defragging exchange2003 server using diskeeper 10

Im thinking of using diskeeper 10 to defrag our exchange server computer
which is on 2003 server SP1. Is this a safe program to use ?
Is it best to shutdown the exchange services first before doing and online
defrag to allow the software to "defrag" the exchange stores. ? or just use
diskkeepers boot time defrag option ?

thanks for any responses
0
JasonBlake (30)

First few lines should answer your question about disk defrags on Exchange
servers.

For production deployments, I would make sure the vendor (Diskeeper)
explicitly states compatibility - a quick search on their web site did not
return anything.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Jason Blake" <JasonBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im thinking of using diskeeper 10 to defrag our exchange server computer
> which is on 2003 server SP1. Is this a safe program to use ?
> Is it best to shutdown the exchange services first before doing and online
> defrag to allow the software to "defrag" the exchange stores. ? or just
> use
> diskkeepers boot time defrag option ?
>
> thanks for any responses

0
bharatsuneja1 (3147)
2/21/2006 3:35:54 PM
Is there a reason you feel defragging with diskeeper will benefit your
server?

Exchange does it's own online defragmentation on a nightly basis.

Bottom line:  I have never seen a benefit to using a file-level defragmenter
on Exchange.  You definitely won't be able to run it while Exchange is
online (the databases will be open files and will not be able to be locked
by the defragmenter).  That by itself would deter me from using such a
program - all you buy yourself is Exchange downtime.  While I suspect that
running such a program shouldn't hurt Exchange, I'd still shy away from it.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Jason Blake" <JasonBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im thinking of using diskeeper 10 to defrag our exchange server computer
> which is on 2003 server SP1. Is this a safe program to use ?
> Is it best to shutdown the exchange services first before doing and online
> defrag to allow the software to "defrag" the exchange stores. ? or just
> use
> diskkeepers boot time defrag option ?
>
> thanks for any responses

0
Ben
2/21/2006 3:41:00 PM
first few lines of what bharat ?

"Bharat Suneja" wrote:

> First few lines should answer your question about disk defrags on Exchange
> servers.
>
> For production deployments, I would make sure the vendor (Diskeeper)
> explicitly states compatibility - a quick search on their web site did not
> return anything.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>

> "Jason Blake" <JasonBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Im thinking of using diskeeper 10 to defrag our exchange server computer
> > which is on 2003 server SP1. Is this a safe program to use ?
> > Is it best to shutdown the exchange services first before doing and online
> > defrag to allow the software to "defrag" the exchange stores. ? or just
> > use
> > diskkeepers boot time defrag option ?
> >
> > thanks for any responses

0
JasonBlake (30)
2/21/2006 3:45:27 PM
Sorry, forgot to paste the link.... pasted inline.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/tips/defragmentation.asp

> For production deployments, I would make sure the vendor (Diskeeper)
> explicitly states compatibility - a quick search on their web site did not
> return anything.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>

> "Jason Blake" <JasonBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Im thinking of using diskeeper 10 to defrag our exchange server computer
>> which is on 2003 server SP1. Is this a safe program to use ?
>> Is it best to shutdown the exchange services first before doing and
>> online
>> defrag to allow the software to "defrag" the exchange stores. ? or just
>> use
>> diskkeepers boot time defrag option ?
>>
>> thanks for any responses

0
bharatsuneja1 (3147)
2/21/2006 3:45:49 PM
I had inquired about the same issue form our Executive Software sales rep
and was told that Diskeeper will automatically exclude any SQL or Exchange
database files from defrag when the services are turned on.  I can't say if
you will see a benefit to system performance or not, but the short answer is
that it is supposed to be safe to run on an Exchange server, but it won't
defrag the DB.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:ODTm40vNGHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Is there a reason you feel defragging with diskeeper will benefit your
> server?
>
> Exchange does it's own online defragmentation on a nightly basis.
>
> Bottom line:  I have never seen a benefit to using a file-level
> defragmenter on Exchange.  You definitely won't be able to run it while
> Exchange is online (the databases will be open files and will not be able
> to be locked by the defragmenter).  That by itself would deter me from
> using such a program - all you buy yourself is Exchange downtime.  While I
> suspect that running such a program shouldn't hurt Exchange, I'd still shy
> away from it.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Jason Blake" <JasonBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Im thinking of using diskeeper 10 to defrag our exchange server computer
>> which is on 2003 server SP1. Is this a safe program to use ?
>> Is it best to shutdown the exchange services first before doing and
>> online
>> defrag to allow the software to "defrag" the exchange stores. ? or just
>> use
>> diskkeepers boot time defrag option ?
>>
>> thanks for any responses

0
ckwagler (28)
2/21/2006 3:55:16 PM
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:55:16 -0600, "william r. riley"
<ckwagler@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I had inquired about the same issue form our Executive Software sales rep
>and was told that Diskeeper will automatically exclude any SQL or Exchange
>database files from defrag when the services are turned on.  I can't say if
>you will see a benefit to system performance or not, but the short answer is
>that it is supposed to be safe to run on an Exchange server, but it won't
>defrag the DB.

