Connection Between 2003 and 5.5

Hi Guys,

I have an Exchange organisation consisting of 18 Exchange serves running
Enterprise edition of 5.5.

All email is routed through 2 Bridgehead servers and which connects out to
an SMTP server then to the internet.

I have installed Exchange Server 2003 and would like to make this the
Bridgehead server for all emails to flow though,whilst I upgrade the
exisiting environment.

How would I achieve this? Would I need to setup a connection using ADC?

Please advise.

Many thanks
Mohammed
0
Mohammed (42)

"Mohammed" <Mohammed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have an Exchange organisation consisting of 18 Exchange serves running
>Enterprise edition of 5.5.
>
>All email is routed through 2 Bridgehead servers and which connects out to
>an SMTP server then to the internet.
>
>I have installed Exchange Server 2003 and would like to make this the
>Bridgehead server for all emails to flow though,whilst I upgrade the
>exisiting environment.
>
>How would I achieve this? Would I need to setup a connection using ADC?

Assuming the E2K3 server is in the same Exchane organization, getting
the ADC workin is a "good thing".

Once that's done and both the AD and 5.5 directories see the same set
of configuration information, create a SMTP Connector in the routing
group and give it the "organization scope". Then change the address
space value on the IMS's to use "*" (the same value as the E2K3 SMTP
Connector). Wait for routing to recalculate and you're happy that mail
moves from the E2K3 server to the smarthost (which is what I think you
meant when you said "to an SMTP server).

When you're satisfied that things are working, change the address
space value on the IMS's to something like "bogus.local" and wait,
once again for the change to replicate and the routing to be
recalculated. At that point mail should move from the 5.5 servers to
the E2K3 server for delivery.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Many thanks for you reply.  If the new Exchange 2003 has to be installed as
a new organisation and then each existing Exchange user be migrated to the
new servers, how would this be achievable?

Basically, the core issue is upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to 2003.  I do not
wish to use an in place upgrade solution and as we are migrating to Active
Directory, I thought moving to Exchange 2003 would be the sensible procedure
to implement.

Would a better solution be to keep things completely seperate.  Move
offices/Users to Exchange 2003 and have the server go off to an SMTP server
without affecting the existing environment.  If I use this method, How would
users on the Exchange 2003 servers be able to see the existing Company GAL
and Free Busy Data? How would they be able to send emails to the existing
organistion? How would I connect the two organisations together so email
flows across Site Connectors as oppose to Internet?

You insight is appreciated as always.

Regards
Mohammed

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "Mohammed" <Mohammed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have an Exchange organisation consisting of 18 Exchange serves running
> >Enterprise edition of 5.5.
> >
> >All email is routed through 2 Bridgehead servers and which connects out to
> >an SMTP server then to the internet.
> >
> >I have installed Exchange Server 2003 and would like to make this the
> >Bridgehead server for all emails to flow though,whilst I upgrade the
> >exisiting environment.
> >
> >How would I achieve this? Would I need to setup a connection using ADC?
>
> Assuming the E2K3 server is in the same Exchane organization, getting
> the ADC workin is a "good thing".
>
> Once that's done and both the AD and 5.5 directories see the same set
> of configuration information, create a SMTP Connector in the routing
> group and give it the "organization scope". Then change the address
> space value on the IMS's to use "*" (the same value as the E2K3 SMTP
> Connector). Wait for routing to recalculate and you're happy that mail
> moves from the E2K3 server to the smarthost (which is what I think you
> meant when you said "to an SMTP server).
>
> When you're satisfied that things are working, change the address
> space value on the IMS's to something like "bogus.local" and wait,
> once again for the change to replicate and the routing to be
> recalculated. At that point mail should move from the 5.5 servers to
> the E2K3 server for delivery.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Mohammed (42)
10/16/2005 10:56:02 AM
"Mohammed" <Mohammed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Many thanks for you reply.  If the new Exchange 2003 has to be installed as
>a new organisation and then each existing Exchange user be migrated to the
>new servers, how would this be achievable?

There are multiple steps to this sort of operation. The 1st is to get
the directory data from the 1st directory into the 2nd directory. The
ADMT stuff can help with that.

The 2nd step is to get the mailboxes assigned in the 2nd organization
in a way that makes them accesible to the accounts in the 1st
directory.

The 2rd step is getting the contents of the mailboxes from the 1st
organization into the mailboxes in the 2nd organization.

>Basically, the core issue is upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to 2003.  I do not
>wish to use an in place upgrade solution and as we are migrating to Active
>Directory, I thought moving to Exchange 2003 would be the sensible procedure
>to implement.

