Circular Logging

Can circular logging in Exchange 2003 really free up 20 GB
of hard disk space?  I enabled it and I was amazed to see
my free space five-fold.
0
Josh6755 (1)

yip, not necessarily 20mb but just make sure u backup the transaction logs,
u will need when u do a restore of your database.

"Josh" <Josh@puzzled.com> wrote in message
> Can circular logging in Exchange 2003 really free up 20 GB
> of hard disk space?  I enabled it and I was amazed to see
> my free space five-fold.

0
mikeg452 (3)
10/5/2004 1:13:14 PM
Josh wrote:
> Can circular logging in Exchange 2003 really free up 20 GB
> of hard disk space?  I enabled it and I was amazed to see
> my free space five-fold.

Yes, but circular logging is not a good idea. You need to be doing regular
(nightly?) online backups of your Exchange stores using Exchange-aware
backup software. This will purge the committed logs, and also mean you stand
a chance of being able to recover from disaster.

0
lanwench (7567)
10/5/2004 1:38:38 PM
> Yes, but circular logging is not a good idea. You need to be doing regular
> (nightly?) online backups of your Exchange stores using Exchange-aware
> backup software. This will purge the committed logs, and also mean you
stand
> a chance of being able to recover from disaster.

Yes, true whereby I still dont understand that we have in the 3rd century
always
to cater for software malfunctions. Imagine you buy a Mercedes but Daimler
Chrysler
tells you that its better to buy a 2nd one for the likely case the 1st stops

GRRR

0
foo8852 (2)
10/5/2004 2:51:47 PM
enabling circular logging prevents you from ever doing an
up-to-the-moment-of-failure recovery, in the event of catastrophic
failure...not recommended, at all...

"Josh" <Josh@puzzled.com> wrote in message
> Can circular logging in Exchange 2003 really free up 20 GB
> of hard disk space?  I enabled it and I was amazed to see
> my free space five-fold.

0
susan7353 (1225)
10/5/2004 3:09:23 PM
Martin Foo wrote:
>> Yes, but circular logging is not a good idea. You need to be doing
>> regular (nightly?) online backups of your Exchange stores using
>> Exchange-aware backup software. This will purge the committed logs,
>> and also mean you stand a chance of being able to recover from
>> disaster.
>>

> Yes, true whereby I still dont understand that we have in the 3rd
> century always
> to cater for software malfunctions. Imagine you buy a Mercedes but
> Daimler Chrysler
> tells you that its better to buy a 2nd one for the likely case the
> 1st stops ..

Who has to buy anything to do online backups? :-)

> GRRR

0
lanwench (7567)
10/5/2004 3:41:45 PM
I back up all the mailboxes nightly, so is circular
logging good for my case?

0
anonymous (74717)
10/5/2004 8:38:29 PM
the only time it's acceptable to enable circular logging is on a server that
has no mailboxes or public folders on it, such as a "connector"
server...even if you back up, if your backup completes at say 11:30 p.m.,
and your server crashes the next day at say 8:00 p.m., and you have enabled
circular logging, you would only be able to restore data to the point when
your last backup was taken...the transaction log files that contain all the
information about emails after that would not exist...

> I back up all the mailboxes nightly, so is circular
> logging good for my case?

0
susan7353 (1225)
10/5/2004 8:42:53 PM
The ONLY server I would ever consider enabling circular logging on is a
bridgehead server that does not house mailboxes, or a Front-end server.
Circular logging should not be used on mailbox servers.  Full online backups
will purge log files that have already been committed to the database.
Mailbox level backups will not purge log files, and cannot be used in the
event of a server failure.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

>I back up all the mailboxes nightly, so is circular
> logging good for my case?

0
Ben
10/5/2004 8:45:24 PM
Thank you very much for your quick reply, greatly
appreciated.  My mind may rest now.

0
anonymous (74717)
10/5/2004 8:47:25 PM
Circular logging is OK when the server is not being used to host mailboxes
or public folders.  If you enable it, you are limited to point in time
restores, although I would venture to guess, that if you recovered 20GB's
you were not doing Exchange DB backups in the first place.

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

"Josh" <Josh@puzzled.com> wrote in message
> Can circular logging in Exchange 2003 really free up 20 GB
> of hard disk space?  I enabled it and I was amazed to see
> my free space five-fold.

0
nospam6185 (535)

Circular Logging #5
I have a Exchange 2000 server with circular logging turned ON. If I do a nightly FULL backup then circular logging being ON should not really matter, right? We do not do incremental or differentail backups. thanks Well, consider the following. You backup at midnight. Your server fails at 2pm and you lose your database drive. With circular logging on, you can only recover your system back to the state it was in at midnight, i.e. you lose emails from midnight to 2pm. Best practice is to ensure circular logging is off. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips...

Circular text
How do I create circular text? ...

could not allocate space in a Registry log
Hello all, I use exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 platform. When i tried to create a mailbox for a new user, i got the following error msg: "System could not allocate the required space in a Registry log". Pls what can I do to correct this and also to prevent a future occurrence. Your urgent response will be appreciated. ...

