Defrag/Reduce STM File

Can I reduce or defrag the STM File?

We have Exchange 2000 organization.  All the clients use Outlook to access
their mails.  We have some users for whom we have configured to forward
e-mails to their external mail accounts.  We have not enabled OWA.  Then
also, the STM file size has reached around 5GB.

My EDB file has also reached almost 11GB.  I am reducing it by offline defrag.
But, how to defrag STM file?  How can I reduce the size of STM file?

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Denis
0
Denis (38)

On Fri, 26 May 2006 04:51:01 -0700, Denis
<Denis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can I reduce or defrag the STM File?
>
>We have Exchange 2000 organization.  All the clients use Outlook to access
>their mails.  We have some users for whom we have configured to forward
>e-mails to their external mail accounts.  We have not enabled OWA.  Then
>also, the STM file size has reached around 5GB.
>
>My EDB file has also reached almost 11GB.  I am reducing it by offline defrag.
>But, how to defrag STM file?  How can I reduce the size of STM file?

Running an offline defrag with eseutil against the edb file will also
run it against the associated stm file.
How much free space is avail in the Edb file? ( event 1221 in the app
log)

>Thanks in Advance,
>Regards,
>Denis
0
adavid (8731)
5/26/2006 12:00:45 PM
Ensure that the .edb and .stm files are in the same location with the same
name convention.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254132

However, if your database and streaming file are not in the same location or
are not named the same, then the /s option allows you to specify an alternate
location or name for the streaming file.

"Denis" wrote:

> Can I reduce or defrag the STM File?
>
> We have Exchange 2000 organization.  All the clients use Outlook to access
> their mails.  We have some users for whom we have configured to forward
> e-mails to their external mail accounts.  We have not enabled OWA.  Then
> also, the STM file size has reached around 5GB.
>
> My EDB file has also reached almost 11GB.  I am reducing it by offline defrag.
> But, how to defrag STM file?  How can I reduce the size of STM file?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Regards,
> Denis
0
ccran556 (50)

disk defragment
Who makes a really good disk defragmenter at reasonable cost. I used Vista's. It ran for more than 4 hours and never finished. My used disk space increased from 251 GB to 268 GB. Tom wrote: > Who makes a really good disk defragmenter at reasonable cost. > > I used Vista's. It ran for more than 4 hours and never finished. My > used disk space increased from 251 GB to 268 GB. ================================= It may be worth a try to run Error Checking - (chkdsk)....before you run Defrag. Windows Vista - Check your hard disk for errors (Error Checking ...

Writing to a text file formatted as XML
Hi! I have a text file that looks like this: <configuration> <appSettings> <add key="db_server" value="someserver" /> <add key="db_database" value="somedatabase" /> </appSettings> </configuration> Now, I want to check if value for db_server is empty and if it is, I want to write the value. I am trying to use XmlTextWriter and XmlTextReader but being new to XML processing I don't know exactly how to do it. Can anyone help please? Regards, Kumar The easiest way would be to load the document in Xml...

Problem reducing Excel 2007 file size
We have a largish 2007 xlsx from which we deleted large chunks of validation and formatting which were no longer needed. After a save (even a "save as" to a new file), the file size did not change! Any idea of what's going on here or what we could do to reduce the size of the file? Thanks in advance! go to each sheet and check what the last cell is -- perhaps there are some erroneous last cells --delete rows & columns after the "real" last cell. "Intuitive Analyst" <IntuitiveAnalyst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0732AE09-676...

Outlook export to PST file
I am running outlook 2000 with SP3 on Windows XP SP2. I am trying to archive my old email by creating an PST file using the import/export utility within outlook. I am able to run through the wizard ok, but when I click on 'finish' I recieve the pop-up 'Item not found'. This happens no matter how many emails are in the folder. What could the problem be? Regards Paul Roberts. The right way to make a full backup is simply to close Outlook and make = a copy of the existing PST file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http:/...

.DLL file could not be found
The message below is what comes up when I try to open MS Outlook. I have tried numerous patches from Microsoft and have deleted and re-loaded Office on my PC. Have also contacted Dell but they were not able to help me. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The .DLL file for the information service could not be found. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL. Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured. Thanx!!! ...

How do I convert a word file to mpg or pdf?
to convert from 2003 word document to mpg/pdf file mpg is a video format and has nothing to do with Word. PDF is a graphical format for which you will need a third party converter such as Acrobat or one of its lesser clones such as PrimoPDF -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<...

