Defraging the mailboxes

Can someone tell me the correct way to defrag a 5.5's information store /
mailbox's

Rgds

Exchange will conduct its own internal defrag run. Look
for event id 1221 on both the private and public stores
(you will have several events, one for the priv and about
4 for the pub)
They will tell you how much free space is in the stores.
If the percentage (which you will work out as it only
gives MB space)is in single to late twenties then no need
to defrag. If you perhaps are into the 30% free space
area then an offline defrag (MIGHT) be warranted. The
switches are here:
us;317014
Just do the /d, don't get involved in any others.

0
mark7219 (5666)

One mailbox for multiple accounts
Hello, I’m in the process of migrating our staff from an NT environment using Exchange 5.5 to a Windows 2003 environment using Exchange 2003. On the old environment, I had 2 accounts; a non-privileged account and a privileged account. I configured my mailbox in such a way that both accounts had the user role. Anyone that shared their mailbox with me (the mailbox) was accessible when logged in with either account. Now that I’m on the Windows 2003 environment using Exchange 2003, I’m having some difficulty configuring the mailbox to work the same way. My non-privileged account has ...

Exchange 2003 Offline Defrag
Hi, Wondered if someone could confirm exactly how much space is require on the hard drive to perform an offline defrag of the private database. I'm told it's 110% of the combined size of the priv1.edb and priv1.stm files? If this is the case I'm going to be cutting it pretty fine on our server and wondered I go ahead and run it will it simply error at the begining that there's not enough space? I don't want to start it, wait for hours and then get a message saying failed..... TIA Rick On Wed, 4 May 2005 16:26:04 +0100, "rp" <rpurse#hotmailrubbis...

Mailbox removal
Hello, How do I remove mailboxes that no longer have an AD account associated with them? I am using exchange 2003. Thank you in advance. do they show up in the ESM with little red "x"s on them? if so, you can right-click them, and select "purge"... "Frank" <rank@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:O1n7TOgCFHA.1836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > How do I remove mailboxes that no longer have an AD account associated with > them? I am using exchange 2003. Thank you in advance. > > I have the same problem, and yes it has the &qu...

mailbox files
Hi All, I am using outlook 2003. I updated it from outlook 2000. I noticed on my hard drive that there are several mailbox.pst files. Are these leftovers from outlook 2000? Can I delete them if outlook 2003 doesn't need them? Thanks for any help. -- Regards, Gary Metzler send to: gmtravel@bellsouth.net http://www.outtasighttravel.com Msn messenger: gmetzler1150@hotmail.com Skype name: garymetz Only if you have made sure your current Outlook profile isn't using any of them. -- Russ Valentine "Gary Metzler" <gmtravel@bellsouth.net> wrote in message n...

How do I increase my mailbox quota
My system bounces emails with large attachments. I need to be able to receive them. How can I set my outlook express to do this? first, ask in an outlook express group. second, ask your isp or network admin, i don't know of a size limit in oe, but someone in an oe group would know for sure. "Sig" <Sig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0391322D-B10D-4F24-8365-EA4AAB123CA1@microsoft.com... > My system bounces emails with large attachments. I need to be able to > receive them. How can I set my outlook express to do this? You can't change thi...

Change default owner of mailboxes
Hello, when a mailbox is newly created in Exchange 2000, the creator of the mailbox mailbox is automatically made the owner of the respective mailbox, if he/she is not member of the domain admins group. Is there any way to define a default owner for mailboxes regardless of who created the mailboxes? I would like to prevent those persons from being able to manipulate the default permissions of mailboxes, what seems to be impossible, as even an explicit deny does not prevent them from doing so... Thanks in advance for the help. Markus ?? When you create a mailbox in E2K, you are creating att...

how to migrate distribution group mailboxes?
I am looking to remove exchange server 2000 from a server because we migrated to exchange 2003 on another server. The user mailboxes have been moved and users have been getting mail for sometime now with no problems. When I went to uninstall Exchange server 2000, I was told that I could not because there were still mailboxes in use on that server. I did an AD search for mail recipeints and saw that a number of distribution groups with e-mail addresses came up. They did not have mail boxes in stores that I could see. Also, When I right click and then click on exchange tasks, moving t...

