Design of connectors

Hello
I need some help to optimise our systems, which I inherited.

Our company has 2 sites, connected with a sufficient link of 1 mbit.
Site 1 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 10.0.0.1 and
site 2 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 20.0.0.1

Site 1 has an backup Internet link of 256 mbit to ISP1 and
Site 2 has a main Internet link of 1 mbit to ISP2 (we are using ISA 2004)

All internet traffic flows from Site1 to SiteB, through ISA and so on.
How should I configure Exchanges SMTP connectors and routing group (RG)
connectors at both sites to achieve maximum reliabilty?

In Site1: do I need a primary SMTP connector with resolving using DNS and
cost of 1
and secondary SMTP connector with forwarding to 20.0.0.1 and cost of 5?
Do I need any RG connectors at all? If yes, with what cost?

The same questions about Site 2.

Thanks,
Gera

0
Gera

On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:08:51 +0300, "Gera" <gera@ @lukrecija.lt>
wrote:

>Hello
>I need some help to optimise our systems, which I inherited.
>
>Our company has 2 sites, connected with a sufficient link of 1 mbit.
>Site 1 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 10.0.0.1 and
>site 2 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 20.0.0.1
>
>Site 1 has an backup Internet link of 256 mbit to ISP1 and
>Site 2 has a main Internet link of 1 mbit to ISP2 (we are using ISA 2004)
>
>All internet traffic flows from Site1 to SiteB, through ISA and so on.
>How should I configure Exchanges SMTP connectors and routing group (RG)
>connectors at both sites to achieve maximum reliabilty?
>
>In Site1: do I need a primary SMTP connector with resolving using DNS and
>cost of 1
>and secondary SMTP connector with forwarding to 20.0.0.1 and cost of 5?
>Do I need any RG connectors at all? If yes, with what cost?
>
>The same questions about Site 2.
>
>Thanks,
>Gera

I don't actually think I'd bother with any connectors.
Let Site 1 send its traffic to the Internet on the 256Mb line and let
Site 2 send its own and do the receiving. The Exchange at Site 2 will
then send the mail for Site 1 down the 1Mb connection.

Simply have the network guys take care of the routing. They will
configure the appropriate gateway protocol so that a failure in the
primary ISP feed will failover to the secondary ISP.

Remember that Exchange is merely one small part of the equation. What
is the sense of you making changes to the routing if nobody can browse
because the network boys haven't done their jobs.
0
mark7219 (5666)
5/21/2005 4:29:05 PM
So, your advise is to use only two SMTP virtual servers without any SMTP
connectors and routing groups.
But probably I still need to have some kind of Site1-Site2 link? At this
time it is Site1-Site2 Routing Group Connector.

==
Gera

> On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:08:51 +0300, "Gera" <gera@ @lukrecija.lt>
> wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>I need some help to optimise our systems, which I inherited.
>>
>>Our company has 2 sites, connected with a sufficient link of 1 mbit.
>>Site 1 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 10.0.0.1 and
>>site 2 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 20.0.0.1
>>
>>Site 1 has an backup Internet link of 256 mbit to ISP1 and
>>Site 2 has a main Internet link of 1 mbit to ISP2 (we are using ISA 2004)
>>
>>All internet traffic flows from Site1 to SiteB, through ISA and so on.
>>How should I configure Exchanges SMTP connectors and routing group (RG)
>>connectors at both sites to achieve maximum reliabilty?
>>
>>In Site1: do I need a primary SMTP connector with resolving using DNS and
>>cost of 1
>>and secondary SMTP connector with forwarding to 20.0.0.1 and cost of 5?
>>Do I need any RG connectors at all? If yes, with what cost?
>>
>>The same questions about Site 2.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Gera
>>
> I don't actually think I'd bother with any connectors.
> Let Site 1 send its traffic to the Internet on the 256Mb line and let
> Site 2 send its own and do the receiving. The Exchange at Site 2 will
> then send the mail for Site 1 down the 1Mb connection.
>
> Simply have the network guys take care of the routing. They will
> configure the appropriate gateway protocol so that a failure in the
> primary ISP feed will failover to the secondary ISP.
>
> Remember that Exchange is merely one small part of the equation. What
> is the sense of you making changes to the routing if nobody can browse
> because the network boys haven't done their jobs.

0
Gera

design templates
Once I download a new design template (Letterhead), how do I make it available to all new documents. Currently, I can use the new template for one document. However, when I import any data, it disappears. Then, when I go to choose a publication design, the template is not available. How can I make new/downloaded design templates available from the publication designs window? Are you asking about those from the Office web site? Once the download is complete, save as... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Char...

Excel 2000... Missing row and column designators. #4

how do i change to the new design in outlook 2007
Outlook 2007 is installed on my computer but everytime I open the program the old design is what I see. > Outlook 2007 is installed on my computer but everytime I open the > program the old design is what I see. The Ribbon is only available in new message/appointment/task windows, not to the main Outlook window. -- f.h. Microsoft Outlook MVP ...