Edit files with no extension
Still trying to figure this one out: I want to edit aspx files that do not have the .aspx extension. Is this possible while still getting the statement completion, text colorization and highlighting in Microsoft Visual Studio Dot Net Enterprise Architect? I wish to use an alternative extension (or no extension at all) and still get text highlighting that you would find for a .aspx extension. I was originally told to edit the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Editors\{8281C572-217 1-45AA-A642-7D8BC1662F1C}\Extensions. I added a new DWORD Value with the title &...

displaying a file
I have problem regarding displaying a file....I have used CFileDialog to create a open dialog but when i cancel it i am getting a dialog.And once i have opened the file....i getting newline charaters as well in the edit box.The formatting is totally gone.However when i display it on to a message box,i getting the exact format.Please help. Jeevan, You don�t say what kind of dialog you get when you cancel, so it is hard to know the problem. Perhaps you have a bug :-) As for formatting, you'll have to either use a control that will do your formatting (such as an editbox with the multilin...

The location of C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKE5\file name
I am trying to find out where Outlook 2002 sets the location "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKE5\" as the default for opening up an attachment in an email. When I have an email with an attachment and I double click it to open it within the email, the attachment opens up in the proper application, but if I try to do a save as it will try to save it to the location mentioned above as a default. We were having some problems opening a specific rtf attachment that was being sent daily and nightly to several recipients. The email attachment had ...

How do I get my Pub 03 file to print 4 postcards per page?
My Pub 03 file printed 4 postcards per page. When I open it in the Publisher that came with Office 2007 it will only print 2 per page. I cannot figure out how to change this. Help!!! LJBYRON wrote: > My Pub 03 file printed 4 postcards per page. When I open it in the > Publisher that came with Office 2007 it will only print 2 per page. > I cannot figure out how to change this. Help!!! ============================= Try the followng steps: Open your post card in Pub 2007... Go to...File / Print Setup... Select...Multiple Copies Per Sheet Select...Landscape / OK Now go to...File...

delete files
I have Outlook 2000. When I delete my deleted emails, where do they go?? Can I totally delete them off my computer through the file manager? Anyone know how? Thanks. Once you delete them they end up in the Deleted Items folder in Outlook. Once you clear them from the Deleted folder, they are gone. >-----Original Message----- >I have Outlook 2000. When I delete my deleted emails, >where do they go?? Can I totally delete them off my >computer through the file manager? Anyone know how? >Thanks. >. > gone unless you have a setting on your account on th...

Junk folder and PST files
We have an antispam system that send all the messages to the user junk folder in the server. In all the machines, we use PST files instead the mails in the server. In Outlook 2000, for example, when there's any mail in the junk folder, it's downloaded to the PST in the Inbox, but, in Outlook 2003 is different: the messages stay in the junk folder in the server. What can I do to download the messages in the junk folder in the server to the junk folder in the PST? We have Exchange 2003 Server. Thanks for all Luis R. wrote: > We have an antispam system that send all the...

An hyperlink to a jpg file in excel opens with IE instead paint
How to change it? This is a question about Windows file associations, not an Excel question, but... this describes the fix: http://www.officearticles.com/misc/files_dont_open_when_double-clicked_in_microsoft_office.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Marcelo" <Marcelo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E454EAC-7C19-4B5F-83E6-7C3EA0537411@microsoft.com... > How to change it? THANKS !!! I'll try it. (I posted another question since I wasn't able to locate this one for about an hour...) "Anne T...

To defrag or not to defrag, that is the question
I am curious what other admins do about defragging the Exchange databases. I used to defrag weekly in Exchange 5.5. I did so monthly in Exchange 2003. Reading up on defragging in Exchange 2007 has led me to think I should drop defrags. My databases have reached an equilibrium. Defragging will shrink them back down, but then the databases need to have pages added back which increases the work load. I don't see any point in defragging anymore. I am thinking it is better to just the the empty pages be reused rather than rebuilt. What are other admins doing? What is your take on databa...

Image quality reduced during video call
When I make video call to a particular contact, my image quality has been reduced badly, I can only see some mosaic of myself. However the contact's image is nice and clear. It only happens between myself and this particular contact. I have no problem with any other contacts. All the images and voice are clear without any major delay. I am running Windows Live Messenger 2009(Build 14.0.8089.726) on Windows 64bit Vista with Service Pack 2 installed. My webcam is Logitech Quickcam S5500. All drivers are up to date. Internet is ADSL2+ broardband. ...

problem upgrading file 2001 to 2002
I transferred a money 2001.mny file from my desktop with windows 98se to my new laptop with windows xp. I loaded money 2002 and am trying to update the file and I keep getting an error saying that money can't locate the file or that the file is "read only" file or I don't have permission to change it or that the disk drive is write protected. I check the files properties and it is not write protected. What gives???? Yes, I still keep getting the same error. "Bob Peel, MVP" <Bob_Peel@kiandra.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:eTME1JlWDHA.1480@tk2msftn...

