Broken Exchange Information Store

I do support work for a small company, 8 users, on as needed basis.

Their system is exchange 5.5, NT-4 service pack 6.

On Friday, someone tried to email out a 190 MB video file.  Something
crashed and the information store no longer starts.

No viable back-up exists.

I have backed-up the priv.edb and pub.edb and tried using eseutil to repair
and defrag.  Priv.edb starts at 2.3 GB and defrags to 480 MB;  Pub.edb
starts at 480 MB and drops to 117MB.

Program found errors and reported corrections.

Isinteg aborts running any and all tests.

I have never had trouble with Exchange before so I'm struggling with a stack
of books, KB articles, and web help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug Sanders

0
Doug6 (6)

oh, man, are you stuck in it deep.

there are several companies out there who do exchange database recovery.  I
think it's time for the customer to decide how much this is worth and pick
an expert. Ontrack does this as do several others (google "exchange database
recovery").

when the house is on fire is no time to be learning how to be a fireman.

"Doug Sanders" <Doug6@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I do support work for a small company, 8 users, on as needed basis.
>
> Their system is exchange 5.5, NT-4 service pack 6.
>
> On Friday, someone tried to email out a 190 MB video file.  Something
> crashed and the information store no longer starts.
>
> No viable back-up exists.
>
> I have backed-up the priv.edb and pub.edb and tried using eseutil to
> repair
> and defrag.  Priv.edb starts at 2.3 GB and defrags to 480 MB;  Pub.edb
> starts at 480 MB and drops to 117MB.
>
> Program found errors and reported corrections.
>
> Isinteg aborts running any and all tests.
>
> I have never had trouble with Exchange before so I'm struggling with a
> stack
> of books, KB articles, and web help.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug Sanders

0
awebb7472 (650)
7/6/2006 6:54:06 AM
Research the eseutil program, look into the /mh /r /p options. This
utility is very good and fixing the exchange database. But as Andy
recommends, how critical is the data contained within to the customer?
is it worth spending a few more dollars or not?

Doug Sanders wrote:
> I do support work for a small company, 8 users, on as needed basis.
>
> Their system is exchange 5.5, NT-4 service pack 6.
>
> On Friday, someone tried to email out a 190 MB video file.  Something
> crashed and the information store no longer starts.
>
> No viable back-up exists.
>
> I have backed-up the priv.edb and pub.edb and tried using eseutil to repair
> and defrag.  Priv.edb starts at 2.3 GB and defrags to 480 MB;  Pub.edb
> starts at 480 MB and drops to 117MB.
>
> Program found errors and reported corrections.
>
> Isinteg aborts running any and all tests.
>
> I have never had trouble with Exchange before so I'm struggling with a stack
> of books, KB articles, and web help.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug Sanders

Thanks for the input and condolences.

I'll copy all the exchange data files to another server I've created,
renstall the Exchange so the client is at least functional and then see
about data recovery.

Thanks again,

Doug

"Doug Sanders" <Doug6@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I do support work for a small company, 8 users, on as needed basis.
>
> Their system is exchange 5.5, NT-4 service pack 6.
>
> On Friday, someone tried to email out a 190 MB video file.  Something
> crashed and the information store no longer starts.
>
> No viable back-up exists.
>
> I have backed-up the priv.edb and pub.edb and tried using eseutil to
repair
> and defrag.  Priv.edb starts at 2.3 GB and defrags to 480 MB;  Pub.edb
> starts at 480 MB and drops to 117MB.
>
> Program found errors and reported corrections.
>
> Isinteg aborts running any and all tests.
>
> I have never had trouble with Exchange before so I'm struggling with a
stack
> of books, KB articles, and web help.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug Sanders

0
Doug6 (6)

Exchange funds
I'm using MS Money 2006 in spain. Here the exchange from one fund and into another in the same account is tax-free event. What does that transaction look like? I don't see any exchange activity. If I sell and buy, Money takes the buy as cost ...

Impersonation : Exchange 2007
Hello, We have Exchange 2007 in a Cluster. The Notes connector is installed on the Hub Server and we want to migrate the emails from Notes server. I referred the following article: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb204095.aspx Even after successfully running the commands I am not able to move the mail box from Domino Notes to Exchange 2007. Is there a way to impersonate using the Management Console? Any help is highly appreciated. ...

add custom recipient exchange 2000?
How would I go about adding a custom recipient exchange 2000. I want the display in outlook to be User1 but if mail is sent it should be forwarded to whatever@outsidedomain.com. Thanks, Peretz Stern Create Contacts in Active Directory Users and Computers -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Exchange MVP www.exchangetrainer.com www.msexchange.org "Peretz Stern" <peretzstern@verizon.net> wrote in message news:vcszb.5862$t87.2519@nwrdny02.gnilink.net... > How would I go about adding a custom recipient exchange 2000. I want the > display in outlook to be User1 but if mail is sent ...

