Can't Open Public Folders

I have an Exchange 2003 server w/ Windows 2003.  This Exchange server was
originally a BDC and we recently demoted it to a member server.  Since that
time, I have been unable to open the public folders.  I get the message,
"Unable to open the folder.  This folder cannot be opened because there is a
configuration problem on the server."  I also get the same message when I go
to Outlook and try to open the Resource Scheduling tab in the Calendar
options.  I have tried to research the problem, but I'm not finding exactly
what I need.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0
kelmel (23)

any warnings/errors in the application log?

"kelmel" <kelmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Exchange 2003 server w/ Windows 2003.  This Exchange server was
> originally a BDC and we recently demoted it to a member server.  Since
> that
> time, I have been unable to open the public folders.  I get the message,
> "Unable to open the folder.  This folder cannot be opened because there is
> configuration problem on the server."  I also get the same message when I
> go
> to Outlook and try to open the Resource Scheduling tab in the Calendar
> options.  I have tried to research the problem, but I'm not finding
> exactly
> what I need.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0
seth9812 (35)
10/4/2006 9:57:01 PM
Demoting a DC after exchange is installed is unsupported:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822179/en-us

I would work on getting another server setup in the same AG and
moving all mailboxes/content/roles to this server.

Todd

"kelmel" <kelmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an Exchange 2003 server w/ Windows 2003.  This Exchange server was
> originally a BDC and we recently demoted it to a member server.  Since
that
> time, I have been unable to open the public folders.  I get the message,
> "Unable to open the folder.  This folder cannot be opened because there is
> configuration problem on the server."  I also get the same message when I
go
> to Outlook and try to open the Resource Scheduling tab in the Calendar
> options.  I have tried to research the problem, but I'm not finding
exactly
> what I need.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0
tbooher (148)
10/4/2006 10:24:23 PM
No, I don't have any warnings in application log.  Another post suggested I
set up another server, but I don't have another server that would be
available.  We found out, after the fact, that demoting an Exchange server is
not supported but so far, everything else has worked just the way it is
suppose to on the server.

"seth" wrote:

> any warnings/errors in the application log?
>
> "kelmel" <kelmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an Exchange 2003 server w/ Windows 2003.  This Exchange server was
> > originally a BDC and we recently demoted it to a member server.  Since
> > that
> > time, I have been unable to open the public folders.  I get the message,
> > "Unable to open the folder.  This folder cannot be opened because there is
> > configuration problem on the server."  I also get the same message when I
> > go
> > to Outlook and try to open the Resource Scheduling tab in the Calendar
> > options.  I have tried to research the problem, but I'm not finding
> > exactly
> > what I need.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0
kelmel (23)
10/5/2006 1:02:01 PM
yeah i knew that but for some reason didn't pick up on it when i first read
it
changing server roles with exchange 2003 installed is not supported

> No, I don't have any warnings in application log.  Another post suggested
> set up another server, but I don't have another server that would be
> available.  We found out, after the fact, that demoting an Exchange server
> is
> not supported but so far, everything else has worked just the way it is
> suppose to on the server.
>
> "seth" wrote:
>
>> any warnings/errors in the application log?
>>
>> "kelmel" <kelmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an Exchange 2003 server w/ Windows 2003.  This Exchange server
>> >was
>> > originally a BDC and we recently demoted it to a member server.  Since
>> > that
>> > time, I have been unable to open the public folders.  I get the
>> > message,
>> > "Unable to open the folder.  This folder cannot be opened because there
>> > is
>> > configuration problem on the server."  I also get the same message when
>> > go
>> > to Outlook and try to open the Resource Scheduling tab in the Calendar
>> > options.  I have tried to research the problem, but I'm not finding
>> > exactly
>> > what I need.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0
seth9812 (35)
10/5/2006 3:48:03 PM
I don't know if anyone is still following this post, but I think I found the
answer.  When I went to the properties of the public folders in System
Manager, there was no information for replication.  I added the correct
information and it seems to be working now.

