Circular logging #3

I would like to turn off circular logging and would like to know is there a
batch file that would delete old log files. I would also like to know how to
automate this process so as not to run out of disk space. Any help would be
appreciated .

Ray3d84

ray3d841 (3)

Full online backups will purge the transaction logs for you.

"ray3d84" <ray3d84@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to turn off circular logging and would like to know is there a
> batch file that would delete old log files. I would also like to know how
> automate this process so as not to run out of disk space. Any help would
> be
> appreciated .
>
> Ray3d84

spam5298 (6)
1/26/2005 3:47:14 PM
Brandon,

Thanks for your response. My problem is we do not do a full back every
night. Do you know like to know of a way to run a batch file or script
automatically to delete files older than a certain dates?

"brandon" wrote:

> Full online backups will purge the transaction logs for you.
>
> "ray3d84" <ray3d84@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to turn off circular logging and would like to know is there a
> > batch file that would delete old log files. I would also like to know how
> > automate this process so as not to run out of disk space. Any help would
> > be
> > appreciated .
> >
> > Ray3d84
> > --

0
ray3d841 (3)
1/26/2005 4:09:05 PM
You don't want to do that.  Without "all" the log files since the last
backup, you will not be able to get a point-in-time restore, plus will have
problems mounting the database.  It basically ensures that you will have
lost data if you ever need to restore.

An incremental backup should also purge the log files that have been
committed.  An incremental is basically a logfile-only backup.  It should be
quick, and in the event of needing to restore the database, you would have
to restore the full online backup + all of the incremental backups since
that last full online backup.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

> Brandon,
>
> Thanks for your response. My problem is we do not do a full back every
> night. Do you know like to know of a way to run a batch file or script
> automatically to delete files older than a certain dates?
>
> "brandon" wrote:
>
>> Full online backups will purge the transaction logs for you.
>>
>> "ray3d84" <ray3d84@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I would like to turn off circular logging and would like to know is
>> >there a
>> > batch file that would delete old log files. I would also like to know
>> > how
>> > automate this process so as not to run out of disk space. Any help
>> > would
>> > be
>> > appreciated .
>> >
>> > Ray3d84
>> > --

0
Ben
1/26/2005 4:24:57 PM
Took the words out of my mouth, right as I was typing them too :-)

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:%23GfgUO8AFHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You don't want to do that.  Without "all" the log files since the last
> backup, you will not be able to get a point-in-time restore, plus will
> have problems mounting the database.  It basically ensures that you will
> have lost data if you ever need to restore.
>
> An incremental backup should also purge the log files that have been
> committed.  An incremental is basically a logfile-only backup.  It should
> be quick, and in the event of needing to restore the database, you would
> have to restore the full online backup + all of the incremental backups
> since that last full online backup.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "ray3d84" <ray3d84@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Brandon,
>>
>> Thanks for your response. My problem is we do not do a full back every
>> night. Do you know like to know of a way to run a batch file or script
>> automatically to delete files older than a certain dates?
>>
>> "brandon" wrote:
>>
>>> Full online backups will purge the transaction logs for you.
>>>
>>> "ray3d84" <ray3d84@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
spam5298 (6)
1/26/2005 4:30:35 PM
Thanks.

"ray3d84" wrote:

> I would like to turn off circular logging and would like to know is there a
> batch file that would delete old log files. I would also like to know how to
> automate this process so as not to run out of disk space. Any help would be
> appreciated .
>
> Ray3d84

ray3d841 (3)
1/26/2005 4:45:13 PM
The good news is that by turning off Circular logging, you are increasing
your chances of recovering your data store in the event of a problem. The
*ONLY* reason, IMHO, for circular logging is that you are critically short
of space....

The bad news is that deleting the log files is a ***VERY BAD*** idea. If
space is really that critical, you are better off keeping circular logging
on until you can address the space issue by either increasing the disk size,
moving the log files and data stores to a different drive or doing an
off-line defrag... of course, you are playing Russian Roulette if you do an
off-line defrag w/o a good backup....