Excessive Transaction Logging
Hi recently done an upgrade of Exchange 5.5 to 2003. The are around 150 users in this system, all now residing on the 2003 server Since moving users upgrade the Exchange 2003 I have noticed there seems to be a large amount of transaction logs being created, usually aroung 1gb per 24 hours, this is much more than the 5.5 server did, or any other Exchange Server I know of supporting a simiar amount of users Looking at Message tracking I couldnt see any mail that looks like its is looping etc. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this Thanks John For starters, stop virtual S...

When I open up Outlook 2003 it says "Logging enabled"
When I open up Outlook 2003 it says "Logging enabled" in the title bar. First, where can I see these logs and second, how do I turn it off? I've never noticed the title bar change but maybe it's diagnostic logging. There's more info about that here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300479 "Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message news:3rcqrlFiquijU1@individual.net... > When I open up Outlook 2003 it says "Logging enabled" in the title bar. > First, where can I see these logs and second, how do I turn it off? Th...

Log into GP 10
We are going to GP 10 soon, it is currently on a test machine. I have created a user, added to a role, with the relevant access. But, when I try to log in, I am going past the login screen, I am seeing the company access, but after that there is a blank screen. Please help, what have I missed? I have seen this happen before and it has to do with the Home Page not being populated. A couple of things to check, first make sure the user has been assigned the DEFAULT USER role - if that doesn't work, try deleting the user and then when you add them again select a home page rol...

Frequency Circular Reference
I posted a message a few hours ago regarding my problem with a frequency formula I was trying to use with students' grades on a spread sheet. Biff answered and solved my problem. I did what he suggested and it worked!! (A copy of my problem and Biff's response is below this paragraph.) Then I hit a key by mistake and the whole thing got screwed up. So, armed with Biff's solution, I entered the same information Biff suggested, in the exact cell cells and rows, but now it does not work! I am totally flumoxed since it worked 5 minutes ago. Anyway, if Biff is out there, o...

can log as local user but can't as domain user
Hi, i just redeployed my CRM server and i got a big issues. I can log as local user, it mean if i log to crm using crmservername \username i can log, if i use domainname\username i can't and if i only use username i can. The problem is for using outlook i need domain name log in. If somebody have an idea it will be helpfull. thx Hi, After you logon as a local user, can you go add your domain username as a new crm user. After that, will you able to logon? Darren Liu Crowe Chizek and Company http://www.crowecrm.com On Jun 6, 10:22 am, abdel.otm...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > i ...

log on screen for email
When I open my email I keep getting a screen that asks me to logon, I have selected "remember my password" and it still keeps asking then I get a message that says, unable to send or receive email.......blah,blah,blah,blah...blah........... why am I getting this, I have to close email open it again, and sometimes it works, or other times not so quick using vista home premium 64 bit, WLM any help would be appreciated. thanks The error message that you indicate says "blah, blah...", we need to see = it in its entirety. Right-click on your er...

Outlook 2003 Synch Log Errors
One of my users has brought to my attention that in your Outlook 2003 client there is a folder "Synchronization Log" that populates with error information multiple times a day. It is as follows: Offline Address Book, Error: 0X8004010F. I have her Outlook 2003 running in Caching mode and It is pulling from an Exchange 2000 server. We are in the process of upgrading that to 2003. Is it safe to assume that the cause of these errors are Exchange 2000 not playing well with Outlook 2003? Is there a way to turn off this reporting? If not, I've already informed her to ignore ...

Logging on to crystal APS
I need to edit some reports, but I can't connect to the APS. What would the default name of the APS be. I set up CRM "by the Book". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks The user name should be "administrator", and the password should have been set on the CRM server via the Crystal Configuration Manager. -Gary "Raymond" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04fd01c3d9e2$6849d010$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to edit some reports, but I can't connect to the > APS. What would the default name of the APS be. I set up >...

Circular or semi-circular chart
Hi, I would like to have a chart in a circular or semi-circular form. Idea is to have a visual depiction like that of any meter (measurement apparatus) that we see in day-to-day non-IT usage. The reading to be shown as a "needle" pointing to a value. To visulaize, think of the car speed-o-meter that is usually circular and the existing speed is shown by the needle. Are there any good tutorials or tips available on the net that I can consult? Many thanks in anticipation. Have a look at http://www.andypope.info/charts/gauge.htm http://www.brainbell.com/tutorials/ms-office/e...

How to Write one Log file in Multi Thread program
���� MIME ��ʽ�ľ��кܶಿ����Ϣ�� ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C33EE2.566EF870 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How to Write one Log file in Multi Thread program. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C33EE2.566EF870 Content-Type: text/html; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dgb2312"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.246...

Logging CC transactions
When I pay a credit card from my checking I select the catorgy Credit Card Payment: MasterCard. When I look at the MasterCard account and look at the payment the catagory is empty. What should i put in that catagory. I have tried to put transfer from Checking but that seems to cause double entries in my checking account. In microsoft.public.money, Steven C. wrote: >When I pay a credit card from my checking I select the catorgy Credit Card >Payment: MasterCard. > >When I look at the MasterCard account and look at the payment the catagory >is empty. What should i put in t...

