boston area. I'm working on a Sr. Level III Exchange Administrator position in the Providence, RI area. This person needs to have experience supporting Exchange in a large scale environment. If you are interested or know someone who is please send your resume to acranston@apexsystemsinc.com. Thanks! ...