Defrag Exchange 2000 Server

Is it safe to run the Windows defrag on a server that is running Exchange
2000? I have read conflicting reports and would like some feedback from this
forum.

Thanks.

I'd advise against it and have never heard of someone recommending it.

Todd

"Rob" <rmfalconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it safe to run the Windows defrag on a server that is running Exchange
> 2000? I have read conflicting reports and would like some feedback from
> this
> forum.
>
> Thanks.

0
tbooher (148)

Exchange Mailbox
Hi all When I setup a new user account on a wndows server 2003 running Exchange 2003, It is not setting up the e-mail items for the new user. Even though i have ticked the box when prompted, to setup the exchange features. The default recipient policy looks ok and has worked fine until a couple of days ago. When I look at the properties of the user account the e-mail address fields are empty, no local domain address, x.400 or external. any help is greatly appreciated Check the Recipient Update Service. Verify the Exchange server and domain controller listed are existing servers. Veri...

Hotfix for Exchange 2000
My company has the Extended Hotfix Support Program, and I was able to download the Exchange Server 2000 DST2007 Hotfix Package. However, there are no instructions on how to install it. Do I patch the OS first? Then do the EX patch? What does the patch do? Do I still need to run the Exchange Calendar Update Tool? Thanks for any help. The Exchange 2000 CDO Patch should do the same thing that 926666 does for Exchange Server 2003 SP2 and 931978 does for Exchange Server 2003 SP1. You would still need to update the OS with the DST 2007 time zone - 914387 shows you how to modify the time zon...

Exchange Service Password
Hi, I need to change the exchange service password on my exchange55 server, my server is a single server member server in a site and there are multiple sites in our organisation. my server is linked to the headoffice server which is also a single member server in its own site in its own domain which is the external IMS server connected to the internet. Would I need to do anything more in addition to changing the password on my Exchange service account and changing the password on all local exchange server services on my member server? Every site in the org uses its own service accou...

MFC and Windows 2000 or Windows XP
I have a programming question concerning compact flash cards and Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Now I have a compact flash card reader attached to my computer and I would like to automate copying files from a network source to the compact flash card, but I was wondering if there is a way after copying the file that I can do in programming to release the card from the computer. That is the way I normally do it now is I click on the card icon in the system tray and then click on the card in order to release it. If I don't I get an error message of some sort. Roger Is there a class cal...

Backup Exchange Server #3
Hi, I am new to Exchange administration. So please be gentle in reply... Here is the Question: My company currently has 1 exchange server. Recently it went down and we did not have emails for almost 3 days before I could figure out a way to get the database back (considering that there was no backup as it was failing). Now it is all working perfectly well. My boss now wants me to put in a secondary exchange server so that incase the first one fails it should automatically switch over to the second one and there should be no down time. My company is based on revenue from orders coming t...

Exchange CRM Router
I'm trying to add the users using the Rule Deployment Wizard, except I get failures for all users. Details of the Failure: User 'xx' cannot be resolved because Active Directory could not be contacted for domain 'abc' Has anyone seem this before?? Any help would great. Thanks Stuart. hi stuart i have the same problem, do you have a dot in your domain name? "StuartM" wrote: > I'm trying to add the users using the Rule Deployment Wizard, except I get > failures for all users. > Details of the Failure: User 'xx' cannot be resolved becau...

disk defragment
Who makes a really good disk defragmenter at reasonable cost. I used Vista's. It ran for more than 4 hours and never finished. My used disk space increased from 251 GB to 268 GB. Tom wrote: > Who makes a really good disk defragmenter at reasonable cost. > > I used Vista's. It ran for more than 4 hours and never finished. My > used disk space increased from 251 GB to 268 GB. ================================= It may be worth a try to run Error Checking - (chkdsk)....before you run Defrag. Windows Vista - Check your hard disk for errors (Error Checking ...

Disabled users in Exchange 2003
received a bounce back message when sendin to disabled users in exchang 2003, is there setting i need to select so that users will not reciev this message. Thank - derob ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.webservertalk.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1058160.htm derobi <derobi.1p19su@mail.webservertalk.com> wrote: >received a bounce back message when sendin to disabled users in exchange >2003, is there setting i need to...

