Critical NTBackup question re Exchange 2003

If one uses NTBACKUP to backup an Exchange 2003 Storage group to a file and
then looks at the file in the Restore tab afterwards, the GUI displays some
disturbing info after you catalog the file, namely that the Size is 0 KB.  I
can see subfolders under the Storage Group such as Log Files, Mailbox Store
and Public Folders Store and *both* the backup log reports and the Event Log
indicate that the backup has been successfull.  A .bkf file exists of the
right size.  I went to try to do a restore of the Log Files to an alternate
location to test it, but unfortunately the only option appears to be to do
the restore to the original location.

Is NTBACKUP really working????  Is this just a GUI glitch??  I've used it
successfully with Exchange 5.5 but this is my first time with 2003.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.  I looked at every Exchange 2003
book that I could get my hands on and no one mentions this issue!!

if you create a Recovery Storage Group, and add a database to recover, NT
backup will restore to that SG...you can test your backup that way...it's
been awhile since I used NT backup to backup Exchange 2003, and I don't
remember about the 0 kb thing...

"David Kristofferson" <David Kristofferson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:4A8D6604-7D2E-4B9B-82FC-A64965B1F905@microsoft.com...
> If one uses NTBACKUP to backup an Exchange 2003 Storage group to a file
and
> then looks at the file in the Restore tab afterwards, the GUI displays
some
> disturbing info after you catalog the file, namely that the Size is 0 KB.
> can see subfolders under the Storage Group such as Log Files, Mailbox
Store
> and Public Folders Store and *both* the backup log reports and the Event
Log
> indicate that the backup has been successfull.  A .bkf file exists of the
> right size.  I went to try to do a restore of the Log Files to an
alternate
> location to test it, but unfortunately the only option appears to be to do
> the restore to the original location.
>
> Is NTBACKUP really working????  Is this just a GUI glitch??  I've used it
> successfully with Exchange 5.5 but this is my first time with 2003.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help with this.  I looked at every Exchange 2003
> book that I could get my hands on and no one mentions this issue!!

0
susan7353 (1225)

FW: Try this critical pack for Microsoft Internet Explorer
--crkgyycifawmiil Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="wnhwmfvijfjqraxy"; type="multipart/alternative" --wnhwmfvijfjqraxy Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="jbiekmuyxxa" --jbiekmuyxxa Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to main...

Users not logging we account is re-enabled
I have disable a few accounts yesterday and today I need re-enable then but the users cant loggin. -- []´s Christian On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 07:07:04 -0700, Christian <Christian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have disable a few accounts yesterday and today I need re-enable then but >the users cant loggin. What can't they log into, their workstations or just their Exchange server using Outlook or another client? ...

Navigation question
Is there a keyboard shortcut for returning to the most recent edit (equivalent of Shift+F5 in Word)? [to avoid potential misunderstanding, I don't mean going to the active cell, which is Ctrl+Backspace]. Thanks Hi AFAIK there's no such shortcut / functionality -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany NOtoUCE@execulink.com wrote: > Is there a keyboard shortcut for returning to the most recent edit > (equivalent of Shift+F5 in Word)? > > [to avoid potential misunderstanding, I don't mean going to the > active cell, which is Ctrl+Backspace]. > > Thanks ...

Outlook / Exchange
I have an end user that can authenticate thru the OWA client but can not authenticate thru Outlook XP. We have recently installed a MS Exchange Server 2003. When we go in and do the "check name" it keeps asking for this users domain password. We plug in the correct password and it tells us that it is incorrect. I tried using the domain admin account and it had the same result. We also tried using both the name of the server and the IP address...no luck. Any ideas or suggustions would be helpful. Thanks. Mark W. mark@cprplus.com ...

CListCtrl Related Questions
Hi I want to ask several things about CListCtrl here: 1. How to disable multiple item selection? 2. How to disable the column header click? Since I don't have any sorting facility in my application. Thank you very much. >Hi I want to ask several things about CListCtrl here: > >1. How to disable multiple item selection? Create the control with the LVS_SINGLESEL style. >2. How to disable the column header click? Since I don't have any sorting >facility in my application. Similarly, use the LVS_NOSORTHEADER style. Dave Just to add to David's response... B...

