Demote DC from Exchange Server

Hi,

I have a Domain Controller running Exchange 2003 in it and another DC.
Anyone have experience demoting a DC from Exchange Server?

Pls advise.

Thanks,
Gabriel

0
glchua (2)

Running dcpromo on a combined E2K3 / DC box is not supported:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822179

Your best bet is to build another temporary E2K3 box, move the resources to
it, trash the old box and rebuild solely as an E2K3 box, then move
everything back.  Oh, and you'd then be best off with 1 more DC/GC for
resilience.

--
Neil Hobson
Exchange MVP

"Gabriel Chua" <glchua@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Domain Controller running Exchange 2003 in it and another DC.
> Anyone have experience demoting a DC from Exchange Server?
>
> Pls advise.
>
> Thanks,
> Gabriel

0
neil.hobson (1158)

Public Folder Replication Reminder
Hi, I am posting this in the hope that I can confirm how public folders are replicated between two Exchange 2000 servers, which are installed in the same Exchange 2000 organisation, administrative group and routing group. Up to this point, we have had only a single Exchange server, but I have now been forced to install a second Exchange server within the same organsation, administrative and routing group as the single server is on it's last legs. I have only the default Public Folder Tree in operation and both my servers have Public Folder stores configured and mounted. I need to ...

How to transfer Outlook files to new user installation or file server?
I have created a new Windows XP account and I want to transfer the the Outlook email files from the old logins to the new login. I have copied the Outlook pst files from the old accounts folder to the new accounts folder, but when I open Outlook the mail contents are there but it seems that Outlook does not remember the old email account details. Is there a way to transfer the email accounts details as well? The previous email accounts are still there with the original mailboxes in the old logins, only the email account details not coming over. It appears that they are not stored with the...

server and client threads
I wanted to ping the group and see if anyone else has any input on how to handle the following. I have a server thread which starts a new background thread when a connection is accepted on a socket. What I want to understand is what is the best way to track the spawned threads so that when the user goes to shutdown the application, we know how many active child connections are running and we can terminate them prior to the application being stopped. TIA Chris On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:44:57 -0500, chris cranford <chris.cranford@tkdsoftware.com> wrote: >I wanted to ping the grou...

domain user with only Exchange/pop3
Hi, I'm moving from external mail provider to my own Exchange 5.5 / w2k srv. Some of my users has to use pop3 (not necessarily but anyway - offline access). Therefore I've got a question; what are steps to make domain user ONLY mail user, not allowing him to login, access files etc. Will it be enough to remove him from domain users group? thx, lunak Create security group for your POP3-ers and make sure that each machine on the network (except server) restricts them from network access and local logon. On the server make sure that group is explicitely denied access to everything ...

Auto-Import Currency Exchange Rates?
Does anyone know of any software to auto-import daily exchange rates for Dynamics GP? We currently manually update 3 exchange rates daily (EUR, GBP, CDN). On Nov 22, 1:01 am, GPINC <GP...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone know of any software to auto-import daily exchange rates for > Dynamics GP? We currently manually update 3 exchange rates daily (EUR, GBP, > CDN). You can use Integration manager to import exchange rates into Dynamics. There would typically be two steps 1. You setup a download to a file from a web service from say yahoo finance or WSJ 2. You...

Exchange is currently in recovery mode
Hi all, I've just built and SBS 2003 network but one of my users gets the smae message everytime they open outlook 2003. It reads 'exchange is currently in recovery mode'. Anyone got any ideas why this may be happening? The profile is setup in exactly the same way as every other user. No one else gets this message either. Looking forward to an answer Take care Delete the users profile and recreate it. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1c96d01c45312$b6ea46...

Microsoft Exchange
I'm trying to turn on Junk e-mail rules and I get an error messaging saying I need to close Outlook and connection to the Exchange server. Help! What version of Outlook are we talking about here and what type of e-mail account service are you using? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Glinda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12d901c478d1$23027c80$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > I'm trying to turn on Jun...

Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2k
I am planning the migration of a email server for a large corp. I need to know what to monitor to determine of upgrades are needed. My current specs are : Compaq DL 580 Generation 1 2 700mhz xeon cpus with 2mb cache 1 gb memory I already have a plan for my disk config. the server is running nt4 and exchange 5.5 it has 625 mailboxes 1546 public folders The machine is capable of upgrading to quad piii 900xeon processors and max of 16gb ram. I want to set this machine up as Win2k server (possibly advanced server depending on Ram upgrade) and exchange 2k what kind of increased load can i...