Exchange Admin 5.5 SP4
Hey all quick question: Is there an SP4 for JUST the Exchange Administrator 5.5? I'm installing the Blackberry Enterprise Server and it requires that the Exchange Administrator be installed for it to work. I've installed the Exchange Administrator from the Exchange 5.5 CD but now I'm being told by Blackberry that the Exchange Administrator needs to be patched to SP4 but I can not install the full Exchange 5.5 server on this machine according to the Blackberry docs. When I try to install the SP4 for Exchange 5.5 on this Blackberry server it complains about not having Exchange in...

Installing Visio 2000
I am trying to install Visio 2000 onto my system and am having difficulty with the serial #. My operating system is Windows 2000 Professional. I am trying to enter my serial number and my keyboard will not allow me to use my 5's or 0's ??? This is really strange! Any suggestions? Could it be a compatibility issue with Windows 2000??? Shirley, This newsgroup is for postings regarding the Microsoft CRM product. Try a newsgroup like microsoft.public.visio.installation. And sorry, I can't help you with your problem. The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps visio s...

Custom Toolbar from Excel 2000 to Excel 2003
I've upgraded to a new pc with excel 2003 pre-installed. I was running excel 2000. I saved the custom toolbar file from excel 2000 called excel.xlb onto a diskette for transfer to the new machine. How can I get this toolbar recognised by Excel 2003. Thank you Ben, You should be able to open the XLB file in the same way you'd open an normal workbook. This will cause Excel to create a new XLB file with the appropriate name in the appropriate location. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "...

Multiple domain on Exchange
Hi, I have a domain abc.com and an exchange2000 is configured on this domain and working fine. now i want to add one more domain xyz.com on the same exchange2000 box. I have added xyz.com to UPN so that i can get listing of both the domain in Active Directory Users and Computers. I have created two separate OUs for both the domain. The Problem is this that i have created one user a@abc.com for ABC OU and i want to create a@xyz.com in XYZ OU but it says use already exist . Pls tell me how can i create same user name for different domains. Regards, Abhishek. This is specifically referring to ...

Error when launching Outlook 2000
I am using Outlook 2000 SP-3 on Windows XP Pro. It was running fine for many months but then recently developed a problem during program launch. Upon launch, I get the following error dialog box message from Outlook: "An extension failed to initialize. Can't open file: C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Bursch\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft.... The file may not exist, you may not have permission to open it, or it may be open in another program. Right-click the folder that contains the file, and then click Properties to check your permission for the folder. You ...

outlook2007 and exchange 2003
Hi all, is anyone finding syncing with 2003 problematic ? I find it downloads every so often but it is getting the headers and not the full items until I click on the message (despite get headers then full items being clicked) I had no such problem with the previous version. I really want to use the beta to learn the new features but this is a bit hit and miss at present. David I agree. It does have issues with Exchange 2003. Rules issues especially for me. "David Cleland" <davidjcleland@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O9B%23wqDpGHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl.....

To defrag or not to defrag, that is the question
I am curious what other admins do about defragging the Exchange databases. I used to defrag weekly in Exchange 5.5. I did so monthly in Exchange 2003. Reading up on defragging in Exchange 2007 has led me to think I should drop defrags. My databases have reached an equilibrium. Defragging will shrink them back down, but then the databases need to have pages added back which increases the work load. I don't see any point in defragging anymore. I am thinking it is better to just the the empty pages be reused rather than rebuilt. What are other admins doing? What is your take on databa...

Event id: 474 2 days after offline defrag
Last week my customers exchange 2000 information store dismounted and stopped due to it's size exceeding the max 16gigs. I had to run an offline defrag which lowered the databse to below 16 gigs and it mounted properly. That night the was a good backup. Since then there has not been a good backup - basically because of Event id:474 - a chksum error. I an afraid to restart that server or touch it because all of the email is working - all is OK except it cannot be backed up. We are prepared to order another server and run exmerge to migrate the data - is this the best method - or is...

