Communication between Exchange 5.5 servers

We just got a second Exchange 5.5 server.  Both of them
are running on WIN2K.  The servers are physically located
at different locations, but we are leaning more towards
configuring them to be in the same site so that we can
utilize the "Move Mailbox"  feature.

My question is, with the servers being within the same
site, is there a way to control when the servers
communicate with each other, to limit the use of our WAN
during peak hours?

I will greatly appreciate any information you provide me.

Best regards,
Roger Settle
roger_settle@yahoo.com

No.  Putting them in the same means they can and will communicate with each
other always.  If they can't your design will not work.  Put them in in
separate sites and use x.400 connector to connect them.  That can be
scheduled.  If they are in different locations and you are maxing out your
bandwidth, this would be a better choice in general.

--

Michael Abbaticchio
Exchange Server MVP

"Roger Settle" <roger_settle@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote in message
> We just got a second Exchange 5.5 server.  Both of them
> are running on WIN2K.  The servers are physically located
> at different locations, but we are leaning more towards
> configuring them to be in the same site so that we can
> utilize the "Move Mailbox"  feature.
>

> My question is, with the servers being within the same
> site, is there a way to control when the servers
> communicate with each other, to limit the use of our WAN
> during peak hours?
>
> I will greatly appreciate any information you provide me.
>
> Best regards,
> Roger Settle
> roger_settle@yahoo.com

0
nospam6185 (535)
12/6/2003 12:47:37 AM
> My question is, with the servers being within the same
> site, is there a way to control when the servers
> communicate with each other, to limit the use of our WAN
> during peak hours?

Microsoft published a "white paper" on Exchange 5.5 inter-server
communication and replication problems.  They came up with a single set of
recommended Registry and Information Store settings that reduce inter-server
traffic while still ensuring timely updates between servers.

Where was that article... oh yes, here:

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266044>

I used this on a five-server, four-office network, interconnected with DSL
and IPSec.  After making these changes I noticed considerable inter-office
bandwidth savings.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
What's a PGP Key?  See <http://www.pan-am.ca/free.html>

0
gordonf (20)

Exchange 2003 SP2 and RPC error
Have anyone encounter an RPCServ.exe error after applying SP2 to an enterprise Exchange 2003 SP1 running on a Windows 2003 enterprise edition with SP1. The exchange is in a one domain and one organization configuration with McAfee GroupShield for Exchange SP2 and McAfee antivirus v8. i patch 11 .. We have never experienced this error until we applied SP2 to the Exchange 2003 server. The exact error is: Application Error Category (100) Event ID 1000 Faulting application RPCServ.exe, version 1.0.886.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x000224b2. Everyti...

Migration from Exchange 2000 to 2003
I have added an Exchange 2003 server to an existing Exchange 2000 environment. Mail2 is the Ex 2000 server and mail3 is the new 2003 server. I have both running to test the migration and have run into the following problem. Mail sent from mailboxes on the EX2003 server will hang in the queue. This is in intermittent issue. Sometimes the mail will be delivered, sometimes it just hangs until an NDR is generated. The event viewer on mail3 (Exchange 2003) shows an event id 977 with the following text Following connector fails to connect to its target bridge head. CN=Internet Mail Service (MA...

How to realize communication problem?
Hello everybody. I am working on a project in which I read/write data via rs-232 from/to my Windows application to/from an microcontroller. Now, my boss wants me to write a library which he can use for different microcontrollers. This library should store any changes of data. So the desired microcontroller should just be able to pick up the data. You can think of it this way: Me, representing the Windows application, put a sheet of information into a drawer. A buddy of mine, (representing a microcontroller) can go to the drawer an pick up the sheet for further treatment. So, my quest...

Permission in Exchange 2007
Hi, How do we give permission to an exchange 2007 server to an account from a different forest with trust between them. I have 2 forests with Exchange 2003 and 2007 serves in them. I want to give permission to the 2003 account to the 2k7 server In 2003 server we see the properties on the Server node and from the security tab we can select the users from the trusted domain. But when I try to open the delegate wizard from the 2k7 server it does not show the users from the trusted domain Thansk Ravi ...

failed exchange database restore
Have backed up the "first storage Group", and dilligently backing up every day, The server HDD crash lossing everything, had to rebuild the server from scratch, restored the data OK, but now come to restore the "mailboxes" but on the right pain of the backup screen is says no entries! Have looked at several tapes and on another server using MS backup and they all say "no entries found" yet there appears to be backing up the mailboxes. I have followed the instruction from begining to end and still the restore fails. Need urgent help as it is Saturday and ne...