I don't see the value.

>"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
>in message news:ODTm40vNGHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Is there a reason you feel defragging with diskeeper will benefit your
>> server?
>>
>> Exchange does it's own online defragmentation on a nightly basis.
>>
>> Bottom line:  I have never seen a benefit to using a file-level
>> defragmenter on Exchange.  You definitely won't be able to run it while
>> Exchange is online (the databases will be open files and will not be able
>> to be locked by the defragmenter).  That by itself would deter me from
>> using such a program - all you buy yourself is Exchange downtime.  While I
>> suspect that running such a program shouldn't hurt Exchange, I'd still shy
>> away from it.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "Jason Blake" <JasonBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Im thinking of using diskeeper 10 to defrag our exchange server computer
>>> which is on 2003 server SP1. Is this a safe program to use ?
>>> Is it best to shutdown the exchange services first before doing and
>>> online
>>> defrag to allow the software to "defrag" the exchange stores. ? or just
>>> use
>>> diskkeepers boot time defrag option ?
>>>
>>> thanks for any responses

0
adavid (8731)
2/21/2006 4:00:03 PM

Take a look at Raxco's Perfect Disk for Exchange.  It defrags the file
system and also uses eseutil to do the rare off-line defrag of the exchange
databases.  In addition Raxco's boot time defragger will get _ALL_ the
metadata on the disk, including the Hyberfile, USNJournal, security files,
etc.  Diskeeper' boot time only defrags the MFT, directories, and the paging
file.  Note that directories can be defragged while on-line, so off-line
defragging of directories isn't an advantage.

Former Diskeeper Server customer
Mike Ober.

"Jason Blake" <JasonBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im thinking of using diskeeper 10 to defrag our exchange server computer
> which is on 2003 server SP1. Is this a safe program to use ?
> Is it best to shutdown the exchange services first before doing and online
> defrag to allow the software to "defrag" the exchange stores. ? or just
use
> diskkeepers boot time defrag option ?
>
> thanks for any responses

0
Michael
2/21/2006 6:38:11 PM
I don't see how this poses any additional benefits over any other defrag
program.

It's wasted money IMHO.  I have never ever had the need to defrag the file
system of an Exchange server, and on that "rare" occassion when eseutil may
need to be run, I'd rather run it myself.  The frequency which eseutil
should need to be run is so rare that money could be much better spent on
other software.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Michael D. Ober" <obermd.@.alum.mit.edu.nospam> wrote in message

> Take a look at Raxco's Perfect Disk for Exchange.  It defrags the file
> system and also uses eseutil to do the rare off-line defrag of the
> exchange
> databases.  In addition Raxco's boot time defragger will get _ALL_ the
> metadata on the disk, including the Hyberfile, USNJournal, security files,
> etc.  Diskeeper' boot time only defrags the MFT, directories, and the
> paging
> file.  Note that directories can be defragged while on-line, so off-line
> defragging of directories isn't an advantage.
>
> Former Diskeeper Server customer
> Mike Ober.
>
> "Jason Blake" <JasonBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Im thinking of using diskeeper 10 to defrag our exchange server computer
>> which is on 2003 server SP1. Is this a safe program to use ?
>> Is it best to shutdown the exchange services first before doing and
>> online
>> defrag to allow the software to "defrag" the exchange stores. ? or just
> use
>> diskkeepers boot time defrag option ?
>>
>> thanks for any responses

