Configure for Open Relay: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for someone@somewhere.com

Hi

We need to send mail from our SQL Server using an extended stored procedure.

We keep getting the response
550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for someone@somewhere.com

Is there any way around this except configuring the server for Open Relay?

If not how do I do this?
Thanks

Ben3684 (22)

Ben,

If you are sending messages to someone on the Internet you will HAVE to
open relay. Sending to local users should not be a problem. I would
suggest that you use another machine, aside from your Exchange server,
install MS SMTP on it and then open relay on that for the IP address of
your SQL server. This way you won't have to change any settings on Exchange.

Ben wrote:
> Hi
>
> We need to send mail from our SQL Server using an extended stored procedure.
>
> We keep getting the response
> 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for someone@somewhere.com
>
> Is there any way around this except configuring the server for Open Relay?
>
> If not how do I do this?
> Thanks

anonymous (74722)
3/5/2005 5:35:33 PM
Hi

Yes, we do need to send to external email addresses.

We are only running one server (SBS 2k3) and this is the only machine that
is guranteed to be running 24/7, so we will be unable to configure a new
machine.

We are currently using a POP3 connector to download email so our ISA Server
is setup to block incoming SMTP.  This should block Spammers using our
server?

What would be the method of configuring exchange to allow this?

Thanks

"Iqbal Ghasletwala" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ben,
>
> If you are sending messages to someone on the Internet you will HAVE to
> open relay. Sending to local users should not be a problem. I would
> suggest that you use another machine, aside from your Exchange server,
> install MS SMTP on it and then open relay on that for the IP address of
> your SQL server. This way you won't have to change any settings on
> Exchange.
>

> Ben wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> We need to send mail from our SQL Server using an extended stored
>> procedure.
>>
>> We keep getting the response
>> 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for someone@somewhere.com
>>
>> Is there any way around this except configuring the server for Open
>> Relay?
>>
>> If not how do I do this?
>> Thanks

Ben3684 (22)
3/5/2005 6:13:23 PM
You can add the ip address of the SQL server to the "relay
restrictions" dialog box on the VS. It doesnt make you an open relay.

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:57:04 -0000, "Ben" <Ben@NoSpam.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>We need to send mail from our SQL Server using an extended stored procedure.
>
>We keep getting the response
>550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for someone@somewhere.com
>
>Is there any way around this except configuring the server for Open Relay?
>
>If not how do I do this?
>Thanks

adavid (8731)
3/5/2005 7:14:44 PM
To open relay on Exchange go to Exchange
System Manager->
	Servers->
		Your Server->
			Protocols->
				SMTP->
					Default SMTP Server->
						Properties

Then Select the Access Tab->Click on "Relay" button and add the IP
Address of your SQL server in the relay box.

Ben wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yes, we do need to send to external email addresses.
>
> We are only running one server (SBS 2k3) and this is the only machine that
> is guranteed to be running 24/7, so we will be unable to configure a new
> machine.
>
> We are currently using a POP3 connector to download email so our ISA Server
> is setup to block incoming SMTP.  This should block Spammers using our
> server?
>
> What would be the method of configuring exchange to allow this?
>
> Thanks

> "Iqbal Ghasletwala" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Ben,
>>
>>If you are sending messages to someone on the Internet you will HAVE to
>>open relay. Sending to local users should not be a problem. I would
>>suggest that you use another machine, aside from your Exchange server,
>>install MS SMTP on it and then open relay on that for the IP address of
>>your SQL server. This way you won't have to change any settings on
>>Exchange.
>>

>>Ben wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>We need to send mail from our SQL Server using an extended stored
>>>procedure.
>>>
>>>We keep getting the response
>>>550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for someone@somewhere.com
>>>
>>>Is there any way around this except configuring the server for Open
>>>Relay?
>>>
>>>If not how do I do this?
>>>Thanks

db828 (65)
3/6/2005 8:00:43 AM
Hi Dennis and Andy

Thank you for the posts.

Looking at the SMTP VS it seems that it is configured to allow all of the
Server IP addresses to relay, the box is also checked to allow all users
that sucessfully authenticate to relay.  If I uncheck this, do I need to add
the address ranges of all of my Outlook Workstations to this list?

The current version version of the Extended Stored procedure that I am using
does does not support authentication.  What should I check/uncheck to allow
unauthenticated access, until the new version of the SP is developed.