There's no need to do an in-place upgrade from .5 to E2K3 -- in fact
you *can't* do that. But getting the NT domain upgraded to AD should
be your 1st task. When that's done. just add an E2K3 server to your
existing Exchange organization and ove the mailboxes to the new
server. You can remove the Exchange 5.5 server after you move all the
other bits and pieces to the new server (public folders, system
folders, offline address book, etc.). Technet has at least one KB
articl covering the necessary steps.

>Would a better solution be to keep things completely seperate.

That's a judgement call you'll have to make. Making a clean start can
be beneficial if there are mistakes in your current Exchange
organization and NT domain structure you'd like to correct, but if the
5.5 and NT design was a good one there's not much benefit in building
from scratch (unless you're getting paid by the hour).

>Move
>offices/Users to Exchange 2003 and have the server go off to an SMTP server
>without affecting the existing environment.  If I use this method, How would
>users on the Exchange 2003 servers be able to see the existing Company GAL
>and Free Busy Data?

That's two different questions. :)

The GAL is just a view of the directory. An Outlook client is only
going to see one of them -- the one in the directory they're connected
to. You'll really want to have both directories to have the same
contents, although not necessarily organized in the same way (although
having objects from the 5.5 directory scattered over several OU's in
the AD is possible, it can be confusing to work with). The
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange site has some tech documents that
describe operating in a multi-forest environment.

The Free/Busy stuff is in a public folder. If you have two
organizations you'll have to either forego the F/B data or use the
Interorganization Replication Tool to replicate the F/B folders
between the two organization.

>How would they be able to send emails to the existing
>organistion?

In the same way you send mail to any other organization. :) SMTP,
X.400, MSMail, etc.

>How would I connect the two organisations together so email
>flows across Site Connectors as oppose to Internet?

If you have two different orgainzations you won't have anything you
can use with a site connector becasue the site connector only works
within the same organization.

You can use the IMS or an X.400 connector for this. If you have more
thanone server in the old organization you can create another IMS and
give it the address space value of the new organization's SMTP domain.
If BOTH organizations are going to share the same namespace you have
another set of problems to deal with -- and maybe another reason to
stay with the organization you have now.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

I have a slight problem.  I installed Exchange as a new installation and
gave it a new name for the  orgaisation.  After reading your response I guess
I should have chosen the option to join an existing 5.5 organisation.

I have uninstalled the Exchange server but would ike to remove the
organisation name from the Forest, mainly becuase when I rerun the setup for
Exchange, I am not prompted to join a 5.5 organisation.

I have used the setup/removeorg switch but it fails with error relating to
code 0XC1037AE6.  How should I proceed? Can I join the site without removing
the organisation information from AD?  How can I achieve this?

Your help, as always, is most appreciated.

Regards
Mohammed

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
>
> >How would they be able to send emails to the existing
> >organistion?
>
> In the same way you send mail to any other organization. :) SMTP,
> X.400, MSMail, etc.
>
> >How would I connect the two organisations together so email
> >flows across Site Connectors as oppose to Internet?
>
> If you have two different orgainzations you won't have anything you
> can use with a site connector becasue the site connector only works
> within the same organization.
>
> You can use the IMS or an X.400 connector for this. If you have more
> thanone server in the old organization you can create another IMS and
> give it the address space value of the new organization's SMTP domain.
> If BOTH organizations are going to share the same namespace you have
> another set of problems to deal with -- and maybe another reason to
> stay with the organization you have now.

Mohammed (42)
10/17/2005 9:29:13 PM
"Mohammed" <Mohammed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Rich,
>
>I have a slight problem.  I installed Exchange as a new installation and
>gave it a new name for the  orgaisation.  After reading your response I guess
>I should have chosen the option to join an existing 5.5 organisation.
>
>I have uninstalled the Exchange server but would ike to remove the
>organisation name from the Forest, mainly becuase when I rerun the setup for
>Exchange, I am not prompted to join a 5.5 organisation.
>
>I have used the setup/removeorg switch but it fails with error relating to
>code 0XC1037AE6.  How should I proceed?

From where did you run the "setup /Removeorg"? You can't run it on the
E2K3 server. See this KB:

How to remove Exchange Server 2003 from your computer [833396]

This may help (or it might not -- that error code shows up only a
couple of times in Technet):
Setup with the /forestprep switch does not succeed, and you receive a
0xC1037AE6 error message [870829]

>Can I join the site without removing
>the organisation information from AD?  How can I achieve this?