If i would loose a users mailbox
Hi all I hav exc2003 and outlook 2003 and was browsing through the System Manager and notice the option Mailbox Recovery Centre.I was just curios to find out should i loose a users mailbox how can i recover it.If i click on Mailbox Recovery Centre there is nothing under it but if i right click i can add a mailbox store.So i add the store here, for in case i find myself in a scenario when i loose a mailbox, to recover it or is there any other (easier) options when i need to recover mail - Does the above process stay the same when loosing some of a users mail but NOT the whole mailbox. t...

Mailbox rule not being enforced
I have one user who is over the mailbox size limit. Exchange is not recognizing that her limit has been exceeded, and continues to allow her to send and receive mail. She is the only one in this mailbox store that is having this issue. Any ideas? On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:09:11 -0700, "higginst" <higginst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have one user who is over the mailbox size limit. Exchange is not >recognizing that her limit has been exceeded, and continues to allow her to >send and receive mail. She is the only one in this mailbox store that is >havin...

Error creating Exchange mailbox
Hello All, Some weird problem... Exchange 2003 SP1. Existing AD account. I create Exchange mailbox for this user. It reports success, I can see new tabs in user properties in ADUC. However... E-mail addresses tab is never populated with addresses, even after I run update for RUS. If I try to send e-mail to this user, I receive an NDR with "The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address. #5.1.1" error. If I create a fresh new account in the same OU, and c...

mailbox permissions...
We have an SBS 2000 server running exchange 2000. When I go into AD users and computers exchange mailbox security poperties, I am unable to change some settings because they are being inherited. Where is the parent that they are being inherited from? This particular user is located in an OU that was created to house terminal server users. Help! Thanks, Brad It could be the server, administrative group or organization. You can use ADSI Edit in the Configuration space to examine permissions on each object, but be sure you know what you're doing before you change...

Damaged Mailbox stops IS
We have a damaged mailbox on Exchange 2000 database. If we try to delete them using the maintenance the is stops. Now we have reconnected the mailbox to a service account. The problem seems to be corrupted folder who shows to itself so taht it seems thousends of nested folders: tmp\Klara Mail\2003\Klara Mail\2003\Klara Mail\2003\Klara Mail\2003\... In the mailbox is no "deleted itmes" folder. We try to rebuild him using outlook /resetfolders. But it dosn't work. We try to delete this folder using mdbvu32 - no chance. Did anybody have an idea to solve the problem without del...

New User not getting email/mailbox
Hello, Having a MAJOR ISSUE here!! When I create a new user in AD, and select an option to make an exchange box, it does not work! It has the Exchange Attrib tabs, but the email address is blank, and under Email Address' tab, these is no X.400 or SMTP (should be both) address listed. If I try to logon to OWA, I get HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized This is different than logging on with a bad user/password, witch makes it say Access is Denied. I know the mailbox wont appear until first logon, but I cant logon, and they don't show up in the GAL. Have tried a rebuild & update now ...

Export mailbox Ex5.5 resources to csv programmatically
Hello, Is there a way to export the mailbox resources from Ex 5.5 (information store, not "directory") to a csv using a script or command line tool? I saw a way to do this manually using the save windows settings in the file menu of exchadmin, but i'd like to automate it. thanks martin You want to export mailbox contents to csv? Are you sure? -- Blog "subject: exchange" http://spaces.msn.com/members/ehlo/ "paisher" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07a201c50ec7$9907e780$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is t...

delete and recreated user. Recover origial mailbox
Exchange 2003 I created a new user "Joe Bloggs" logon name "jo" and associated mailbox in active directory. I used it during the day receiving and sending email. The same day I deleted Joe Bloggs from active directory, marking the asociated mailbox for deletion. I created a "NEW" Jo Bloggs with the same logon as above(which I beleive exchange uses to name the new user mailbox) Is it possible to recover the original Joe Bloggs mailbox or somehow merge it into the new Joe Bloggs.? Note that I now have two mailboxes with the same name in our Storage group....

Recovery of Mailboxes Exchange 2003 SP1
I have Standard Edition of Exchange 2003 SP1 running on Windows 2000 Server SP4, which has had a new install of Exchange and Windows Server. I have a backup of the mailstore which has been restored to the Recovery Storage Group. However I cannot merge the old mailboxes with the present ones - I get error 1041 "The attempt to login to the server failed. the mapi provider failed." when merging from the System Manager console. I have tried Exmerge but this cannot read the user information and display the mailboxes. The users are the same in AD, except the mailboxes have been rec...

