changing the server response for SMTP - won't change?

If I telnet into my server via port 25, the server responds with "220
server.mydomain.local Microsoft ESMTP Mail Service...."

I want to correct this so it responds as my correct FQDN, which would be
"server.mydomain.com"

I swear I must have done this a dozen times in the past on other servers by
checking the properties of the SMTP Virtual Server, Delivery, Advanced, and
typing the correct name in the FQDN box.

However, I've done that, stopped and restarted everything, rebooted the
server, and it still shows as the ".local" name.

Where else should I be changing this?

Thanks!

0
kremlar (9)

hi

done that before by editing the metabase.
if someone posts here the link to the metabase editor, i would appreciate it
as i want to do it myself.

Thank You
Pedro Leite
"Kremlar" <kremlar@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
> If I telnet into my server via port 25, the server responds with "220
> server.mydomain.local Microsoft ESMTP Mail Service...."
>
> I want to correct this so it responds as my correct FQDN, which would be
> "server.mydomain.com"
>
> I swear I must have done this a dozen times in the past on other servers
> by checking the properties of the SMTP Virtual Server, Delivery, Advanced,
> and typing the correct name in the FQDN box.
>
> However, I've done that, stopped and restarted everything, rebooted the
> server, and it still shows as the ".local" name.
>
> Where else should I be changing this?
>
> Thanks!

0
Pedro
2/14/2006 2:13:02 PM
On Exchange 2003, that's done on the SMTP Protocol, buried in Advanced.

In System Manager, go to

Administrative Group ->
    	First Administrative Group ->
    	    	{server name} ->
    	    	    	Protocols ->
    	    	    	    	SMTP ->
    	    	    	    	    	{pick your SMTP virtual server, probably
    default}, right click and choose properties.

Choose Delivery Tab, Advanced.

Set the name you want in the Fully-qualified domain name to whatever
name you want.

Cheers!

Edd

"Pedro Leite" <naoehpreciso> wrote in

> hi
>
> done that before by editing the metabase.
> if someone posts here the link to the metabase editor, i would
> appreciate it as i want to do it myself.
>
> Thank You
> Pedro Leite
-
> -------- "Kremlar" <kremlar@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> If I telnet into my server via port 25, the server responds with "220
>> server.mydomain.local Microsoft ESMTP Mail Service...."
>>
>> I want to correct this so it responds as my correct FQDN, which would
>> be "server.mydomain.com"
>>
>> I swear I must have done this a dozen times in the past on other
>> servers by checking the properties of the SMTP Virtual Server,
>> Delivery, Advanced, and typing the correct name in the FQDN box.
>>
>> However, I've done that, stopped and restarted everything, rebooted
>> the server, and it still shows as the ".local" name.
>>
>> Where else should I be changing this?
>>
>> Thanks!

0
vo243 (16)
2/14/2006 3:01:08 PM
Yes - I changed that option, but it still shows the old name.  That's my
problem...

"Vo" <vo243@hotmail.removeme.com> wrote in message
> On Exchange 2003, that's done on the SMTP Protocol, buried in Advanced.
>
> In System Manager, go to
>
> Administrative Group ->
>    First Administrative Group ->
>        {server name} ->
>            Protocols ->
>                SMTP ->
>                    {pick your SMTP virtual server, probably
>    default}, right click and choose properties.
>
> Choose Delivery Tab, Advanced.
>
> Set the name you want in the Fully-qualified domain name to whatever
> name you want.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Edd
>

> "Pedro Leite" <naoehpreciso> wrote in
>
>> hi
>>
>> done that before by editing the metabase.
>> if someone posts here the link to the metabase editor, i would
>> appreciate it as i want to do it myself.
>>
>> Thank You
>> Pedro Leite
> -
>> -------- "Kremlar" <kremlar@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
>>> If I telnet into my server via port 25, the server responds with "220
>>> server.mydomain.local Microsoft ESMTP Mail Service...."
>>>
>>> I want to correct this so it responds as my correct FQDN, which would
>>> be "server.mydomain.com"
>>>
>>> I swear I must have done this a dozen times in the past on other
>>> servers by checking the properties of the SMTP Virtual Server,
>>> Delivery, Advanced, and typing the correct name in the FQDN box.
>>>
>>> However, I've done that, stopped and restarted everything, rebooted
>>> the server, and it still shows as the ".local" name.
>>>
>>> Where else should I be changing this?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

0
kremlar (9)
2/14/2006 3:13:10 PM
Hmm...did you restart the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol service?

"Kremlar" <kremlar@hotmail.com> wrote in news:#zzFCjXMGHA.2668
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> Yes - I changed that option, but it still shows the old name.  That's
my
> problem...
>

> "Vo" <vo243@hotmail.removeme.com> wrote in message
>> On Exchange 2003, that's done on the SMTP Protocol, buried in
Advanced.

