Converting Distribution List to Mailbox

Quick question:

I have a distribution list that a user wants to convert to a mailbox.  Is
deleting the distribution list with all its members/e-mail addresses, then
recreating it as a mailbox the easiest way to get this done?

Thanks in advance,
Vik

0
Vik (13)

Sorry I forgot to add we're using Exchange Enterprise 2K3 with Windows 2003
Server standard.

"Vik" wrote:

> Quick question:
>
> I have a distribution list that a user wants to convert to a mailbox.  Is
> deleting the distribution list with all its members/e-mail addresses, then
> recreating it as a mailbox the easiest way to get this done?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Vik

0
Vik (13)
12/29/2004 8:59:01 PM
you don't "convert" a DL to a mailbox...a DL has mailboxes/users as
members...what is your objective, exactly?

"Vik" <Vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Quick question:
>
> I have a distribution list that a user wants to convert to a mailbox.  Is
> deleting the distribution list with all its members/e-mail addresses, then
> recreating it as a mailbox the easiest way to get this done?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Vik

0
susan7353 (1225)
12/29/2004 9:34:16 PM
Hi Susan,

A user wants to be able to set an out of office message for the e-mail
addresses that belong to the distribution list, but since you can only set
OOO messages on Mailboxes, I was thinking I had to change the distribution
list to a mailbox..Am I correct in this assumption?

Cheers,
Vik

"Susan" wrote:

> you don't "convert" a DL to a mailbox...a DL has mailboxes/users as
> members...what is your objective, exactly?
>
> "Vik" <Vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Quick question:
> >
> > I have a distribution list that a user wants to convert to a mailbox.  Is
> > deleting the distribution list with all its members/e-mail addresses, then
> > recreating it as a mailbox the easiest way to get this done?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Vik

0
Vik (13)
12/29/2004 10:21:04 PM
Out of Office works only on a mailbox, that is true...but the smtp address
that shows on these emails will only be the "primary" smtp address of the
mailbox...

> Hi Susan,
>
> A user wants to be able to set an out of office message for the e-mail
> addresses that belong to the distribution list, but since you can only set
> OOO messages on Mailboxes, I was thinking I had to change the distribution
> list to a mailbox..Am I correct in this assumption?
>

> Cheers,
> Vik
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > you don't "convert" a DL to a mailbox...a DL has mailboxes/users as
> > members...what is your objective, exactly?
> >
> > "Vik" <Vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Quick question:
> > >
> > > I have a distribution list that a user wants to convert to a mailbox.
Is
> > > deleting the distribution list with all its members/e-mail addresses,
then
> > > recreating it as a mailbox the easiest way to get this done?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Vik

0
susan7353 (1225)
12/29/2004 10:32:24 PM
that would be fine as most of the e-mail addresses that belong to the
distribution list are old and rarely used, so as long as the primary smtp
address is covered by the ooo then we would be fine with that.

With that being said, is there another way to change the distribution list
to a mailbox without deleting the DL and recreating it as an MBOX?

"Susan" wrote:

> Out of Office works only on a mailbox, that is true...but the smtp address
> that shows on these emails will only be the "primary" smtp address of the
> mailbox...
>
> "Vik" <Vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Susan,
> >
> > A user wants to be able to set an out of office message for the e-mail
> > addresses that belong to the distribution list, but since you can only set
> > OOO messages on Mailboxes, I was thinking I had to change the distribution
> > list to a mailbox..Am I correct in this assumption?
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Vik
> >
> > "Susan" wrote:
> >
> > > you don't "convert" a DL to a mailbox...a DL has mailboxes/users as
> > > members...what is your objective, exactly?
> > >
> > > "Vik" <Vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Is
> then

0
Vik (13)
12/29/2004 10:55:02 PM
no, but you could leave the DL in place, create a mailbox and move all the
smtp addresses to the mailbox, if you need to keep the DL...

> that would be fine as most of the e-mail addresses that belong to the
> distribution list are old and rarely used, so as long as the primary smtp
> address is covered by the ooo then we would be fine with that.
>
> With that being said, is there another way to change the distribution list
> to a mailbox without deleting the DL and recreating it as an MBOX?
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > Out of Office works only on a mailbox, that is true...but the smtp
address
> > that shows on these emails will only be the "primary" smtp address of
the
> > mailbox...
> >
> > "Vik" <Vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Susan,
> > >
> > > A user wants to be able to set an out of office message for the e-mail
> > > addresses that belong to the distribution list, but since you can only
set
> > > OOO messages on Mailboxes, I was thinking I had to change the
distribution
> > > list to a mailbox..Am I correct in this assumption?
> > >

> > > Cheers,
> > > Vik

> > Is
> > then

0
susan7353 (1225)

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

questions on drop down list
Hello all!!im filling a dropdown list with results from a query as th code shows (i fill the drop down everytime i open the xls file), BU this dropdown keeps all information when i close the file and when run the code again the result is merged into the older, i need to clea the dropdown in this code before i fill it again!!! i tried .Clear bu excel says it doesnt belong to the object class..i dunno what to do > > Sub Auto_Open() > > Const strActiveConnection > "DSN=TURMALINA;Description=TURMALINA;;;APP=Microsoft Offic > 2003;WSID=GENERATOR;DATABASE=JDE_DEVELOPME...