The only correct and supported way to remove the log files is to do a full
Exchange Aware backup of the database. You already have the best (and free)
backup tool...... NTBACKUP. Use it to do a full backup and once successfully
completed, it will delete the log files that are no longer needed.

Actually, Incremental backups will also do this, but our experience is that
a full backup using NTBACKUP really doesn't take that long. I feel that the
best strategy is to set up the NTBACKUP job and add it as a scheduled task
that runs, say, at 2AM. Pick the best time when there is minimal activity.
We have ours set up to back up the database at 10PM. Our tape backup system
backs it up at 1AM.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"ray3d84" <ray3d84@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to turn off circular logging and would like to know is there a
> batch file that would delete old log files. I would also like to know how
> automate this process so as not to run out of disk space. Any help would
> be
> appreciated .
>
> Ray3d84

rasilon1 (689)

Circular Logging #5
I have a Exchange 2000 server with circular logging turned ON. If I do a nightly FULL backup then circular logging being ON should not really matter, right? We do not do incremental or differentail backups. thanks Well, consider the following. You backup at midnight. Your server fails at 2pm and you lose your database drive. With circular logging on, you can only recover your system back to the state it was in at midnight, i.e. you lose emails from midnight to 2pm. Best practice is to ensure circular logging is off. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips...

Problem with CString #3
Hello, I am using a CString as such: CString p = _T("hello"); p.append(_T("mister\0Bye\0\0")); wmemcpy( szBuffer, p.GetBuffer(), p.GetLength()); How does GetLength determine the length of the buffer? I am thinking that if the method only uses the delimiting null as a delimiter, than the other 2 words that I have "mister" and "bye" will be left out? Thanks On 19 Sep 2006 18:18:40 -0700, "sleeper" <TheFakeJon@gmail.com> wrote: >Hello, I am using a CString as such: > >CString p = _T("hello"); >p.append(_T("m...

Circular text
How do I create circular text? ...

could not allocate space in a Registry log
Hello all, I use exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 platform. When i tried to create a mailbox for a new user, i got the following error msg: "System could not allocate the required space in a Registry log". Pls what can I do to correct this and also to prevent a future occurrence. Your urgent response will be appreciated. ...

CRM 3.0 Email Router installation
While upgrading Email router for CRM 3.0, the system requirement screen shows that the Operating System failed the test with the following message. The operating system version 5.2 is not supported by the installed product. We are running Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003 SP2. Is Windows 2003 SP1 required to be installed prior to installing email router? Correct, if running on Windows 2003, Microsoft CRM 3.0 requires it to be SP1 for both server and exchange router. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. www.workopia.com "Nilesh" wrote: > While upgrading Email router for CRM 3.0,...

MS backup on XP 3
I have Windows XP SP 3 on my computer I installed MS backup. when I try to start a backup a window pops up with: "The files for the recovery diskette could not be created. The operation was aborted" I have an A drive. I have a 2TB IOSafe USB drive for backup & photo storage that I just connected to the computer that I want the backup stored to. I can copy files to the new 2TB drive, so I know it is operating properly. This drive came with a 5 year recovery warrantee if it fails for any reason, including flood & fire. Thanks for any guidance. Tom J ...

Excessive Transaction Logging
Hi recently done an upgrade of Exchange 5.5 to 2003. The are around 150 users in this system, all now residing on the 2003 server Since moving users upgrade the Exchange 2003 I have noticed there seems to be a large amount of transaction logs being created, usually aroung 1gb per 24 hours, this is much more than the 5.5 server did, or any other Exchange Server I know of supporting a simiar amount of users Looking at Message tracking I couldnt see any mail that looks like its is looping etc. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this Thanks John For starters, stop virtual S...

