Custom Address Lists / Creating an LDAP query in Active Directory Users and Computers

Pardon the cross posting but I have scoured the Exchange and the Windows
newsgroups with no success.

Windows Server 2003 (and XP) has a folder called Saved Queries in Active
Directory Users and Computers.

I want to create custom queries in this container for use both in ADUC and
Exchange for custom Address lists.

There has GOT to be something out there that documents a few generic uses of
creating custom LDAP queries. Where can I find it?

From the simplest goal; I need to select all users in a certain security
group. To the more complicated use for Exchange; All users with Exchange
mailboxes in certain OU and all contact objects in a certain OU.

Please guide me in the right direction to help solve my requirements.

Thank you,

Jon


0
paskettj1 (1)
2/23/2004 4:46:59 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
551 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 57

You can use Filter Rules within a customized GAL in exchange to filter out
the scope by define a security group.

-- 
Regards,

Christoffer Andersson
No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
If the information was help full, you can let me know at:
http://www.itsystem.se/employers.asp?ID=1

"Jon Paskett" <paskettj@email.NOSPAM.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:%23x$hEzi%23DHA.3812@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Pardon the cross posting but I have scoured the Exchange and the Windows
> newsgroups with no success.
>
> Windows Server 2003 (and XP) has a folder called Saved Queries in Active
> Directory Users and Computers.
>
> I want to create custom queries in this container for use both in ADUC and
> Exchange for custom Address lists.
>
> There has GOT to be something out there that documents a few generic uses
of
> creating custom LDAP queries. Where can I find it?
>
> From the simplest goal; I need to select all users in a certain security
> group. To the more complicated use for Exchange; All users with Exchange
> mailboxes in certain OU and all contact objects in a certain OU.
>
> Please guide me in the right direction to help solve my requirements.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jon
>
>


0
2/23/2004 7:14:08 PM
I need to learn the rules for creating these LDAP queries. I know it's an
extremely powerful tool in the hands of the right person that knows how to
manipulate the Active Directory. Where can I gain more information?

TIA

Jon

"Chriss3" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
news:uKHtQFk#DHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> You can use Filter Rules within a customized GAL in exchange to filter out
> the scope by define a security group.
>
> -- 
> Regards,
>
> Christoffer Andersson
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> If the information was help full, you can let me know at:
> http://www.itsystem.se/employers.asp?ID=1
>
> "Jon Paskett" <paskettj@email.NOSPAM.com> skrev i meddelandet
> news:%23x$hEzi%23DHA.3812@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Pardon the cross posting but I have scoured the Exchange and the Windows
> > newsgroups with no success.
> >
> > Windows Server 2003 (and XP) has a folder called Saved Queries in Active
> > Directory Users and Computers.
> >
> > I want to create custom queries in this container for use both in ADUC
and
> > Exchange for custom Address lists.
> >
> > There has GOT to be something out there that documents a few generic
uses
> of
> > creating custom LDAP queries. Where can I find it?
> >
> > From the simplest goal; I need to select all users in a certain security
> > group. To the more complicated use for Exchange; All users with Exchange
> > mailboxes in certain OU and all contact objects in a certain OU.
> >
> > Please guide me in the right direction to help solve my requirements.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Jon
> >
> >
>
>


0
paskettj (3)
2/23/2004 7:58:23 PM
XCLN: How to Use the Outlook LDAP Service to View the Global Address List:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245830

XADM: How to Access the Directory Through LDAP When Search Control is Set
(Exchange)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192306

Can any of theres links be to any help?

-- 
Regards,

Christoffer Andersson
No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
If the information was help full, you can let me know at:
http://www.itsystem.se/employers.asp?ID=1

"Jon" <paskettj@email.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:eeXImdk%23DHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I need to learn the rules for creating these LDAP queries. I know it's an
> extremely powerful tool in the hands of the right person that knows how to
> manipulate the Active Directory. Where can I gain more information?
>
> TIA
>
> Jon
>
> "Chriss3" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> news:uKHtQFk#DHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > You can use Filter Rules within a customized GAL in exchange to filter
out
> > the scope by define a security group.
> >
> > -- 
> > Regards,
> >
> > Christoffer Andersson
> > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> > If the information was help full, you can let me know at:
> > http://www.itsystem.se/employers.asp?ID=1
> >
> > "Jon Paskett" <paskettj@email.NOSPAM.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:%23x$hEzi%23DHA.3812@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > Pardon the cross posting but I have scoured the Exchange and the
Windows
> > > newsgroups with no success.
> > >
> > > Windows Server 2003 (and XP) has a folder called Saved Queries in
Active
> > > Directory Users and Computers.
> > >
> > > I want to create custom queries in this container for use both in ADUC
> and
> > > Exchange for custom Address lists.
> > >
> > > There has GOT to be something out there that documents a few generic
> uses
> > of
> > > creating custom LDAP queries. Where can I find it?
> > >
> > > From the simplest goal; I need to select all users in a certain
security
> > > group. To the more complicated use for Exchange; All users with
Exchange
> > > mailboxes in certain OU and all contact objects in a certain OU.
> > >
> > > Please guide me in the right direction to help solve my requirements.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Jon
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
2/23/2004 8:49:50 PM
Jon wrote:

> I need to learn the rules for creating these LDAP queries. I know it's an
> extremely powerful tool in the hands of the right person that knows how to
> manipulate the Active Directory. Where can I gain more information?

