Deleting .edb and .stm files on FE Exch2K3 Svr

I have a FE Exchange server that still has four mailboxes on it that
cannot be moved, and some of the database files for E2K3 are just
taking up space on this server and I would like to get rid of them if
possible.

The mailboxes that remain on this server that cannot be moved (I've
tried) are:
- Connector for RightFax
- SMTP
- System Attendant
- SystemMailbox - I don't know about this one.....

The db files that I have in question, as well as the last date they
were accessed are:

priv1.edb     11/26/2006
priv1.stm     11/26/2006
priv1.edb_    08/15/2006
priv1.stm_    11/20/2006

I have already replicated the PF store to the BE server and deleted the
PF store replica on the FE, so that's not an issue.

So my questions are:

-  Do I really need to move these mailboxes off the FE to the BE
server?
-  As the option to move the existing mailboxes from the FE to the BE
are not showing up, is there another way to move the mailboxes?
-  Can I go ahead and free up some by deleting these files?

Thanks in advance for your help!

sax

0
saxophobe1 (13)

On 14 Dec 2006 13:27:56 -0800, "saxophobe" <saxophobe@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a FE Exchange server that still has four mailboxes on it that
>cannot be moved, and some of the database files for E2K3 are just
>taking up space on this server and I would like to get rid of them if
>possible.
>
>The mailboxes that remain on this server that cannot be moved (I've
>tried) are:
>- Connector for RightFax
>- SMTP
>- System Attendant
>- SystemMailbox - I don't know about this one.....
>
>The db files that I have in question, as well as the last date they
>were accessed are:
>
>priv1.edb     11/26/2006
>priv1.stm     11/26/2006
>priv1.edb_    08/15/2006
>priv1.stm_    11/20/2006
>
>I have already replicated the PF store to the BE server and deleted the
>PF store replica on the FE, so that's not an issue.
>
>So my questions are:
>
>-  Do I really need to move these mailboxes off the FE to the BE
>server?
>-  As the option to move the existing mailboxes from the FE to the BE
>are not showing up, is there another way to move the mailboxes?
>-  Can I go ahead and free up some by deleting these files?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help!
>
>sax

The only one of interest is the RightFax. Are you using Rightfax and
is it actually working?
You need to un-tick it from being an FE, move that mailbox and then
re-tick it to be an FE again.
Then you can dismount and delete the files. The ones with the
underscore are red herrings and you could delete them straight away
although, who was playing on the server to generate those files
anyway?
0
mark7219 (5667)
12/14/2006 9:45:22 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Mark!

This used to be the only E2K3 box in the company, and I made it into a
FE, and moved all the mailboxes, except these four (don't know why I
didn't move these) to a new BE server that I created.  This is the
reason that these .stm_ and .edb_ files are still there.

To answer your question, yes we use RightFax and it is working!

I think I am going to delete the files with the underscore, then wait
until the weekend to untick the FE box, move all remaining mailboxes,
save the RightFax mailbox, retick the FE box, and be done with it as I
believe this will accomplish what I need it to.

If you have additional 'gotchas' I should look out for, please let me
know.

Thanks again for your time!

sax

0
saxophobe1 (13)
12/14/2006 9:58:18 PM
On 14 Dec 2006 13:58:18 -0800, "saxophobe" <saxophobe@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the quick reply Mark!
>
>This used to be the only E2K3 box in the company, and I made it into a
>FE, and moved all the mailboxes, except these four (don't know why I
>didn't move these) to a new BE server that I created.  This is the
>reason that these .stm_ and .edb_ files are still there.
>
>To answer your question, yes we use RightFax and it is working!
>
>I think I am going to delete the files with the underscore, then wait
>until the weekend to untick the FE box, move all remaining mailboxes,
>save the RightFax mailbox, retick the FE box, and be done with it as I
>believe this will accomplish what I need it to.
>
>If you have additional 'gotchas' I should look out for, please let me
>know.
>
>Thanks again for your time!
>
>sax
You will only be able to move the fax mailbox. The other three don't
actually exist as mailboxes or are specific to the store. Don't worry
about the other ones. Focus on the fax connector and make sure all is
well there.
You might do well to check with the fax support forums to make sure
that you can move the mailbox and still ensure everything works.
0
mark7219 (5667)

Cannot delete subreport

Files not visible in Windows Explorer
Hi folks, My colleague is using Publisher 2000 and while she can find all the Publisher files she created with P2000 when she goes to 'File>Open' from Publisher, most of these files cannot be found within the same directory in Windows Explorer. Can someone explain what is happening that the files go missing in the WE environment? She is using Windows NT (2000?), Publisher 2000, and an IBM Thinkpad A series. Thanks. Saved files will go into a designated folder you assigned in tools, options. Publisher doesn't arbitrarily place files. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://offic...

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

How to force the compiler to always re-compile a given source file?
Hi, I realise that this is not a MFC related question but this groups is the one that I most often read (and like) so here it is... Is there a way to force VS2005 compiler to always re-compile a given C++ file regardless of if it has changed or not since the last compile? That is, I'd like the file to be compiled everytime I run the build/rebuild. I could, I guess, delete the associated obj file after each build (e.g. using post build event) but this would trigger build every time I try to run/debug the app from within IDE. I know that I'm trying to break basic rules of nmake...

editing RWZ files
Does anyone know if it is possible to directly edit RWZ files in OL2K? In particular, I would like to add a series of banned subject lines to my "Junk Subjects" rule without having to add each one individually. Nope, not possible. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Coby King" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2a1a01c49d50$8f6f3130$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if it is possible to dire...