"Todd Booher" wrote:

> Demoting a DC after exchange is installed is unsupported:

> I would work on getting another server setup in the same AG and
> moving all mailboxes/content/roles to this server.
>
> Todd
>

> "kelmel" <kelmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have an Exchange 2003 server w/ Windows 2003.  This Exchange server was
> > originally a BDC and we recently demoted it to a member server.  Since
> that
> > time, I have been unable to open the public folders.  I get the message,
> > "Unable to open the folder.  This folder cannot be opened because there is
> > configuration problem on the server."  I also get the same message when I
> go
> > to Outlook and try to open the Resource Scheduling tab in the Calendar
> > options.  I have tried to research the problem, but I'm not finding
> exactly
> > what I need.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0
kelmel (23)

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

change default outlook folder name
can I changed the default outlook folder names? like Sent Items, Deleted Items, Junk E-Mail etc. because I'm connecting to a IMAP server which has it's own set of folders for the exact same functionality. it's very annoy to have two sets of folders, and I can't seem to change these on the IMAP end, so how I can change the Outlook folders to match my IMAP server, if it's possible. thanks! you can't change the default names. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart...

Problem trying to open old money file

Public Folders #3
Hi there- We've just implemented Microsoft Outlook as our new e- mail client, and I've been working a bit with Public Folders. I posted several messages with attachments last week, and they were accessible for about a week, then mysteriously disappeared. Is there a time limit or usage limit determining how long a posted message stays available? Thanks for any responses! ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

combining folders(calendar, inbox,,outbox,contacts,etc)that appear in two places
I need assistance in configuring my Outlook, particularly since I just started to receive my email via outlook. I have folders with the same labels and names in"Outlook Today" and "Personal Folders". The calendar with information and listing of all tasks are in Personal Folders section with Outlook Today being empty. I believe my email is coming into Outlook Today area. I would like to consolidate these areas, I think under Outlook Today, and learn more re when to use what. The outlook today is synchronous on our LAN but there is nothing of import there thus defeat...

Creating folders from Excel Columns

sorting folders in address book
Any way to sort folder in address book in Outlook 2000? Running XP Home. -- Yaderp Peeing on an electric fence is one of those life lesson you only have to be taught once. ...

opening links

cannot open excel file from outlook

Exchange Public Folders W/OUT CLASSIC?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C3D9EE.0890D860 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I keep hearing that there is a new version of Mac Office coming out that = will run on OS X and have full native support for Exchange Public folder = use in outlook...Any word on this? --=20 Scott McDonald ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C3D9EE.0890D860 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Tr...

EXCEL Files open Slow

Opening a second mdb file from an open mdb file
I have two mdb files (one used for general department use and the other for detailed reporting). For ease of maintenance, I'd like to keep these mdb files separate, but I would like to have the ability to open the second mdb file from the general dept Access program. Is there an exisitng macro or VBA code I could use to accomplish this task? Thanks for your help. Sure, you can easily just shell out to another app: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm or even create a hyperlink that opens the file. Just create a label, go to the property sheet and enter a path in the hype...

Directory Open
Hi, I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, not to open a file but to open a directory. How should I do it? I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for opening just a directory and not a file. I just want to read in the user selection of directory and the file name will be set in my application. Thanks! On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:15:36 -0800, Dave wrote: > I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, > not to open a file but to open a directory. > > How should I do it? > I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for ...

Excel won't open in Office XP
Hi all, I have had a problem for the last few weeks opening up my Excel files When I try to open the files, a Window Installer dialouge box appear looking for the Office XP Professional Disk. My Office was preinstalle by my school, which is now complete. If I cancel the Window Installer consectutive times it leaves my new Excel document open and I can work Does anyone know what I need to configure to have Excel open up normall again ? Appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks, 'Kusty' (kusty@accesscomm.ca -- kust --------------------------------------------------------------------...

I do not have Excel on my computer. How do I open an attachment w.
How do I open an attachment in my e- mail with an XLS file, if I do not have Excel installed on my computer? My model is Windows XP Home. You can use the free viewer available from microsoft web site that only allows viewing. Or, you can find a copy of open office/star office that allows you to import excel files. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF00A029-F488-4D1D-8257-B55F4E96A681@microsoft.com... > How do I open an attachment in my e- mail with an XLS file, if I do not have > Excel ins...

Open File IF Not Opened
Goodmorning! I was looking for someone who could tell me how I could make a Macro Appliction open files only when there not opened. When a file is allready opened it should be left at alone. When a file is being opened, this file should be granted the opportunity to update it's pivot tables and carry out any external links. I hope someone has the answer! Thanks in advance! Here's some code that might help. It tests whether a file is open: if it is it activates it, otherwise it opens the file. If IsWindowOpen(lStr_FileName) Then Windows(lStr_FileName).Activate ...