Hi

VBScript programs to document and administer groups in Active Directory:

http://www.rlmueller.net/freecode3.htm


Programs to search Active Directory for objects meeting your criteria:

http://www.rlmueller.net/freecode6.htm



--
torgeir
Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page
Scripting Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter


0
2/23/2004 9:39:14 PM
Hi,

I have some tips for using ADO to search AD at this link:

http://www.rlmueller.net/ADOSearchTips.htm

An LDAP filter for all users that are members of a group could look like
(watch line wrapping):

(&(objCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(memberOf=cn=TestGroup,ou=Sales,dc=M
yGroup,dc=com))

An LDAP filter for contacts would be:

(objectClass=contact)

However, there is no attribute of user objects that indicates the parent OU,
except perhaps the distinguishedName, and my attempts to filter with a
wildcard character (*) in distinguishedName failed. You can only filter on
an exact match of any distinguishedName. This includes values of the
memberOf attribute above. For example, you cannot shorten the filter to:

(&(objCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(memberOf=cn=TestGroup*))

If you are filtering in AD Users & Computers, you can apply any other
filters, then look in the OU of interest. Otherwise, I would suggest a
VBScript program using ADO. You can set the base of the search to the OU of
interest.

I believe the same issue arises if you search for all users with an Exchange
mailbox in an OU.

-- 
Richard
Microsoft MVP Scripting and ADSI
HilltopLab web site - http://www.rlmueller.net
--

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
news:403A7302.4C166803@hydro.com...
> Jon wrote:
>
> > I need to learn the rules for creating these LDAP queries. I know it's
an
> > extremely powerful tool in the hands of the right person that knows how
to
> > manipulate the Active Directory. Where can I gain more information?
>
> Hi
>
> VBScript programs to document and administer groups in Active Directory:
>
> http://www.rlmueller.net/freecode3.htm
>
>
> Programs to search Active Directory for objects meeting your criteria:
>
> http://www.rlmueller.net/freecode6.htm
>
>
>
> --
> torgeir
> Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page
> Scripting Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter
>
>


0
2/24/2004 7:53:54 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

I can't create mailboxes for new users
When I create a New user , i check the box to create a new mail box, and after finish the whole process the system don't create thje mail box. Can anybody help me in this way try sending an email to the new user, then see if the mailbox was created. "jmalonsor@mixmail.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00ff01c3be84$3d784ac0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When I create a New user , i check the box to create a new > mail box, and after finish the whole process the system > don't create thje mail box. > > Can anybody help me in thi...

Custom Entity Relationship CRM 3.0
I have created a new custom entity (A) for which I need to create two referential relationships to other custom entities (B) & (C). (A) is the primary entity in both cases. The relationship between (A) and (B) acts normally. The relationship between (A) and (C) doesn't. When I try to add a (C) record from (A), (A) displays two records in the (C) lookup. One "record" displays data from system fields (created on and status). The second "record" displys data from the primary field. I am not able to access (C) record from the associated view in (A), but I can a...

Adding users to address books
I was hoping to have a user be a member of two separate address books. Does anyone know if this is possible. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you. One user can be the member of multiple address lists as long as the user meets the criteria specified in the filter of each address list. "Rio" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20da101c45a0f$09a4c8a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I was hoping to have a user be a member of two separate > address books. Does anyone know if this is possible. > Any help greatly appreciated. > Thank you. ...

Custom toolbar and macros
I am moving a user from Windows 2000 to XP and he has a worksheet with many custom Macros as well as the custon toolbar with it. We can move the worksheet and the macros will move with it. The problem is moving the custom toolbar with it. How do I get the toolbar to move along with the worksheet. One way: With the custom workbook active, choose Tools/Customize/Toolbars. Click Attach. Attach your custom toolbar to the workbook. In article <F0FC2885-07CB-4706-BC67-DEB7B664BACF@microsoft.com>, "MD" <MD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am moving a user fro...