Switching to design mode causes VS 2008 to freeze.
When I'm working on a web project and switch a page from source to design mode, VS hangs. Anybody have any thoughts? This doesn't appear to project specific - just that's it's a web page (.aspx) when it happens. TIA - Jeff. ...

Design specifications and guidelines
A small question. Where can i find the Design Specifications and Guidelines - Visual Design. Spacing: How many DLUs should there between 2 group boxes (vertically arranged) in a Dialog box? best regards bav In theory, as many as you want, but in practice, only as many as you use. Since Microsoft has abandoned any attempt to maintan GUI guidelines within their own products, there is very little reason to be too wound up about this kind of trivia (I have largely ignored most of it. Build a dialog box that looks good, and nobody is going to be counting pixels). For group boxes, you can...

Exchange 5.5 connector??
Hi Anyone here know how to setup a site to site connector in Exchange 5.5? Thank you, Jack Black, IT Manager Federal Aviation there are several articles on this in the kb...here's one, but it's basically as simple as selecting File, New other, Site Connector...and applying the appropriate configuration: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230602 "Jack Black" <JB@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%239fakyy8EHA.3640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Anyone here know how to setup a site to site connector in Exchange 5.5? > > Than...

Using decisions in Access design
Hi all, I want to set up an introductory page for an Access 2007 project. On this page would be some instructions and links to different pages with the usual form entries. Each of these pages would be different enough to warrant their own page and fields, but there would be similarities between all pages that need to keep them in the same database. Example: I have that introductory page with instructions and links to eight new pages. Fields 1-3 on each of the eight pages would contain identical types of information (Name, URL, and Password). These would have the same fiel...

Design
Hello, I have been working through serveral lessons within a workbook course but the problem that I am having is when I want to setup my own spreadsheet outside of the workbook I have problems with doing that. What type of approach should I take with designing a spreadsheet. Kelly I think that would depend on what it would be used for , Inventory, calculating values such as Cpk, Ppk, Stdev.... Sales report... they all have their own needs as to how you would design your spreadsheet, so that it suits the best of your needs. "Jessica@aol.com" wrote: > Hello, > > I...

Bug or By Design?
Hi, I recently had a problem with one of my XPath expressions which led me to believe there might be a bug in XmlNode, although it could be by design since I didn't find anything in the KB. Consider the the code appended below. The function CleanEmptyElements removes all empty elements from the document using a XPath expression. As you will notice in the code, I add two empty elements. If you check the resulting testXml.xml file, the "SpecialEmptyElement" element, though emtpy is still present. The only special thing about it is that I assign a null string to the InnerT...

accde
Hi, I have some VBA that modifies a report's design. However, the code throws an exception on this line: DoCmd.OpenReport rpt_name, acViewDesign I understand the reason why, so here's my question: Q) How can my VBA code modify a report in an accde file? Thanks On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:26:01 -0800, Andy <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Q) How can my VBA code modify a report in an accde file? It can't. You must use an accdb. -- John W. Vinson [MVP] Hello, I have the same problem... and I create several reports... ...

Great Plains connector SQL 2000 not installed but it is.
I am running a W2k3 SP1 server with SQL 2005 (housing the CRM and Great Plains Databases) and SQL 2000 SP4, installed so the connector can use it. The connector installation fails, saying "SQL 2000 not installed" and "SQL 2000 SP4 not installed" but they are both installed. Thanks for your help. ...

Design of connectors
Hello I need some help to optimise our systems, which I inherited. Our company has 2 sites, connected with a sufficient link of 1 mbit. Site 1 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 10.0.0.1 and site 2 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 20.0.0.1 Site 1 has an backup Internet link of 256 mbit to ISP1 and Site 2 has a main Internet link of 1 mbit to ISP2 (we are using ISA 2004) All internet traffic flows from Site1 to SiteB, through ISA and so on. How should I configure Exchanges SMTP connectors and routing group (RG) connectors at both sites to achieve maximum reliabilt...

Query design question?
Query1 retrieves data for 2,000 records from a series of linked tables that have about 100,000 recordset Query2 retrieves data for 5,000 records from another series of linked tables that has about a 100,000 recordset as well. Query1 and Query2 are linked on a customer ID (e.g.) Should there be a simple join between Query1 and Query2 on Customer ID, or would there there be a benefit to limiting the records in Query2 first? Yes, SQL Server app - have an old stopwatch, but didn't know if some general guidelines applied. "Jerry Whittle" <JerryWhittle@discussions.micros...

What does "(Bulk)" designation mean on email
I had a bunch of email show up suddenly all prefixed with (Bulk). No pattern of sender nor date sent. Some were two weeks old. Does anyone know what this means or what happened. Sound like something added by integrated anti virus or spam app, or possibly your ISP AV/Spam filters, nothing to do with Outlook "Mobydick" <Mobydick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8056B15-6391-43F2-899C-47DC8F2B369E@microsoft.com... >I had a bunch of email show up suddenly all prefixed with (Bulk). No >pattern > of sender nor date sent. Some were two we...

