Daylight Savings Time #2

In regards to DST or better yet XDST, in my windows 2003 domain environment I
have the servers and workstations syncing their clock with one of my DCs.
The statement has been presented here that since this is the case we should
not have to worry about clocks being off by one hour.  I do not get the warm
and fuzzy with this statement.  I feel that if it were that easy it would
have been documented as a solution by now.  Maybe they are right and I am
wrong.  Could you give me an explanation why so or why not?  Thanks
0
Andy3691 (18)

- Any clock synching is done based on UMT/GMT and the locale/timezone of
your computer.
- The DST 2007 updates to Windows OS modify the DST rules on computers -
Windows servers and Windows client PCs - so this calculation is accurate for
DST in 2007 (and later) which starts 3 weeks sooner and ends a week later
than 2006 (or earlier).
- If you don't apply the updates, your computer's clock may be synched OK
using UMT/GMT, but because of wrong DST rules in your computer (based on
your locale/timezone), the calculated time will be off by an hour.

--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Andy3691" <Andy3691@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In regards to DST or better yet XDST, in my windows 2003 domain
> environment I
> have the servers and workstations syncing their clock with one of my DCs.
> The statement has been presented here that since this is the case we
> should
> not have to worry about clocks being off by one hour.  I do not get the
> warm
> and fuzzy with this statement.  I feel that if it were that easy it would
> have been documented as a solution by now.  Maybe they are right and I am
> wrong.  Could you give me an explanation why so or why not?  Thanks

0
bharat3597 (1006)
2/22/2007 3:22:23 PM
Thank You very much!

"Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:

> - Any clock synching is done based on UMT/GMT and the locale/timezone of
> your computer.
> - The DST 2007 updates to Windows OS modify the DST rules on computers -
> Windows servers and Windows client PCs - so this calculation is accurate for
> DST in 2007 (and later) which starts 3 weeks sooner and ends a week later
> than 2006 (or earlier).
> - If you don't apply the updates, your computer's clock may be synched OK
> using UMT/GMT, but because of wrong DST rules in your computer (based on
> your locale/timezone), the calculated time will be off by an hour.
>
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MVP - Exchange
> www.zenprise.com
> NEW blog location:
> exchangepedia.com/blog
>

> "Andy3691" <Andy3691@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In regards to DST or better yet XDST, in my windows 2003 domain
> > environment I
> > have the servers and workstations syncing their clock with one of my DCs.
> > The statement has been presented here that since this is the case we
> > should
> > not have to worry about clocks being off by one hour.  I do not get the
> > warm
> > and fuzzy with this statement.  I feel that if it were that easy it would
> > have been documented as a solution by now.  Maybe they are right and I am
> > wrong.  Could you give me an explanation why so or why not?  Thanks

0
Andy3691 (18)

Non working time not diplaying in the "View Resource availability"
Hi , I am facing a weird problem with our PMO. We are using Pro server 2003 along with project professional 2003. We are managing our non-working times through a separate project for every team where each team members fill up their own unplanned activities. The problem is with the tracking the vaction time & displaying it in the web page under resource availability view. We are managing the non-working times through each resources individual calendars e.g. blocking the particular days as non-working time. But when we are trying to analyse the resource availability it is ...

Cannot save personal options in crm 4
I am getting an error message " the text entered exceeds the maximum length" if I try and save any settings in personal options Using CRM 4.0 Anyone else having the same issue ? ...

Can anyone point me to some link to understand basics of templates... #2
Hi, I want to start with templates and if somebody can give me links where i can start with.. I am through with VC++ and other features like ATL even.. but have not used templates anytime.. -- Jigar Mehta ...

Excel date column for working out time differences
I use Excel 2002 and I am trying to use an expression to calculate any entries older than 14 days and then send an email as a reminder. Date is in column1. I have the following code For j = 1 To lastcell If Cells(j, 13) <> "" And Cells(j, 14) = "" And Cells(j, 1).Value > (Now - 14) And Cells(j, 15) = "" Then Dim OutApp As Object Dim OutMail As Object Dim cell As Range Application.ScreenUpdating = False Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") OutApp.Session.Logon On Error GoTo cleanup ...

Quit Word 2008 in Snow Leopard time ?
I've noticed since upgrading to Snow Leopard that when I quit Word 2008 it takes a long time, as it always had, but now the Menu Bar changes so on the "left" end there is just the Apple icon and then a Script icon next to it (where the running application title is normally). Is this normal or should I go on a search for answers to this and perhaps other yet to see problems? Thanks for any tips. -- Norm Hi Norm: What that means is that Word is exiting and clearing its icons from the menu bar, then the system is cleaning up a bit later. The system owns t...