PS SQL Server is running on the same server

Thanks

"Dennis Black" <db@dbnospam.com> wrote in message
> To open relay on Exchange go to Exchange
> System Manager->
> Servers->
> Your Server->
> Protocols->
> SMTP->
> Default SMTP Server->
> Properties
>

> Then Select the Access Tab->Click on "Relay" button and add the IP Address
> of your SQL server in the relay box.
>

> Ben wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Yes, we do need to send to external email addresses.
>>
>> We are only running one server (SBS 2k3) and this is the only machine
>> that is guranteed to be running 24/7, so we will be unable to configure a
>> new machine.
>>
>> We are currently using a POP3 connector to download email so our ISA
>> Server is setup to block incoming SMTP.  This should block Spammers using
>> our server?
>>
>> What would be the method of configuring exchange to allow this?
>>
>> Thanks

>> "Iqbal Ghasletwala" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:eHfuEnaIFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>Ben,
>>>
>>>If you are sending messages to someone on the Internet you will HAVE to
>>>open relay. Sending to local users should not be a problem. I would
>>>suggest that you use another machine, aside from your Exchange server,
>>>install MS SMTP on it and then open relay on that for the IP address of
>>>your SQL server. This way you won't have to change any settings on
>>>Exchange.

Ben3684 (22)
3/6/2005 10:58:48 AM
Who else uses your Exchange server to send emails out? If you have your
server setup as an open relay then authentication does not matter. You
can turn it off. However, make sure your server is not accessible from
the Internet. Go to http://aboutmyip.com from your server machine and
make sure that the "Quick Test" fails against your server - which means
no one can connect from outside.

As far as your configuration goes, setup Outlook Express on that machine
to use your Exchange server as "Outgoing SMTP server", disable
Authentication and send a message to Yahoo, Hotmail or any other domain
on the Internet. If your Exchange accepts messages for these domains
that means that it is configured for open relay, which is what you want.
Refer to http://www.spammarshall.com/SpamMarshallWeb/SMTPRelay.jsp for a
good explaination of what relaying is.

Ben wrote:
> Hi Dennis and Andy
>
> Thank you for the posts.
>
> Looking at the SMTP VS it seems that it is configured to allow all of the
> Server IP addresses to relay, the box is also checked to allow all users
> that sucessfully authenticate to relay.  If I uncheck this, do I need to add
> the address ranges of all of my Outlook Workstations to this list?
>
> The current version version of the Extended Stored procedure that I am using
> does does not support authentication.  What should I check/uncheck to allow
> unauthenticated access, until the new version of the SP is developed.
>
> PS SQL Server is running on the same server
>
> Thanks
>
> "Dennis Black" <db@dbnospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>To open relay on Exchange go to Exchange
>>System Manager->
>>Servers->
>>Your Server->
>>Protocols->
>>SMTP->
>>Default SMTP Server->
>>Properties
>>

>>Then Select the Access Tab->Click on "Relay" button and add the IP Address
>>of your SQL server in the relay box.
>>

>>Ben wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>Yes, we do need to send to external email addresses.
>>>
>>>We are only running one server (SBS 2k3) and this is the only machine
>>>that is guranteed to be running 24/7, so we will be unable to configure a
>>>new machine.
>>>
>>>We are currently using a POP3 connector to download email so our ISA
>>>Server is setup to block incoming SMTP.  This should block Spammers using
>>>our server?
>>>
>>>What would be the method of configuring exchange to allow this?
>>>
>>>Thanks

>>>"Iqbal Ghasletwala" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>>message news:eHfuEnaIFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

db828 (65)

opening e-mail
We just switched from a Gateway to a Dell. The new Outlook Express 6 says: "OE removed access to the following attachment" All my e-mail from work is forwarded to me at home. How can I stop this "access removal from my incoming e- mails from work? Thanks, Marin ...

Reconciliation Report #7
Does anyone know of a painless way to get a reconciliation report after balancing? I have never before used a program that didn't print a report after balancing...weird! Thanks in advance. In microsoft.public.money, pleiadeez7 wrote: >Does anyone know of a painless way to get a reconciliation report after >balancing? I have never before used a program that didn't print a report >after balancing...weird! See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;176329 ...

micr configurable stubs
Hi All, Has anyone had to configure checks for GP using configurable stubs for MICR? Are there any tricks to making the process easier or an alternative program to use. Th eprocess so far is painfull as only one item can be selected at a time and each time I add an item it starts in upper left hand corner above other items. Thanks in advance for any insight Lorne Are you using Mekorma? I've used it to configure checks and found it relatively easy to use. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com get your GPtip42today at www.gp2t...