If you can't get /removeorg to work, you can remove Exchange from the
server by following the instructions in 870829 and then removing the
information from the AD's Configuration container. I'd make a backup
of the domain before you do that, though. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

EXCHANGE 2003 and VISA Ultimate
I am having an issue running Exchange connected to a VISTA machine and wondering if anyone can guide me on this. I have three servers in my network, one running the server files and SQL, one running Exchange and one running backups. All are 2003 Enterprise. My desktop is running VISTA Ultimate, and to date have had no issues that could to be handled. Today, however, while I am still receiving email I cannot send anything through OUTLOOK 2007 with getting a message saying that I am not authorized to send mail. This has been working fine to date, so a little confused as to what is happen...

Outbound e-mail queues on our front-end Exchange 2003 server
Here is my company's config: 1 - Front-end exchange 2003 enterprise w/ SP2 server running on Windows 2003 Server R2 Standard Edition. 1 - Back-end exchange 2003 enterprise w/ SP2 server running on Windows 2003 Server R2 Standard Edition. The front-end server services HTTP/S requests as well and POP3 and IMAP4 and acts as an SMTP relay for all incoming email. The back-end server host ALL of our mailboxes and is supposed to be sending all of our outbound email via smarthost to Postini (our SPAM provider). 99.99% of our outbound email is routed and delivered no problem, but everyday I see...

Publisher 2003-remove margins
I'm running Publisher 2003 and am new to it but am familiar with most other major graphics apps. My question is this: if I set my paper up to 8.5x11 landscape and design my tri-fold to go all the way to the edge of the artboard, do a print preview, it cuts the edge off. It's as if there's a set margin that it's not letting me print in. Is there not a way to create a publication to full bleed in this app like I can in Illustrator? Thanks for any help! Buster Does your printer allow full bleed? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Blankman" <none@micro...

help: Installed Sharepoint Portal Server 2003 over WSS
And now I can't access the Business Portal or my old WSS sites. We're running Microsoft Business Portal for Great Plains on top of WSS 2.0. Today I installed Sharepoint Portal Server 2003 without first reading the migration guide (stupid of me). Now I can't get the old WSS sites or the Business Portal site to load. I created a new virtual server for the Sharepoint Portal Server before installing it and I believe the Sharepoint Portal created a new MSDE database so it didn't wipe out the old SHAREPOINT MSDE database. I need to get the Microsoft Business Portal and the old WSS ...

Reinstall Exchange 2003 on Same Server
We have multiple problems on a current Windows 2003 Server (also a DC - will DCPROMO down first and wait for replication) with Exchange 2003; therefore, we would like to reinstall the OS on this server. **** The errors are related to an application we previously had installed on this server and no longer have.**** Anyhow, after the reinstall of the OS, we will put back Exchange 2003 DB (priv & pub files). Is there a proper high-level process you guys can tell me in how to approach this procedure? Thank you. you will need to use /DisasterRecovery switch http://www.msexchange....

SBS Connectivity issues
Experiencing intermittent delays and dropped connections to Small Business Server. Config is: SBS2003 SP2 (all current patches) running on HP ML110 server; 4 PCs onsite - 3 used by onsite staff; 1 used by remote user to access server via RWW. Users run basic Office apps, Outlook, Quickbooks, internet access. Also have an Avaya VIOP phone system (4 phones) on the network. Everything has been in place for almost 4 years. Having more frequent connectivity issues. Onsite PCs show delays in Outlook connecting to Exchange ('Trying to connect ...). Remote user reports...

ODBC Connection Not Connecting
I am using the below code to 1) automatically connect to a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle connection called "FIN_CUR" and 2) run an query on a linked table in FIN_CUR The issue i am having is that the ODBC connect part of the script appears to be working, but when it goes to try to run the query I still get the popup prompting for user name and password to make the connection to the ODBC. I have verify that the user name and password are correct, but don't know what I am missing. Here is my code Public Sub OraConnect() Dim strErr As String On Error GoTo...

Simultaneous socket connections. Is there a limit?
My client wants me to write an application that maintains 30 or 40 simultaneous socket connections to different hardware devices. For each device the throughput requirements are very small since only some small packets are sent occasionally at random intervals. Is there a simultaneous limit? 30 or 40 is far more then I have ever done. I don't want any surprises. Is there a limit? I assume XP Professional would handle this. Correct? Would XP Home be any different? My laptop has XP home. To certain incoming ports, its 10, although there are several cracks out their to remove this...

Outlook Win98SE Trying to Connect to Server time out. IBM 390E & Rogers.com
I have loaded Win98SE and Office 97 on an IBM 390E laptop using IBM Etherjet 10/100 network card connected to a D- Link 714P+ 4-port wire&wireless cable router. Network file transfers work fine, IE 6 works fine. Outlook often hangs when it loads and trys to connect to the (Rogers.com) server to download email messages. I contacted Rogers tech support and all settings are correct. If I take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the cable modem - Outlooks works like a charm & fast downloading of messages. I have 3 other PCs connected on the LAN and all work fine...