Outlook 2003 Exchange 2003 DST
Hello: First a bit of history: Last week, in preparation for DST, we selected a few of our remote offices and ran all the appropriate patches in sequence (as stated in http://support.microsoft.com/gp/dst_topissues) on Windows 2000 and XP machines hosting Outlook 2003, and Windows 2000 Servers hosting Exchange 2003. After patches were applied, the very thing we were trying to preempt (i.e. Outlook appointments moving up an hour) happened. Because of this, we decided not to update the remainder 65 offices (each office with a Windows 2000 Server hosting Exchange 2003), and instead waited to see...

Can I install exchange on client
I have a win2000 domain server and one of my clients has intrnet access can i instal exchange on this client? then other compuer download email from this computer Not sure what you mean by client - do you mean a computer running a client OS like Windows XP? Exchange 2000 can be installed on Windows 2000 Server (not on Windows Server 2003) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262068&sd=tech Exchange 2003 can be installed on both Windows 2000 and 2003 Server. http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/sysreqs/2003.mspx The server can be either a Domain Controller ...

Slow or no communication at all
Hello all. Since I'm new around here, please let me know if this is the right place to post this. I've been checking these forums for a long time now, but fortunately I always found what I was looking for and never had the need to post. For that, I want to thank you all for the tremendous work (and help) everyone participating here have been given throughout these years. The problem that brings me here today, relates not entirely to the SBS 2003. What happens is that we have several MAC OS machines connecting to several shares in a SBS 2003. Everything was ok untill one o...

Questions about Exchange Calendar Update Tool
I posted a similar post over at the exchangeteam blog, but thought I'd put one out here as well. We're running Exchange 2003 SP2 on a 2 node cluster running Server 2003 SP1. We have a mix of users that use Outlook on XP, Outlook Web Access users, and Mac users that use Entourage. Entourage interfaces with Exchange via OWA so I cound them as OWA users. Most of the clients have been patched for Daylight savings time, but we have yet to update the OS's for the Exchange cluster or Exchange itself. I've been working with the Calendar Update Tool in a test environment and have c...

Sync compaq ipaq with Exc 5.5
HI My MD wants to sync his compaq ipaq qith our exchange 5.5 server. I see Mobile information services is only available in 2000 and 2003. Is there any software microsoft or 3rd party that will allow me to do this in exchange 5.5. Thanks Nick Surely for one person you'd just use ActiveSync on the desktop? If you've got cash to blow then you might as well plan for the migration to E2K3 and use either OMA or Lee's application www.leederbyshire.com >-----Original Message----- >HI > >My MD wants to sync his compaq ipaq qith our exchange 5.5 >server. I see...

exchange server 2003 #10
Hi, we're having a problem sending e-mail to one specific domain. It keeps getting rejected: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: Subject Sent: 14/3/2007 10:19 The following recipient(s) cannot be reached: user1@otherdomain.com on 14/3/2007 10:19 You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <server.domain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <me@domain.com>... Rejected - reputation> user2@otherdomain.com on 14/3/2007 10:19 ...

BCM and Exchange
When you use Exchange with Outlook 2003 BCM is automatically shut down. I know there is a registry hack to re-enable it but I can't find it. Any idea where it could be? TIA Stefano It is not supported in the RTM. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Stefano <Fritzly@nospam.hotmail.com> asked: | When you use Exchange with Outlook 2003 BCM is automatically shut | down. I kno...

How to communicate between threads?
Hi, there I used "AfxBeginThread()" to run a background working thread, while keeping the displaying thread. Because I got many file names in working thread, I want to show them in the displaying thread. How to get those CStringArray pointer from working thread? Thanks Gary On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:31:07 -0700, "Gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, there, > >I used "AfxBeginThread()" to run a background working thread, while keeping the displaying thread. Because I got many file names in working thread, I want to show them i...

Exchange 2000 Recovery Server
Hello, We need to create a recovery server for Exchange 2000. The production Exchange server is a member server. I know that we need to create another Win 2K AD, to limit the amount of hardware used can this recovery server also be installed on the domain controller or will they need to be on seperate servers to match the production enviornment? Thanks You can absolutely put you recovery server and DC all on the same server (just make sure it is in its own AD forest and own Exchange org). "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DE2E823-62FC-440C...

Communicating
Hello! I am writning a program that will communicate with a server (Linux) using RS232 or TCP/IP. The server is using the same protocol for both. The protocol is rather 'chatty', so for each command there is a lot of sending and receiving. I have created a test program for the RS232 communication using blocking. It works but the program freezes until the communication is done... So I thinking about using some kind of event driven way. I have looked at Mr. Ramon de Klein's serial classes, and they look very good http://www.codeproject.com/system/serial.asp However I need t...

CDOEXM removing exchange attributes
Hi, I can't seem to find a remove exchange attributes within the CDOEXM com object. Would anyone know of such a method, that is I would like to first remove then re-add exchange attributes to a few hundred users. thx jason I don't believe there is anything in CDOEXM that is equivalent to "Remove attributes" the closest this would be the old killuser utility which you can get from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/pss/tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/killmailuser/ .. The list of attributes this removes is not as comprehensive as "Remove attributes" eg http://suppo...