Outlook 2003!
I'd like to be able to create a rule that includes the Safe Senders list, just like you can create a rule that specifies members of the address book. I want to move messages from these senders to another folder. ...

Try on this critical patch
--fahzekaoflfzv Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ehitsuzliffqmw"; type="multipart/alternative" --ehitsuzliffqmw Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="mpsaqsjg" --mpsaqsjg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to help ...

2 Questions concerning XML Web Services
#1) Burning question on my mind is ... what is the difference between a "web service" and a distributed COM component other then a distributed COM component had to be registered on a host server and be a part of a network whereas the web service can be located via URL? I don't see much of a difference and it bugs me :-) They both sit outside of the client computer. They both provide functionality. They are both called remotely. What's the difference? #2) Question concerning the difference between .NET remoting and Web services. I read that the .NET remoting pr...

Signature question
Hello, My signature is an htm file created in Word. I've been playing around and I've figured out how to insert an animated gif. I added it to my wife's email at the school where she teaches and she's the only teacher who has little flowers at the bottom of her signature that bloom. Now I'm trying to figure out how to imbed a wav file that will not show as an attachment below the signature; but will play automatically when the email is opened. Does anyone have an html example of how to do this? Thanks in advance, Joe in Florida What version of Office/Outlook and ...

Outlook 2003 WinXP Pro SP3 to Outlook 2003 Win7 Ultimate
I have a computer whose OS (Win 7) is on C, and old drive with XP OS is on a slave E. The e:\documents and settings\xxxx\my documents \outlook 2003 has an outlook.pst file. I have been able to successfully import the address book, but no email got imported. I did notice that there are some files in e:\documents and settings\application data\microsoft\outlook that are dated yesterday (the last time the drive was in the old computer and not a slave). I am assuming that those MIGHT be the files I need to restore, but I don't know how or where to restore them to - am I even on th...

Critical Updates
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C3827E.6340FF00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable These are virus right? ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C3827E.6340FF00 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.28...

FWD: Look at this critical update from the MS Corporation
--sjnlsvfxror Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="fmvebevkaqmdtf"; type="multipart/alternative" --fmvebevkaqmdtf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="dicvvhaq" --dicvvhaq Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help protect your co...

Publisher 2003 special size documents not printing properly in 200
We just upgraded to Publisher 2007. Our documents appear the same on the screen when opened but when in print preview they default to different size paper. We are using special size documents (4.26 X 5.75) when we notice this happening. They all default to 8 1/2 X 11. Is there anything we need to do to convert to 2007? Thank You for any help. A bit of a guess here: Open the file, select File, Print setup and input the paper size of choice. Be sure to do a Save to retain the settings. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Ginger" <Ginger@discussions.microsoft.com...

Calendar resource question.
I have a delegate set up to automatically manage appointments for multiple conference room calendars. The delegate is running Outlook 2003 and my users are running every version of Outlook from 98 - 2003. We're running an Exchange 5.5 system. My users can send an appointment to a conference room and it's accepted. Then if they try to update the appointment (without changing date or time) they get a declined message saying the appointment conflicts with another appointment and their appointment is removed from the calendar. If they update again the appointment is accepted...

Thread Question
Dear Sir, In my application we are using legacy libraries which are not thread safe.We are calling one function from the GUI to initiate the process which will call the function in the libraries.The process is as follows : 1) The tool requests the data from the oracle and after retrieving the data from the oracle local system creates one file based on this data,This process is continued repetitively based on the input,that means it may create n files based on the input.To improve the performance we are using two threads,one thread calls the library function(the constraint is we have to u...

Reintall SMTP service on exchange 2000
I re-intalled STMP on window 2000 server machine runing exchange 2000. Now mail are hanging up on the outbox. You need to reapply Windows and IIS service packs and patches. Then you must reinstall Exchange Server (use the /reinstall switch). These steps are necessary for Exchange Server to reinstall its own IIS\SMTP sinks. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;312395 for more inforamation. -- Denis McDowell [MSFT] "fashiru" <femiashiru@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4EBCF726-A929-4563-929A-B20ED1216EF5@microsoft.com... > I re-intalled STMP on wi...

