DC + GC + Exchange 5.5 sp4

there are a few topics about this "problem" But for my understanding:
We have two W2K sp4 DC's in a single domain. One is Primary the other just
DC. Both are GC's. Last night I updated DC one, had a reboot and some users
who logged in again were unable to open Outlook. I thought the other DC (not
the Primary) should take over cos'they were able to login? Or does it take
more then 15 minutes for exchange to switch?
Is there a way to give exchange 5.5 sp4 a failover to the other DC if one
fails? Or should this be done in DNS?
0
Erwin1 (8)

Is the Exchange server installed on one of the GCs? Is so your
configuration is not supported:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q275127/

What do you mean one is primary?
If you rebooted a DC that users were authenticated to, I would expect
issues such as you describe.

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:33:01 -0800, "Erwin"
<Erwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>there are a few topics about this "problem" But for my understanding:
>We have two W2K sp4 DC's in a single domain. One is Primary the other just
>DC. Both are GC's. Last night I updated DC one, had a reboot and some users
>who logged in again were unable to open Outlook. I thought the other DC (not
>the Primary) should take over cos'they were able to login? Or does it take
>more then 15 minutes for exchange to switch?
>Is there a way to give exchange 5.5 sp4 a failover to the other DC if one
>fails? Or should this be done in DNS?

0
adavid (8731)
3/5/2005 7:11:52 PM
When I started in my current job, I had no Exchange experience at all. We
were using a local tech support firm who had set up the network a year or so
earlier. Once I was familiar with the environment and Exchange 5.5, I began
looking into the setup. I was using a reference on setting up and
maintaining an Exchange 5.5 server. Frankly, these so called "experts" had
done just about everything that was listed as "not recommended" or "do not
do this under any circumstances"... The server was on a DC, circular logging
was implemented, etc...

About a year ago, we wanted to implement a High Availability failover
solution. No one would talk to us as long as the Exchange 5.5 server was on
a DC. Working with the vendor we ended up choosing,  we set up two new DC's
and DCPROMO'd the Exchange server. We worked through the transition problems
and everything seems to be working.

I've read here (and elsewhere) that it might not be a good idea to DCPROMO a
DC to  a member server if it has Exchange installed on it. If that's so,
what are the potential problems? Is there a way to check it out and identify
whether I have a problem or not and fix it? We were planning a migration to
Exchange 2003 this year, but due to unexpected demands, we had to divert the
financing in the budget and it looks like 1Q06 before we can do it.

TIA for you advice....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
message news:bq0k21dup0b90gl405k3c3mh83m9qil5vi@4ax.com...
> Is the Exchange server installed on one of the GCs? Is so your
> configuration is not supported:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q275127/

0
rasilon1 (689)
3/6/2005 9:56:06 AM
"Hank Arnold" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>I've read here (and elsewhere) that it might not be a good idea to DCPROMO a
>DC to  a member server if it has Exchange installed on it.

That's true of Exchange 2000 and 2003. I don't think it matters with
Exchange 5.5 'coz it has its own directory and isn't "AD-aware".

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
richnews (7316)
3/6/2005 6:51:59 PM
Thanks for the reply:
But we have a single domain. In it are two DC's and one Exchange server 5.5
(on a seperate dl 380). One DC has DHCP & DNS & Infrastructure Master. The
other one is the "backup" (Active Directory integrated DNS, GC).
If the first "Primary" (sorry it's a old NT4.0 naming) failed, users who
login again (validated by the other DC, which by the way takes along time)
they cannot use Outlook.
Do I have to restart Exchange services?
This might result in users who are do NOT need to log in again must reboot
and be validated by the other DC. This was my experience: I did not log in
again and was able to use Outlook. People who rebooted and logged in again
were unable to use Outlook.
So: can i "say"to exchange to use -by a failover- to use the other DC??

"Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote:

> Is the Exchange server installed on one of the GCs? Is so your
> configuration is not supported:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q275127/
>
> What do you mean one is primary?
> If you rebooted a DC that users were authenticated to, I would expect
> issues such as you describe.
>

> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:33:01 -0800, "Erwin"
> <Erwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >there are a few topics about this "problem" But for my understanding:
> >We have two W2K sp4 DC's in a single domain. One is Primary the other just
> >DC. Both are GC's. Last night I updated DC one, had a reboot and some users
> >who logged in again were unable to open Outlook. I thought the other DC (not
> >the Primary) should take over cos'they were able to login? Or does it take
> >more then 15 minutes for exchange to switch?
> >Is there a way to give exchange 5.5 sp4 a failover to the other DC if one
> >fails? Or should this be done in DNS?