How do I open the Junk Mail folder in Outlook 2000?
Hi! I can't find a Junk Mail folder to open? All info talks about setting up filters. I am missing messages and would like to see if they have landed in Junk(SPAM) Mail. Please advise and thanks! Dianne C. Dianne C. wrote: > I can't find a Junk Mail folder to open? All info talks about setting up > filters. I am missing messages and would like to see if they have > landed in Junk(SPAM) Mail. There is no Junk folder created by Outlook 2000. That version has no inbuilt spam filter. You'll have to create one if you want to use it, and then spec...

Error Opening Excel from Windows Explorer
When trying to open the file from Windows Explorer I get error message " cannot find the file filename.xls ( or one of its components). Make sure the path and the file name are correct and that all required libraries are available. The Operating system is Windows 98 and has Office XP loaded on it. I ran the command excel /unregserver and excel /regserver. I also Office package, turned the computer on and installed the Office package. No Luck. Did you try this also Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again -- Rega...

Controlling A Window 7 Box From XP
Hi, Is it possible to control a Windows 7 box (a media server) from an XP box? The XP laptop acts as the keyboard and monitor for the Windows 7 box over a wireless LAN. It would be helpful if the Windows 7 box boots in the needed state. Thanks, Gary If no answer here try the Win7 forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro "Abby Brown" <abbybrown@charter.net> wrote in message news:eCZWYmqTLHA.784@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is it possible to control a Windows 7 box (a media server) from an XP box? >...

CRM 4.0 Outlook Client Install/Configuration
I cannot get the Outlook client to configure for any users. The intranet address and internet address are not found. Connectivity has been verified between workstations and crm server. Web clients work ok - thoush some functionality related to custom entities is not behaving properly (lookups not functioning, etc.) Addtionally, CRM is not sending or tracking emails at all. The CRM setup is as follows: Upgraded from 3.0 Win 2K3 Server (fully updated) with SQL 2005 SP2, Reporting Services SP2 Exchange 2003 Server (fully updated) - Email router will not configure. Any suggestions would b...

Opening a Word Merge and Selecting Its Data Source from Access
I have a form that runs data files for Word Merges that create cover letters and floor plans (Word merges the data, and the actual floor plans are cut and pasted from an interactive floor plan online) and then opens the Word Merge documents. Currently I have each Word document hard-linked to a specific file, and the code saves each query to its respective file. That works fine if only one person is running the letters and floor plans. However, when we are busy, we have multiple people doing the assigning of exhibitors, and each is responsible for running the invoices, letters,...

2007 files double start at opening
When I open 2007 files the file opens closes and reopens, is there a way to stop it from doing this? -- Jay ...

How do I open files from a different version?
I have Publisher 2000 and would like to open files from Publisher 2003. I do not have Norton anti-virus or any script blocking software. Please advise. >-----Original Message----- >I have Publisher 2000 and would like to open files from Publisher 2003. I do >not have Norton anti-virus or any script blocking software. Please advise. >. Norton and script blocking software is a red herring and is irrelavent. Have the person with Publisher 2003, save the files as File type: "Publisher 2000 (*.pub)" MyLabCat wrote: > I have Publisher 2000 and would like to open files...

Unable to connect to quotes server
Over the last few weeks, more and more often the update prices option in my portfolio fails as "unable to connect to quotes server". Now it always fails. I've run msmoney -s as a clean up measure. I've attempted to download the latest Money ActiveX controls (as instructed in a forum) but that always fails part way through (typically between 80 and 90%)and claims "Internet connection lost" - which it isn't. Any suggestions? In microsoft.public.money, Michael Long wrote: >Over the last few weeks, more and more often the update >prices option in ...

unable to set the numberformat of the range class
I was graciously given some code to format some cells for different currencies (yen, euro, dollar) based upon selecting the currency in one cell (k5) in my requisition. I got it to work, ready to launch the new form for use by my engineers, so I add protection. Now it seems I cannot protect those cells I want to format, in order for the code to work. Instead I get the error in the subject line of this post. Anyone know the fix? Below is the code, and btw, "worksheet" and "calculate" are the selections made at the top of the code window. Troy Private Sub Worksheet_Calcul...

Configuration
Hello, I just installed Office 7 Home and Student and every time I open Word it says that it has to Configure the program. It doesn't do that with the other programs and it is getting tiresome because it takes a few minutes. Has anyone else had this problem or have some suggestions? Thanks! Jenn ...

Opening File in Excel from IE Shortcut
Excel 2003 I would like to have a shortcut in my IE list of Favorites that opens an Excel file *in* Excel. I created a shortcut to the Excel .EXE file and then tried adding the file name (with full path) to the end of that command, and I've played around with a few other things like changing the Start In value in the shortcut properties, but thus far I have not been able to make this work. The best I've been able to do is make Excel open to a blank worksheet, or to make my worksheet open in IE. But I can't get my worksheet to open in Excel from an IE Favorite. Can this ...

