Changing Server Name

I set up an Exchange 2003 server.  While messing around with the
settings, I realized I did not like the name of the machine, so I
changed it.  But, in ESM, it still shows the old server name.  How do
I change the server name in ESM?

Thanks,
Jeff

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:32:51 -0800, Jeff Grossman
<jeff.nospam@stikman.com> wrote:

>I set up an Exchange 2003 server.  While messing around with the
>settings, I realized I did not like the name of the machine, so I
>changed it.  But, in ESM, it still shows the old server name.  How do
>I change the server name in ESM?
>
>Thanks,
>Jeff

Change it back. You just broke Exchange.Hopefully, it wasnt fatal.

0
adavid (8731)
3/25/2006 10:53:15 PM
Andy David - MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:32:51 -0800, Jeff Grossman
><jeff.nospam@stikman.com> wrote:
>
>>I set up an Exchange 2003 server.  While messing around with the
>>settings, I realized I did not like the name of the machine, so I
>>changed it.  But, in ESM, it still shows the old server name.  How do
>>I change the server name in ESM?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Jeff
>

>Change it back. You just broke Exchange.Hopefully, it wasnt fatal.

I haven't put this machine into production yet, so no it was not
fatal.  How do I set Exchange to use this new server name?

In news:jjib22pjp6tep9ujonds1uf30gccr16mov@4ax.com,
Jeff Grossman <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> typed:
> Andy David - MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:32:51 -0800, Jeff Grossman
>> <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I set up an Exchange 2003 server.  While messing around with the
>>> settings, I realized I did not like the name of the machine, so I
>>> changed it.  But, in ESM, it still shows the old server name.  How
>>> do I change the server name in ESM?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jeff
>>

>> Change it back. You just broke Exchange.Hopefully, it wasnt fatal.
>>
> I haven't put this machine into production yet, so no it was not
> fatal.  How do I set Exchange to use this new server name?

Reinstall from scratch. You can't rename your Exchange server like that.

0
lanwench (7567)
3/25/2006 11:01:23 PM
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

>In news:jjib22pjp6tep9ujonds1uf30gccr16mov@4ax.com,
>Jeff Grossman <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> typed:
>> Andy David - MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>>> Change it back. You just broke Exchange.Hopefully, it wasnt fatal.
>>>
>> I haven't put this machine into production yet, so no it was not
>> fatal.  How do I set Exchange to use this new server name?
>
>Reinstall from scratch. You can't rename your Exchange server like that.

Thanks.  I had a feeling you were going to tell me that.  Is it
possible to rename an Exchange server once it is in production?  I can
see a reinstall the easiest approach.

Thanks again for the information.

Jeff
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:08:54 -0800, Jeff Grossman
<jeff.nospam@stikman.com> wrote:

>"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
><lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>In news:jjib22pjp6tep9ujonds1uf30gccr16mov@4ax.com,
>>Jeff Grossman <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> typed:

>>> I haven't put this machine into production yet, so no it was not
>>> fatal.  How do I set Exchange to use this new server name?
>>
>>Reinstall from scratch. You can't rename your Exchange server like that.
>>
>Thanks.  I had a feeling you were going to tell me that.  Is it
>possible to rename an Exchange server once it is in production?  I can
>see a reinstall the easiest approach.

Nope. Only reinstalling is supported.

>Thanks again for the information.
>
>Jeff
0
adavid (8731)
3/25/2006 11:29:29 PM
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:08:54 -0800, Jeff Grossman
<jeff.nospam@stikman.com> wrote:

>"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
><lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>In news:jjib22pjp6tep9ujonds1uf30gccr16mov@4ax.com,
>>Jeff Grossman <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> typed:

>>> I haven't put this machine into production yet, so no it was not
>>> fatal.  How do I set Exchange to use this new server name?
>>
>>Reinstall from scratch. You can't rename your Exchange server like that.
>>
>Thanks.  I had a feeling you were going to tell me that.  Is it
>possible to rename an Exchange server once it is in production?  I can
>see a reinstall the easiest approach.

Actually, what I should say is that you can rename the server, but
only with Exchange removed. You dont have to resintall the OS.

>Thanks again for the information.
>
>Jeff
0
adavid (8731)
3/25/2006 11:30:31 PM
Andy David - MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>>Thanks.  I had a feeling you were going to tell me that.  Is it
>>possible to rename an Exchange server once it is in production?  I can
>>see a reinstall the easiest approach.
>
>Actually, what I should say is that you can rename the server, but
>only with Exchange removed. You dont have to resintall the OS.

Thank you for the information.

How restore Outlook messages back to Yahoo Server, removed in err
The related question to this msg is: Why, when you are setting up an account in Outlook '07 on Windows 7, not only is the DEFAULT setting to NOT leave a copy of messages on the server, you AREN'T EVEN ASKED WHETHER YOU WANT MESSAGES LEFT ON THE SERVER OR NOT? If I'd been asked I would have known how to answer, but I wasn't. That question is buried in the Advanced tab under More Settings that you do not automatically go to when setting up a new account. I didn't even seen the More Settings button. It may not have even been displayed. Everything setting u...