When I open up Outlook 2003 it says "Logging enabled"
When I open up Outlook 2003 it says "Logging enabled" in the title bar. First, where can I see these logs and second, how do I turn it off? I've never noticed the title bar change but maybe it's diagnostic logging. There's more info about that here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300479 "Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message news:3rcqrlFiquijU1@individual.net... > When I open up Outlook 2003 it says "Logging enabled" in the title bar. > First, where can I see these logs and second, how do I turn it off? Th...

Frequency Circular Reference
I posted a message a few hours ago regarding my problem with a frequency formula I was trying to use with students' grades on a spread sheet. Biff answered and solved my problem. I did what he suggested and it worked!! (A copy of my problem and Biff's response is below this paragraph.) Then I hit a key by mistake and the whole thing got screwed up. So, armed with Biff's solution, I entered the same information Biff suggested, in the exact cell cells and rows, but now it does not work! I am totally flumoxed since it worked 5 minutes ago. Anyway, if Biff is out there, o...

Log into GP 10
We are going to GP 10 soon, it is currently on a test machine. I have created a user, added to a role, with the relevant access. But, when I try to log in, I am going past the login screen, I am seeing the company access, but after that there is a blank screen. Please help, what have I missed? I have seen this happen before and it has to do with the Home Page not being populated. A couple of things to check, first make sure the user has been assigned the DEFAULT USER role - if that doesn't work, try deleting the user and then when you add them again select a home page rol...

can log as local user but can't as domain user
Hi, i just redeployed my CRM server and i got a big issues. I can log as local user, it mean if i log to crm using crmservername \username i can log, if i use domainname\username i can't and if i only use username i can. The problem is for using outlook i need domain name log in. If somebody have an idea it will be helpfull. thx Hi, After you logon as a local user, can you go add your domain username as a new crm user. After that, will you able to logon? Darren Liu Crowe Chizek and Company http://www.crowecrm.com On Jun 6, 10:22 am, abdel.otm...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > i ...

EXPORTING MESSAGES #3
I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO EXPORT MESSAGES FROM OUTLOOK EXPRESS TO OUTLOOK. WE CAN MOVE THE ADDRESS CONTACTS BUT WE NEED MESSAGES. HELP! >I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO EXPORT MESSAGES FROM OUTLOOK EXPRESS >TO OUTLOOK. Under Files>Export, choose "Messages..." -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't speak for Smiths, and Smiths doesn't speak for me. ...

Time Zone Setting in CRM 3.0
I am assigned to the adminstrative role. The option for time zone does not appear under tools ... options ... general as it does if I login as CRM Admin. How do I enable the time zone setting. I am having synchronization problems with outlook. Michael Hi Mike, Have you found a solution for this behaviour? We're experiencing the same problem. BR, Saku "Mike from MA" wrote: > I am assigned to the adminstrative role. The option for time zone does not > appear under tools ... options ... general as it does if I login as CRM > Admin. How do I enable the time zone...

Quest 3 for testing purpose
Quest 3 for testing purpose ...

log on screen for email
When I open my email I keep getting a screen that asks me to logon, I have selected "remember my password" and it still keeps asking then I get a message that says, unable to send or receive email.......blah,blah,blah,blah...blah........... why am I getting this, I have to close email open it again, and sometimes it works, or other times not so quick using vista home premium 64 bit, WLM any help would be appreciated. thanks The error message that you indicate says "blah, blah...", we need to see = it in its entirety. Right-click on your er...

Outlook 2003 Synch Log Errors
One of my users has brought to my attention that in your Outlook 2003 client there is a folder "Synchronization Log" that populates with error information multiple times a day. It is as follows: Offline Address Book, Error: 0X8004010F. I have her Outlook 2003 running in Caching mode and It is pulling from an Exchange 2000 server. We are in the process of upgrading that to 2003. Is it safe to assume that the cause of these errors are Exchange 2000 not playing well with Outlook 2003? Is there a way to turn off this reporting? If not, I've already informed her to ignore ...