Formatting time: eliminate additional :00
I would like to include a time and date together (not the current one, but from the database). When I use: =([Date]) & ", " & ([Time]) I get: 4/30/2009, 9:15:00 AM How can I get rid of the last :00? =Format([Date] + [Time], "m/d/yyyy \, h:nn") Incidentally, if those are your real field names, change them. Date and TIme are both reserved words, and should never be used for your own purposes. For a comprehensive list of names to avoid (as well as a link to a free utility to check your application for compliance), check what Allen Browne ha...

Hyperlink to folder on Save
Hi I'm losing the link to my folder when I save my worksheet having set it up a hyperlink. I've tried switiching off 'update links on Save' in the Web Options which seems to work OK but when anyone else opens the file form another network PC, the link is lost again when they save the document. Is there anyway I can lock the hyperlink down so the address doesn't get aleter when its saved on other network PCs? Try using the HYPERLINK() function instead =HYPERLINK("file:////c:\filename.xls","Book1") -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "F...

Every time i open a Word document, my toolbars change
is there a way to 'lock' toolbars such that they don't change every time i open a word document (new or existing)? The toolbar positions are stored in the normal template. The usual cause for such changes is that you are using Word as editor for Outlook, which has a different toolbar configuration. The simplest solution of to use Outlook's own perfectly adequate e-mail editor. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Wo...

Filter by Color #2
Our office spreadsheets are very colorful (different color means different things). Is there an easy way I can filter specific column by color? For example, filter by green or yellow. Thanks I have another column that has codes in it that correspond to the colors in the column I want to sort.......sorting on the code column effectively gives me a sort on the colored column..... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Eileen Li" <eileenli68@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:046501c37a6d$05427050$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Our office spreadsheets are very colorful (different > colo...

personal folder size showing different #2
Why is personal folder size showing different in outlook and windows explorer. In outlook personal folder properties, it shows 2706KB but in explorer it shows 2500KB. pls help to advise asap. thanks ...

Why is formatting lost when saving from .xlsx to .xls?
I have EXCEL 2007 but most of the people I work with still have 2003 EXCEL. When I create a file and save it as an .xls (2003) file, it loses all the formating (i.e. currency, percentages, color fill, etc..). If I keep the file in 2007 (.xlsx) formt it is okay, but the users I work with can not view it. How do I get the file to retain the formatting when saved as 2003 version of EXCEL? Probably because Microsoft did not test for this before they released the software. Best thing to do in the long term is to upgrade all your users to 2007 so that you do not run into probl...

Check printing #2
Is there a setting in "selecting checks" that you can set to have all checks over a certain dollar amount pull to the end of the check run? I'm guessing that you are out of luck. The only reference that I have here is a version 7.0 set up for Canada. It appears that the only sort methods are by payment number, name, Province-City, or Postal Code. Exactly the same options are availabe in Mekorma MICR for version 7.0. You might be able to do something with Mekorma's SDK but of course that would require that you purchase their check writing product. Lyle On Wed, 22 Sep 200...

how do I stop clipboard from italicizing when I paste? #2
Bobballuia;701259 Wrote: > I would think that either your document is set to italicize or whatever you copied was already italicized. Have you checked both? -- Dianne ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dianne's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=1755 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=196205 http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz ...

Mail taking long time to display
We have Outlook 2000's at work accessing our Exchange Servers. We have one client that seems to hang up for awhile before getting her mail. If I send her a message from my office to hers, it takes from 10-25 minutes to actually get to her. If I send it to anyone else, it is immediate. If she sends a message to me, it is immediate. What could cause this behavior? There are no viruses on this machine. That was the first thing I checked. Thanks, Tom. Is she in on-line mode? Deselect File-> Work Offline -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month:...

Saving a document
I have OS X 3.2, Office v.X and an iMac. Whenever I try to save a Word or Excel file the save window opens behind the menu and toolbars at the top of the screen. The top portion of the save window, including the field to name the file, is hidden behind the menu and toolbars. I cannot move or resize the save window. Unfortunately this means I can't name my file so I accept the default ("untitled" in Word and "Workbookx" in Excel), save it to my desktop, go to my desktop to rename the file and move it to it's proper location. This is driving me crazy! There must...