0
Erwin1 (8)
3/7/2005 7:45:02 AM
Outlook uses DNS to find Exchange sever. Make sure that both DCs are specified
as DNS servers on clients.

Erwin wrote:

> there are a few topics about this "problem" But for my understanding:
> We have two W2K sp4 DC's in a single domain. One is Primary the other just
> DC. Both are GC's. Last night I updated DC one, had a reboot and some users
> who logged in again were unable to open Outlook. I thought the other DC (not
> the Primary) should take over cos'they were able to login? Or does it take
> more then 15 minutes for exchange to switch?
> Is there a way to give exchange 5.5 sp4 a failover to the other DC if one
> fails? Or should this be done in DNS?

0
kpalagin8074 (137)

Outlook 2003 and Exchange #2
Hello All, Everytime I check my mail on my pop3 server I get the following error message, Receiving reported error (0x80042108) outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (pop3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message ... I have exchange server 2003 installed on this machine as well. ...

Exchange 2000 and Unix
Hi, We have a Exchange server which is connected to the internet via which we send/receive e-mail to the external world. We have a couple of Unix boxes (Solaris) which we want setup to connect to the Exchange server for sending e-mails to the Internet. However everytime an e-mail is send we get an error about relaying. Due to security reasons the Exchange admin cannot setup relaying. Is there another way to set this up, say via Exchange connector ? Please let me know. Thanks, Subho The Exchange Admin "could" configure relaying so specific machines can relay messages via yo...

Two DC's acting as Backup DC, how to enable one of them as Primary DC
Hello Everyone, I inherited a network that has two domain controllers acting as backup domain controllers. How can I promote one of them to act as a primary domain controller. I noticed when opening Active Directory Users and Computer > Right clicked on the domain > Operations Masters > RID, PDC, etc. display "Error". Any help or direction is appreciated! Thanks! Hello J. Forti, If i understand you correct, 2 DCs are existing and none of them is listed as FSMO role holder. Please check this with "netdom query fsmo" in a command prompt. If ...

Exchange Deletion Setting
I will appreciate if someone will explain and support with microsoft official document what the Deletion setting is meant to do. Because, i have a troublesome user that claims that setting works this way.He delete a mail in his inbox, it goes to the deleted item bin, after the number of days set, the mail disappers permanently from his deleted bin. Which am contesting it to be NO.That the setting gives the Exchange Admin the ability to recover mails, if the user have mistaken deleted and empty his deleted item bin without restoring backup tapes. My present setting for the deletion setti...

DC or Not DC?
Is there any advantage/disadvantage to promoting my Exchange 2003 box to a DC and GC? There are a lot of reasons to *NOT* promote it. I'm not even sure what will happen if you do. Why do you want to make it a DC? Regards, Hank Arnold K wrote: > Is there any advantage/disadvantage to promoting my Exchange 2003 box to a > DC and GC? > > There is a big disadvantage in that it's not supported. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822179 Also, it really isn't a good idea to install Exchange onto a DC/GC. Just don't do it. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP ...

PLS HELP: Change exchange atributes on multiple users
I would like to change the option "Message restriction - Accept messages - Only from athenticated users" for multiple users on domain. OK, i can change this for one user or group, but how can i the most easly change this for 300 domain users? Dont wanna click one by one :( Tnx! On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:01:25 +0200, Hrc <hmrx@xnet.hr> wrote: >I would like to change the option "Message restriction - Accept >messages - Only from athenticated users" for multiple users on domain. >OK, i can change this for one user or group, but how can i the most >easly change...

Problem moving mailbox between Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000
Hi! I'm trying to move mailbox between Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000 using the MS ADUC. Everything works well - the wizard shows that move operation was successfull but after the move operation I've noticed that moved mailbox exists on source server and destination server. All mail messages are moved to the new server. On the source server the home server property (home-mdb) didn't change. I've tried to follow the XADM: How to Prevent Mail Loss When Move Mailbox Operation Is Unsuccessful. When I change the home-mdb and home-mta properties the account dissapears from the source...

Removing Exchange 2003
Hi, I have moved my mailboxes to a second server, when I try to set the Exchange Server Setup Program to Remove it tells me that One or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server The only mailboxes remaining on my server are SMTP, System Attendant & SystemMailbox. How do I proceed from here. Many Thanks Jack Try this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555147 -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Jack Ryland" <JackRyland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7DCEFEA8-41DE-...

