Cannot Read Emails in Public Folders

We have Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 running in native mode.  Client
is Outlook 2003

There are two Public Folders that are e-mail enabled.  I can send email to
them and in Outlook I can see the list of mail items however when I (as
administrator) go to open them I get the message Can't open this item.
Unknown Error.

The strange thing is yesterday, when I set up these folders and sent a test
message to them - I could open them.  Now today I cannot open any of the

I can however delete the items!  I can post to the folder but again cannot
read my post!  I can also delete the post.

Can anyone please tell me where I may be going wrong or what I may be
overlooking.

Thanks,
Rodney (AU)

0
Rodney

Rodney:

First, ensure that your file level antivirus scanner is not scanning the M
drive.

Second, are there any errors in the application log when you attempt to
access these messages.

Third, are you full backups completing every night?

Tim

--
Timothy McMichael
timmcmic@online.microsoft.com

"Rodney" <newsmonitor[NOSPAM@]ducomagic.com.au> wrote in message
> We have Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 running in native mode.
Client
> is Outlook 2003
>
> There are two Public Folders that are e-mail enabled.  I can send email to
> them and in Outlook I can see the list of mail items however when I (as
> administrator) go to open them I get the message Can't open this item.
> Unknown Error.
>
> The strange thing is yesterday, when I set up these folders and sent a
test
> message to them - I could open them.  Now today I cannot open any of the
>
> I can however delete the items!  I can post to the folder but again cannot
> read my post!  I can also delete the post.
>
> Can anyone please tell me where I may be going wrong or what I may be
> overlooking.
>
> Thanks,
> Rodney (AU)

0
timmcmic (8)
2/25/2004 3:01:34 PM
I encountered a weird problem like that the other day with a public Contact
folder where neither myself nor my users were able to copy or move items
into the folder but we were able to delete, add, modify and so forth.

My solution, create a new folder and copy the items into the new folder.

Rafael

"Timothy McMichael [MSFT]" <timmcmic@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rodney:
>
> First, ensure that your file level antivirus scanner is not scanning the M
> drive.
>
> Second, are there any errors in the application log when you attempt to
> access these messages.
>
> Third, are you full backups completing every night?
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Timothy McMichael
> timmcmic@online.microsoft.com

rights.
> "Rodney" <newsmonitor[NOSPAM@]ducomagic.com.au> wrote in message
> > We have Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 running in native mode.
> Client
> > is Outlook 2003
> >
> > There are two Public Folders that are e-mail enabled.  I can send email
> > them and in Outlook I can see the list of mail items however when I (as
> > administrator) go to open them I get the message Can't open this item.
> > Unknown Error.
> >
> > The strange thing is yesterday, when I set up these folders and sent a
> test
> > message to them - I could open them.  Now today I cannot open any of the
> >
> > I can however delete the items!  I can post to the folder but again
cannot
> > read my post!  I can also delete the post.
> >
> > Can anyone please tell me where I may be going wrong or what I may be
> > overlooking.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rodney (AU)

0
rafael1119 (59)

How to send a form to my email address
I am trying to create a form in my website which I would like the page of content send to my email address. I use "Insert"-"Form Control" to build a page of the content. I added the "Submit" button to send the form content to my email address. However, when I published the website, and click the submit button, there are error message for it as: "The page you tried to access does not exist on this server. This page may not exist due to the following reasons: 1. You are the owner of this web site and you have not uploaded (or incorrectly uploaded)...

Exch 5.5
I have set up the IMC's Message Filtering to disable a previous employee from sending mail from his home email address in to our server. I am now being asked to block internal users with accounts on our server from sending out to this users home email address. Is there a way to block outbound email to one email address? We are running Sybari Antigen on our server but I can't see of a way to do this with that application either. ...

Reading .wks file

Multiple *.pst in the Folder List ?
Dear All: I'm still trying to find a way to bring multiple *.pst to the folder list. I have about 20 pst folders created in OL 2000 since there was the 2 gig limit. Some are merely archives of emails created over the years ( OL 97 > OL 2000 ) etc. I 've tried to open them and bring to the folders list. However I get a out of memory and resources error message. The machine is a 2.4 gig mhz dual cpu and 2 gig of ram , 500 gig raid hard disk. I've now got several key files, ( business A , business B etc) that are open but it is a real PITA to continue to remove the pst folder...

External emails off
Hi, Environmet: 1 - 2-node cluster running Win Server 2k3 EE as DC and SQL DB. 2 - ISA 2004 SE server with Allow All Outbound connections from internal to External and proper SMTP and SMTPS rules. 3 - Exchnage 2003 EE. 4 - 50 users on XP Pro SP1. 5 - No AV. Problem: Up to 10 days back, everything went fine and dandy. Then, some sudden unknown problem happened that stoped users to send external emails. After several attemtps, Exchange server was fully formatted and re-installed on the same previous exchange configuration that existed in the AD. Now, external world is completely off. No ...

How do I change the default location when saving Email attachment
When saving an Excel file that I opened from an Email attachment, I want to be able to change the default file folder to save the file in. In Outlook, I am able to change only the default file folder for attachments that are not yet opened. Once the file is opened in Excel (or Word), the default folder is still the original folder name. So far, I have not been able to find a way to change this default folder name. I don't think you can change this behavior for just email attachments. But Jim Rech posted this: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_fr...

error attaching file to email
Getting the error: File Upload Failure There was a problem while attempting to upload the requested file. Check the path and try again. The file is a pdf, about 74 KB. Any ideas?? ...