Custom POS Button #3
I want a section of the POS screen to show the customers last date of purchase as well as the most recent items they purchased. I think this might be done using HTML but I don't know how to do that. Any help would be great Thanks ...

Check Mark #3
Would you please show me how to put "Check Mark" in cells. Thank you Chi Hi Chi If the Cell font is Wingdings2 you can use the uppercase P -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Chi Huynh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07d701c3d6dc$8b502360$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Would you please show me how to put "Check Mark" in cells. > Thank you > Chi Or another font to use ,format your cells as Marlett then type the letter "a". -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying...

Home Publishing 2000 #3
After getting a new computer with Windows XP, and also recently installing MS Publisher 2003, my Home Publishing 2000 will only install in the MINIMAL (partial installation) setting but not in the TYPICAL (which is a complete installation). It gives me this message: D:\mhp\Common\MSShared\Clipart\std2prem\std2prem.mm Microsoft no longer supports this 1999 program. Any ideas about how I can get this program to reinstall completely? Please e-mail me: JB20852@wmconnect.com Looks like a Clip Gallery error. .mmc is the clipart catalog. Publisher uses the Organizer. Perhaps there is a conflic...

Money 3.0 11991-94 Upgrade
Yes, we are still driving the old tin lizzy. Are there any compatibility issues with trying to go from this dinosaur to Money 2004? Did Bill Gates keep everything compatible for ten years?? If you upgrade to the same localized version (3.0 is probably only US) this should work just fine. You can test this by trying the time limited trial version available at http://www.microsoft.com/money. Two words of advice if you go this route: 1) Read and heed the information about the upgrade process and non-revertability of an upgraded file. 2) If you decide to go this way, don't upgrade the ...

Logging on to crystal APS
I need to edit some reports, but I can't connect to the APS. What would the default name of the APS be. I set up CRM "by the Book". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks The user name should be "administrator", and the password should have been set on the CRM server via the Crystal Configuration Manager. -Gary "Raymond" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04fd01c3d9e2$6849d010$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to edit some reports, but I can't connect to the > APS. What would the default name of the APS be. I set up >...

Circular or semi-circular chart
Hi, I would like to have a chart in a circular or semi-circular form. Idea is to have a visual depiction like that of any meter (measurement apparatus) that we see in day-to-day non-IT usage. The reading to be shown as a "needle" pointing to a value. To visulaize, think of the car speed-o-meter that is usually circular and the existing speed is shown by the needle. Are there any good tutorials or tips available on the net that I can consult? Many thanks in anticipation. Have a look at http://www.andypope.info/charts/gauge.htm http://www.brainbell.com/tutorials/ms-office/e...

How to Write one Log file in Multi Thread program
���� MIME ��ʽ�ľ��кܶಿ����Ϣ�� ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C33EE2.566EF870 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How to Write one Log file in Multi Thread program. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C33EE2.566EF870 Content-Type: text/html; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dgb2312"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.246...

Logging CC transactions
When I pay a credit card from my checking I select the catorgy Credit Card Payment: MasterCard. When I look at the MasterCard account and look at the payment the catagory is empty. What should i put in that catagory. I have tried to put transfer from Checking but that seems to cause double entries in my checking account. In microsoft.public.money, Steven C. wrote: >When I pay a credit card from my checking I select the catorgy Credit Card >Payment: MasterCard. > >When I look at the MasterCard account and look at the payment the catagory >is empty. What should i put in t...

Sending messages #3
Hello, When I send messages, there are often more messages being sent than what I created. For example, I may send 2 e-mail messages, but my antivirus says it is scanning three or more. But, when I check my outboc, there are only the messages I have sent. I am concerned that I either have a virus (although I have a current and updated version of Norton Antivirus) or a problem with my Outlook settings. Can anyone provide me with some guidance? -- Leo When you send, you also automatically receive. I'd guess that NAV is scanning incoming mail, too, and adding to the total. "L...