Rule for Deleted Items

Not quite there with file sharing
I'm able to see and change my calendar and contact files in my shared docs folder from both my laptop and desktop, using the info in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;294759 However, I can't seem to save a local copy on my laptop. When the desktop, which is where the shared docs folder is located, is turned off, I lose all access to my calendar and contacts. Any help will be greatly appreciated. ...

password protected backup files
After installing Windows XPs sp2, my Microsoft Money became corrupted. I uninstalled then reinstalled it. The problem now is that when I try to restore a backup, it keeps asking for a password. I have never password protected it. How can I restore my backup without having to start from scratch? Thank you for your help. maritimegal In microsoft.public.money, maritimegal wrote: >After installing Windows XPs sp2, my Microsoft Money >became corrupted. I uninstalled then reinstalled it. The >problem now is that when I try to restore a backup, it >keeps asking for a password....

compacting priv.edb
I've got a gateway mail server running Exchange 5.5, used primarily for virus scanning and spam filtering. It has a few mailboxes, most of which are unused. Under mailbox resources, it's showing maybe half a gig of space being used. The information store, however, is almost 15 GB in size, and I'm trying to reduce it. Circular logging is enabled, since we don't really care if we lose anything (it's a gateway). A week ago, I stopped all the services and ran eseutil, as described in KB 192185. At the time, the IS was over 16.5 GB. Afterwards, it was down to 14.5 GB. That'...

File History Limitation
Other Office apps can hold up to 9 the most recent files worked on. How can I change Excel to show a history of more than 4 documents? Bill Tools/Options/General, enter "9" in the Recently used file list inputbox. In article <4628d984$0$1418$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, "Bill Haskell" <bhask@roadrunner.com> wrote: > Other Office apps can hold up to 9 the most recent files worked on. How can > I change Excel to show a history of more than 4 documents? Tools|Options|General tab change the Recently used file list number to 9. Bill Haskell wrote:...

Question about Exch2k3 SP2 75gb data store limits
I am about to roll out Exchange 2003 SP2 in a fresh environment, and was curious about what the 75GB limits on the databases encompasses. Since Exchange 2003 Standard supports up to four databases, does this mean I can have four individual 75 GB databases running under Exchange 2003 Standard, or does it mean the total of all four databases can't exceed 75 GB, therefore requiring Exchange 2003 Enterprise? Not sure where you obtained that information from - Exchange Server 2003 Standard does not support 4 databases. You can have 2 - one Mailbox Store and one Public Folder Store. ht...

2006 backup file to money essentials
I just download micro money essentials to my new computer, i tried to use my back up file from my money 2006 on my laptop, it is not working it says it does not use files from previous versions. help In microsoft.public.money, dennisddjj wrote: >I just download micro money essentials to my new computer, i tried to use my >back up file from my money 2006 on my laptop, it is not working it says it >does not use files from previous versions. help If you did not start with the trial, return Essentials. Install the Money Plus Deluxe trial expecting to buy 60 days later. ...

auto filing in public folder
Hi all exchange professionals, I'm using exchange 2003 + outlook 2003. I have created a public folder such as "Outgoing mail" to store all outgoing email. I want to know whether there is method in exchange or third party software can create rules that it can auto filing those email. I mean it can scan the outgoing email address e.g. abc@xyz.com. then automically create a folder under "Outgoing mail" named "xyz.com" and move the mail to that folder. Next time, when there is mail to xyz.com, it will move it to "xyz.com" folder automically. If i...

File conversion #2
I have been using Excel for Mac. I have now reverted to Windows and although I'm able to work and save the file I'm prompted with a 'File conversion in Progress'. How can I stop this message and still use the file? TIA - Dave "Dasco" <cadasco@SUPERhotmail.com> wrote in message news:6dotv5F3m1sbU1@mid.individual.net... >I have been using Excel for Mac. I have now reverted to Windows and >although I'm able to work and save the file I'm prompted with a 'File >conversion in Progress'. How can I stop this message and still use the ...

Delete macros

Go to the begining of the txt file after using getline()
Go to the begining of the txt file after using getline() I use fstream, open() and getline() to take a whole line from the text file. I would like to know how I can set the value of the file pointer to the beginning of the file without closing (with close() ) to start using getline() again. I need to do it many times and I think that making that without closing and reopening file thousands times will save much time. Could you advise me. Alur fseek(fileptr,0,SEEK_SET); AliR. "Alur" <Alur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD7B7AFF-6057-4C37-955A-CADA73781B3...

opening multiple files #4
Excel will not open multiple files. You need to describe the scenario as Excel ordinarily will open multiple files. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Importing a CSV file
I want to import a file into physical inventory. Here is what I do: 1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters) 2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into a ..CSV file 3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel Entry 4) I import the file...it works just fine!!! BUT If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same format Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG??? -- Thank You Vince :) The problem might be the Item Lookup Codes are being modified by ...

How do I unrestrict access to files Information Rights Mgmnt?
Yesterday I was working on an excel spreadsheet and could not do "print preview" without being questioned about Information rights Management in MS Office 2003. I could not get past this so I went ahead and set up a couple email addresses of people who could access this file. Now the software will not properly authorize my opening this file as it cannot verify my email address. I do not know how to unrestrict the file so that I can continue working on it. ...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

How to delete chart