Configuring against Dictionary attacks.

Hi all,
Probably a basic question, but I just can't seem to find an answer to it. We
have a Symantec SMTP Gateway set up with our exchange 2000 server in behind
that. We are getting huge volumes of Dictionary type spam bogging down the
system.

I'd like to beable to have exchange drop the bogus user names coming in and
not send out NDR's to those bogas users - clogging up the SMSSMTP server.

Thanks for any suggestions/instructions on this setup.
Barry
0
G1 (145)

Hello Barry,

What version of Exchange are you using? If it is Ex 2003, you can
configure it not to accept emails for invalid user names. For older
versions you have to rely on third party tools.

Check if Symantec's Gateway can check Active Directory before accepting
messages. We use Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com) in our
company and that does query AD before accepting messages. We are using
Ex 5.5 and therefore, had to rely on a third party solution.

Bill

Barry G wrote:
> Hi all,
> Probably a basic question, but I just can't seem to find an answer to it. We
> have a Symantec SMTP Gateway set up with our exchange 2000 server in behind
> that. We are getting huge volumes of Dictionary type spam bogging down the
> system.
>
> I'd like to beable to have exchange drop the bogus user names coming in and
> not send out NDR's to those bogas users - clogging up the SMSSMTP server.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions/instructions on this setup.
> Barry
0
anonymous (74719)
3/14/2005 9:46:05 PM
Thanks Bill,
Sorry should have said we use 2000. Querying AD would be exactly what I want
to do. I rightly or wrongly got the impression from Symantec support that I
could do this with our setup - but because I'm having trouble finding it -
your responce makes total sense. No SMSSMTP 4 does not do AD queries  :-(

However the new version you can 'buy-up' to use Brightmail.

Any other third parties that you know out there or settings in Exch2k anyone
can think off?

Thanks again

"Bill Jackson" wrote:

> Hello Barry,
>
> What version of Exchange are you using? If it is Ex 2003, you can
> configure it not to accept emails for invalid user names. For older
> versions you have to rely on third party tools.
>
> Check if Symantec's Gateway can check Active Directory before accepting
> messages. We use Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com) in our
> company and that does query AD before accepting messages. We are using
> Ex 5.5 and therefore, had to rely on a third party solution.
>
> Bill
>

> Barry G wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Probably a basic question, but I just can't seem to find an answer to it. We
> > have a Symantec SMTP Gateway set up with our exchange 2000 server in behind
> > that. We are getting huge volumes of Dictionary type spam bogging down the
> > system.
> >
> > I'd like to beable to have exchange drop the bogus user names coming in and
> > not send out NDR's to those bogas users - clogging up the SMSSMTP server.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions/instructions on this setup.
> > Barry

0
barry1 (69)
3/14/2005 10:11:05 PM
The following product will do what you are looking for.  NOTE Exchange 2003
has this capabilitybuilt in.

http://www.vamsoft.com/default.asp

Geoff Pearce

"Barry" <Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Bill,
> Sorry should have said we use 2000. Querying AD would be exactly what I
> want
> to do. I rightly or wrongly got the impression from Symantec support that
> could do this with our setup - but because I'm having trouble finding it -
> your responce makes total sense. No SMSSMTP 4 does not do AD queries  :-(
>
> However the new version you can 'buy-up' to use Brightmail.
>
> Any other third parties that you know out there or settings in Exch2k
> anyone
> can think off?
>
> Thanks again
>

> "Bill Jackson" wrote:
>
>> Hello Barry,
>>
>> What version of Exchange are you using? If it is Ex 2003, you can
>> configure it not to accept emails for invalid user names. For older
>> versions you have to rely on third party tools.
>>
>> Check if Symantec's Gateway can check Active Directory before accepting
>> messages. We use Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com) in our
>> company and that does query AD before accepting messages. We are using
>> Ex 5.5 and therefore, had to rely on a third party solution.
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> Barry G wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > Probably a basic question, but I just can't seem to find an answer to
>> > it. We
>> > have a Symantec SMTP Gateway set up with our exchange 2000 server in
>> > behind
>> > that. We are getting huge volumes of Dictionary type spam bogging down
>> > the
>> > system.
>> >
>> > I'd like to beable to have exchange drop the bogus user names coming in
>> > and
>> > not send out NDR's to those bogas users - clogging up the SMSSMTP
>> > server.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any suggestions/instructions on this setup.
>> > Barry