BIFF5 (Excel 5) 255 char limit
I'm generating excel documents via PHP, and am running into a wall with the 255 character limit for a cell in Excel 5 (the format the script exports in). Is there any way around this? If your program outputs to Excel 5 with 255 limit you might find out if the manufacturer of that program allows output to a later file type. I don't know PHP, and Excel can't control how that program outputs. You might try copy and paste directly from the original program into a later version of Excel. -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "ircmaxell" wrote: > I'm generating excel ...

Outlook 2000 not opening.

payroll posting Account setup in GP 7.5
WHich table contains the information displayed on 'payroll posting Account setup'? ...

Help
I just started a 3 week trip and need to run Money to track spending while I'm away. However, when I start Money, it is trying to install something, and wants the Money CD, which is back at home. Yes, I know I should have tried this before I left, but the laptop with Money hasn't changed - its just out of its docking station. I thought I'd ask on the small chance that someone might have a clue on what might cause this and/or how to get around it. I can't think of any reason for something to be installed, but there must be something. Thanks TM What file(s) is it asking for...

OWA Error #5
I've just installed SBS2003 and Exchange 2003. Everything was working great with the exception of OWA. I could connect with any client inside the local network, but not outside (outside of the NAT). Ports 80 and 443/444 were opened to the outside, but to no avail. Permissions for the directories were set out of the box, but still nothing. In messing around with it tonight (changing different permissions and access rules) I've managed to break OWA. When I access the OWA site http:\\server\exchange\ it tries to load it, but ends up with a 500 Internal Server Error. Prior to...

One click from e-mail and the record opened. How ?
Hi, I create a case for example, and automatically it sends an e-mail to X persons with all the specs from that particular case. Of course it's create from a e-mail template. What I need to know is, in that template, can I insert a link, that will open a new window with the record of that case. (Record of the crm inferface for that case.) I've been told stuff about the c360 third-party software e-mail link. But at my view It's only to give an update about a specific case the person is working on. Which is not what I'm looking for. I want the specs of that case, and h...

error opening excel 2000
PC freezes whenever I try to open Excel, I even unistalled and deleted all the .xls and still. Please help. Maybe some of the techniques at Chip Pearson's site will help: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm Oliver wrote: > > PC freezes whenever I try to open Excel, I even unistalled > and deleted all the .xls and still. > > Please help. -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

How do I open internet explorer from outlook 2007?
Could someone please tell me how to open internet explorer from my Outlook 2007 application? rsaint113 wrote: > Could someone please tell me how to open internet explorer from my Outlook > 2007 application? You don't. Outlook is an e-mail client, not a web browser. If you want to load the web browser then do so, like using the desktop shortcut, the QuickLaunch shortcut, the the shortcut under the Start menu, or by running <path>iexplore.exe at a command line. ...

How to create Release mode configure
Hi all, i am building a project, but i removed default Release configure, and now i try to use Debug config to copy to Release and then change something NDEBUG, Debug info is none, uncheck Generate Debug info any one can help me do this so that i dn't need to create new project again? Turn on optimizations. Do NOT turn off "Generate debug info"; it was a fundamental design error in VS to turn this off. You will need it to read crash dumps coming back from the field. Turn off the various runtime checks. Select the libraries to be the MultiThreaded DLL or for static lin...

1)How to search for blank fields? 2)How to track Payments ??
Two completely seperate questions... 1 - Have a table with bunch of fields & ten of those fields may be blank. How can I search multiple fields at once using a query... say fields M through X... and see if any of those fields... in any of 40,000 records... have data in them? 2 - I have a tblAccounts, tblOrders and tblOrderItems in my db. The orders may be delivered over several months and the customers may pay all up front, in 2 or 3 equal payments at monthly intervals, or pay so much per month over the course of delivery. How do you design the table structure for payments? Do you have ...

Romve Third Party Connector from Exchange 5.5
Hi everyone, My platform is Win NT4 SP6 and exchange 5.5 SP4. Can anyone please let me know the procedure to remove GoldFax connector from exchange because I am getting replication errors with the eventid 2037. Thanks in advance. You probably need to remove the extensions from your recipient container(s) in Exchange Admin raw mode unless the applicaiton has an uninstall routine. I strongly recommend contacting the vendor directly for instructions on how to do this. Hacking the product out of Exchange could leave your organization in a non-operational state and would likely require a...