Printing list of emails in Oulook Express
I am trying to find a way to print, an entire list of email reciepts, so I don't have to keep them. Can anyone help? >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to find a way to print, an entire list of email reciepts, so I=20 >don't have to keep them. Can anyone help? >. > These Newsgroups address issues regarding MS Office Outlook. Outlook Express is a component of Windows/Internet Explorer. Post your question where the OE gurus hang out: http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=3DInternetExp= lorer ...

Mailbox store dismounted automatically
Exchange 2003 server/w SP1, Windows 2003 STD with latest patch, Both of Exchange mailbox stores dismounted automatically, with event ID 1159, source: MSExchangeIS Category General tape Error Description: Database error 0xfffffd9a occurred in function JTAB_BASE::EcUpdate while accessing the database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp Click the Microsoft link on the event ID, got the following details: Details Product: Exchange ID: 1159 Source: MSExchangeIS Version: 6.0 Component: Information Store Symb...

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Color Coding Email Listings
Hi All, Without using the Followup function. Is there a way to color code the email listings. Mac's are good for this, and Eudors on PC. I may want to highlight an email with color codes... and the entire listing being highlighted is a better visual then the followup flag. And these items really aren't being highlighted for followup.. just for more important future reference. Thanks -Dave Dave Bar <d@d.com> wrote: > Without using the Followup function. > Is there a way to color code the email listings. See if these help: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/colore...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Creating custom list with a comma in it
I need to sort a list of cities. I know how to creat a custom list however there seems to be a bug in it. I am hoping somebody knows how to work around this Creating this list is simple: CHICAGO BALTIMORE PHILADELPHIA DALLAS WASHINGTON The problem comes when the same city is in multiple states so that the cell actually says: COLUMBUS, OH COLUMBUS, GA PORTLAND, OR PORTLAND, ME because internally the item separator is a comma, the custom list changes these entries to: COLUMBUS OH COLUMBUS GA PORTLAND OR PORTLAND ME Obviously when you do a data sort it doesn't find any of these va...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Distribution Group problem
I have exchange 2000 running on a 2000 server. I have several domain distribution groups which until recently worked fine. Now if you send a mail to a group it appears to go but is never recieved. But if you expand the group it lists it's members and will then deliver the email. What has happened does anyone have any ideas??? Just a thought I applied the latest security updates to the windows 2000 server that exchange is installed on and the problem has appeared since. SallyB "SallyB" wrote: > I have exchange 2000 running on a 2000 server. I have several domain > d...

Mailbox Manager Settings
If I add a group to a mailbox manager policy, will the policy act upon the group itself (it only if it's a mail-enabled group) or will it act on all mail-enabled users who are a member of the group? I want it to do the latter to save me adding loads of individuals to the policy. Thanks It should apply to the individuals within the group. Nue "K" <@.> wrote in message news:O7JFN6cbGHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > If I add a group to a mailbox manager policy, will the policy act upon the > group itself (it only if it's a mail-enabled group) or will it a...

XML Note convert to DataSet

how do i restart a mailbox store?
how do i restart the mailbox store? Is this a service? I only see informaiton store. is this the one? You can dismount and remount an ind. mailbox/public store or stop and start the Information Store which essentially controls all the stores. On 30 Jan 2005 17:38:35 -0800, aaronwhittaker2002@yahoo.com (aaron.whittaker) wrote: >how do i restart the mailbox store? Is this a service? I only see >informaiton store. is this the one? ...

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Can I import a windows explorer list of files into an Excel sprea.
I was wondering if it is possible to import the list of files within a particular folder that one sees when using Windows Explorer, into an Excel spreadsheet? I am using WinXP and Office2003. modify to suit Sub GetFileList() Dim iCtr As Integer With Application.FileSearch .NewSearch .LookIn = "c:\aa" .SearchSubFolders = True .Filename = ".xls" If .Execute > 0 Then For iCtr = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count Cells(iCtr, 1).Value = .FoundFiles(iCtr) Next iCtr End If End With End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281....

permission to create mailbox in Ex2K3
our desktop support creates user account in AD OUs. They have full permission for OUs as OU Admin. Now, we need to give them permission to create mailbox when set up new user account. As for the permission what should I do? I looked at Exchange Delegation but no quite clear about mailbox creation permission. Can someone let me know what to do and how to do it? Thanks. There are several AD attributes that this delegated accounts needs write access to. I have tried previous suggestions in the past by creating a delegated account in AD giving him account management role and giving the...

Convert

how do i refresh a pivot table drop down list in excel 2003?
when i remove data from my source tab, the entries still show in the drop down list for the field in my pivot table. i am trying to figure out how to remove them. i tried removing the field from the pivot table, refreshing the pivot table, and then placing the field back in. that only works sometimes. ...

Inventory list columns
There needs to be more columns avaialble in the inventory and other lists. It would also be nice to be able to print from the inventory lists. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en...

Numbers converting to decimal

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money