Creating Universal Groups with Distribution Group members?

Hello all.

We have a Windows 2003 Active Directory with Exchange
2003, and I don't really want to duplicate work, but I
think I may have to (ugh!).

Here is the deal.  I need to create an All Managers
Universal Group with every group that has managers in
it.  So, what I tried doing, was I created a Universal
Group and added the _All Managers DL into it -- but that
didn't seem to work, according to my boss who asked me to
create this UG for him.  So, my question is, am I not
allowed to add DL members to a Universal Security Group?
And if now, is there any way that I can take the members
of a DL, and copy then, and then change them into a new
Security Group?

Thanks!

-Blake
0
anonymous (74721)

Hi Blake
Just to recap on what you said so i understand correctly
You need to create  a universal DL that contains other distribution lists
for you boss.
The existing DL are they Universal or Global?
What is it that does not work for your boss?
You can add UG DL,GG DL to a UG Security group.
--
Best Regards
Jan Englund
"Blake" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all.
>
> We have a Windows 2003 Active Directory with Exchange
> 2003, and I don't really want to duplicate work, but I
> think I may have to (ugh!).
>
> Here is the deal.  I need to create an All Managers
> Universal Group with every group that has managers in
> it.  So, what I tried doing, was I created a Universal
> Group and added the _All Managers DL into it -- but that
> didn't seem to work, according to my boss who asked me to
> create this UG for him.  So, my question is, am I not
> allowed to add DL members to a Universal Security Group?
> And if now, is there any way that I can take the members
> of a DL, and copy then, and then change them into a new
> Security Group?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Blake

The "_All Managers" is a Universal Distribution Group.  I
created a "Managers Universal Group" and made it a
Universal Security Group, and I added the "_All Managers"
DUG to it.  My boss's email was:

"I made the UG the only authorized user for Project and
it instantly disappeared from my Citrix login options.
(Before my user account had explicitly been authorized).
I don't know that you can effectively add a distribution
group to a security group, because that would leave group
membership in the hands of the distribution group owner,
who likely would not otherwise have administrative rights
to change memberships in security groups.  You might have
to duplicate the distribution group membership in the
security group."

What do you think?

0
anonymous (74721)

create a roster

Routing Group connector problem
Hi everybody i have a strange problem in Exchange 2003 i have a single domain that is scattered accros 2 sites, Site A and Site B, in each site i have an exchange 2003 server. In Site A, i have exch1 and in site B i have exch2. Each site have a domain controller that is a global catalog, all servers are Windows 2003, and the domain is working in the Windows Server2003 mode, Exchange is working in native mode. The exchange servers are installed on member servers not on the domain controllers. My problem is as follow, after i setup a routing group connector to be able to send emails bet...

Task Create - Status

Query on Group field in Pivot Table
I have a large database wherein under Date column, data is in the format "Thu Oct 1 12:00 AM". When I use Pivot Table Under OPTIONS->GROUP-> Group Field is disabled. I used this to group Date field to either present data by Month, quarter at one click. Can anybody guide me why this seems to be disabled here. I want to present my data only by Monthwithout changing the format ""Thu Oct 1 12:00 AM". Thanks Hi Shewta Check you Data Source of your Pivot. it should come up like "Sheet6!$G$1:$I$821" and not like "'\Documents and...

Distribution List Max Number of Recipients
Does anyone know what the maximum number of recipients allowed in a distribution list is in Exchange 5.5 Thanks. "L. Wagoner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know what the maximum number of recipients allowed in a distribution list is in Exchange 5.5? It's somewhere in the vicinity of 5,000. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

Create external database

Organizing Outlook folder for group to work from.
I'm just wondering if Outlook has the capability to do the following: We are a group of four people who work from a single Inbox for support emails. Each one of us specializes in handling a different set of issues. We want to be able to flag email in this inbox so that everyone in the group knows that one of us is working that email. Anyway to add flags with our names instead of the default colored flags? Also, we want the messages to not "Mark as Read" for the whole group when only one of us reads it. Any good way of doing this? Ideally, it would be great if the message was mar...

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

Creating an ad book

Access unable to create an MDE

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...

protecting a group of cells not a whole worksheet
I would like to protect a group of cells and not a whole worksheet but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. I think this would be the best way for what I am wanting to do. I have a spreadsheet that I send to 13 people. They make changes and send back to me and then I have to up-date the changes. If I could protect all the cells except for the one they enter in - then I could save the file on a shared drive and it would eliminate me up-dating. Is there a way to do this? Hi select the cells for which you want to allow entries. After this goto 'Format - cells - Protection&...

Error creating activities from Cases
Hi I have an out of the box SBS 2003 CRM Setup I have installed Rollup1 and the new help files Under about MS CRM it has CRM 3.0 (3.0.5300.0) When we try and create activies from within a case, we get the following to errors in the event log We can create the activities just fromthe main web client menu ok The same thing happens in the outlook client (OL 2003, Exchange 2003) I found some links to verabose stuff, but they all applied to the have MS CRM setup on multiple server. We have tried it with and without Outlook open Anyhelp appreciated Event Type: Error Event Source: MSC...

Create multiple owner fields?
Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to track the users who is working with an account. I know only own owner field is supported, but is it poosible to have one owner field and custom fields using the lookup dialog to map more users? // Mats Have you looked at creating a custom entity. Then have a Many to One relationship to user and a Many to One relationship to Account. "Langer" wrote: > > > Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to > track the users who is working with an account. I know only own o...

Creating a duplicate worksheet
I have a spreadsheet which i wish to give access to other users. But I want this to be a master spreadsheet ,and create access to a constantly updated duplicate worksheet. This will enable other users the ability to ammend or adapt a duplicate sheet that will not affect the master. Can this be done? -- Thanks Paul Keep the master and distribute copies. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "Paul" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet which i wish to give access to other users. > But I want this to be a master spreadsheet ,and create access to a &g...