Directory Permissions 5.5

Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory
(c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5

Thanks
DU

0
nospam8271 (15)

"uelman" <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory
>(c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5

IIRC, it's inherited from the root domain. In most cases that means
the Everyone group has full control.

Defaults aren't adequate.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> "uelman" <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory
>>(c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5
>
> IIRC, it's inherited from the root domain. In most cases that means
> the Everyone group has full control.
>
> Defaults aren't adequate.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

uelman (5)
1/12/2005 4:58:52 AM
"Duelman" <uelman@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>is it wise to have the everyone group with full control,

No.

>i'm nervous giving
>domain users full control

Unless they have acces to the administrative share (c$) or the ability
to log on locally there's not too much risk.

It's been years (literaly) since I've worked with 5.5, but IIRC
Microsoft (or someone else -- maybe it was the NSA?) had some
documentation on the setting permissions for 5.5.

.. . . it was the NSA:
http://www.nsa.gov/snac/app/exchange_5x.pdf

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

restore exchange 5.5 mailbox
Hi, I need to restore a mailbox from year 2002. At the time the Exchange 5.5 and Winnt backup were used, basically the database was backed up in Winnt. I know that Exchange 2000\2003 was introduced to get around the above problem but there maybe 3rd party software to do the above issue? I will be grateful for any information received. Mark Palmer. On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 06:13:06 -0800, "mark palmer - novice" <markpalmernovice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > I need to restore a mailbox from year...

"Can't copy the items. You don't have permission ..."
I use OL 2003, latest service pack,etc. My PST file is about 1.2 GB and is Unicode-compatible. Lately Outlook shuts down suddenly without warning, and I have left checked the box to restart Outlook automatically. This is a big annoyance. However, in the last 2-3 days, I'm seeing a new kind of problem. I can't delete or move messages from mail folders. I get the message that is in the subject line, and the balance of this message is: ... to create an entry in this folder. Right-click the folder and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder o...

Exchange 5.5 Transaction logs
I had to do a recovery of an Exchange 5.5 priv.edb file from a full backup. This restored correctly. I ran the isinteg -patch tool and started up the IS. Everything looked fine. I then had to start restoring the incrementals. I did the first one and half way through the restore I had a bad sector on the tape and could not get the full restore to complete. I then ran isinteg again and started the IS. The transaction logs ran and partial incremental data was restored. I tried to restore the next incremental and I can start the IS but the edb.log file is looking for different transaction log then...

Undeliverable...554 5.7.1 URL/Phone Number Filter
When sending an email message, a user gets: Alert message says: A mail message was not sent due to a protocol error. 554 5.7.1 URL/Phone Number Filter - cyber.net.pk Sender receives this notification: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Receiver Name Here (E-mail) on 9/26/05 11:47 AM Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=xxxxxx;l=xxxxx-xxxxxxxxx MSEXCH:IMS:xxxxx:xxxxx:xxxxx (xxxxx) 554 5.7.1 URL/Phone Number Filter - cyber.net.pk The Word file mentions a person's email address with cyber.net.pk as ...

moving PDC/Exch5.5 from one machine to anogher (evt. upgrade to 2003?)
Hi All, we have a little NT4.0 sp6 server that is PDC and also runs Exchange 5.5. That server (1st) is pretty old, and the NT system is making some funny things, so I am thinking about reinstalling the server. For that purpose I have another server (2nd), which I installed with NT4.0 sp6, and made it BDC. What I have in my mind is to install Exchange 5.5 on that BDC (2nd) , somehow synchronise it with the PDC's Exchange 5.5, and then promote the BDC to PDC, and "promote" 2nd"'s Exchange to be a "primary exchange", and 2st's Exchange to be a secondary. A...

Migrating Groupwise 5.5 mail
I am not sure what I am missing. I have separate 2003 sp1 server with novell client and groupwise 525 client that I am using for the intermediary migration machine. I can run groupwise and get mail on the intermediary. I run Mailmmig.exe from the cd and attempt a one-step migration. Path to migration files c:\temp\1. I opt to migrate to my Exchange server, and the server/store are populated automatically through AD. When I press NEXT, I receive EXCHANGE SERVER MIGRATION WIZARD alert "The address book is unavailable. Check that the Microsoft Exchange Server is still available.&quo...

