Circular Logging #5

I have a Exchange 2000 server with circular logging turned ON.  If I do a
nightly FULL backup then circular logging being ON should not really matter,
right?  We do not do incremental or differentail backups.

thanks
0
wli2k2 (48)

Well, consider the following.  You backup at midnight.  Your server fails at
2pm and you lose your database drive.  With circular logging on, you can
only recover your system back to the state it was in at midnight, i.e. you
lose emails from midnight to 2pm.

Best practice is to ensure circular logging is off.

--
Neil Hobson
Exchange MVP

For Exchange news, links, and tips, check:
http://www.msexchangeblog.com

"wli2k2" <wli2k2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Exchange 2000 server with circular logging turned ON.  If I do a
> nightly FULL backup then circular logging being ON should not really
> matter,
> right?  We do not do incremental or differentail backups.
>
> thanks

0
neil.hobson (1158)
7/11/2005 8:49:23 PM
The only reason I can think of for using circular logging is if you are
extremely space limited or (for some bizarre reason unable to run NTBACKUP
nightly). In that scenario, you must get more space...

Even with nightly backups, you need the log files to be able to fully
recover from a failure.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"wli2k2" <wli2k2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Exchange 2000 server with circular logging turned ON.  If I do a
> nightly FULL backup then circular logging being ON should not really
> matter,
> right?  We do not do incremental or differentail backups.
>
> thanks

0
rasilon1 (689)
7/12/2005 8:10:28 AM
If you backup every night I would have circular turned off. The Exchange
backup will clear the logs and save them to tape.

"wli2k2" <wli2k2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Exchange 2000 server with circular logging turned ON.  If I do a
> nightly FULL backup then circular logging being ON should not really
> matter,
> right?  We do not do incremental or differentail backups.
>
> thanks

0
exchange.mvp (559)

Condensing 5 sheets into 1?
Alrighty, what we have here is 5 individuall reports that are created by 5 different people here in our office. The layout is identical on each of the 5 sheets, what I want though is for there to be a master automatically filling out using all 5 sheets. At the moment, at the end of the month we cut and paste the info from all 5 sheets and put them all together, but I'm working on getting running stats, so I need this to be compiled automatically. These will all be seperate sheets of the same book btw Any help appreciated -Bob Hi Bob Try http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy2.htm -- Regard...

Circular Logging #5
I have a Exchange 2000 server with circular logging turned ON. If I do a nightly FULL backup then circular logging being ON should not really matter, right? We do not do incremental or differentail backups. thanks Well, consider the following. You backup at midnight. Your server fails at 2pm and you lose your database drive. With circular logging on, you can only recover your system back to the state it was in at midnight, i.e. you lose emails from midnight to 2pm. Best practice is to ensure circular logging is off. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips...

Circular text
How do I create circular text? ...

could not allocate space in a Registry log
Hello all, I use exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 platform. When i tried to create a mailbox for a new user, i got the following error msg: "System could not allocate the required space in a Registry log". Pls what can I do to correct this and also to prevent a future occurrence. Your urgent response will be appreciated. ...

Why am I getting this only on one user. We are running exchange 2003 single forest 2 domains, one exchange server in each domain, I can send mail to the user buy clicking new mail and picking their name off the GAL and it works. When that person mails me it works, when I click reply And try to send the reply it gets kicked back. I have looked at the users properties under delivery restrictions and it says everyone. My mailbox is in the first domain and the problem users box is in the other domain. otherwise the system is working fine, The user can send mail to anyone in our domain but w...

Excessive Transaction Logging
Hi recently done an upgrade of Exchange 5.5 to 2003. The are around 150 users in this system, all now residing on the 2003 server Since moving users upgrade the Exchange 2003 I have noticed there seems to be a large amount of transaction logs being created, usually aroung 1gb per 24 hours, this is much more than the 5.5 server did, or any other Exchange Server I know of supporting a simiar amount of users Looking at Message tracking I couldnt see any mail that looks like its is looping etc. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this Thanks John For starters, stop virtual S...

When I open up Outlook 2003 it says "Logging enabled"
When I open up Outlook 2003 it says "Logging enabled" in the title bar. First, where can I see these logs and second, how do I turn it off? I've never noticed the title bar change but maybe it's diagnostic logging. There's more info about that here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300479 "Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message news:3rcqrlFiquijU1@individual.net... > When I open up Outlook 2003 it says "Logging enabled" in the title bar. > First, where can I see these logs and second, how do I turn it off? Th...