Exchange Configuration issue
Hi, We have just installed a network for a customer consisting of a windows 2003 domain split over two sites. The sites are linked by a VPN with decent bandwidth (4MB up 1MB down at each end). In each site we have an exchange server running Exchange Server 2003 SP2. In the main site the Exchange server runs exchange only and nothing else, in the branch office the Exchange server is also a DC. The main site has about 60 users and the remote site about 20 users. The MX record for the domain is registered to the main site so all mail arrives there first and is then forwarded on to the branch if n...

Outlook 2007 gets "Cannot connect to exchange" server down message but 2003 is fine
We just migrated from Exchange 2003 to 2007. Both the 03 and the new 07 server are still running side by side while public folder replication occurs. The 03 exchange server is also our terminal services computer. I upgraded Outlook to 2007 on the 03/terminal services machine. All users except 2 had no problems on first log in. 2 users though simply cannot connect to exchange. All I get is a generic "unable to connect to exchange" error message when opening outlook. Setting of the account automaticly fails or propets for credentials which fails. I have restarted the server and...

Exchange scan add in
Hi, my enterprise has just installed the latest McAfee anti virus system on to my windows vista laptop (I am alone in running Vista everyone else has XP) On opening Outlook from Office 2007, I get the following message. The Addd In "Exchange Scan" C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed\VirusScan\ OtlkUI.20090630111923.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by outloook. Any ideas on 1 what this is, 2. where/how to find and disable this as it isn't at the address given 1. Its the mcafee email scanning feature. 2. tools, trust center, addins - is it listed in the disabled add...

2003 missing message ID unless using Exchange sever
My original post seems to have dissappeared... Ah well, here are the replies, anyone know a fix? Message-IDs are generated by Exchange server if you are=20 using Outlook 2003 in an exchange server environment.=20 But if you are using Outlook 2003 in a non-exchange=20 environment (generic SMTP server) then server logs show=20 no message_ID for anything sent from Outlook 2003,=20 previous versions of Outlook have Message-IDs on the same=20 server. see http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2003/up031211.htm, under=20 outlook 2003 messages suspected as spam. Fair enough if people want to turn Message-...

Mailbox Migration from Gmail to Exchange 2010
Hi All, Could you any one of you tell me how to migrate the mails form Gmail to Exchange server 2010 Thanks in advance You can try the Microsoft Transporter Suite. I don't know if it works with Exchange 2010 yet or not, though. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=35FC4205-792B-4306-8E4B-0DE9CCE72172&displaylang=en -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Saravana Kumar" <Saravana Kumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43B9C73C-F791-4DD2-B5CF-9311...

Account demotion
A long time ago, I set up one of the accounts on our computer as a "power user". I would now like to demote it to a regular user. It's been long enough that I don't recall what I must do. Any help would be appreciated. The machine is XP Pro SP3, using welcome screen and simple file sharing. -- Jeff Barnett "Jeff Barnett" <jbbrus@ca.rr.com> wrote in message news:ewrFLDS3KHA.5212@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > A long time ago, I set up one of the accounts on our computer as a "power > user". I would now like to demote it to a re...

Best way to take Exchange 2003 install off a DC??
I have a client with Exchange 2003 installed on a Windows 2003 Domain Controller that's also a GC. What is the best approach to migrate Exchange 2003 off and retain just the Windows 2003 Domain Controller? There is a separate DC in the same domain that holds all the FSMO roles. From what I read, the Exchange server should be moved off, not the DC role. Any thoughts? thanks in advance install exchange elsewhere, move all mailboxes and public folders, uninstall exchange "dude" <dude@aol.com> wrote in message news:uJ$jdZRzGHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I ...

Exchange version and service pack
Where can I find the version and the most recent service pack installed for Exchange? Thank you, Cheryl Hello Cheryl, to determine the version of your exchange server open the exchange management console and have a look at the server properties. You will find the servers software version and the build count. this is what it means (taken from http://www.msexchangefaq.de): Exchange 4.0 (Version 4.0) Version Build Bemerkung 4.0 RTM 4.0.837.x April 1996 4.0 SP 1 4.0.838.x Mai 1996 4.0 SP 2 4.0.993.x August 1996 4.0 RTM(a) 4.0.993.x August 1996 4.0 SP 3 4.0....