Barry,

We use Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com) in our company and it
works really nice. However, I am sure you can find quite a few products
in market that would do this. I wonder why Microsoft did not have this
type of basic feature in their earlier version :-(

Barry wrote:
> Thanks Bill,
> Sorry should have said we use 2000. Querying AD would be exactly what I want
> to do. I rightly or wrongly got the impression from Symantec support that I
> could do this with our setup - but because I'm having trouble finding it -
> your responce makes total sense. No SMSSMTP 4 does not do AD queries  :-(
>
> However the new version you can 'buy-up' to use Brightmail.
>
> Any other third parties that you know out there or settings in Exch2k anyone
> can think off?
>
> Thanks again
>

> "Bill Jackson" wrote:
>

>>Hello Barry,
>>
>>What version of Exchange are you using? If it is Ex 2003, you can
>>configure it not to accept emails for invalid user names. For older
>>versions you have to rely on third party tools.
>>
>>Check if Symantec's Gateway can check Active Directory before accepting
>>messages. We use Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com) in our
>>company and that does query AD before accepting messages. We are using
>>Ex 5.5 and therefore, had to rely on a third party solution.
>>
>>Bill
>>

>>Barry G wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>Probably a basic question, but I just can't seem to find an answer to it. We
>>>have a Symantec SMTP Gateway set up with our exchange 2000 server in behind
>>>that. We are getting huge volumes of Dictionary type spam bogging down the
>>>system.
>>>
>>>I'd like to beable to have exchange drop the bogus user names coming in and
>>>not send out NDR's to those bogas users - clogging up the SMSSMTP server.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any suggestions/instructions on this setup.
>>>Barry

0
anonymous (74719)
3/14/2005 11:53:48 PM
Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for the information - now its time to go shopping!  :-)

Barry

"Bill Jackson" wrote:

> Barry,
>
> We use Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com) in our company and it
> works really nice. However, I am sure you can find quite a few products
> in market that would do this. I wonder why Microsoft did not have this
> type of basic feature in their earlier version :-(
>

> Barry wrote:
> > Thanks Bill,
> > Sorry should have said we use 2000. Querying AD would be exactly what I want
> > to do. I rightly or wrongly got the impression from Symantec support that I
> > could do this with our setup - but because I'm having trouble finding it -
> > your responce makes total sense. No SMSSMTP 4 does not do AD queries  :-(
> >
> > However the new version you can 'buy-up' to use Brightmail.
> >
> > Any other third parties that you know out there or settings in Exch2k anyone
> > can think off?
> >
> > Thanks again
> >

> > "Bill Jackson" wrote:
> >

> >>Hello Barry,
> >>
> >>What version of Exchange are you using? If it is Ex 2003, you can
> >>configure it not to accept emails for invalid user names. For older
> >>versions you have to rely on third party tools.
> >>
> >>Check if Symantec's Gateway can check Active Directory before accepting
> >>messages. We use Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com) in our
> >>company and that does query AD before accepting messages. We are using
> >>Ex 5.5 and therefore, had to rely on a third party solution.
> >>
> >>Bill

0
barry1 (69)

micr configurable stubs
Hi All, Has anyone had to configure checks for GP using configurable stubs for MICR? Are there any tricks to making the process easier or an alternative program to use. Th eprocess so far is painfull as only one item can be selected at a time and each time I add an item it starts in upper left hand corner above other items. Thanks in advance for any insight Lorne Are you using Mekorma? I've used it to configure checks and found it relatively easy to use. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com get your GPtip42today at www.gp2t...

How do you change a word in the spell check dictionary?
While spell checking I inadvertenly added teh to my dictionary. How can I delete this so I can spell check for the wore "the". ...

CRM 4.0 Outlook Client Install/Configuration
I cannot get the Outlook client to configure for any users. The intranet address and internet address are not found. Connectivity has been verified between workstations and crm server. Web clients work ok - thoush some functionality related to custom entities is not behaving properly (lookups not functioning, etc.) Addtionally, CRM is not sending or tracking emails at all. The CRM setup is as follows: Upgraded from 3.0 Win 2K3 Server (fully updated) with SQL 2005 SP2, Reporting Services SP2 Exchange 2003 Server (fully updated) - Email router will not configure. Any suggestions would b...