Frequency Circular Reference
I posted a message a few hours ago regarding my problem with a frequency formula I was trying to use with students' grades on a spread sheet. Biff answered and solved my problem. I did what he suggested and it worked!! (A copy of my problem and Biff's response is below this paragraph.) Then I hit a key by mistake and the whole thing got screwed up. So, armed with Biff's solution, I entered the same information Biff suggested, in the exact cell cells and rows, but now it does not work! I am totally flumoxed since it worked 5 minutes ago. Anyway, if Biff is out there, o...

Log into GP 10
We are going to GP 10 soon, it is currently on a test machine. I have created a user, added to a role, with the relevant access. But, when I try to log in, I am going past the login screen, I am seeing the company access, but after that there is a blank screen. Please help, what have I missed? I have seen this happen before and it has to do with the Home Page not being populated. A couple of things to check, first make sure the user has been assigned the DEFAULT USER role - if that doesn't work, try deleting the user and then when you add them again select a home page rol...

5 man can work simultaneous on a Sheet saved on a local server?
We are 5 people willing to work: edit/save simultaneous (if possible) on a Excel sheet saved on a local server. Any suggestion welcomed! Thanks a lot and compile succesfully! Share the workbook to make use of the multiple users to get connected. Press Alt+T+B and now Share Workbook Dialog box will appear and under the Edit Tab>>Check the ‘Allow changes by more than one user at the same time’ checkbox and give Ok. Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps! -------------------- (Ms-Exl-Learner) -------------------- "Dan Tabla" wrote: > We are ...

can log as local user but can't as domain user
Hi, i just redeployed my CRM server and i got a big issues. I can log as local user, it mean if i log to crm using crmservername \username i can log, if i use domainname\username i can't and if i only use username i can. The problem is for using outlook i need domain name log in. If somebody have an idea it will be helpfull. thx Hi, After you logon as a local user, can you go add your domain username as a new crm user. After that, will you able to logon? Darren Liu Crowe Chizek and Company http://www.crowecrm.com On Jun 6, 10:22 am, abdel.otm...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > i ...

log on screen for email
When I open my email I keep getting a screen that asks me to logon, I have selected "remember my password" and it still keeps asking then I get a message that says, unable to send or receive email.......blah,blah,blah,blah...blah........... why am I getting this, I have to close email open it again, and sometimes it works, or other times not so quick using vista home premium 64 bit, WLM any help would be appreciated. thanks The error message that you indicate says "blah, blah...", we need to see = it in its entirety. Right-click on your er...

Exchange 5.5 error
We can not receive email sent to us from out side the office. This started today. The Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 572 Relay not authorized is returned to sender. Thanks for your help. Pat What is your e-mail domain? run nslookup -type=mx your-domain.tld 195.218.218.37 and verify that it points to correct server. Pat Boyles wrote: > We can not receive email sent to us from out side the > office. This started today. > > The Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 572 Relay not authorized > is returned to sender. > > Thanks for your help. > > Pat "Pat Boyles" <pboyl...

Outlook 2003 Synch Log Errors
One of my users has brought to my attention that in your Outlook 2003 client there is a folder "Synchronization Log" that populates with error information multiple times a day. It is as follows: Offline Address Book, Error: 0X8004010F. I have her Outlook 2003 running in Caching mode and It is pulling from an Exchange 2000 server. We are in the process of upgrading that to 2003. Is it safe to assume that the cause of these errors are Exchange 2000 not playing well with Outlook 2003? Is there a way to turn off this reporting? If not, I've already informed her to ignore ...

hyperlink Problem #5
I am unable to launch a PDF document in word/excel XP/2003 using the Hyperlink facility. Every other type of document launches OK, but not PDF, even from the same folder. Any ideas? Acrobat reader flashes onscreen for fraction of a second, and disappears. Everything else works fine. Opens and stays open for me (Excel 2003). Doesn't seem to be an Excel issue else it wouldn't open at all. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Brian Mateer" <Brian Mateer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C9F7218-86EF-44AF-92A5-2C91C9733C85@microsoft.com... |I am unable to launch ...

Logging on to crystal APS
I need to edit some reports, but I can't connect to the APS. What would the default name of the APS be. I set up CRM "by the Book". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks The user name should be "administrator", and the password should have been set on the CRM server via the Crystal Configuration Manager. -Gary "Raymond" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04fd01c3d9e2$6849d010$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to edit some reports, but I can't connect to the > APS. What would the default name of the APS be. I set up >...