Authentication broken....
We have had CRM 3 running for about 1 month now with no problems. One of my colleagues started messing around with CRM Mobile, and since then we have major authentication issues with CRM 3. Some users can log on as normal via either the web client or the Outlook client, while others get a login prompt and their credentials are not accepted at all. IIS is set to integrated for crm, they have user accounts within crm and the restricted access box isn't ticked. Anybody seen this before? ...

exchange 5.5/single mailbox
How can I restore a single mailbox from a full backup, I have exchange 5.5, NT 4.0 stand alone setup? "walterm@pharmed.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00e801c3b451$58d5c0a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How can I restore a single mailbox from a full backup, I > have exchange 5.5, NT 4.0 stand alone setup? "walterm@pharmed.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00e801c3b451$58d5c0a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How can I restore a single mailbox from a full backup, I > have exchange 5.5, NT 4.0 stand ...

Migrate from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 #2
Good afternoon, We are looking to do several changes to our environment. First, our production domain is our forest root. Our goal is to migrate to a new forest with a dedicated forest root (One domain purely as the root, with another tree in the forest for production). This part is pretty straight forward, but what isnt so clear is how to migrate Exchange in this scenario. Our goal is to also move from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 in this process. Is there a way to use ADC or something similar to connect the two Exchange orgs while migrating across domains? I like dedicated forest r...

exchange 2003 rules wizard
Hello, I am running Exchange 2003 Enterprise server, and I am trying to set up a rule at the serverlevel to automatically reply to one of the company user's contact. I cannot find where to start the rules wizard. Any help? Thank you you cannot set up an auto-reply rule on the server...must be done at the client... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] <mimmolamarra@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1129580495.752557.296160@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > I am running Exchange 2003 Enterprise server, and I am trying to set up > a rule at the serverlevel to automatically repl...

SP 2 for Exchange 2003
I plan to upgrade our Exchange 2003 Enterprise server to SP2 from SP1, are there any bugs or any known problems I should be aware of before I do this? ...

Exchange Enterprise 2003 multiple domain hoasting question
We have installed Exchange enterpise 2003. Our goal is to use this server for backup email for our clients at different locations. We would like to setup multiple domains on this server . Does anyone know of process or document to help us to set the multiple "domain names" ? Thanks a million. arun Define "backup e-mail" for your clients. Do you mean that you want to simply "queue" messages for them until they can download them? Do you mean you want to provide mailbox access to them? Once you define (or explain better) what the objective is, an answer can be ...

DNS and Exchange 2003
ok, I inherited this network a week ago so forgive me if i dont have all the info. It seems this network is a exchange 2k3 network, single exchange server, all servers running on windows 2k3. The exchange server is not the DC. There are 100s of emails in the SMTP queue. The exchange server won't connect to at least 50% of the domains to send mail. I know a lot of these are spam trying to send the postmaster reply back. But a lot of them are business related. This company owns 2 domains and you can't even send mail from one to the other. In the queue monitor you get the "Cannot bin...

I cannot enter information in excel sheet, info bounces to top
I am entering information into an excel sheet and it bounces to the top of the worksheet and overrites information. This sheet has alot of formulas in it and some of the cells are locked. I checked to make sure they are not locked and I tried the Turn automatic completion of cell entries off but that also did not work Right-click the pesky worksheet tab, and click 'View Code'. Is there some VBA code in the window that opens? -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "Ambitious Angela" wrote: ...

Broken links?
I am currently using Microsoft Publisher to maintain a website for a student organization. Ever since I got the file from the previous web admin, I have had issues saving the web page; publisher is constantly freezing when I try to save changes I have made. Publisher will eventually unfreeze itself and correctly save changes to the publisher file itself, but now every time I tell it to publish to web, Publisher freezes at the step where the little window with the file folder transferring files to the globe and whites out. I then have to close and reopen the program, but after checking the s...

Installing Server 2003 SP 1 over Exchange 2003 SP 2
I am about to install Server 2003 SP 1 on a machine running Exchange Server 2003 with SP 2 - Has anyone heard of any issues in doing this ? I want to be prepared for everything breaking. I know SP 1 for Server includes lots of security updates but wouldn't want it messing with Exchange Security. Lemme know your thoughts Thanks Paul Hi Paul, It's recommended to run SP1. No issues. (From Exchange Server 2003 SP2 Release Notes) If you are running Windows Server 2003, it is recommended that you install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1). http://download.microsoft.com/downl...

Tasks Broken?
Out of the blue for some reason, when I recieve a task, and I click accept nothing happens. I'm not sure why.. i'm running windows 2000 TS and Office outlook version... 2003 (11.8002.6568) SP2 Any thoughts are appreciated. thanks! Yes, task requests are apparently broken if you applied the January = Outlook security update. Stay tuned.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http...