CFtpConnection::PutFile only creating 0 length file on server
hey guys, i recently made a tiny app using the MFC class CFtpConnection that is sending files to an AS/400 server. its been working consistently for a few months now with no problems. but in the last couple of weeks its been failing. during the method PutFile(), it would set the transfer type to ASCII and it would try to put the file on the server, but it only creates a 0 length file with the appropriate filename and timesout (usually after like 3 minutes or so) with a bad return code. ive googled it in groups and have found similar cases where this function was doing the same thing bu...

Trying to determine version of exchange installed by file version
Can anyone tell me a file and its extension that shows in the properties what version of exchange is installed. I am trying to find out using SMS how many different versions of exchange are in production, but I have to find an ..exe or .dll that has in its properties the version. Does anyone know what file would show me the installed version? Many Thanks, David Baur http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158530/ has all the build numbers. From what I've found so far, version of store.exe corresponds to the build number. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- &qu...

Other Email Apps with Exchange support
Does anyone know of anything other than Outlook that has full Exchange support? Thanks! On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:16:51 -0700, PCSoothsayer <PCSoothsayer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know of anything other than Outlook that has full Exchange support? > >Thanks! Any IMAP client. Any POP client. What do you define as "full" exchange support? On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:42:43 +0100, "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:16:51 -0700, PCSoothsayer ><PCSoothsayer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >...

Bug with AD and Exchange
Hi, May I make a request to an MVP to report the following bug to Microsoft. Renaming a user account causes outlook to display an incorrect name. That is name <incorrect name>. Using adsi edit to rename the CN value causes major problems....Deleteing the Outlook autocomplete cache does not work and this is not an Outlook problem. Once again I make a plea to an MVP to report this problem to Microsoft. If there is a fix, I haven't been able to find it. Many other people in these newsgroups have the same problem but there is no clear solution! Your help is greatly appreciated. ...

How to connect another DC after primary DC down?
I have three server, first DC for file sharing second DC for print server and last server (not DC) for Exchange server 2003. How can exchange run after first DC down? On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 06:25:02 -0700, "Mesak" <Mesak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have three server, first DC for file sharing second DC for print server and >last server (not DC) for Exchange server 2003. How can exchange run after >first DC down? Sounds like you didn't make the 2nd server a GC. Would that be right? You can make a DC a GC by ticking the box iN ADS&S, NTDS Settings, an...

Server-Side Rules Storage
I have users who use rules profusely in order to manage mail flow. They are complaining that once they get to about "60" rules, they are told they have no more rom for rules. I have found this article that applies to Exchange 2000. I can't find anything documented in regards to Exchange 2003. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241325 Any ideas, or can you point me to the documentation where this is defined for 2003? can we change the storage size? Brian On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:28:09 -0600, "Brian Carpenter" <bc@incucomm.com> wrote: >I have users w...

Exchange 2007 Security
I know by default exchange 2007 uses encryption when it tranfers data between mail servers. does it have a feature that would allow you send an encrypted message to another person outside your company like some 3rd party products. I know you can do digital signatures. Eddie <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know by default exchange 2007 uses encryption when it tranfers data between >mail servers. does it have a feature that would allow you send an encrypted >message to another person outside your company like some 3rd party products. What 3rd-party products? A...

Exchange 2003 #42
Staff could not connect to exchange 2003. The Event log file reported the following error. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Event Catergory: General Event ID: 7200 Date: 03/12/2005 Description: Background thread FDoUpdateCatalog halted on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (Server_Name)" due to error code 0x80004005. How do I fix this error. Does anyone know about this? "=?Utf-8?B?QXJuaQ==?=" <Arni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:D741B69B-6D25-48A0-AD58-188587AC5F4F@microsoft.com: > Staff could not connect to exchange ...

Exchange question
Anyone heard of Exchange Server taking 18 hours to send an e-mail? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.facebook.com/dyadallee UK Time for a Common Sense change vote Liberal Democrat / Alliance The Doctor wrote: > Anyone heard of Exchange Server taking 18 hours to send an e-mail? Sure. Was it one particular email to one particular destination. Large attatments? Could be many reasons depending upon the particu...