>> In System Manager, go to
>>
>> Administrative Group ->
>>    First Administrative Group ->
>>        {server name} ->
>>            Protocols ->
>>                SMTP ->
>>                    {pick your SMTP virtual server, probably
>>    default}, right click and choose properties.
>>
>> Choose Delivery Tab, Advanced.
>>
>> Set the name you want in the Fully-qualified domain name to whatever
>> name you want.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Edd
>>

>> "Pedro Leite" <naoehpreciso> wrote in
>>
>>> hi
>>>
>>> done that before by editing the metabase.
>>> if someone posts here the link to the metabase editor, i would
>>> appreciate it as i want to do it myself.
>>>
>>> Thank You
>>> Pedro Leite

>> -
>>> -------- "Kremlar" <kremlar@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem

0
vo243 (16)
2/14/2006 3:29:35 PM
Yes.  If you look at my original post, I not only restarted the service (and
Exchange services too), but also rebooted the server.

> Hmm...did you restart the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol service?
>

> "Kremlar" <kremlar@hotmail.com> wrote in news:#zzFCjXMGHA.2668
> @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
>
>> Yes - I changed that option, but it still shows the old name.  That's
> my
>> problem...
>>

>> "Vo" <vo243@hotmail.removeme.com> wrote in message
>>> On Exchange 2003, that's done on the SMTP Protocol, buried in
> Advanced.
>>>
>>> In System Manager, go to
>>>
>>> Administrative Group ->
>>>    First Administrative Group ->
>>>        {server name} ->
>>>            Protocols ->
>>>                SMTP ->
>>>                    {pick your SMTP virtual server, probably
>>>    default}, right click and choose properties.
>>>
>>> Choose Delivery Tab, Advanced.
>>>
>>> Set the name you want in the Fully-qualified domain name to whatever
>>> name you want.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Edd
>>>

>>> "Pedro Leite" <naoehpreciso> wrote in

>>> -
> "220

> would

0
kremlar (9)
2/14/2006 3:57:01 PM
sorry
missed the point. thought it was to change smtp greeting.

"Pedro Leite" <naoehpreciso> escreveu na mensagem
> hi
>
> done that before by editing the metabase.
> if someone posts here the link to the metabase editor, i would appreciate
> it as i want to do it myself.
>
> Thank You
> Pedro Leite
> "Kremlar" <kremlar@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> If I telnet into my server via port 25, the server responds with "220
>> server.mydomain.local Microsoft ESMTP Mail Service...."
>>
>> I want to correct this so it responds as my correct FQDN, which would be
>> "server.mydomain.com"
>>
>> I swear I must have done this a dozen times in the past on other servers
>> by checking the properties of the SMTP Virtual Server, Delivery,
>> Advanced, and typing the correct name in the FQDN box.
>>
>> However, I've done that, stopped and restarted everything, rebooted the
>> server, and it still shows as the ".local" name.
>>
>> Where else should I be changing this?
>>
>> Thanks!

0
Pedro
2/14/2006 4:03:05 PM
Sorry! I really wish I could have helped you, but that's literally how I
did it too.

> Yes.  If you look at my original post, I not only restarted the
> service (and Exchange services too), but also rebooted the server.
>
> "Vo" <vo243@hotmail.removeme.com> wrote in message
>> Hmm...did you restart the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol service?
>>

>> "Kremlar" <kremlar@hotmail.com> wrote in news:#zzFCjXMGHA.2668
>> @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
>>
>>> Yes - I changed that option, but it still shows the old name.
>>> That's
>> my
>>> problem...
>>>

>>> "Vo" <vo243@hotmail.removeme.com> wrote in message
>> Advanced.

>> "220

>> would

0
vo243 (16)
2/14/2006 8:58:29 PM
after you changed the FQDn click on check name, this will look against your
local DNS server, if there is no entry it wont resolve and ultimately server
name will remain same as old.You have to have DNS entry for the FQDN
mentioned.

On another note i am also looking to change SMTP greetings,e.g. Hello,bye
etc if someone has any idea about those.

"Pedro Leite" wrote:

> sorry
> missed the point. thought it was to change smtp greeting.