0
Ben
2/21/2006 7:24:26 PM
Most exchange admins would stay far far away from something that runs
eseutil automatically (for anything other than verification/info in case of
dismounted stores), imo.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:%23MJexxxNGHA.2668@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I don't see how this poses any additional benefits over any other defrag
>program.
>
> It's wasted money IMHO.  I have never ever had the need to defrag the file
> system of an Exchange server, and on that "rare" occassion when eseutil
> may need to be run, I'd rather run it myself.  The frequency which eseutil
> should need to be run is so rare that money could be much better spent on
> other software.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Michael D. Ober" <obermd.@.alum.mit.edu.nospam> wrote in message
>>
>> Take a look at Raxco's Perfect Disk for Exchange.  It defrags the file
>> system and also uses eseutil to do the rare off-line defrag of the
>> exchange
>> databases.  In addition Raxco's boot time defragger will get _ALL_ the
>> metadata on the disk, including the Hyberfile, USNJournal, security
>> files,
>> etc.  Diskeeper' boot time only defrags the MFT, directories, and the
>> paging
>> file.  Note that directories can be defragged while on-line, so off-line
>> defragging of directories isn't an advantage.
>>
>> Former Diskeeper Server customer
>> Mike Ober.
>>
>> "Jason Blake" <JasonBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Im thinking of using diskeeper 10 to defrag our exchange server computer
>>> which is on 2003 server SP1. Is this a safe program to use ?
>>> Is it best to shutdown the exchange services first before doing and
>>> online
>>> defrag to allow the software to "defrag" the exchange stores. ? or just
>> use
>>> diskkeepers boot time defrag option ?
>>>
>>> thanks for any responses

0
bharatsuneja1 (3147)

Security between access and SQL server
What do you guys use for security between Access and SQL Server when they are not on the same network? Terminal Server? Remote Desktop? Thin Client? mttmwsn wrote: > What do you guys use for security between Access and SQL Server when > they are not on the same network? Terminal Server? Remote Desktop? > Thin Client? If you mean "over the internet" I use HTTP requests or else I don't use Access as the front end. Terminal Server or RDP run over a VPN is a good option for a reasonably low number of users. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as approp...

Re-run Forestprep on Exchange2003?
I'm experiencing a problem with creating Address Books, exactly as outlined in KB875300. The stated solution is to re-run Forestprep. Is there any prep work I need to do for this, and should I expect any problems afterwards? We are a mixed mode 2003 single forest with 3 domains. We have 2 E2K3 and one 5.5 server running. Dan The standard rules apply. Make sure you have a recent backup of AD. Other than that you should not expect any problems. Nue "DanGainey" <DanGainey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B9BFD8F-3B78-434B-ADD4-46BF39A18454@microsof...

Static link problems using VS2005
I am using VS2005 for this. I have written a MFC app that links against my static library A.lib. My A.lib was created with VS2005, and it statically links against libraries B.lib, C.lib and D.lib. My app does NOT reference any symbol in libraries B, C, or D. All references are to symbols in library A. In all cases, the libraries to link against are identified by inserting: #pragma comment (lib, "libraryName.lib") My problem is that when I build my app, it is trying to open B.lib during the link step. This fails because I have not provided a path to B.lib (because I shouldn&#...

merging text without using a formula
I need to be able to merge two colums of text into one column without lossing the information and I'm not allowed to use a formula! This is an assignment and we are allowed to use any resource to find our answer. I hope someone can give me a hand. Thanks April Hey, go to the microsoft helper guy, and enter in "CONCATENATE" that should do it for you! It's not a formula it's a function ;) "April" wrote: > I need to be able to merge two colums of text into one column without lossing > the information and I'm not allowed to use a formula! T...

Backup Exchange Server #3
Hi, I am new to Exchange administration. So please be gentle in reply... Here is the Question: My company currently has 1 exchange server. Recently it went down and we did not have emails for almost 3 days before I could figure out a way to get the database back (considering that there was no backup as it was failing). Now it is all working perfectly well. My boss now wants me to put in a secondary exchange server so that incase the first one fails it should automatically switch over to the second one and there should be no down time. My company is based on revenue from orders coming t...

Linux Server
hi! peepz!.. i want to upload my webpage made in publisher 2003 in my web server redhat <apache>, is it compatible?... i already tried to upload it but it is too slow. :( publiser put some script that even i cant understand... i cant edit it is there someone else what to do?.. please help. thanks A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from toni <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > hi! peepz!.. i want to upload my webpage made in publisher 2003 in my > web server redhat <apache>, is it compatible?... i already tried to > uploa...