"Create Rules" question please
Outlook 2003 Can I WITH ONE RULE select several people from my addressbook & have their mail moved to a specific folder when it is received? Thanks in advance... Bob "Bob Newmam" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message news:gUZgi.22197$tL1.8063@newsfe22.lga... > Outlook 2003 > > Can I WITH ONE RULE select several people from my addressbook & have their > mail moved to a specific folder when it is received? > To a single folder? Yes. To seperate folders (for instance, to a folder named for the sender)? No. -- f.h. I guess I should have asked, ho...

Office 2003...
I recently installed Office 2003 & have noticed a couple of problems. First, if I use the envelope wizard in Word & I click the address book, I get a message saying "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Outlook and set it as the default mail client" I checked & Outlook is set as the default mail client. After quitting, I get another message saying "Logon failed. You must log onto MS Exchange to access your address book, Error Code: "Unspecified Error" This is on my home computer, ...

CStdioFile::WriteString() question
Hello, I have an interesting problem. I am trying to replace one string by another string using CStdioFile::WriteString() method and if the new string is greater than the original, the part of a string on a next line is being erased. Here is my code: CStdioFile pFile; char* szFileName = "C:\\Data\\SVG\\Web\\left.html"; if( pFile.Open( szFileName, CFile::modeWrite | CFile::typeText | CFile::shareDenyNone)) { //INDX IS THE POSITION WHERE TO START ERASING pFile.Seek(indx, CFile::begin); int strsize = instr.GetLength(); CString temp; for (int i = 0; i < st...

BASIC QUESTION
Is it possible to create a form that draws data from more than one table? Is so does it have to use a query? On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:04:04 -0700, Novice2000 <Novice2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to create a form that draws data from more than one table? Yes. >Is so does it have to use a query? Yes; either a query or (more commonly) a main form for one table and a subform for the other. For a more detailed answer please post a more detailed question! John W. Vinson [MVP] On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:04:04 -0700, Novice2000 wrote: > Is it p...

Prove this critical pack
--rykwgkexodjlirieu Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="egfeydmbsfzupcy"; type="multipart/alternative" --egfeydmbsfzupcy Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="jokrzyzpbqdagnifp" --jokrzyzpbqdagnifp Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Insta...

Backup of Exchange Server
I am getting following error while backing the Microsoft Information Store. What might be the problem. Backup started on 27-Dec-04 at 5:30 PM. The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d). ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d). ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-' The operation was ended. What are you using to back up Exchange? 3rd party software (Veritas...

.CMD questions
Can someone explain how to have a *.CMD window open, execute a program and STAY at the command prompt? All I know to try is this: @echo off calendar_popup (this is the program I want executed) but immediately after execution the window closes (unless I put a PAUSE statement) but I need the window to return to a command prompt (not close) TIA Had to update the post as it doesn't fully explain what I'm trying to do. I have two 'DOS' programs (which work in a CMD window) which I'd like executed when the .CMD file is invoked, as follows: @echo off...

How to permanently delete mail from IMAP servers / Outlook 2003 question
Hi I use O.L. 2003 I've configured my outlook to collect complete mail from my IMAP servers. (full mail - not just headers) Then I move mail into folders in my machine, based on rules or by using -> edit -> move commands How do I completely delete the **moved** mail from my IMAP server (i.e.) mail that I **have** moved to my local folders have to be completely deleted from the IMAP server I can see that Pegasus does this, but my present settings in outlook 2003 don't... Suggestions and hints are appreciated Thanks posts ...

public email address audit trail exchange 2003
we have set up a public folder for outside requests for help. several people respond to the emails but the responses are displayed as from there individual email addresses so the "sent" email is in there individual folders. Is there anyway to a) copy the sent mail to a common folder? b) show all responses or c) query all emails in the system for the public folder address thanks for any help. Ian. In news:A528DD55-C385-4F76-9AE8-A28AF240498F@microsoft.com, Ian <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > we have set up a public folder for outside requests for help. >...