External data link change

AddIn Functions Have File Path and #NAME? Error
Hello, How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin functions in them? I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007 on XP and am having some trouble with my Excel addin workbook functions. There are a number of addins that are kept in a directory on the computer, C:\ExcelAddins. They are updated from time to time and so everyone has them in this directory on there computer so IT can upload updates. After the Office 2007 upgrade I added all these addins to Excel 2007. In 2003 I would be able to access the addin functions by typing in the name and pa...

MAPI and IMAP coexsistance on same client/server for transparent users in the wild...
An exchange 2003 server with enabled secure IMAP and OWA. Clients running Outlook 2003 with both MAPI and IMAP connections to the same server. This is for troubleless connections for users being both on the LAN and out in the wild without VPN. What are your experinces about best setup in this scenario - how will users get the most transparent feel - that is: calender working, mails getting to the same location, still available via OWA... regardless whether they are on the LAN or in the wild. Regards, Lars. Go with Mapi all the way for the functionality. Implement RPC over HTTPs for rem...

Why does the change change to a number?

If my System.IO.StreamWriter Write method throws "The specified network name is no longer available." and I try to Dispose or Close it in the finaly clause the close or dispose method just throws "The
If my System.IO.StreamWriter Write method throws "The specified network name is no longer available." and I try to Dispose or Close it in the finaly clause the close or dispose method just throws "The specified network name is no longer available." again. how to clean this up? after this the stream writer is stuck connected until i restart my process. ...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

Hotmail POP3 Server ?
I am trying to set up my Outlook so that I can access my Hotmail account through it. I am getting an error msg saying "cannot find POP3 server"... How ro I correct this ? Hotmail doesn't use POP3. What version of Outlook are you using? See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/SERVICES/online.htm#hotmail Titch wrote: > I am trying to set up my Outlook so that I can access my > Hotmail account through it. I am getting an error msg > saying "cannot find POP3 server"... How ro I correct > this ? That's correct. It isn't supported in that version of ...

How to change newsgroup message font

Which one first?Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Exchange SP2 ?
Hi, We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? Rgrds, Zul If it was me do the OS first. "Zul J" <mlist@istar.com.my> wrote in message news:%23AeXnXErFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update > the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS > patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? > ...

HELP!
When I access OWA and do any navigation other than the Inbox, I can almost always expect my Exchange 5.5 server to crash (with an unexpected restart in the Event Log). I'm on NT4.0 with SP6a and all the latest MS upgrades. Exchange 5.5 is up to date with all service packs. I access the Exchange server by port redirection on my DSL Router/Hub. All Inbox activity seem to work fine (i.e. look at emails, delete emails and create/send emails). It's when I go to places like the Deleted folder or the Contacts folder that server crash will take place. The server can run indefinately ...

Change a formula to an acual number

How do I remove an Exchange 2000 server?
I have built a new Exchange 2000 standard server to replace an existing one. within a few days I'm going to be ready to get rid of the original server as all the users and public folders will have been moved over. How do I gracefully uninstall the origianl Exchange server so that AD, the new Exchange server, etc. are all happy and working well? I can't find a TechNet article on this topic so any information would be very welcome. -- Bettie http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307917 On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:59:01 -0700, "Bettie Claxton" <Betti...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

match name fields to determine differences #2
I have two worksheets that have common columns for last name and first name. I want to determine which rows are in both worksheets based on the last name and first name. The concatenate function with vlookup is an option, is there an easier way? I will have to assume that first names are in column A and last names in column B. And that there are 300 names on sheet1 with headings. The first sheet is called "sheet1" It doesn't matter how many names are on sheet 2. In the second sheet cell C2 enter You may have to change it around to match your information. =IF(SUMPRODUCT((Shee...

Sharing Calendars from the Server
Hello, We have a Windows 2003 Small Business Server with Exchange. The owner of the company would like to have access to all his employees calendars (which is less than 10 people). I know how to share out the calender by logging in as a user and sharing it via Outlook, but is there a way to make the same configuration changes from the server? I'd like to expodite the sharing process (and learn a new trick)! Many Thanks, Grant ...

Moving exchange2k3 server machine account from default OU to another...
Hi all. I have an win2k3 std sp1 server with exchange2k3 std sp2 on it. The computer account of the server sits in the default Computers OU, and i want to move it to another computer OU for policy purposes. I have a 2k AD. I understand that this move should go without a problem, maybe a restart of the services afterwards? I'm not going to move any of the objects in the Microsoft Exchange System Objects OU, just the computer account. Any problems that might occur, and would those potential problems be ok if i just move it back to the default OU? -- Gripe On Fri, 19 May 2006 ...