Invoice Designer not saving custom designs
Is anyone else running into an issue of Invoice Designer not saving custom designs? It seems to save ok, but the new invoice is not available from within Money Small Business 2005. See this: http://money.mvps.org/faq/default.aspx#Business (second article in that section) -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback...

Designing a Brochure
I'm trying to put together a Real Estate Brochure as a hand out piece and I have little experience in publisher. I'm thinking a trifold on heavier paper, suitable for mailing. THere has to be existing templates for this, right? I'm using Publisher 2003. Try adapting one of these Real Estate http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT011387581033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "eric12086" <eric12086@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:972BEE3D-97A2-4EE4-A65D-FEA63...

Print email retrieved with pop3 connector.
Hullo, I need to print autotically all email downloaded with sbs2003 pop3 connector from my isp account. Is it possibile with Exchange 2003 ?! How ?! Thanks for your help. -- _________________________ Luca P. You can't do this with Exchange. You *may* be able to do it via some sort of Outlook rule, but that's the only way I can think of. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Luca" <NOSPAMlucapanattoni@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uwMiChq9FHA.1420@TK2MSFTNGP09.p...

Event ID: 1072 and Source: POP3 Connector
I have a user saying that he receieves some emails that he has been bcc'ed and not others. We currently running SBS2003 with Outlook 2003. Exchange still using POP3 based mailboxes. Any idea what this might be? Thanks On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:24:02 -0800, Tonton <Tonton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a user saying that he receieves some emails that he has been bcc'ed >and not others. > >We currently running SBS2003 with Outlook 2003. Exchange still using POP3 >based mailboxes. > >Any idea what this might be? > >Thanks Is he receiving i...

Create files and performance design
Hi, I've a MFC VC++ 6 program which needs to be updated to write out image (jpg, 640x480) files at a rate of 1s. What is the best approach in designing the writer class, such that, it does not block the main thread while the images are written onto disk? My initial thought is the put the Writer class onto a separate thread? What are my alternatives? >My initial thought is the put the Writer class onto a separate thread? What >are my alternatives? Overlapped IO - see the FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED option of the CreateFile API. Dave You have a couple choices here. One is to ...

Invoice design #2
How can I make my designed invoice template the default one please? Joe wrote: > How can I make my designed invoice template the default one please? That's a tricky one. There is hope: I fought with it for more than a year, then it started doing what I want. Unfortunately, I never did figure out exactly what did the trick. Good luck... -- Steve Bell New Life Home Improvement Arlington, TX ...

Design..
Hi, I've learnt c++ and mfc and im building a program that is using both, but i,mm having a problem combining all the code together. this is my first serious progect using them, and im having a problem in code design and it goes as follows: how can if i have file "a.cpp" that is connected to a "a.h" file(c++ class files) and i have file "f.cpp" and "f.h" how can i make f which is the main program use the class i have in "a". thanks. > I've learnt c++ and mfc and im building a program that is using both, MFC is written is C...

RMS - CRM
I run Dynamics CRM 4.0 and RMS 2.0 . What options do I have for Accounts integration between these three products (Crm, Accounts Application, RMS). I was hoping by now there would be a seemless link but I cannot see one and I've been waiting 4 years now ! :-) Because we are UK based Accounting 2009 looks our only option as GP seems far to complex for us. Can you help me out with these questions ? 1) Does anyone have any news on integrating pos2009 to accounting pro 2009? 2) Should I migrate to accounting pro 2009 and prey that a link is born. I'm getting fed up of double enter...

Can't Add/Delete (and More) in Report Design
Hi all, there is probably a really simple solution to this, but I cannot seem to figure it out. In the Design Mode of one of the reports I am working on, I cannot add/delete fields from a report. If I right- click on any field, other options are also greyed-out; such as copy/ paste/cut/build/hyperlink. I can move the fields around and edit their contents, etc. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance! If all else fails try copying/cutting and pasting the fields into a new report. It's possible the report somehow got corrupted and once that happens it's sometimes better jus...

Invoice Design in MS Money 2005 Small Business
I designed a new Invoice and exported it to an .INV file. When I attempt to import into Money it gives the following error: "Money cannot import an INV file that was created before July, 2002. Please try importing a more recent version of the file." How do I fix this? Thanks You do not import an Invoice into Money, you import invoices into the Invoice Designer. You simply use/print to that invoice in Money. If you are having problems using an invoice that you created in Money 2005's Invoice Designer, you may want to reference the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: h...

How do I add a design I have to the design list to use in future
I have a design I use all of the time for presentations and I would like to add it to my list of designs for future use. I don't know how to do this. I have the design on file Just save the file as a Template (Office Button / Save As / Save as type: PowerPoint Template / click on Save). If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "donnaferrall" wrote: > I have a design I use all of the time for presentations and I would like to > add it to my list of designs for future use. I don't know how to do this. I > have the design on file ...