VPN can't connect to workstations
I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server shares with no problem. My problem is that it cannot connect to the workstations . Would appreciate any input on that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:b4419f87-386b-41de-876a-e3546096ecc2@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ > Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server > shares with no problem. My problem is ...

Christmas lights macro #5
Thank you very much for your assistance. It works well -- pmolse ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pmolsen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1511 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26744 ...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

IMAP: A connection to the server cannot be established
I have Outlook 2007 Installed on Two Separate PCs. One has Vista installed, and the other, Windows 7. McAfee Security Center is the Anti-Virus software unstalled on both PCs. I have setup 2 IMAP Accounts on each PC and can only get the ones on the Vista Box to work correctly. This is the error I keep getting on the Windows 7 Box: Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for [my-email-account].' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my-email-account]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this ...

Intranet Connection
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to connect 5 computers using Outlook XP intranet. What is = the best way to connect them....using MS mail, MS Exchange, etc. Thanks Douglas ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

Outlook 2003 and Disappearing BCM
I had Business Contact Mgr. this morning, but it appears to have disappeared. I still have an option that says "business contacts" and "accounts in business contacts", but I can't add new ones, I can't link history, etc. The Business Tools menu has disappeared. And all my email history is showing up in every contact (every email I have is attached to every business contact record even if the emails aren't from that person or even remotely related). I installed an iPAQ (3800 series) earlier. Could that have messed it up? Should I just re-install BC...

How do I grab data from every tenth row of a 5,000 row spreadsheet???
At work, we're doing a poll of 500 people, and we've got a list of 5,000 = potential people to contact in a vast, 5,000-row Microsoft Excel=20 spreadsheet. =20 Is there a way to run a query or a macro or something that will=20 automatically go in and select every tenth row on this document and=20 either erase the intervening rows and move all the remaining to the=20 top, and/or copy the contents of every tenth row into a new document=20 (but without nine blank rows between each row?) =20 We're using Microsoft Excel v.X on Mac OS X Jaguar. =20 Most of what we do is graphic desig...

IE8 and Firefox won't connect to Yuku?
I've been having an issue tonight where my internet won't connect to the Yuku site first on IE8 then on Firefox, both sites got the same screen telling me it's an inactive site and I have connection issues. I ran the trouble shooter and it's telling me I don't have an issue? I'm on Windows 7 upgrade from XP, Windows Firewall is on, spyware is AVG and Spybot. I checked all the settings and nothing looked different as I was on the site like 2 days ago. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe you do have connection issues? 4thjet wrote: > I've been ...

Hotmail connection
I'm new to Microsoft Outlook, and want to view and send email using Microsoft Outlook. I have used Hotmail for quite a while, and am looking for a method of "re-routing". (?) I played around with the configurations, but still could not connect to my hotmail accout through Outlook. Can any one help? Thanks. Which version of Outlook? Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) (9.0.0.2711) Internet Mail Only Copyright (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. "miker67@gmail.com" wrote: > Which version of Outlook? > > zephyrus17 <zephyrus17@discussions.micros...

microsoft out look mail 2003
I need some help please, My microsoft express mail was configured, and correctly. I wanted to customize the tools bars to be able to to work with mail template, how ever it didnt work I clieck on the help button and it asked do I want it to go back to the default settings, of course I clicked yes, it went through the process and reser the default settings, how ever, now all of my emails that are imported through my pop through and not coming back into the inbox, the ipop3 is configured correct, and test shows correct, but again its not synchronixing and putting my emails back ino...

Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?
Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the network resource? Any help would be greatly appreci...

Checks in Money 2003 #2
How can i print out the bank name and the bank account number ? In microsoft.public.money, clara wrote: >How can i print out the bank name and the bank account >number ? See FAQ available at http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/ for information. ...

No Internet connections in Network connections!!!
Hi im new to this forum and really need help. Yesterday I decided to set up my computer again (It had been in the garage because I wasn't using it for a while). Anyways, when I first started it up it worked fine and the internet connection worked as well. Later on it began to shut off unexpectedly if i tried to remove a program through task manager that wasn't working, so since it didn't have any important data, I decided to reformat my hardrive and reinstall microsoft xp. When I started up my cpu again, I noticed that there were no connections, even though I had not unp...

Remotely connect to SBS 2003
I'm a little new here. Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server. However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the external IP changes. How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the office to give me the new external IP all the time? I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router. I can connect fine when I have the correct external IP. Thanks in advance! R. Hi Remi: Welcome..... You should have a static IP address, or a dynamic to static t...