Exchange/Outlook loss of permissions
I have a user at my new company that, throughout the day, loses | access to various folders, items, attachments. We are running | Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2002. It affects nobody else. So, when she | calls me, I check her outlook. I can get into her inbox, but various | other folders she's created it responds "Unable to display the | folder". If we try public folders it says "Unable to expand the | folder". Earlier, she tried to access an email in her Inbox, which | she could see in the preview pane, but when trying to double click to | open it she gets "Can't...

Update active directory user from Windows Service
Hi, I have a windows service that will pull data from an external source and I need to update this informaiton in AD from a Windows Service. What is the easiest way to do this? I looked at using the ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider but it seems that this is for ASP.NET applications only(?) or perhaps I am missing some better results in google. I know that I can connect via LDAP and change details using code like the following DirectorySearcher search = new DirectorySearcher(); search.Filter = String.Format("(SAMAccountName={0})", userName); ...

active directory diagramming
am looking to visio to produce graphical view of the AD site replication objects - site / server / naming contexts et al have so far generated a "static" view of this but of course as more sites come on line to the directory this will require a significant amount of redrawing was wondering what support versions of visio support a m ire dynamic export of the directory information to generate a dynamic view of the AD sites as per the example shown in the document " step by step guide to creating AD diagrams in visio 2002" Thanks GT There was a tool for Visio 2000 tha...

Permissions applied to excel
Hi All, I have a different problem alltogether. In my company people are using excel for various reporting purpose. Myself as Domain administrators applied restrictions in the folders and files. I have applied read and execute and write access to the folders and files. But after this excel files are not at all accepting changes. I think you might come to know the situation. But if I give modify access to the folder I can make the chages. I need a quick response for this problem. Kindly check this and give me a resolution. Thanking you Vijay ...

NT4 - Exchange 5.5
Hi I have Servers running NT4 SP6 + Exchange 5.5 SP4 I have Outlook 2000 & XP (2002) connecting to this servers and it is working fine Now I have Outlook 2003 trying to connect to these servers and it does not work @ all. I can connect to my exchange using telnet with the IP & Name. Outlook 2003 does resolve the server name but when I try to open outlook it tells me that the server is not available. Please HELP. W ...

NDr EXHANGE 5.5
seen some suggestion, like DL however I am getting multiples persecond of every name possible. this makes impossible to create a DL to flush these. I need a direct registry parm to turn off the NDR. where do I look? There is no way to prevent generation of NDR to the sender. You can disable generation of notifications to admin in IMC props\Internet mail\Notifications. BJ Freeman wrote: > seen some suggestion, like DL > however I am getting multiples persecond of every name possible. > this makes impossible to create a DL to flush these. > > I need a direct registry parm ...

permissions for restart_sql_server.bat
I=92ve got a restart.bat that will shutdown and then startup the sql server 2005 process once a week. I put it in task scheduler and it runs if I give the account its running under (sql_maint) administrator permissions. But I didn=92t want to give that account admin permissions. Is there another group that I should use to get this to run, or is there a way to configure the sql server service to allow a certain user or group to shutdown and startup the service? Thanks in advace, Jim serveradmin Members of the serveradmin fixed server role can change server-wide conf...

How do I get all files in any directory?
Hello everyone. Now I'm posting a FAT32 partition reading program. Any directory have 512 files. See next codes: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ for (nLoop = 0; nLoop <= dwSectorPerCluster*16; nLoop++) { if (lpDirEntry[nLoop].Name[0] == 0x00) break; if (lpDirEntry[nLoop].Name[0] == 0xE5) continue; if (lpDirEntry[nLoop].Attribute == 0x0F) { dwLongEntryEn = 1; continue; } memset(szFileName, 0x00, sizeof(szFileName)); memset(szTmp, 0x00, sizeof(szTmp)); if (dwLongEntryEn == 1) { m_F...

help with a formula #5

E5.5@w2k backup on non-exchange w2k
Hello, Experts! Ntbackup utility at non-exchange w2k server doesnt propose to backup exchange5.5 running at another w2k server. (both are AD controllers) What is the solution to make remote online (tape) backup? I'd like to know about MS tools/ways only, not third- party's. :(( Can't find in kb an article like "Perform Exchange NT Backup on Workstation" :)) Thanks in advance Yuriy "Yuriy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, Experts! > >Ntbackup utility at non-exchange w2k server doesnt propose >to backup exchange5.5 r...

