Cached vs Non-Cached

Hi all!

Can anybody give me the quickie-30-second-sccop on the pros & cons of
running Outlook in "Cached" vs "Non-Cached" mode (connectiing to
exchange/server 2003 combo)?

Thanks!

mhaase

mhaase-at-springmind.com <mhaase-at-springmind.com@> wrote:

>Can anybody give me the quickie-30-second-sccop on the pros & cons of
>running Outlook in "Cached" vs "Non-Cached" mode (connectiing to
>exchange/server 2003 combo)?

Losing the connection to the server won't make the client entirely
unproductive.

Working while disconnected is possible (but that was true with
"Off-line mode" in earlier versions of Outlook).

Access to the GC is lessened (but there's still a need to copy the
updated to the OAB which costs some bandwidth)

Repeated access to the same message transfers it only once (to the
cache).

Office workers connected to a LAN will probably not benefit from
cached mode. Those at the end of a slower connection will.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

File Handling and Caching
I am writing a C/C++ application that opens a set of files and reads/writes to these files in chunks/blocks called pages. There are two specific types of files used to store different sets of information. There are data files used to store the logical data records and index files used to store index references to the logical data records in the data file. The data file pagesize is determined by whether its storing variable or equal size records. For this discussion, we can ignore variable length data files and assume that data file pagesize is equal to a record size. For the index fi...

non-delivery report
Hi! Can a non-delivery report be send to a distribution group? And to more that 1 e-mail address?? (2 exchange admins) Thanks in advance. regards -- dktexas ...

Outlook vs. Lotus Notes in macros
One problem... we use Lotus Notes can I just replace LotusNotes where it says Outlook? "Gary Brown" wrote: > Use Windows Scheduled Tasks to run your macro at specific times/days. > The basics of the macro would be something like this.... > > '/========================================/ > ' Sub Purpose: example of how to send a file attachment > ' Requires reference to Microsoft Outlook > '/========================================/ > ' > Public Sub SendTheEmail() > Dim olApp As Outlook.Application ...

wizard in VS.NET
I just started using VS Studio.NET instead of VS Studio 6.0. In a C++ (MFC) project, I found a wizard to add a variable corresponding to a IDC_xx. But is it possible with a wizard to modifie or suppress this variable in the 2 files (.h , .cpp) ? Thanks Jack no, the wizard will not remove/modify member or control varibles, you'll have to search/find and delete the varibles yourself. Joe # "jjs" <alvend@normandnet.fr> wrote in message news:bh6d6f$g10$3@news6.isdnet.net... > I just started using VS Studio.NET instead of VS Studio 6.0. > In a C++ (MFC) project, I...

Cached Exchange mode has wrong cache?
Hi All, I have a goofball problem that I've been trying to fix to no avail. I'm using Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003, connecting to the exchange server via RPC over HTTP. Cached Exchange mode is enabled. My problem: When I'm connected to the server, all is well. However, if I lose my connection, I cannot view any messages. I get the blank gray screen with the words that say something about me having to be connected to view this message. If I restart outlook and choose "work offline," I get the cached copy of my old Exchange mailbox (on a different server) that I haven&...

Cached vs Non-Cached
Hi all! Can anybody give me the quickie-30-second-sccop on the pros & cons of running Outlook in "Cached" vs "Non-Cached" mode (connectiing to exchange/server 2003 combo)? Thanks! M mhaase-at-springmind.com <mhaase-at-springmind.com@> wrote: >Can anybody give me the quickie-30-second-sccop on the pros & cons of >running Outlook in "Cached" vs "Non-Cached" mode (connectiing to >exchange/server 2003 combo)? Losing the connection to the server won't make the client entirely unproductive. Working while disconnected is pos...

Write to file in All users folder by non Admistrator User
HI, I'm working on WindowsXp OS and VC++.I'm logged in as Administrator. I've created a file in the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Folder1\File.xml". Now when I Log in to the system as any other user( without administrative priveleges) I can not write to this file. Please let me know what shall I do to make this file writeable by non administrators. Regards, Pawan. "Pawan" <topagarwal@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1162797030.255449.322210@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > HI, > I'm working on WindowsXp OS and VC...