Public variable does not retain value
Hi Folks, I have a VBA module that: 1) creates a custom spreadsheet 2) creates a temporary command bar 3) adds vba code to the workbook module for specific events 4) controls toolbars per work sheet using event handlers When the new custom sheet is created a toolbar is created (if not already in existence). Near the end of the main module, to activate the toolbar, I am using Code: -------------------- Worksheets(2).Activate Worksheets(1).Activate -------------------- thus triggering the "Workbook_SheetActivate" code (which is created/added by the mainsubroutine ). The...

File won't open as read only

Who is the recipient for Case Email Templates?
Hi If we use the email template to send an email in a Workflow Rule for a case, who's the recipient for the email? I understand we cannot select the recipient when an email template is used in a workflow but does it send to the email addr in the Account Email field or to the email address of the Primary Contact for the Account? My testing seems to say it sent to the Primary Contact. Is there any way to make it send to the email address in the Account record? Thnks, Jeffrey Au CORCEL SYSTEMS SDN BHD, www.corcelsystems.com We design and develop business-led database-driven web applica...

Read mail arn't marked as read anymore

Accessing an email account programmatically
Hello, We have Exchange 2K (moving soon to 2003) that serves all our users - about 1500. I need to access a particular email account programmatically for one of my applications so that I can get emails and respond based on certain biz logic. Understandably the Excahnge admin is hesistant in letting me do anything "fancy". What options do I have to be able to access one or more email accounts programmatically and what if any are risks associated with each of those methods. Any pointers to whitepapers discussing these would also be helpful. TIA, Sanjay. I can't provide you wi...

lost email folder in winmail
I have winmail and had an additional folder in it to receive another family member's email. That folder is no longer there. Any ideas of how or where I could find it? Its not in my recycling bin. I have done searches and found nothing. If the missing folder is not in your Deleted Items folder, then try a manual run of the message store compaction. Go to Tools, Options,=20 Advanced, Maintenance, and change the "100" runs to 1. Close Windows = Mail, which will then prompt you to allow a compaction; do so, and let it = complete. When you reopen Windows Live Mail, be...

Shared folder on XP
how to allow more than 10 users to access shared folder on Windows XP? On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:16:01 -0700, Jaleel <Jaleel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how to allow more than 10 users to access shared folder on Windows XP? I would ask in a Windows NewsGroup. ...

reading confirmation

Junk emails
I keep receiving messages with attachements to them. I receive many maessage from people I do no know and Outlook blocks them. It is has if somebody had access to an address book and sends email to everybody. How can we stop that You can't stop it since it is virus activity on a machine other than your own. You can download SpamBayes and use it to start filtering these mails. You don't say what version of Outlook you are using but 2003 does a pretty good job of filtering these mails for me. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discus...

Exchange 2003 email filtering
I received a request to begin blocking all non-business related emails. If possible I would like to use some type of whitelist and have the ability to apply the setting based on some type of group membership. Any suggestions? Thanks. Adam Choose one of many antispam products. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:598308BA-F410-4C60-B063-2AB31D709EFC@microsoft.com... >I received a request to begin blocking all non-business related emails. If > possi...

Public Folders -- Unable to set permissions and replicate them to subfolders
I'm trying to give permission to users to read and write to a public folder. I keep getting Access Denied(logged in as Administrator) and Invalid Window Handle. I am running Exchange 2003 SP2 on a Win 2k3 server. Any help would be appriciated. /aerogel On 10 Nov 2005 08:16:14 -0800, "aerogel" <lundholmster@gmail.com> wrote: >I'm trying to give permission to users to read and write to a public >folder. I keep getting Access Denied(logged in as Administrator) and >Invalid Window Handle. I am running Exchange 2003 SP2 on a Win 2k3 >server. >Any help ...

The memory could not be "read".

how can i copy a document to a CD without making it read only?
HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? You can't. It is not the file, but the media, that is read only. Even CD-RW media does not allow editing a file on the CD. Copy te file from CD to HD, mak edits and if a CD-RW you should be able to burn the edited file back to the CD. hth "DON" wrote: > HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? ...

How to change the page orientation on one page in publication
I'm working on a publication and I need to change the page orientation to landscape on several pages, but not the entire document. How would I do that? Thanks, You can't in the way you're thinking. However............you can start a new document in landscape, layout the page you need, select all, group it, copy it, and then paste it into the portrait oriented document. Rotate it 90�. (You can ungroup if you need to move anything around individually after it's been inserted into the target document.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "JuneJ" <J...

Unable to Read Japanese Email
I correspond with several Japanese users and can read emails from some of them without a problem, but emails from others are nothing but a series of ?????. In one case, I can read one email but not another from the same sender. Changing the Encoding doesn't help. Sending emails in Japanese to them without a problem...they can read it fine. Would appreciate any suggestions/solutions as I'm stumped. I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP Home operating system. Japanese language support is installed. ...

Transferring read e-mail to another folder
Hello I was wondering whether there was a way in which I could automatically transfer my e-mail that has been read into another folder, such as "Old e-mail" or something like that? Thanks ...