Configuration
Hello, I just installed Office 7 Home and Student and every time I open Word it says that it has to Configure the program. It doesn't do that with the other programs and it is getting tiresome because it takes a few minutes. Has anyone else had this problem or have some suggestions? Thanks! Jenn ...

Help
I just started a 3 week trip and need to run Money to track spending while I'm away. However, when I start Money, it is trying to install something, and wants the Money CD, which is back at home. Yes, I know I should have tried this before I left, but the laptop with Money hasn't changed - its just out of its docking station. I thought I'd ask on the small chance that someone might have a clue on what might cause this and/or how to get around it. I can't think of any reason for something to be installed, but there must be something. Thanks TM What file(s) is it asking for...

remove word from Excel's custom dictionary
I need to remove an incorrectly spelled word from Excel's custom dictionary. I know how to do this in Word, but can't see where to do it in Excel. It may vary with your Office and Windows versions but my custom dictionary is: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof\Custom.Dic -- Jim Rech Excel MVP That worked. Thank you! When you removed it from word, didn't it disappear from Excel? I think that this is a common element shared by office programs. (I find it easier to use word to clean up the custom dictionary.) Mark wrote: > >...

How to create Release mode configure
Hi all, i am building a project, but i removed default Release configure, and now i try to use Debug config to copy to Release and then change something NDEBUG, Debug info is none, uncheck Generate Debug info any one can help me do this so that i dn't need to create new project again? Turn on optimizations. Do NOT turn off "Generate debug info"; it was a fundamental design error in VS to turn this off. You will need it to read crash dumps coming back from the field. Turn off the various runtime checks. Select the libraries to be the MultiThreaded DLL or for static lin...

configuration
Whwnever I start Windows, Office tries to reconfigure Publisher - how do I stop this? What version Publisher? You receive a "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office XP Pro" error message when you upgrade to Office 2003 or Office 2007 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825941/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "BG" <BG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B81BB44C-05D4-4435-BCED-9DA45DACCB96@microsoft.com... > Whwnever I start Windows, Office tries to reconfigure...

IMAP4 configuration
I need to allow my users to retrieve their mail from my Exchange server while they are away from the office. I have OWA working right now for web-based email, but I am considering stopping that and only using IMAP4 because many of my users have only dial-up access at their homes, and it takes too long for them to connect via OWA. The main people complaining about the currect situation are the executive director and program director, so I'd like to do what I can to keep them happy. However, I need to know how to access the Exchange mailboxes from outside the network. I have tried sev...

Custom dictionary editing not available in Outlook 98 & 2000
I have found that only users with admin rights can get the "edit custom dictionary" button to work within Tools > Options > Spelling in Outlook 98 or Outlook 2000 (the only versions that I have been able to review. Is this the case? I can't find a KB article about it. ...

How do I configure a reminder for attachment passwords?
My company sends attachments (office files) to clients via the internet. They usually password protect these files. Is there anyway to have outlook tell the user that the attachment does not have a password? Sometimes they forget to put the password on the attachment... Thanks, J.R. You would have to write code to do that. Your code would have to intercept the AttachmentAdd event for an open item, check the original item that is being attached by opening it from the file system as a file of the specified type, for example Word doc. Then it would have to use the Word object model to chec...

configuring publlic folder appointment items
Is it possible to configure a public folder that contains appointment items so that entries cannot overlap? i.e. I want to use a public folder for the booking out of a meeting room and if I tick the box for "All Day Event" then I would like it so no one can make another entry for that day - or if some one books it 9 to 11 then no one else should be able to book it for the same time frame am I making sense? No, that's one of the limitations of using a pf as a resource, can't automatically decline, no free busy etc. James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexch...

configurator
Has anyone used the Experlogix Configurator product on CRM? What is opinion of it? Looking to implement it in 06 after upgrading to 3.0. Thanks Hey Wes, My client is in the final stages of implementing Experlogix Configurator on CRM 1.2. They have been extremely happy with both the product and the support. (They have been doing two integration projects at once, and the other 3rd party vendor did not deliver on time, and the client is NOT at all happy with them, so they know the difference...) Experlogix is a lot cheaper than some of the other 3rd party add-ons that do multi-currency an...