Recipient Update Service unable to see DC?
This morning I created an account and it never formed a mailbox. It seems as though we are now unable to create any new Mailboxes in Exchange. This happens with both new accounts and older ones when I try to create the Mailbox. It says that it was created successfully however at no point it the account able to logon to the mailbox and it does not show up in the mailbox store. I have been looking at how to fix most of the day; everything seems to revolve around the RUS and updating or rebuilding it. I have tried this with no success at this point. I have noticed one thing and it is...

One user with two mailboxes in exchange 2003 after migration
Hello people!! I have a user that on Exchange 5.5 he had a main Mailbox and a Private-Mailbox when this user was migrated and transfered to EXchange 2003 the Private-Mailbox stayed as his main one. In otherwords ... he is using the account with attributes to Private-Mailbox. What can I do for him to have 2 mailboxes again? The main Mailbox user is disabled and ADC put a weird username on it. Help, I don't which way to go about a user having 2 mailboxes to use. Sounds like you need this: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=256862 -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP <noursly@gmail.com> w...

Exchange5.5 sp4 and O.W.A.
Hi to everybody, I'm experiencing such problems in my environment configured as follows: - WinNT4_sp6 domain - Exchange5.5_sp4 on a WinNT4_sp6 server. - OWA installed on a different server with WIN2kServer_sp4. """""MESSAGE_ERROR""""" Event Type: Information Event Source: DrWatson Event Category: None Event ID: 4097 Date: 14/11/2004 Time: 11.14.37 User: N/A Computer: servername Description: The application, inetinfo.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 11/14/2004 @ 11:14:37.046 The exception generated was c0000005...

Colas de exchange saturadas
Hola a todos: No se que puedo tener mal configurado dentro de mi Exchange pero de repente las colas del servidor virtual smpt se llenan de mensajes que nadie, desde dentro de la organzacion ha enviado. Puede alguien desde el exterior utilizr mi server para hacer mailing? Que configuraciones debo revisar para securizar por completo mi server. Gracias Mil Un saludo a todos. "Candela" <xxxxxxxxxxx> escribi� en el mensaje news:OAQKjahuFHA.664@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hola a todos: > > No se que puedo tener mal configurado dentro de mi Exchange pero de repente >...

Topology Errors on Exchange 2003
Every 2-3 weeks, we are seeing topology event errors of the type 2102 ( all DC servers are in use & are not responding), 2103, 2107 ( DS Access failed to obtain an IP address for DS server...) Then , we see event id 2080 ( DS Access has discovered the following servers...). Would Changing to DSAccess static ( instead of default dynamic) DS server detection help ??? On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 07:11:01 -0700, denrus <denrus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Every 2-3 weeks, we are seeing topology event errors of the type 2102 ( all >DC servers are in use & are not respondin...

Communicating between MFC 1.5 & MFC 6.0
Hello all, I have a 16bit app that's been running for years,( it would take to much time & effort to convert to a 32 bit app in case someone's wondering). Every once in awhile this app will encounter problems. However,unless somebody happens to look at the PC it's running on, nobody knows it had a problem. Therefore, I want to modify it to communicate with another 'monitor type'program.The 'monitor type' program would do nothing except set a timer or timers to wait for specific messages from the 16 bit app; if the message doesn't arrive(the 16b...

Using Find in an Exchange Environment
Hello Everybody! A user recently complained that he could only search through his Inbox to find emails that were sent August 2005 and before. Mail that was sent last week couldn't be found. I thought this this might have to do with the full text index that I have on that particular store. Unfortunatly this doesn't not seem to be the case. Any ideas would definitly help out big time! Dust On 18 Jul 2006 13:25:09 -0700, "Dust" <dustin.titus@gmail.com> wrote: >Hello Everybody! > >A user recently complained that he could only search through his Inbox >to fi...

Some messages can't be displayed after .pst import to Exchange 2003 via Outlk 2k
Lot of messages got corrupted after .pst import to Exchange 2003 via Outlook 2000. Messages can't be viewable in any way. The subject is fine but messages can't be displayed and I get an error "Can't open this item. The operation failed" Message(s) displays fine within pst file, only after importing it via Outlook 2000 it can't be displayed. Looks like Exchange 2003 does not recognize certain format of Outlook 2000. Is there anything I can do to fix Exchange 2003. Are trhere any fixes or patches? NEED HELP because some pst messages have been moved to a mailbox...