> "Pedro Leite" <naoehpreciso> escreveu na mensagem
> > hi
> >
> > done that before by editing the metabase.
> > if someone posts here the link to the metabase editor, i would appreciate
> > it as i want to do it myself.
> >
> > Thank You
> > Pedro Leite
> > "Kremlar" <kremlar@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
> >> If I telnet into my server via port 25, the server responds with "220
> >> server.mydomain.local Microsoft ESMTP Mail Service...."
> >>
> >> I want to correct this so it responds as my correct FQDN, which would be
> >> "server.mydomain.com"
> >>
> >> I swear I must have done this a dozen times in the past on other servers
> >> by checking the properties of the SMTP Virtual Server, Delivery,
> >> Advanced, and typing the correct name in the FQDN box.
> >>
> >> However, I've done that, stopped and restarted everything, rebooted the
> >> server, and it still shows as the ".local" name.
> >>
> >> Where else should I be changing this?
> >>
> >> Thanks!

0
R06 (4)

How restore Outlook messages back to Yahoo Server, removed in err
The related question to this msg is: Why, when you are setting up an account in Outlook '07 on Windows 7, not only is the DEFAULT setting to NOT leave a copy of messages on the server, you AREN'T EVEN ASKED WHETHER YOU WANT MESSAGES LEFT ON THE SERVER OR NOT? If I'd been asked I would have known how to answer, but I wasn't. That question is buried in the Advanced tab under More Settings that you do not automatically go to when setting up a new account. I didn't even seen the More Settings button. It may not have even been displayed. Everything setting u...

External data link change

MAPI and IMAP coexsistance on same client/server for transparent users in the wild...
An exchange 2003 server with enabled secure IMAP and OWA. Clients running Outlook 2003 with both MAPI and IMAP connections to the same server. This is for troubleless connections for users being both on the LAN and out in the wild without VPN. What are your experinces about best setup in this scenario - how will users get the most transparent feel - that is: calender working, mails getting to the same location, still available via OWA... regardless whether they are on the LAN or in the wild. Regards, Lars. Go with Mapi all the way for the functionality. Implement RPC over HTTPs for rem...

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

Hotmail POP3 Server ?
I am trying to set up my Outlook so that I can access my Hotmail account through it. I am getting an error msg saying "cannot find POP3 server"... How ro I correct this ? Hotmail doesn't use POP3. What version of Outlook are you using? See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/SERVICES/online.htm#hotmail Titch wrote: > I am trying to set up my Outlook so that I can access my > Hotmail account through it. I am getting an error msg > saying "cannot find POP3 server"... How ro I correct > this ? That's correct. It isn't supported in that version of ...

How to change newsgroup message font

Which one first?Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Exchange SP2 ?
Hi, We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? Rgrds, Zul If it was me do the OS first. "Zul J" <mlist@istar.com.my> wrote in message news:%23AeXnXErFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update > the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS > patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? > ...

HELP!
When I access OWA and do any navigation other than the Inbox, I can almost always expect my Exchange 5.5 server to crash (with an unexpected restart in the Event Log). I'm on NT4.0 with SP6a and all the latest MS upgrades. Exchange 5.5 is up to date with all service packs. I access the Exchange server by port redirection on my DSL Router/Hub. All Inbox activity seem to work fine (i.e. look at emails, delete emails and create/send emails). It's when I go to places like the Deleted folder or the Contacts folder that server crash will take place. The server can run indefinately ...

Change a formula to an acual number

OL 2000 smtp error
My client receives the following error message when sending message, this happens about 9/10 times, and after the error pops up a few time the message goes through...any ideas? "The TCP/IP connection was unexpectly terminated by the server. Account:XXXX, SMTP Server: mail.uu.net, Error NUmber 0x800ccc0f" Marc ...

How do I remove an Exchange 2000 server?
I have built a new Exchange 2000 standard server to replace an existing one. within a few days I'm going to be ready to get rid of the original server as all the users and public folders will have been moved over. How do I gracefully uninstall the origianl Exchange server so that AD, the new Exchange server, etc. are all happy and working well? I can't find a TechNet article on this topic so any information would be very welcome. -- Bettie http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307917 On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:59:01 -0700, "Bettie Claxton" <Betti...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

Sharing Calendars from the Server
Hello, We have a Windows 2003 Small Business Server with Exchange. The owner of the company would like to have access to all his employees calendars (which is less than 10 people). I know how to share out the calender by logging in as a user and sharing it via Outlook, but is there a way to make the same configuration changes from the server? I'd like to expodite the sharing process (and learn a new trick)! Many Thanks, Grant ...

Moving exchange2k3 server machine account from default OU to another...
Hi all. I have an win2k3 std sp1 server with exchange2k3 std sp2 on it. The computer account of the server sits in the default Computers OU, and i want to move it to another computer OU for policy purposes. I have a 2k AD. I understand that this move should go without a problem, maybe a restart of the services afterwards? I'm not going to move any of the objects in the Microsoft Exchange System Objects OU, just the computer account. Any problems that might occur, and would those potential problems be ok if i just move it back to the default OU? -- Gripe On Fri, 19 May 2006 ...

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change