Getting msg "Microsoft Office is Already in use"
I've had Office X installed on my iBook G4 for over 2 years now with no problems. A couple days ago I started getting the message "Microsoft Office X cannot start because Microsoft Office is already in use. Microsoft Office is being used by s p." ??!?? Then it closes the application. Why is this happening? Who or what is "s p?" This may be just a coincidence, but the problem first occurred after I installed a new Airport Express. Help! If I recall correctly, there were some issues with this in the early versions of Office X. Make sure that it is up-to-date ...

disk defragment
Who makes a really good disk defragmenter at reasonable cost. I used Vista's. It ran for more than 4 hours and never finished. My used disk space increased from 251 GB to 268 GB. Tom wrote: > Who makes a really good disk defragmenter at reasonable cost. > > I used Vista's. It ran for more than 4 hours and never finished. My > used disk space increased from 251 GB to 268 GB. ================================= It may be worth a try to run Error Checking - (chkdsk)....before you run Defrag. Windows Vista - Check your hard disk for errors (Error Checking ...

To defrag or not to defrag, that is the question
I am curious what other admins do about defragging the Exchange databases. I used to defrag weekly in Exchange 5.5. I did so monthly in Exchange 2003. Reading up on defragging in Exchange 2007 has led me to think I should drop defrags. My databases have reached an equilibrium. Defragging will shrink them back down, but then the databases need to have pages added back which increases the work load. I don't see any point in defragging anymore. I am thinking it is better to just the the empty pages be reused rather than rebuilt. What are other admins doing? What is your take on databa...

Outlook doesnt download from the imap server
I dont get any error at all, it just doesnt include it on the send/receive settings. I have forcefully included it, also done it by itself (hangs). I was exploring options and autoarchive wouldnt display because it said my pst folder was too large. I am not sure this is true but it may have something to do with IMAP settings I am unaware of. My PST folder is 1.82 GB but that, I believe, includes all of my accounts and archived messages, only something like 150ish are in my imap inbox. Please help me. The PST file is definitely too big and needs to be trimmed before anything else is...

MS Project Server Web Logo
How do I change the logo on the MS Project Server home page to my company logo. ...

Drop down list 04-23-10
How do you display drop down list button even if the cell is not selected? You can't. Perhaps you've seen the button created from a AutoFilter ot PivotTable? -- Best Regards, Luke M "DLB" <DLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F248BA68-6874-4712-876D-CF2890DD0BF1@microsoft.com... > How do you display drop down list button even if the cell is not selected? Use a combo box from the Forms toolbar. The drop down arrow is always visible. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "DLB" <DLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Why #NA when using VLOOKUP?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C7C7AD.F7E2E420 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm trying to use VLOOKUP to find lowest value in a small group. The = exact sample is below: A B 1 3.0001 A=20 2 2.9442 B=20 3 2.9610 C=20 4 2.9055 D=20 5 2.9630 E=20 The formula I'm using is =3DVLOOKUP(MIN(A1:A5),A1:B5,1) . I'm trying to = get it to return the lowest cost, from column A. If I take out Row 4, = it wo...

Small Business Server License
My Windows 2003 Small Business Server (run with virtual PC) will not start because the demo license has expired. I was advised by Microsoft to change the date on my computer, start the server, change the license key and start again with correct date. This does not work. Can anyone give me some advice? P�l WM-data Consulting Norway Hi: Has your copy of SBS server been activated? If not, and you have an action apck or MSDN subscription, you might be able to activate the software using your keys... When you click activation it should give you a "Cannot activate" message and gi...

Event id: 474 2 days after offline defrag
Last week my customers exchange 2000 information store dismounted and stopped due to it's size exceeding the max 16gigs. I had to run an offline defrag which lowered the databse to below 16 gigs and it mounted properly. That night the was a good backup. Since then there has not been a good backup - basically because of Event id:474 - a chksum error. I an afraid to restart that server or touch it because all of the email is working - all is OK except it cannot be backed up. We are prepared to order another server and run exmerge to migrate the data - is this the best method - or is...

removed server still showing up
Hi Peoples I removed a server from a our exchange organisation which has one site with multiple servers. The removal was undertaken via the 'remove all' option from the install CD. It all appeared to work ok with exchnage files being remove from the server in question. However, the server still appears as do a couple of associated connectors (specifically cc mail and ms-mail which we dont use anyway). Is there something else I need to do. BTW i assumed i needed to wait for replication but it has been over 24 hrs now. Help much appreciated. j If this is Exchange 5.5.....can ...