Circular or semi-circular chart
Hi, I would like to have a chart in a circular or semi-circular form. Idea is to have a visual depiction like that of any meter (measurement apparatus) that we see in day-to-day non-IT usage. The reading to be shown as a "needle" pointing to a value. To visulaize, think of the car speed-o-meter that is usually circular and the existing speed is shown by the needle. Are there any good tutorials or tips available on the net that I can consult? Many thanks in anticipation. Have a look at http://www.andypope.info/charts/gauge.htm http://www.brainbell.com/tutorials/ms-office/e...

Delayed message delivery between exchange 2003 and 5.5
We have an Exch2003 server running one storage group and four stores. The old 5.5 is still up and being used while we migrate users over to the new box. All of a sudden a odd thing started to happen. Any users that are in the first store in the first storage group on 2003 are getting a four hour delay on messages sent to any user in the old 5.5 enviroment. The 2nd through 4th stores on the first storage group are not having this problem. Also any messages coming from 5.5 to the first store are delivered with no delay. The problem seems to be one way, but there is no documentation that I can fi...

formula problem #5
hi the below formula seems to work fine in excel 2002 but not in 2000. =+IF(I2="0000-00-00";"";IF(I2="";"";IF(I2>NOW()-7;"W";IF(I2>NOW()-14;"W-1";IF(I2>NOW()-21;"W-2";IF(I2>NOW()-28;"W-3";"W-4")))))) date format in column I: 14/06/2004 any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com try changing the semicolons to commas, it worked on 2000 for me afte making the change. hth Mik -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Just a point: the semicolons are used, in some ...

How to Write one Log file in Multi Thread program
���� MIME ��ʽ�ľ��кܶಿ����Ϣ�� ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C33EE2.566EF870 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How to Write one Log file in Multi Thread program. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C33EE2.566EF870 Content-Type: text/html; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dgb2312"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.246...

Logging CC transactions
When I pay a credit card from my checking I select the catorgy Credit Card Payment: MasterCard. When I look at the MasterCard account and look at the payment the catagory is empty. What should i put in that catagory. I have tried to put transfer from Checking but that seems to cause double entries in my checking account. In microsoft.public.money, Steven C. wrote: >When I pay a credit card from my checking I select the catorgy Credit Card >Payment: MasterCard. > >When I look at the MasterCard account and look at the payment the catagory >is empty. What should i put in t...

Display count of currently logged on users
Is there a way to display how many users are currently logged on to PWA.. Anything similar would do, like number of authenticated users, number of active sessions etc..? You can run performance monitor and look at the concurrent users counter from the Web service object, and select the PWA web site. This is a per server count so if you have more than one server in your farm you will have to total the numbers. Hope this helps -- Ray McCoppin http://www.randsmanagement.com Project Server 2007 Archive Tool Project Server 2007 Automation Tools SRS gantt charts "...

Forwarding Mail from Exchange 5.5 to 2000
I have receint received a request to forward all email from our domain1.com to domain2.com. But they also want to receive this email @ domain1.com. So I created a custom rec. on the Exchange 5.5 server. This forwarding works fine if the email is sent from a user on the Exchange 5.5 server but if I send an email from say hotmail, the account on domain2.com never receives the message. Any ideas? Why would it work if I am sending from the Exchange 5.5 to the Exchange 2000 server? Also they are in seperate sites. ...

wish to paste a photo on a record album giving it the circular loo
will this software permit me to cut, copy or paste a picture to a record album to give it a circluar look? trying to do a cover for a reunion book. found pictur of the perfect record album on micrsoft clip art. -- JANICE Here's something I saved from a recent post by Brian Kvalheim. Here Brian speaks to an oval but all you need to do is round out the oval when you get to that step. The instructions are accurate, just take it slow as you go through them and you will have excellent results. Don (Many thanks Brian) Creating Oval pictures in Publisher 2000 by Brian Kvalheim 1. Open Mi...

XP Home Log on screen
I've had a hard disk failure and had it replaced. XP Home reinstalled and everything OK - the logon screen did not appear and the computer booted up. I installed .NET Framework 1.1 and 2 to allow some programmes to operate. Now when I start my computer, I get the logon screen and have to click it to continue the bootup. It also appears after the computer has been in hibernation. I'd like to get back to the previous state where it would boot up without having to logon. I found this fix for stopping the reappearance after hibernation "Disabling prompt for passwo...