Exchange rejects Email
Hello, Can anyone tell me why Exchange would reject random emails with attachments with the rejection message of - Remote host said: 552 Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation. - I have No limit set accross the board and it seems to only happen to random emails. thanks for any help. Tim Are your users getting these NDR's or are other users trying to e-mail you and getting these NDR's? What version of Exchange? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Tim" <Myemail@here.com> wrote in message news:111c8sm18qvop5c@corp.supernews.com... > Hello,...

completely remove HQ store?
Can a store be deleted. We are trying to add a new store to HQ and there was at one time three stores. The second store went out of business and was deleted in HQ. Now when we went to add a store to HQ we chose the store ID to be 2. After doing all that and then placing it on a new POS terminal it has all of the second stores information on it. So my question is.... when you delete a store does it really delete it or does the information stay somwhere in HQ? -- Bob McQuay ADI Business Solutions Network Technician Hey there Bob ;) I'll give you both the long and the short versions;...

Broken Exchange Information Store
I do support work for a small company, 8 users, on as needed basis. Their system is exchange 5.5, NT-4 service pack 6. On Friday, someone tried to email out a 190 MB video file. Something crashed and the information store no longer starts. No viable back-up exists. I have backed-up the priv.edb and pub.edb and tried using eseutil to repair and defrag. Priv.edb starts at 2.3 GB and defrags to 480 MB; Pub.edb starts at 480 MB and drops to 117MB. Program found errors and reported corrections. Isinteg aborts running any and all tests. I have never had trouble with Exchange before so I...

Mailboxes Sizes Different on Exchange vs. Outlook
When I look up mailbox size on Outlook for one particular user, it shows a mailbox size of 100MB. When I look at the same mailbox on the Exchange Server System Manager, it shows 233MB. This is causing the user to get exceeded mailbox limit warnings. What could be causing this? There are hidden folders that Outlook doesn't count in calculation, but it's hard for me to believe that they would have 133MB. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Tony M." <TonyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C...

Revisit Deleting Store Issues
In an earlier post someone was asking about problems deleting a store due to system attendant. I have Exch 2k3 enterprise. 3 storage groups. 4 stores in one group and 3 stores in other two Groups. All seven stores have unique system attendant in AD. One of the stores in Group 1 has a problem. Moved all mailboxes to new store in SG 3. All relevant data saved. Ran isinteg and eseutil on bad store, got clean bill of health. Still, would like to delete store, and later, after reboot, add a new store. Only info I can find is a major hack in ADISEdit moving system attendant (with lot...

Exchange 2003 #23
Not sure if this is the right newsgroup, please tell me if its not. I have recently setup an exchange 2003 server, I setup all the users and mailing groups and they all showed up fine in outlook. I have added more user and mailing groups since setting the server up but they are not showing in outlooks address book. Any ideas why this is? Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers Pete Thompson Pete- How long ago did you add them? It takes a while for the address book to rebuild. -- -- Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us Http://www.briandesmond.com "Pet...

Exchange in Recovery Mode #4
I'm SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003. When a user opens outlook while on the network we get this message: Exchange is currently in recovery mode. Have looked all over and can not find an answer. Thanks, Dwayne Sun Communications Inc. On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:29:21 -0800, Sun Communications <dwayne@suncommunicationsinc.com> wrote: >I'm SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003. When a user opens outlook while on the >network we get this message: Exchange is currently in recovery mode. Have >looked all over and can not find an answer. > >Thanks, > >Dwayne >Sun Communi...

Antivurs for ISA 2004
Hi there, This is an ISA question, but since it is used in my Exchange environment I will try to ask here: Do I need any specialized anti-virus for an ISA 2004 box that I will use to 'protect' my front-end Exchange servers ? It's not really a "need". It's a desire. If you want to, you could pick one of the players here: http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/contentsecurity.asp -- Sincerely, D�j� Ak�m�l�f�, MCSE MCSA MCP+I Microsoft MVP - Directory Services www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection www.akomolafe.com Do you now realize that Today is th...

Broken site
We had a sub site that was working fine (training schedules template from MS). The one day we just got 404 whenever we went there. The site is listed in the collections structure and content and can be seen in stsadm -o enumallwebs but we can't browse to it. After giving up on everything I exported the site to a bak file and deleted the sub site. I confirmed the site was gone. Then I created the site again. Same name and url. After the "creating site" page we are redirected to the new site and get the 404 again! I thought maybe the template was broken so I created...

Fix Broken Cell Formula with VBA
Greetings, I have a cell formula that is damaged each time I run a delete to remove excess rows before a paste & copy. this formula links to a cell that is always deleted. So I am trying to repair this formula at the end of each cycle. Here is the correct formula: =IF(A11="Proximates","Click","") Here is the same formula after the delete: =IF(#REF!="Proximates","Click","") I tried to fix this in the code that does the finale copy & paste with this: Range("B2").Formula = "=IF(A11=...

Exchange 2003 Problems
Exchange 2003 allowed one of my users (using Outlook 98) to copy an empty folder onto its subfolder (with 23 items) and created a nest of subfolders that was almost 7000 layers deep with over 80,000 items (same 23 items repeated almost 3500 times). The loop continued until Exchange 2003 ran out of memory and shut off leaving a 1.8 Gigabyte mailbox that could not be purged from the server. How was this possible since the system will not allow the user to open more than 500 folders at a time (limit for MAPI) ? I did find the "Information Store Viewer" (MDBVU32) on the Microsoft websi...