Exchange addressing and forwarding
Hello, I am running Exchange 2000 server and I have a question about an addressing and forwarding problem. Here is what we want to achieve, -1 external email address for vendors to send requests for information -multiple recipients of the email internally, with everybody being aware that the email was received What kind of rules, or forwarding do I have to setup to achieve this? I have the external email address setup already and I can log on and see that it is receiving email as it is supposed to. It will not be practical to have a dedicated computer setup to run a client side version o...

how do I merge hotmail address book with outlook
I am trying to put my hotmail addresses in my outlook..how do I do this? There is an "Import/Export" wizard..save them as .csv form. You must first export them from hotmail and then import them into Outlook. "Marlane" <Marlane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AD76485-B97C-4F28-8425-9EF2263A5273@microsoft.com... >I am trying to put my hotmail addresses in my outlook..how do I do this? ...

toolbar customization
533 MHz Power PC G4 384 MB SDRAM MAC OS X 10.3.3=20 Office X: Excel 10.1.5 (Service Release 1) When I drag command buttons to Excel's Standard Toolbar I get grayed-out = icons as follows: Hide Detail Show Detail Insert Rows Ironically the following buttons, dragged in precisely the same = fashionto the=20 Standard Toolbar, work satisfactorily: Insert Columns Delete Column Delete Row Any suggestions? Has MS discoveed and repaired these bugs for the May=20 2004 updates? While they're not bugs, they are confusing. You probably dragged the Insert Rows button from the Edit categ...

Can a Vlookup be used when creating a chart
1. Is it possible? 2. where would it be entered? the values line? 1. Probably 2. Not enough detail to provide even a guess. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:23:02 -0800, Confusicous <Confusicous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >1. Is it possible? >2. where would it be entered? the values line? Here is my data: 2010 spreadsheet = Entities = A18:A45 Numbers = N18:N45 2009 spreadsheet= Entities A18:A41 Numbers = N18:N41 The reason I would like to have the Vlookup is because new data was entered in 2010 but if I just enter the ...

Creating a folder
I am saving some files with CFile and CArchive. I am getting an error after I try to Close() my archive. This is the first time I have tried creating a file in a branch/folder that does not exist. Is the error beause of that and how do I create folders?? or what else could it be?? thanks CreateDirectory() "Seth" <seth_king@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:012301c351f7$fa567d50$a101280a@phx.gbl... > > I am saving some files with CFile and CArchive. > I am getting an error after I try to Close() my archive. > This is the first time I have tried creating a file ...

CRM Customization: Display Contact Info on Service Activity Form
We'd like to be able to open a service activity, and display all of the associated contacts' information (name, phone, address) on the same form. We have attempted to use IFRAMEs to load this information, but have so far been unsuccessful in achieving the desired effect. What is the best approach to take here? I am trying to do the same... What I really want is: 1) Service activity calendar view to show the customer name, number and address in the mouseover 2) When a service calendar item is clicked on, I would like the contact name, address and telephone listed in the main fo...

Tracking customer orders when receiving stock
With our current POS system we can place items on order for a particular customer (whether we are holding the stock or not) and when we generate purchase orders the system automatically pops up letting us know we have pending orders for customers. We can then generate a purchase order based on this information. When we receive the stock, we can print out a report for that order that lists what stock needs to be allocated to which customers. Is there a way with RMS that we can do this? Unfortunately it is a regular occurance that our stock levels can be incorrect, for instance we may have a 0 ...

Customize Does not WOrk
When I clip the customize outlook today button, it does not respond. Anyone have an idea of what the problem might be? Posted several times a day here: OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Glenn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05cb01c3cc7b$467a26c0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > When I clip the customize outlook today button, it does > not respond. Anyone have an idea of what the pr...

restrictions in effect on this computer outlook 2007 running vista
I try to open a hyperlink in outlook 2007 and I get a message "restrictions in effect on this computer". I'm running vista ultimate. "Travelling Taff" <Travelling Taff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C86E89C1-14FB-492B-B0F2-9A3E8F95392B@microsoft.com... >I try to open a hyperlink in outlook 2007 and I get a message "restrictions > in effect on this computer". I'm running vista ultimate. A five second Google search of this newsgroup would have found this: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm -- Brian Tillman...

How to display HTML in Custom Task Pane
Does anyone know if it is possible to program a custom task pane in Office 2007 (using VSTO) to display hosted web content (i.e. HTML). How about locally stored HTML? My team is looking at ways of providing modest on-screen assistance to support our custom Add-in that docks nicely within the application and can be coupled with a few controls. If it's not possible, we're stuck using CHM. Thanks in advance. ...

