Can Exchange administrators secretly read user's email without their knowlege?

This is a simple question and your help will appreciated. If I were an
Exchange administrator, can I read a user's email without their
knowlege?

On 7 Jun 2006 06:44:37 -0700, "PizzaPete" <terryleemundy@comcast.net>
wrote:

>This is a simple question and your help will appreciated. If I were an
>Exchange administrator, can I read a user's email without their
>knowlege?

Yes.
With the proper permissions that arent there by default in E200x.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821897
"How to assign service account access to all mailboxes in Exchange
Server 2003"
0
adavid (8731)
6/7/2006 1:48:17 PM
Yes is the short answer. There would be an event log entry indicating you
had accessed the account but there are many legitimate reasons that can
create the same entry and your user is never going to see the Exchange
server event logs anyway.

Nue
"PizzaPete" <terryleemundy@comcast.net> wrote in message
> This is a simple question and your help will appreciated. If I were an
> Exchange administrator, can I read a user's email without their
> knowlege?

0
imaneophyte (3005)
6/7/2006 1:52:10 PM
By default no.  If they also have permissions to change permissions in AD,
then they coulkd give themselves permission to do so.  A 1016 is logged in
the application log whenever a user accesses another users mailbox however.
The problem with the 1016 is that it doesn't specify the folder accessed.
You also get a 1016 when a user does open - other users mailbox - calendar
to view or direct books.  If you are concerned about this, you need to
review roles, permissions, and processes in your organization.

"PizzaPete" <terryleemundy@comcast.net> wrote in message
> This is a simple question and your help will appreciated. If I were an
> Exchange administrator, can I read a user's email without their
> knowlege?

0
John

OWA email subject dropdown menu?
Can someone please help me with customizing OWA: I need a drop-down menu in (or before) the Subject box. The users need to choose from 10 basic subjects, after which they can specify it on the subject box. Thanks prem "Prem" <premmetje@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:3b92875.0502160207.48a26920@posting.google.com... > Can someone please help me with customizing OWA: > I need a drop-down menu in (or before) the Subject box. > The users need to choose from 10 basic subjects, after which they can > specify it on the subject box. > > Thanks > prem Which ve...

Exchange Rate
Does anyone know how to use a formula on Excel to calculate exchang rates? Thanks, Mat -- matt.bowse ----------------------------------------------------------------------- matt.bowser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3592 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55713 =A1/A2 -- Gary's Student "matt.bowser" wrote: > > Does anyone know how to use a formula on Excel to calculate exchange > rates? > Thanks, > Matt > > > -- > matt.bowser > --------------------------------...

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

How do I manage vbscript between compose and read page
Hi, I have designed a custom Outlook 2007 email form with a separate compose and read page. It's using vbscript to automatically compose the subject line on sending, based on selections the user makes from several comboboxes. The read form does not have these comboboxes. When opening the mail on a machine with the vbscript debugger installed, the debugger kicks in and reports an error because the vbscript refers to objects that don't exist on the read page, only on the compose page. You can ignore the error and the mail will still open fine (users with no debugger insta...

Can't send/receive

Microsoft Exchange Server #4
I need help. Everytime a send an email in Outlook, a window pops up with "Request for data from Microsoft Exchange Server". It takes 1-2 minutes for the request to run out. If I cancel the request, I have to restart outlook and it just starts over again everytime I send an email. Does anyone have suggestions on how to prevent this from occuring? Are you using an Exchange server? What version of Outlook? What SP = level is Offiice/Outlook? --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, Randy a...

Can not Customize Leads View

Exchange Interface
I need to interface to Exchange directly. I have a windows service that needs to interface to an object that can: - Connect to a dedicated user Exchange mailbox specifically setup for the service. - Retrieve a list of messages within that mailbox - Download an individual message - Remove an individual message - Disconnect from the Exchange mailbox - Do all of the above from a remote machine This must be done in .NET using native code. Does any know where to find documentation on an API into Exchange? Thanks bbutell@sasquatch-eng.com wrote: >I need to interface to Exchange direc...

Bulk attachments

Controlling how user posts a blog
Is it possible to control how items are posted on to a blog? The blog owner would like the readers to be able to respond to his posts but he doesn't want readers to create a new thread. thanks in advance ...

Upgrade to Exchange 2007
We are planning on moving to Exchange 2007 in the next few months. We have a new server for this, and it will only be a one exchange server enviroment. We want the new server to have the same computer name as the current Exchange server, for naming purpose we will call it MAIL on the forum. I have read about problems renaming an exchange server. I wanted to know if this has been made easier for 2007, and what the best practice for doing this is. We want the smoothest transition possible to the new server, eagerly waiting replies. On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:36:00 -0800, Synapse120 <...

Can Not Reply To Emails

Can't delete email #2

Forward outgoing mail to email address
I have a emailbox "myinternalmail@domain.com", any time a person sends mail through this mail box, I need it forward to "myexternalmail@externaldomain.com" How can I do this? thanks All explained here: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF015.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "stoppal" <stoppal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1134773472.049384.265090@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have a emailbox "myinternalmail@domain.com", any time a person sends > mai...

How can I rename a database table?

Exchange Users have lost rights
ok all users have now lost the ability to delete or send emails all users use OWA only when they try to delete a email they get "Some items could not be deleted. They ware either moved, already deleted or access was denied" When some one tries to send a email they get "forbidin" When some one tries to move a folder or create a folder they get "Access denied" i dont knwo what i did or where to check at this point thanks Roger, check the mailbox server's event logs & available disk space. If you have front-end / back-end topology, try running OWA a...

Can (or how can) I do this

How Do I Turn Off User Password Reset?
I have a user who is having to reset their password monthly. When I look at the User Setup in GP(8.0) there are no boxes checked under User Setup. Where else would I look to turn this feature off? This user accesses GP through our Terminal Server and is the only user who is having to change their password. Thanks for your assistance. There is nothing in GP 8.0 out of the box that will require a password change (until a service pack and SQL 2005). Are you possibly running a customization or 3rd party application like Omni Security? -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "lk" <lk...