Small Business Server License
My Windows 2003 Small Business Server (run with virtual PC) will not start because the demo license has expired. I was advised by Microsoft to change the date on my computer, start the server, change the license key and start again with correct date. This does not work. Can anyone give me some advice? P�l WM-data Consulting Norway Hi: Has your copy of SBS server been activated? If not, and you have an action apck or MSDN subscription, you might be able to activate the software using your keys... When you click activation it should give you a "Cannot activate" message and gi...

removed server still showing up
Hi Peoples I removed a server from a our exchange organisation which has one site with multiple servers. The removal was undertaken via the 'remove all' option from the install CD. It all appeared to work ok with exchnage files being remove from the server in question. However, the server still appears as do a couple of associated connectors (specifically cc mail and ms-mail which we dont use anyway). Is there something else I need to do. BTW i assumed i needed to wait for replication but it has been over 24 hrs now. Help much appreciated. j If this is Exchange 5.5.....can ...

Money 2000 #16
Can I import information from excel into Money 2000? I have lost my data but have the information in an excel file. Can I somehow get that data into Money 2000? Thanks Mike See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=?8. "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1505f01c419bf$391e46f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Can I import information from excel into Money 2000? I > have lost my data but have the information in an excel > file. Can I somehow get that data into Money 2000? > > Thanks > Mike http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=8 "Dick ...

Exchange 2003 version
X-No-archive: yes Hi, all. How i get the current version of my Exchange 2003 server installation? (Service pack, hotfixes, etc.) Thanks If you go into Exchange System Manager, and click on the Servers container, you will see the information you are looking for in the right-hand pane, Hotfixes can normally be found in Add/Remove Programs. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Hugo" <bucheta@x-mail.net> wrote in message news:bf294401.0407250924.4a4164df@posting.google.com... > X-No-archive: yes > > Hi, all. > How...

Outlook can't authenticate with Exchange
Hi... I have several Outlook 2000 clients the were coonecting to exchange through MAPI until a few days ago. No they cannot connect... They just keep getting prompted for their usernames and passwords... Any ideas?? Thanks --chris What OS? VPN Remote or on the network? >-----Original Message----- >Hi... I have several Outlook 2000 clients the were >coonecting to exchange through MAPI until a few days ago. >No they cannot connect... They just keep getting prompted >for their usernames and passwords... > >Any ideas?? > >Thanks > >--chris >. >...

Publisher 2000 & web pages & text on bmp's
I have a web site for my software I sell. A couple pages contain BMP pics of a few screens & a couple reports. When I am in the design mode the text on these bmp's is relatively clear but when I PREVIEW the pages with these bmp, the text is almost illegible. I have tried to insert various objects but with NO LUCK. Can anybody offer me some suggestions of what to do? Thanks. DeWayne to auto reply remove the x from my address below dchiasxs1@rogers.com web pages support gif or jpg formats. Pub would convert the bmp to gif which could effect resolution. I recommend you create your im...

online defrag and offline defrag
Hello, If I'm not wrong exchange does online defrag. But why the size of the databases change when I do an offline defrag with eseutil (it doesn't change with online defrag or I don't notice the differences)? thanks ermanu ermanu@hotmail.com wrote: > Hello, > If I'm not wrong exchange does online defrag. > But why the size of the databases change when I do an offline defrag > with eseutil (it doesn't change with online defrag or I don't notice > the differences)? > thanks > ermanu Online defrag creates white space that exchange can use and there...

Exchange no longer available
Courtesy of Katrina, my brother-in-law's job and Exchange server are no more. He knows he has personal folders and contacts on his laptop, but Outlook choles on not connecting to Exchange and won't let him see the local stuff either. How does one tell Outlook not to try to connect to Exchange and instead use the local pst file? It might be easier to create a new profile and then use File Open to access the personal folder file, you create a new profile in Control Panel || Mail <philmcin@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1126736961.961262.92120@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... ...

Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: 5 (1032) That mail is not currently available.
--------------------------- Microsoft Office Outlook --------------------------- Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: 5 (1032) That mail is not currently available. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- Does anyone know why this message box is shown several times during each send and recevie, and if there is a way to stop its being shown ? (2007). I have two imap and two pop accounts activated. I believe but cannot verify that the IMAP server is that hosting imap.aim.com. I have about thirty folders there. Lyle <lylefairfield@aim.com> wrote: >...