Moving Mail #2
One of the clients that I administrate has had a client leave and would like one their remaining clients to have the old clients mailed moved over. They are running Exchange 2003. Thank you. "Kevin Unger" <Kevin Unger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >One of the clients that I administrate has had a client leave and would like >one their remaining clients to have the old clients mailed moved over. They >are running Exchange 2003. Thank you. Either give the new user access to the departed person's mailbox, or move the contents of the mailbox to a PST and giv...

Opening E-Mails saved with OE
My Company recently switched over from Outlook Express to Outlook. Over the past couple of years employees have been saving .eml files in various folders on the file server. Is there any way to convert these files to Outlook format(.msg) so that they can be read and forwarded using Outlook 2000. Thank you, Josh First import them in Outlook Express again and the export them from within OE into Outlook. Note that the eml-files can also be opened in a text-editor like Notepad. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, ...

Unwanted Formula Display #2
I'm using Excel XP, preparing cost estimates. In my summary page, cell references display the name and total of each category, from the associated category page in the document. When I insert a new line for a new category, and "point and shoot" to assign the formula, e.g., ="A425", it displays the formula rather than the cell reference value, e.g., "Carpentry". I've tried formatting the cell as Text and General, copying another cell reference that is displaying correctly, and then editing the formula, and painting the new cell from one that is wor...

Macros on Protected Sheets #2
Hi , Now I have tried Alan's Solution to be able to run my Macros in Protected sheets but as I am not VB literate, I think I have made a Syntax mistake. Sub Newaction() Sheet("Critical Path").Unprotect ("My Password") ' Newaction Macro ' Macro recorded 17/11/2004 by Clifford ' ' Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="=" Sheet("Critical Path").Protect ("My Password") End Sub I receive a message "Compile error" "Sub or function not defined" Can you tell me what's wrong ? Regards ...

[ANN] PLCash 2.0 released
Dear Newsgroup: Version 2.0 of PLCash, a free Java personal finance program, has been released today. It sports many new features including a powerful report generator. Download at http://www.arachnoid.com/PLCash, and please tell me what you think at http://www.arachnoid.com/messages. Thank you. -- Paul Lutus http://www.arachnoid.com ...

Last Synchronization Time
Is there a way of finding out, from the server, when a user last successfully synchronized the Outlook Client (went offline)? Maybe in a log or somewhere in a table? MS CRM 3.0 Thanks, Chris ...

Save on Ink for your printers
http://www.qksrv.net/click-782448-9238830 Price Get OEM printer ink quality at a fraction of the cost. We offer high quality 100% compatible inkjet cartridges for Epson, Canon, Brother, and Xerox printers. Black inkjet cartridges from $3.99, color cartridges from $5.99. We also offer Genuine OEM HP, Canon, Lexmark, Sharp, and Xerox printer ink cartridges and laser toner cartridges at discount prices. If you're looking to save some money, cheap inkjet refill kits are just what you need. Each refill kit comes with 2 full refills. All of our cheap inkjet refill kits are cartridge specific an...

Changing just one cell each time I print
I am using Excel 2000. I need to print one sheet multiple times and change one cell on that sheet each time it prints. Example: I need to print my sheet 50 times, cells J1.J50 contain a list of numbers 001,002,003,123,456 etc. (This column does not print) I need to copy cell J1 into cell A1 - then print my worksheet, Then I need to copy cell J2 into cell A1 and print the worksheet, Then I need to copy cell J3 into cell A1 and print the worksheet You get the idea. Each time I print the worksheet I need a different number in cell A1 because I am using VLOOKUP to fill in cells in the workshe...

excel save hangs
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that hangs when I save it after opening. I have tried the following with no success: 1. save as 2. copy to another directory and save there 3. copy to another PC. I noticed that everytime I save a strange file gets added to the directory and the excel program ends up using 100% cpu. Other spreadsheets do OK. This one is different in that the columns got populated from a database query; but I don't know if that's relevant. Same results on XP and Windows 2000. Ideas anyone? Thanks. Maria Maria, Try changing the data range properties so ...

Outlook Today customize #2
Have Outlook 2000 installed on a laptop running Windows 2000 Pro. Running off a Exchange Server, cannot customize the Outlook Taday. Any suggestions? <wojcik.rey@grr.sysco.com> wrote in message news:028a01c3dec7$b8ecf120$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Have Outlook 2000 installed on a laptop running Windows > 2000 Pro. Running off a Exchange Server, cannot customize > the Outlook Taday. Any suggestions? www.google.com - this must be the MOST frequently-asked question about Outlook 2000. I have the same problem. I'm using Windows XP and Outlook 2000, and am "sharing&q...