Open mailboxes at night
We discovered by user count in Performance monitor, that 25 users stay connected at the exchangeserver during the night. Is there any way we can see which users keep theirs mailboxes open? On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:20:01 -0700, Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We discovered by user count in Performance monitor, that 25 users stay >connected at the exchangeserver during the night. >Is there any way we can see which users keep theirs mailboxes open? Logons in ESM. Why the concern? exmon. "Els" <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

Permissions for not allowing users to delete items out of generic mailboxes created for a department...
Hey everyone, Quick question that i'm stumbiling over. I have a manager who wants his group of employees to be able to edit emails within the generic mailbox that we created for their department. However the one thing they DO NOT want certain people to be able to do is delete emails that have come into these boxes. Any ideas on how to put this in place -- I have full access to my ms exchange server however when i attempted to give the groups that i assigned these guys to, and denied them access to Deleting Storage that did not work. Thanks - any ideas would be appriciated...

Delete Exch 5.5 Mailbox Script
Hi, I'm am looking for a script that deletes user mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 Server.. I am faced with a huge cleanup of of 2500 mailboxes that I have to get rid of.. I am not scripting expert but I have haerd of ways to create a mailbox, but how does one delete it. Basically what I want the script to do is.. Connect to Exchange 5.5 Server check text or csv file for list of user mailboxes to be deleted and then delete them. Help appreciated.. In the last exciting episode, "Sean N" <seann@games-workshop.co.uk> wrote: >Hi, > >I'm am looking for a sc...

Setup Exchange mailbox auto reply only for weekends?
Hey all...I just got a request form a user that wants to take our support email account and set it up to auto-reply only on weekends to customers who email support (similar to Out of Office function) as no one is looking at it at that time. Is this possible? Thanks in advance. None I know of without a third party tool. Chris <obrienjf@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1170797530.092426.76130@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hey all...I just got a request form a user that wants to take our > support email account and set it up to auto-reply only on weekends to > customers w...

Unable to logon to mailbox as administrator even after granting service account access
The reason I'm trying to do this is because I want to use EXMERGE to extract some mail. After reviewing the EXMERGE.LOG file, I notice that it must be permissions related so I went through the process of granting the Administrator account service access at the organizational level as well as removing explicit deny to Send As and Receive As to other groups this account is part of. I've even set explicit permissions on the Mailbox store. If I try to access the mailboxes via OWA I gut the logon prompt and after 3 attempts get an "Unauthorized" message; consistent with the EXM...

Mailbox Manager Report #3
I have setup our mailbox manager to report on the deletion of all Appointments and Tasks older than one year on our Exchange 2003 SP2 server running on Windows Server 2003 SP1. The report that is generated states the following... "Size of messages that would be moved or deleted: 4686570.47 MB" The entire private Exchange store is only 36GB so how could this possibly be correct? Hi Dan, This is "expected" behavior. The Mailbox manager operates on a MAPI level and is not able to determine anything about single instancing within the store. So it basically adds up...

searching emails in whole mailbox
Hi, My Outlook is just upgraded to Outlook 2007. It drives me crazy. In Outlook 2003, if I want to search an email in the whole mailbox, I will go to Advanced search and browse to the mailbox and it looks for the email everywhere. But in Outlook 2007, I did the same thing, it finds nothing. I have to check the folder to search. The problem is if I know the email is in which folder, why I need search? That doesn't make any sense at all. Please help! I need to search an email in the all folders, in the whole email account. How can I do it? Thanks in advance! Lisa ...

Exchange 2000
Hello, Does anybody know of search tool that can perform the following: 1. Search the Mailbox store directly, i.e., M: 2. We are interesting in search for From, To, Subject and Body and if possible attachment contents. 3. We would like to do one pass on the information store so we wish to be able to build a multiople search query, i.e., a) Search for "John" b) Search for person@domain.com c) Search for "HELLO" d) etc... 4. We would like to then be able to copy our findings to a folder or something.... It seems that the built in searchin...

Creating a List of Individuals who can exclusively mail a mailbox
Am using Outlook Express and want to know how I can block ALL messages sent to my e-mail address APART from those e- mail addresses that I actually WANT to receive messages from through the mail filter facility. I can block individual spam mail but I have a list of addresses which I regard as safe senders and I want to block everything else OUT !!! Thanks Helmut Heib <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Am using Outlook Express Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...