Outlook 2003 to Exchange 2003 stays Offline/Disconnected
Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this problem. This past weekend I upgraded my home system to 300GB SATA RAID1 for redundancy. I preinstalled the drivers for the new RAID adapter and used Ghost to transfer everything to my new drives. Windows booted off of the new hardware just fine and all my apps continued to work as expected when using Ghost. When I brought home my system from the office last night though I noticed that Outlook refused to connect to my Exchange2k3 server back at the office. My home machine is running Win2k Server and is not part of the domain. I am not u...

Exchange 5.5 on Exchange 2000 CD
I was told there would be a copy of Exchange 5.5 on the Exchange 2000 CD, but I can not find it. Does anyone know where the setup file would be? Thank you. --Travis There is no Exchange 5.5 server on the 2000 CD. You will need another CD namely the 5.5 CD. "Travis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08ef01c3c678$d86b1f20$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I was told there would be a copy of Exchange 5.5 on the > Exchange 2000 CD, but I can not find it. Does anyone know > where the setup file would be? Thank you. > > --Travis ...

Networking Outlook #5
In my home, I have 3 computers, all with Outlook 2002. I wish to set up a network, and be able to publish a calendar for the entire family to use. I hope I'm saying this right. Computer 1 is in my office, computer 2 in the family room, computer 3 is in my wife's room. If I make a change on my calendar, I wish it to be shown on the calendar on the other 2 machines, and the same with theirs to my computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. ....some options here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certifi...

URGENT: Outlook 2003 / Exchange 2003 SP1 communication ports.
Hi, If anyone could help me with this I would be more than grateful. We have moved our Exchange Server to a DMZ with public address space, we are trying to connect Outlook 2003 clients to the server from our private address space. The routing is all set up correctly as we can ping both ways which leads me to believe it's a port problem, i.e. I haven't opened enough up. I've searched TechNet for the relevant documents and have made the needed changes where necessary. I have set a high static port in the registry on the exchange server and our domain controllers for RPC AD re...

Upgrade from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2003 Enterprise
My understanding is that all that is required to upgrade to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition from Exchange 2003 Standard, is to install right over the existing Exchange server. Is this true? I have done this with Exchange 5.5 and it worked great. so I guess it would work OK for E2003 also, but try this in a lab environment Why would you upgrade? /LasseP "Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0AB1CCA0-B920-4101-B904-414D43E320FC@microsoft.com... > My understanding is that all that is required to upgrade to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Editi...

Automating mass Outlook connection to Exchange
We are bringing Echange 2003 in house (currently our pop email is being out-sourced). I need to connect all user's Outlooks to connect to the Exchange server. Is there a way, like a script or something that I can do this automatically, instead of me sitting in front of 90computers? I'd appreciate being pointed to the right direction. Thanks, hi, you can a assist ExProfre.EX http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=56f45ac3-448f-4ccc-9bd5-b6b52c13b29c&displaylang=en -- "John Smith" wrote: > We are bringing Echange 2003 in house (current...

exchange server and pop3 connectors
I have an exchange2003 server set up to retrieve my client's e-mail from an outside pop server. The accounts can send and receive e-mail. The from address when sending out is correct (xxx@mydomain.org), however when you try to reply to the e-mail you get an undeliverable error and the header looks like it is trying to reply to their interna domain, which is unrecognizable on the internet (mydomain.local). Any suggestions? Get your client to have their mail sent directly to the Exchange server and remove the external POP server from the equation. This is one of the oh-so-many ...

Can i move The Companyweb from SBS 2003 to a 2008 Standard Server.
Hallo NG, i'm replacing a Win SBS 2003 to many 2008 Server like seperatly DC, Exchange, Application and so on. Now i regonized, that on the sbs is the companyweb website installed. Can i move / migrate it to an standard Server? And how can i do that? Many Thanks for all answers. Thanks Stefan Klinger This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_008C_01CB3329.A6968870 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Its a standard Windows Sharepoint Services 2.0 site You might check the technet ...

Firewire communication
Hi guys, I am trying to interact with a camera through firewire. I wrote a code based on the example given in MSDN. When I execute the code it always return the value 1 no matter whether the device is connected or disconnected. Please let me know what went wrong, i couldnt figure out the problem so for. My code is as follows. -------------------------------------- void CFireDlg::OnDeviceNotify() { // TODO: Add your control notification handler code here CString cs; bool bDevInterResult=FALSE; HDEVNOTIFY *hdn=NULL; bDevInterResult = DoRegisterDeviceInterface(GUID_MP1394MI,...