Exchange & DNS Question
I have 2 domains in our network as follows: domain 1 = adomain.com mail = larry (Exchange 5.5 on W2K server) DC = curly (Windows 2003 server) domain 2= bdomain.com , bdomain.local mail = sleepy (Exchange 2000 on W2K server) DC = grumpy (W2K server) Users from bdomain.com can send emails to adomain.com but emails from adomain.com does not get to bdomain.com. We receive "host unknown" error message. Each domain receives all other emails without any problem. I am able to do forward and reverse DNS lookups of the other domain from each domain. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Re: Extracting Top 5 & Bottom 5 Variance for Revenu/Expendenture & Net Position #2
Hi All, if i had coloumns that had the title Revenue, Expenditure & Ne Position & under neath these Headings a row for each Revenue Expendenture & Net Position called Actuals then Budget then Variance My Question is what i would like is to be able to only have the Top 5 Bottom 5 Variances in all 3 Headings Revenue, Expendenture & Ne Position. How can i achieve this please. Would appreciate all th help. Thank you. Also each time i try to insert an attachment in this lette being excel it comes up as failure, why is thi -- william444 ------------------------------------------...

Distribution Lists in Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003
What is the maximum number of entries you can put in a Distribution list in the global address list. IIRC, the limit on values in multivalued attributes like the "member" attribute was 5000 in Windows 2000 AD, and most likely this has changed with AD 2003. If your Distribution Groups grow to such sizes, it's a better idea to start nesting them. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "sawdust" <michael@mepayne.com> wrote in message news:1143584659.020778.97400@t31g2000cwb.googlegroup...

Which DC do I demote first?
Hi, In our current environment we have DC1 and DC2. DC1 being the 'master' DC. We have successfullly migrated to a new DC (transferred DHCP, AD, FSMO roles and DNS) as follows: DC1 (Win Server 2003) -> migrated to new DC3 (Win Server 2008 R2) We also have DC4 which is the new secondary DC that DC3 will replicate to: DC2 (Win Server 2003) -> will be new DC4 When it comes to demoting the old DCs, which should we demote first?Do we demote DC1 then DC2 or the other way around? Does it matter? Any advice would be much appreciate. Many thanks Mehds Hello Me...

Trying to determine version of exchange installed by file version
Can anyone tell me a file and its extension that shows in the properties what version of exchange is installed. I am trying to find out using SMS how many different versions of exchange are in production, but I have to find an ..exe or .dll that has in its properties the version. Does anyone know what file would show me the installed version? Many Thanks, David Baur http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158530/ has all the build numbers. From what I've found so far, version of store.exe corresponds to the build number. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- &qu...

Other Email Apps with Exchange support
Does anyone know of anything other than Outlook that has full Exchange support? Thanks! On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:16:51 -0700, PCSoothsayer <PCSoothsayer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know of anything other than Outlook that has full Exchange support? > >Thanks! Any IMAP client. Any POP client. What do you define as "full" exchange support? On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:42:43 +0100, "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:16:51 -0700, PCSoothsayer ><PCSoothsayer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >...

Bug with AD and Exchange
Hi, May I make a request to an MVP to report the following bug to Microsoft. Renaming a user account causes outlook to display an incorrect name. That is name <incorrect name>. Using adsi edit to rename the CN value causes major problems....Deleteing the Outlook autocomplete cache does not work and this is not an Outlook problem. Once again I make a plea to an MVP to report this problem to Microsoft. If there is a fix, I haven't been able to find it. Many other people in these newsgroups have the same problem but there is no clear solution! Your help is greatly appreciated. ...

How to connect another DC after primary DC down?
I have three server, first DC for file sharing second DC for print server and last server (not DC) for Exchange server 2003. How can exchange run after first DC down? On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 06:25:02 -0700, "Mesak" <Mesak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have three server, first DC for file sharing second DC for print server and >last server (not DC) for Exchange server 2003. How can exchange run after >first DC down? Sounds like you didn't make the 2nd server a GC. Would that be right? You can make a DC a GC by ticking the box iN ADS&S, NTDS Settings, an...

Exchange 2007 Security
I know by default exchange 2007 uses encryption when it tranfers data between mail servers. does it have a feature that would allow you send an encrypted message to another person outside your company like some 3rd party products. I know you can do digital signatures. Eddie <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know by default exchange 2007 uses encryption when it tranfers data between >mail servers. does it have a feature that would allow you send an encrypted >message to another person outside your company like some 3rd party products. What 3rd-party products? A...