Exchange 5.5 Transaction Log Issue
Have Veritas 9.0 now setup to do incrementals on Exchange 5.5, Mon-Thu, and Full on Friday. Disabled Circular Logging. Will the transaction logs be deleted by the Full Backup, or will they keep building? If the full backup succeeds it should delete the logs. "rk" wrote: > Have Veritas 9.0 now setup to do incrementals on Exchange 5.5, Mon-Thu, and Full on Friday. Disabled Circular Logging. Will the transaction logs be deleted by the Full Backup, or will they keep building? I'm curious as to why you want to do incremental... How long does a full backup take? My impressio...

Hi I wish to send a mail on behalf of a public folder in Exchange 2003. Although I set this permission correctly in the Exchange System Manager, trying to send mail from that folder fails and returns a non-delivery error with "You do not have permission to send to this recipient.'. Does anyone have a clue how to resolve this, because I do not know anymore what to look for... Thanks Herman Herman, Check that the account you are sending from is indeed able to send to the recipient. Check the recipents properties in ADU&C and ensure that accept mail from anyone is sele...

Calendar folder under public folder doesn't show up after migrated exchange from 5.5 to 2003
Hello, I got a problem on the public folder migration. I set up a new exchange 2003 server on the network and join it to exchange 5.5 site. and make a replication between two server. everything seem be ok. I have moved some mailbox to new exchange server, and also replica public folder to the new server. I can see all of public folder in the new exchange 2003 server from exchange 2003 system manager. but when I attached outlook client to the new exchange server, user can see all of public folder which contain mail items, but can not see public calendar folder which contain appointment items...

Outlook Email #5
My email stays in the outbox. Even after opening it and clicking send, it will not leave the outbox. I get an error message indicating there might be a problem with registration issues and that I should reinstall the program. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the program, but this did not solve the problem ...

Chart Question #5
I have 5 points (labeled 1 thru 5) that are randomly generated each with an x,y coordinates. I want to plot them on a scatter diagram and then ID each point by its label not its coordinates. Can somebody help. Hi, Download the free add in at http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm this is designed just for this purpose. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Xl2007" wrote: > I have 5 points (labeled 1 thru 5) that are randomly generated each with an > x,y coordinates. I want to plot them on a scatter diagram and then ID each > point by its label not its coordinat...

formating numbers #5
i have a huge list of numbers that appear as, for example 12345-1, but would like to change them so they appear as 0012345-001. help please If your value is in cell A1, then in another cell enter: ="00" & LEFT(A1,6) & "00" & RIGHT(A1,1) and you will have your desired result. -- Gary's Student "Daveed" wrote: > i have a huge list of numbers that appear as, for example 12345-1, but would > like to > change them so they appear as 0012345-001. help please You have a few replies at your other post in .excel. Daveed wrote: > > ...

Migrating E5.5/NT4 to E2003/W2K
I am going to be migrating E5.5 to E2003 very soon Can anyone please give me tips as I would like to avoid as many probs a possible. I can use the same IP, Domain name etc Thanks in Advance Hi, Done a few of those You could do an in-place upgrade but you must be absolutely sure about your backups. For me, the easiest (and probably safest) way is to do a new installation of 2003 and run the two systems in parralel until all users have been migrated to the new system before shutting down the old system. I short: Suppose you have alias@demo.com as your current e-mail domain: 1. Create a...

Excel Question #5
All, I need your help: Please see below: line1: 1 line2: 1 line3: 1 line4: 2 result: 2 I want the result to show if the any lines (cells) of the above cells contain 2, if not nothing. Thanks in advance. Hi, You could use COUTNIF Assume your numbers (1 & 2) are in range B2:B10 in B11 enter =COUNTIF(B2:B10,"2") Hope this helps, Gav. "alish" wrote: > All, > > I need your help: Please see below: > line1: 1 > line2: 1 > line3: 1 > line4: 2 > > result: 2 > > I want the result to show if the any lines (cells) of the above ce...

How to export permission DLs from Ex5.5 to Ex2K?
Hello, Can anyone suggest the best (or easiest) way to export several groups from Ex5.5 and import them into Ex2k, where both versions of Exchange are in the same Windows domain/AD but different Organizations? The lists in Ex5.5 are used only for permissions. Thanks, - Alan. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=261112 Then use CSVDE to import Nue "Alan" <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1156869439.273352.158310@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > Can anyone suggest the best (or easiest) way to export several groups > from Ex5.5 and import them ...