Outlook 2003 problem with Cached Exchange Server Mode
Outlook 2003/Conjunction with Exchange 2003 has something called Cached Exchange Mode. If user uncheck this box then the local copy of the mailbox will not be created. I have lots of Shared mailboxes in our call center and users do create Cached copy of these mailboxes by accident. I want to remove this behavior so users can not create Cached Exchange Mode. We use separate profile for every mailboxes. How can I remove this default out of the box behavior check box so users, when creating profiles does not have to uncheck or check the box and no cached Exchange Mode/local copy will be cr...

counting non occur entries
hi all, i have two lists L1 in the range A2:A30 and L2 in the range K15:K240, like to know the number of occurrences in L1 which do not occur in L2. thanks for any help Hi COUNTA(A2:A30)-SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2:A30,K15:K240,0)))) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "excelFan" <excelFan@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2C8CC295-2A8E-4E9B-BDDB-106AF4090ABE@microsoft.com... > hi all, > i have two lists L1 in the range A2:A30 and L2 in the range K15:K240, like > to know the number of occurrences in L1 which do not occur in L2. &...

To Cache Mode or not to Cache Mode
Folks, I am keen to get your views on Cached Mode. We are about to upgrade to Office 2003/Exchange 2003. We have had performance problems with the Outlook client in our current environment of Outlook 2000/Exchange 2000(the infamous 'Requesting Data' Message). Cached Mode would seem a given however we have many laptop users. Our security guys are worried about OST's being accesible if the laptop is lost. A combination of tools such as Locksmith and a password cracker for password protection on OST/PST's could be used to access the mailbox. It would be interesting to know wha...

Were non-gradient chart patterns left out of Excel 2007?
Most of my graphs have to be black and white and are best produced with simple left or right diagonal line fills, dots, or the like. In drawing bar charts in previous versions of Excel, one could always click (focus?) on a a bar or series of bars and then click on format data series->fill effects-> pattern and easily obtain such effects. Does anywhere here know whether the same is possible in Excel 2007 and, if so, how? I've search the menus and can't find that feature. Thanks in advance, Art On Aug 27, 5:39 pm, Arthur Tabachneck <art...@netscape.net> wrote: > Most ...

When to save document to *.docx vs. *.docm
My understanding is the intent of these extensions is: - "docx" is for documents that do NOT have macros - "docm" is for documents that DO have macros But what if the document's attached template contains the macros, and the document itself doesn't? We use a versioned template for our documentation that contains all our VBA macros for doc automation (e.g. "CoprorateTemplate.docm"). Is it ok to save the document as a *.docx? (e.g., "document.docx"), if the document itself contains no macros? Word allows this, but I&...

XP Icons in VS 2002
Similar question to an earlier post, but we have moved on... How can we open XP icons in Visual Studio. There are some sample XP icons here: http://www.icongalore.com/download/xp-icons.zip However if we try to open any of the 32bit icons in Visual Studio, they have a solid black border and any drop shadows also appear solid black. The icons look great in Windows Explorer, so what is the point of creating fancy XP icons, if we can't open them in the development environment! HELP! "GT" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4524e72b$0$6584$9a6e19ea@unlimite...

Cached Mode and GAL problem
Hi, I got a strange problem about GAL in Cache mode, we used E2K3 SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP2, the problem is lots people could not find contacts who ever showed in GAL sometimes, I have asked the clients to delete current OAB files then download the fresh one, yes, this way could solve problem, but some days later, the client will meet the same problem again even I could see the OAB files is up to date, any suggestion? thanks in advance. Do you have more than one public folder server? Perhaps one doesn't have a current replica. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world...

Statistics on the popularity of Workgroups vs. Active Directory
Hi All, I am looking for statistics on the use of Workgroups vs. Active Directory. The licensing model for our product depends upon whether the client is a member of an Active Directory Domain. Supporting Workgroups may be problematic for us in the future, so we are wondering if there are numbers somewhere that might help us asses the impact of our decision. Cheers, Geoff Hello GLT101, Do you like to manage on each machine the same local user accounts and passwords for shared folder access? Each time on one machine it is changed, for full access you have to change it ...

MFC vs. .net for desktop application
I need some advice for choosing the best language/IDE for a new desktop application. I've narrowed the choice down to VC++ MFC vs .net (any language) I realize this news group will be biased towards MFC, but I also expect readers here will know MFC well. (suggestions for equivalent .net newsgroup welcome) Some specifics of this project are: + For windows 98 to XP + To be released in March 2004 + More user interface intensive than computationally intensive + User interface to include: - Strip of shortcut buttons/icons down the left, similar to Outlook - Tabbed pages ...