Programmatically report the configuration of Windows 2008 granular audit settings
I'm trying to read how the granular audit sub-category settings in Windows 2008 like Logon/Logoff=96Special Logon, Policy Change=96Audit Policy Change etc. are configured on a machine & write this to a .csv file report Is there a way to do this programmatically? For instance, read a certain file or registry values for each sub-category setting? I've read on how to use auditpol.exe & wEvtUtil.exe at the command prompt ...

device configuration via PowerShell
A while ago I asked about setting some pointer device related configuration via PowerShell (specifically the SnapToDefaultButton property). My effort to allow PowerShell to assist me in doing that stalled out at the point where I can tweak the Registry setting associated with SnapToDefaultButton using PowerShell, but that afterwards it requires a reboot of the workstation to get it be effective. Setting that value via Control Panel does not require the reboot. Now I'm wondering what Control Panel does that I'm not doing via PowerShell. I think it must be interactin...

Excel under SL can no longer change dictionaries or access any other than the default one.

Configure
How can I configure Microsoft Outlook and hotmail. What version of Outlook? http://www.slipstick.com/config/ol2000hotmail.htm -- ~jason k please reply in group. emails directly to me will be printed and laughed at in the breakroom "daisyrichardson@hotmail.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:007e01c3cfbf$fd35a3c0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How can I configure Microsoft Outlook and hotmail. ...

workflow configuration
Hi, I have following issues in my GP 10 workflow installation: 1) I have created a single step workflow after activating PO Approval for a TEST company. I could not able to see any workflow list on workflow administration page. I wanted to modify my workflow step which I saved before. But I could not able to do that. I tried with IISRESET. 2) I tried to create a PO and submit for approval in GP by navigating to Transactions>Purchasing<PO Entry. No change on the PO Entry window in GP. Actually there should a msg bar and workflow history pane. I tried to give access rights for th...

Configuration
How do I configure Outlook 2003 with PMB "barry" <barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:343AC4AB-732E-42AA-98BE-9AEEC1376D5E@microsoft.com... > How do I configure Outlook 2003 with PMB Your question may be better answered in an Outlook newsgroup appropriate to your problem. This newsgroup is dedicated to the Microsoft Access database product. The Microsoft website may have misdirected you. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com ...

project accounting dictionary should be merged into standard dic
Many problems seem to be cause because Project Accounting has it's own dictionary. The Project Accounting dictionary should be merged in with the standard dictionary. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Comm...

How do I configure my outlook express?
Can someone pls help me with configuring my new outloook express mizthaing <mizthaing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Can someone pls help me with configuring my new outloook express Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup, see http://www.insideoe.com/, and speak to the support staff of your ISP. -- Brian Tillman ...

Exchange 2007
I am running Exchange 2007 Std w/ SP1. Is there a way to configure some type of notification or alert to immediately tell the sender or the Exchange admin (me) that their mail is stuck in the queue, rather than wait 1-4 hours for a delayed message notification from Exchange? Thanks, Gabe On Mon, 10 May 2010 16:11:46 -0700, "GG" <rng9598@gmail.com> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2007 Std w/ SP1. Is there a way to configure some >type of notification or alert to immediately tell the sender or the Exchange >admin (me) that their mail is stuck in t...

Corporate Configuration
Since we had Windows 2000 several years ago, we had reg-hacked a policy setting for WSUS for our clients, which loaded the information under LM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate... Since we are on Windows XP SP2 going to SP3 we now have 4 separate settings for WSUS which all workstations are in the same OU, so we only have one policy applied. We have two separate locations with a test and prod WSUS settings, which makes 4 different settings depending on location, target group, servername, etc. Is there another place this can be set without pushing a registry...

Configuring Outlook for netscape mail
How do I configure Outlook for my Netscape mail. Cannot find out whether it is POP3 or IMAP Need Incoming & Outgoing mail server Many thanks in advance. roco10 <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I configure Outlook for my Netscape mail. You should be able to find this information on the Netscape mail web site. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't speak for Smiths, and Smiths doesn't speak for me. ...

Outlook 2003 configuration message in Outlook 2007
I recently added Office 2007 and now I continually get this message: Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office 2003. Every e-mail sent and received prompts this message. When I turn on my computer I get an installation message for Office 2003 and then am asked to restart to complete the installation. Whether I restart or not, I get the configuration message constantly. How do I solve this ... get rid of these messages and operate smoothly in Outlook 2007? ...