Using Arrays With IF functions
Hi all, I am running into a problem. I am trying to sum values in a table using arrays and I get the VALUE error. My formula is something like this. {=SUM((A1:A10=A15)*(B1:B10=B15)*(C1:C10))} The values in A1:A10 and B1:B10 are manually inputted. The C1:C10 are calculated using an IF functions and has some greater than, less than equations within. My goal is to get the A and B columns to equal TRUE and then multiply the C column and the Sum them all together. I think my problem is the C column but not sure. Can this error be cause by the IF function? I even tried making a new table, linki...

Virtualization and Server Consolidation
Hi folks, I'm currently running SBS2003 and four other Server 2003 machines. Most of these servers are 4-5 years old (Non-profit agency), and are in need of replacement. My plan is to purchase new HW and move to SBS2008 and Server 2008 where I can. A friend of mine has been encouraging me to look at virtualization of my environment. I've not done it before, but was looking for advice from those how have in a SBS environment. I haven't looking in the licensing stuff, except to get a couple of quotes on HP and Dell servers - and the Dell rep told me with Server ...

Keeping Default POP3 Virtual Server from Stopping
Exchange Server 2003. Windows Server 2003. I am new to Exchange Server. It appears that for folks outside our LAN to be able to connect a POP3 email account to our server, the Defualt POP3 Virtual Server must be running. I found this in the Exchange System manage under Servers>(Our Server)>Protocols>POP3>Default POP3 Virtual Server. I manually started this virtual server and folks could connect (login) to the POP3 server. When this virtual server is stopped, they cannot login. MY PROBLEM AND QUESTION. It seems that when I reboot the Windows server, that this Default ...

How can I use word wrap in a merged cell in excel 2000?
Hello, We are having difficulty making Excel 2000 use word wrap in a merged cell. The cells are formatted as Text & set to word wrap before the merge. (and are still set as above after the merge) The row is set to Autoheight. Once two cells are merged into one, this autoheight feature no longer works. The text is truncated indicating that it is wrapping to the next line below but I cannot see the text on the second line. Word wrap works as expected in an unmerged cell. That is, the row height automatically adjusts to fit the multiple lines of text without inserting hard returns (Al...

Configuring SQL Server Reporting Services failed during 4.0 upgrade Options
I posted this in CRM Deployment, but now answers so far: Hello All, Had gotten the error message that "Configuring SQL Server Reporting Services failed - the user or group name DOMAIN\User1 is not recognized." during a 3.0 to 4.0 upgrade in TEST environment. I choose ignore and the upgrade ran through. I identified that a former developer had assigned Publisher rights at the home level within SRS. The developers account name has changed since then. Now there are no reports listed when choosing the REPORTS within CRM. There was also the error below in the app log. Any ideas how to p...

GREAT PLAINS 10 OUTPUT OPTIONS
Is there some setup I need to do to get HTML format selection in GP10 to produce a report that is formatted? I am overwhelmed by the volume of paper GP10 is producing and disapppointed the HTML output option does not produce a readable report as it dod in the old DOS version of GP. Due to the fact that I apent all my money on GP10, I have no money left for Adobe or PDFComlete. Any suggestions? If you have FRx then you have a .pdf writer. I think it's called Easy PDF or something, you install it from the pre-requisite selection off of the FRx CD. Then when you print your report p...

online defrag and offline defrag
Hello, If I'm not wrong exchange does online defrag. But why the size of the databases change when I do an offline defrag with eseutil (it doesn't change with online defrag or I don't notice the differences)? thanks ermanu ermanu@hotmail.com wrote: > Hello, > If I'm not wrong exchange does online defrag. > But why the size of the databases change when I do an offline defrag > with eseutil (it doesn't change with online defrag or I don't notice > the differences)? > thanks > ermanu Online defrag creates white space that exchange can use and there...

A better defrag program?
I have been running the built-in XP defrag over and over. My hard disk is only 60% full, but the defrag gives up after doing a little work. The disk is still a compete mess! Are there alternative defrag programs that I could download, that I could trust? TIA, Paul "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message news:OU3WwefeKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have been running the built-in XP defrag over and over. My hard disk is > only 60% full, but the defrag gives up after doing a little work. The > disk > is still a compete mess...

Good design using triple state
My client needs to show a triple state field. It is a field called OID Req'd. The client wants to know three possible (mutually exclusive) conditions: 1. Field never set 2. Field set is Yes 3. Field set to No My initial plan was to use a triple state checkbox. However, that has two drawbacks. 1. Cannot use boolean Yes/No. I need to use a integer. 2. Field never set (Null) shows as a grayed-in box in form, but in datasheet view there is no distinction between a Null value and a No value. Have you come up with a good design solution for this general problem? Also consider was ...