Personal Folders Storage File
Hi, I'm aware that one can change the location of the file into and from which emails/folders are recieved and read. My question is, can this file be stored remotely? If this was possible, I could locate it on my webspace (I have plenty of room [5Gb]) and setup the location from any computer (so i caould access my eamils from work and home in real time and they would always be up to date). Thanks. Tom. OL2000: Why .pst Files Are Unsupported Over a LAN or WAN Link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297019&Product=ofw2k --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] P...

File opens in another language
When I open a file, it comes up in Greek.The sender created the attachment and it was fine. The sender used Miccrosoft Outlook.Please help Is it in Greek (as in you recognize the Greek language) or is it that the file contains "jibberish"? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Louisq" <Louisq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:841ACB56-EF2E-4D06-B76B-656B959DB761@microsoft.com... > When I open a file, it comes up in Greek.The sender created the attachment >...

Event id: 474 2 days after offline defrag
Last week my customers exchange 2000 information store dismounted and stopped due to it's size exceeding the max 16gigs. I had to run an offline defrag which lowered the databse to below 16 gigs and it mounted properly. That night the was a good backup. Since then there has not been a good backup - basically because of Event id:474 - a chksum error. I an afraid to restart that server or touch it because all of the email is working - all is OK except it cannot be backed up. We are prepared to order another server and run exmerge to migrate the data - is this the best method - or is...

how to write data and string to a text file
I am very new to this. How do you write string and data to a file? For example, I want to write: "I am 28 years old" 28 is a calculated number from a function -- NewGuy10 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- NewGuy100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2793 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47490 Using VBA? Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim FileNum As Long Dim myYears As Long myYears = SomeFunction(DateSerial(2000, 12, 31)) FileNum = FreeFile ...

How can I run an XPath on a very large file?
My program runs out of memory when I do this: string filename = @"large.xml"; XPathDocument doc = new XPathDocument(filename); XPathNavigator nav = doc.CreateNavigator(); XPathNodeIterator iterator = nav.Select("//items/item"); while (iterator.MoveNext()) { .... } I get the same behaviour with other XPathDocument constructors too. Can anyone advise how to do an XPath on an XML stream rather than a document? JerryShea wrote: > My program runs out of memory when I do this: > > string filename = @"large.xml"; > XPathDocument doc = new XPathDoc...

Read only files
I have saved files to a CD and when I now try to update the file, I get the message "Cannot open file on CD Rom, drive is read onl Changing filer name does not wor When I try to uncheck "read only" on properties of a file i get "An error occurred applying attributes to the file How do I save files from "My Documents" to a Cd and avoid "Read ONly"? Most CD's are readonly (not sure how CDRW's fit in). But I'd copy those files to my harddrive. Then use windows explorer and select them. Rightclick on the group, choose properties and turn o...

PDF File Download
I want to offer on my website free downloadable documents that are in PDF format. What is the best way to set up a "Click Here" and the file is downloaded automatically in FP? Thank you and Merry Christmas! Tom Tom wrote: > I want to offer on my website free downloadable documents > that are in PDF format. > > What is the best way to set up a "Click Here" and the > file is downloaded automatically in FP? > > Thank you and Merry Christmas! > > Tom I fail to see what this has to do with Publisher - especially if you're using FrontPage. ...

Editing dbase IV files
Hello, I use Excel XP to open and edit a dBase IV file. I amend and add some rows. Then I save the file, keeping its dbf format. However, when I close and reopen it again, I find that the in-row edits are in order, but no rows are added to the file. (It seems that Excel remembers the original number of rows and saves only those rows) How do I solve this problem? Thanks for your help. Excel keeps track of the rows in your database file in a range name called "Database" You could delete it and excel will figure out what to use. Or you could just change it to point at the new ran...

Need to Reduce the file size
I have an EXcel workbook, 4 worksheets large, that has minimal data in it (it is used as a template). With the minimal data, the workbook is 3.4 meg large. There are no macros in it. Why is it so huge? What can I do to reduce the file size? Hi check: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "KeriMac" <KeriMac@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:289C786E-2B4C-4BE1-A9D8-973D36CD7921@microsoft.com... > I have an EXcel workbook, 4 worksheets large, that has minimal data in it (it > is used as a tem...