XY Scatter with Custom Labels
I have a list of products, each with an X (a dollar amount) and a value (a percentage). Is it possible to have each point labeled with custom value i.e.: Printer, or Digital Camera, rather than it bein labeled with just the values being plotted ($1,000, 2% or $500, 7%)? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks, Keit -- hatzipe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- hatzipet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2789 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47392 You can edit the text of a labe...

memory limit on the number of sheets created
is there a limit on the number of sheets a macro can create? I notice I have a macro that creates sheets and it works up to sheet 26, after sheet 26 it crashes. I read on line that it is limited due to memory? Is that the ram on each computer ? tia, Hi There is no limit imposed by the macro itself. As you have found, the only limit to the number of sheets, is the available memory (RAM) on the system. In most cases you can go way beyond 26 before hitting memory limits. I would think it is something to do with your code. Post the code, and maybe we can help. -- Regards Roger Govier ...

Change dates to a custom format via formula ... how to?
Hello, A2 has formula =NOW() which makes date today in this format: Tue.Apr.26.2011 How can I get my custom date formats so that the above date shows up as Tu.Apr.26.2011. In another sheet, I was kindly given this to make these types of changes: =IF($A$2<>"",TEXT($A$2,"yymmdd.")&CHOOSE(WEEKDAY($A$2),"Sn","Mn","Tu","Wd","Th","Fr","Sa"),"") I tried this, =NOW()&CHOOSE(WEEKDAY($A$2),"Sn","Mn","Tu","Wd","Th","Fr","Sa&...

How to Customize Business Portal to show custom objects?
Hi, I need to Customize Business Portal to show my custom objects in "Primary Publishing List ResultViewer Web Part","Rich List ResultViewer Web Part","Form ResultViewer Web Part"? I need to create pages similar to Customer Summary page in sales center with my custom objects. How can i do that? Thanks, Mohan ...

drop down list selection
I have an estimating form that we use for estimating service jobs. I entered a dropdown box at the very top to allow the user to select the correct customer. However, there are special pricing rates that pull from another sheet ('Special Rates') this sheet is in order by customer account number. However, when a customer name is selected from the dropdown box in C83, the formula set up in the preceding column E84, at needs to pull the correct customer account number to allow for the rest of the sheet to calculate properly is, =IF(E84=FALSE,LOOKUP(C83,CustomerName,'SPEC...

Customer Report
Hello, I am hoping someone might assist me with a problem. I am trying to customize a customer report to show the Notes from the customer file. It has been suggested to me to run a query on this to pull the info I want. This is great, but not ideally what I am looking for. I want anyone in the office to be able to run the report and filter it to their specifications. For example: we have an anual catalogue and we do not send it to everyone on our mailing list. We want to send it to local customers who have spent money with us or who specifically request a catalogue. We have used up all ...

change local customer to global customer
I am trying to change the local customers that i have in my store database to global customers in hq I ran this querie in store administrator UPDATE Customer SET GlobalCustomer = 1 Then ran worksheet 401 in hq, but the customers did not update, then worksheet 350. Can someone help? Had the same issue ... this worked for me - need to set globalcustomer = 1; need to set lastupdated = getdate(*); need to set storeid = 'xxxx' (whatever is appropriate for you). Go into SO Manager and configure ENABLE GLOBAL CUSTOMERS and NEW CUSTOMERS DEFAULT AS GLOBAL. Need to run 401 TWICE (once...

Custom X-axis
Hi everyone. I need to create a custom x-axis in which the values double at each interval. i.e. At the first interval the value must be 20, the next 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 62 ...20,000. Even though the numbers do not have an similar differences (e.g. 25-20 is not equal to 62-5) I will still need these values to be equally spaced. Thanks for any help you give, it's greatly appreciated! Fred. PS. If you want to know what I'm doing, I'm plotting an amplitude:frequency graph, where each spacing between each frequency is 1/3 of an octave. Fred - Two options. Make a Line chart,...

GPS Customization Query
Hi All, Is there a way to avoid/remove "Quick Links" and "Help" links from the Business Portal Site for the end users? Any help on this would be very handy. Regards, Kuldeep ...

How to customize column width in Ressource Usage report ?
Hi, When printing the Workload, Ressource Usage report, some of the durations are stated as #####.##. I tried to make the font smaller but it did'ent help. How do I make the report readable? I am using MS Project 2007 SP2. Br Bertrand If you goto Reports, Custom you can see all of the built-in reports and you can see what they are made of and you will see that they use a filter and a table (and other settings and stuff). The column width of each field is a property of the table. Find the report that you are interested in, then find the table that it uses, then e...

User Defined Function returning #Value!
I have a function that I created. When I test it in the Intermediate Window, ? Kountifs("Registered Nurse"), it returns a 12 which is correct. I want to be able to use this function a my datasheet. I have included basically the same function =Kountifs("Registered Nurse"). But, ont the datasheet I receive a #Value! rather than the 12. Does anyone have ideas why? Why dont you post the UDF.. If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "DogLover" wrote: > I have a function that I created. When I test it in the Intermed...