Outlook cached mode
Hello, I use outlook 2003 in cached mode and exchange 2007. Everything was working fine, but: Last week my mailserver was down for several hours, i fixed the problem, but after that, outlook 2003 is not updating anymore in cahced mode. When i turn cached mode off, i see all my mails, if i turn cached mode on, i see only the mails before the crash, althoug outlook is saying that all folders are up to date. Any help? Tx, Since Cached mode creates an .OST file, the simple fix would be to delete the .OST file and let it rebuild. Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Enginee...

Non-editable CRichEditCtrl... caret problem
Hello, I have a Rich Edit Control that I want to use to just view RTF, no editing, no selecting, nothing. Everything works so far except that the caret will appear if I scroll the window, but goes away as soon as I do anything else. Basically it's a minor annoyance cause it goes away, but the point is I still saw it. This is the code I use... am I missing something in order to make sure that caret never appears? Or did I do something wrong already? The problem seems to come from the SetFocus method call, but without it I can't scroll with the mouse wheel. Thanks, Andrew // CMyRi...

Quotes
Hello - We are seeing an issue with a customized SRS report we use to generate Quotes and I'm hoping someone has some ideas. When a quote is generated and the sales rep adds the products then needs to remove a product, the product still displays in the SRS report. This is after a refresh both from the Report viewer and closing out and reopening the Quote again. We've found that by Activating Quote>Revise>Activate it will remove this, but I am wondering if there is a cleaner way to do this. We see this behavior when the quote is still in Draft status. A possibly r...

Mac vs PC
For a colleague teaching stats with Excel: does anyone have a list of topics to help students with Macs working from an Excel book which talks only about PCs? -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email Don't know of any just for XL - to me, at least, there's not that much difference. There are certainly interface differences - many keyboard shortcuts are different (but are listed in Help - and depend on which version), and they are almost completely customizable in the UI in XLv.X and XL04; MacXL has a contextual Formatting Palette that consoli...

contactcoll.cache
Hi there, windows xp SP3 I have dumped/trasfered to whole of the C: drive onto my USB external hard drive for safe keeping It is connected to another xp sp3 PC....I have a file on there that is contactcoll.cache - CACHE File, this is my email contacts. Is it possible to open them on the external hard drive. Steve "moonraker" wrote: > Hi there, windows xp SP3 I have dumped/trasfered to whole of the C: drive > onto my USB external hard drive for safe keeping It is connected to another > xp sp3 PC....I have a file on there that is contactcoll.cac...

Text Box Issues for 2003 vs. 2007
My company is running a test of 2007 on some people's machines. We have this Excel file with a graph in it. On the graph there is a text box that contains some additional information about the graph. If someone in 2003 makes a change and saves it, the text box appears in Print Preview for users of both versions. If someone in 2007 makes a change, it no longer appears in the 2003 version in Print Preview. When we save the file in 2007, no compatability issue warnings pop up. Is there a way around this? Thanks for any help!! This may be an issue of Office 2007 (excel...

How to Revert VS 2005 DataSet.GetXML() DateTime Format back to VS 2003 Format?
We have upgraded our web project to Visual Studio 2005 (from VS 2003) and are still interfacing with some legacy ASP code that we do not want to change. The problem is that the VS 2003 compiler used to serialize a DateTime as: 2006-06-07T15:00:00.0000000-04:00 Now, VS 2005 compiler is serializing a DateTime as: 2006-06-07T15:00:00-04:00 How can I tell Visual Studio 2005 to serialize the DateTime the old way? ...

How to transfer autocompletion cache to new profile?
I want to move a user to a new domain, but they do not want to lose the cached email addresses in outlook, so how can I copy this cache to the new profile? You can try to copy the NK2 file from the current profile and use it to replace the NK2 file in the new profile. Make sure you rename it to match the NK2 file name in the new profile. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Paul" <pauls@promedianj.com> wrote in message news:25c101c3c03b$16042640$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > I want to move a user to a new domain, but they > do not want to lose the cached email addresses in outlook...

Disk Cache & File Cache performance improvement
I have tried disk cache & File Cache for my NOR flash disk and it couldn't get any improvement in Writing data to Flash disk. I configured all the registry settings which specified by MSDN. In MSDN it says for CacheVMSIze default value is 32 MB. Therefore if we copy a 1MB file to NOR flash, it just should look like copying it in to RAM. but according to the observation it take the same amount of time which Writing the file directly in to NOR disk. Does the Caching mechanism provide the necessary speed for data writing or have i need to do any kind of special modificati...