Display count of currently logged on users
Is there a way to display how many users are currently logged on to PWA.. Anything similar would do, like number of authenticated users, number of active sessions etc..? You can run performance monitor and look at the concurrent users counter from the Web service object, and select the PWA web site. This is a per server count so if you have more than one server in your farm you will have to total the numbers. Hope this helps -- Ray McCoppin http://www.randsmanagement.com Project Server 2007 Archive Tool Project Server 2007 Automation Tools SRS gantt charts "...

wish to paste a photo on a record album giving it the circular loo
will this software permit me to cut, copy or paste a picture to a record album to give it a circluar look? trying to do a cover for a reunion book. found pictur of the perfect record album on micrsoft clip art. -- JANICE Here's something I saved from a recent post by Brian Kvalheim. Here Brian speaks to an oval but all you need to do is round out the oval when you get to that step. The instructions are accurate, just take it slow as you go through them and you will have excellent results. Don (Many thanks Brian) Creating Oval pictures in Publisher 2000 by Brian Kvalheim 1. Open Mi...

XP Home Log on screen
I've had a hard disk failure and had it replaced. XP Home reinstalled and everything OK - the logon screen did not appear and the computer booted up. I installed .NET Framework 1.1 and 2 to allow some programmes to operate. Now when I start my computer, I get the logon screen and have to click it to continue the bootup. It also appears after the computer has been in hibernation. I'd like to get back to the previous state where it would boot up without having to logon. I found this fix for stopping the reappearance after hibernation "Disabling prompt for passwo...

circular references
how do I eliminate circular references within a document? Correct formulas so that they do not include themselves? Better yet -- Excel has a very good section in their online help regarding Circular refernces "victoria" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:003701c3998b$067dd6c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... : how do I eliminate circular references within a document? The mechanics of removing CRs are simple: Choose View/Toolbars/Circular reference, and use the dropdown to identify the cells with formulae that are dependent on their own output (perhaps via...

Logging users accessing a spreadsheet
Looking for a way to log (on a sheet within a workbook) all users that access the spreadsheet and when. Is this possible using wither VBA or other method? Many thanks. DT Do the users have access to a share that they can write to? If yes, you could have a macro that adds a line to a tab delimited text file when they open the file (macros must be enabled, though). Rightclick on the excel icon to the left of the File option (on the worksheet menubar). Select view code and paste this into the code window: Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_Open() Dim LogDir As String Dim LogF...

SMTP Logging #3
If the attachment size threshold has been exceeded, where does the SMTP virutal server log the attachment/message denial? I looked in the c:\windows\system32\logs\w3svc but couldn't find anything. Thanks! um - I don't think it would be logged under the w3svc - those are the web server logs. Make sure that you have SMTP logging enabled, then look in the same location, except smtpsvc1 instead of w3svc. To check if SMTP logging is enabled, go to the properties of the SMTP Virtual Server under Protocols, SMTP in ESM. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Scott" &l...

Circular?
Hello All, On the bottom of my excel window, in the bottom left corner it says ready (it has always said that), on the bottom right corner, what is printed varies "num", "Ovr", etc... I know what all these designations mean... however today I noticed on the left side under the tab for sheet3 it says circular... what does this mean? it appears on all my open workbooks. Thanks, Shhhh It means that you have a circular reference, which is a formula that directly or indirectly refers to itself. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Cons...

allow user to disable annoying warning dialog on log charts
I know perfectly well that I can't plot negative values on a log chart. That doesn't mean that my data doesn't have negative numbers in it. For years I've been trying to outsmart Excel so that it effectively ignores negative data on log plots, but it seems to me that it should simply happen (like it does in most other mathematical tools). If the user isn't smart enough to know that he can't plot negative numbers on a log scale, well, warn him by default, if you must, but allow the skilled user to disable the message! It is incredibly annoying, and it reduces ...

Custom Log Scaling
Is there a way to customize the log base for a chart axis? I would like to have the x-axis to be N^1.85. Thanks Courtney Schultz [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting with an email copy to C Schultz. Please use the newsgroup for further discussion.] In a separate column, use whatever transformation you want to implement (X^1.85 in your example). Then, use this new column as the X-values for your chart. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In arti...

Log of all Sign ins
My Windows Live Messenger for Blackberry (bold 9000) records / logs all usernames signed in. i want to shut this logging off so it does not remember any sign-ins ...

XML Serialisation & Circular References #2
I have been able to get simple circular references to be serialized in xml by using the ImportTypeMapping method on the SoapReflectionImporter class. But I am unable to serialise circular references when the circular reference is contained with in a collection class, specifically I am using a custom ArrayList object. I keep getting a StackOverFlow Exception from the XmlSerializer class when attempting the serialisation. The classes are: Class A, Class B - this is derived from System.Collection.ArrayList Class C. Class A contains an instance of B Class B contains multiple instances of C Cl...