Blocking Port 25

I am almost ready to put my Exchange server into production.
Currently, I have a front gateway machine that receives all e-mail via
port 25, does some spam and virus checking, and then forwards to the
mail to my final e-mail server.  I am going to keep the front gateway
machine going, but switch out the backend e-mail server.  I do not
allow any port 25 traffic to the backend machine, except for local
internal traffic.  If any remote users want to send mail through our
server, they connect to backend email server via port 587 and
authenticate themselves.

How can I do the same setup with Exchange?  I do not want to allow
outside traffic to port 25, only port 587 (I will still allow IMAP
connections from outside).

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

Jeff

Use IP restrictions on default Virtual SMTP Server to allow certain IP's
only could do the trick. Its done under the Connection Control on the
virtual SMTP server
then create another virtual smtp server that you bind to port 587, you could
use IP restrictions on this virtual SMTP server if you want aswell

/Lasse

"Jeff Grossman" <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> wrote in message
>I am almost ready to put my Exchange server into production.
> Currently, I have a front gateway machine that receives all e-mail via
> port 25, does some spam and virus checking, and then forwards to the
> mail to my final e-mail server.  I am going to keep the front gateway
> machine going, but switch out the backend e-mail server.  I do not
> allow any port 25 traffic to the backend machine, except for local
> internal traffic.  If any remote users want to send mail through our
> server, they connect to backend email server via port 587 and
> authenticate themselves.
>
> How can I do the same setup with Exchange?  I do not want to allow
> outside traffic to port 25, only port 587 (I will still allow IMAP
> connections from outside).
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer me.
>
> Jeff

0
lasse (94)
4/3/2006 6:33:32 AM
Thanks for the information.  I will give it a try later today.

Jeff

"Lasse Pettersson [Exchange MVP]" <lasse@humandata.se> wrote:

>Use IP restrictions on default Virtual SMTP Server to allow certain IP's
>only could do the trick. Its done under the Connection Control on the
>virtual SMTP server
>then create another virtual smtp server that you bind to port 587, you could
>use IP restrictions on this virtual SMTP server if you want aswell
>

>/Lasse
>

>"Jeff Grossman" <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> wrote in message
>>I am almost ready to put my Exchange server into production.
>> Currently, I have a front gateway machine that receives all e-mail via
>> port 25, does some spam and virus checking, and then forwards to the
>> mail to my final e-mail server.  I am going to keep the front gateway
>> machine going, but switch out the backend e-mail server.  I do not
>> allow any port 25 traffic to the backend machine, except for local
>> internal traffic.  If any remote users want to send mail through our
>> server, they connect to backend email server via port 587 and
>> authenticate themselves.
>>
>> How can I do the same setup with Exchange?  I do not want to allow
>> outside traffic to port 25, only port 587 (I will still allow IMAP
>> connections from outside).
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can offer me.
>>
>> Jeff

Outlook ,blocks
When I receive mail in Outlook or Outlook Express, the program blocks almost every time, certainly after I removed some emails ? Define "blocks". The 'block' we're most familiar with is blocked attachments, but it doesn't sound like you are talking about that, but if you are... See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm to learn how to get the attachments off. One popular method is Attachment Options from www.slovaktech.com. For more information on the security features, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm. If you use OE, hit Forward o...

Blocking email address
we have exchange 2003 server. we wanted to block certain email address so that no one in our organization gets that email. Could anyone tell me how to acheive this? Install an antispam service. Perhaps IMF will allow you to do this. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "ANDY" <ANDY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44892250-76C8-418D-9705-DAE7F407A699@microsoft.com... > we have exchange 2003 server. we wanted to block certain email address so > that no one in our organization gets that email. Coul...

Blocking image download automatically
Hi all. Is it possible not to download the pictures in html automatically in Office XP as it is in Office 2003? TIA Guy Not exactly since that feature was added in OL2003. You could use the ReadAsPlain feature: http://outlooktips.net/howto/plain_text.htm "Guy Cohen" <noemail@please.com> wrote in message news:emCL34GqFHA.1096@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi all. > Is it possible not to download the pictures in html automatically in > Office XP as it is in Office 2003? Outlook 2002 does not support that feature. -- Bill Rodgers MVP "Guy Cohen" <no...

"Best Practice"
Hello all, I am in the process of setting up new templates for our company. There are quite a few templates, and all have similar characteristics but slightly different information. I am creating them as .dotx files (working in Word 2007). I'm trying to figure out the best way to use Quick Parts within the context of multiple templates. There is some information (for example, addresses of different company locations) that need to be inserted into several of the templates. I'd like to create Quick Parts for doing this, and in fact have done this in one of the templat...

Why aren't blocked senders being blocked?
I have set up a domain as a blocked sender, but I keep getting emails from this blocked domain (e.g. @yahoo.com). This used to work fine in Outlook 2002, but now with 2003, this feature doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? -- Brandon IT Director Office Equipment & Supplies at http://www.presentationsdirect.com ...

Exchange Attachment Blocking
During setup Exchange 2003 asked something about attachment blocking, which I said yes to and made sure it had vbs, pif, scr, etc listed...where is this setting if I want to add additional file extensions to the list? I cant seem to find it anywhere. Dave Start here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;290499 Scenario 2. dave wrote: > During setup Exchange 2003 asked something about > attachment blocking, which I said yes to and made sure it > had vbs, pif, scr, etc listed...where is this setting if > I want to add additional file extensions to the li...

SMTP on multiple ports??
Hi, I have an exchange 2003 server with 15 users, 5 of them connect via pop. We are routing our mail through a 3rd party spam filter and need to set our firewall to only accept smtp traffic from that 3rd party server. This blocks out our pop users. Can I set up exchange to allow smtp traffic to come in over the standard port 25 and some secondary port as well? I would then change the pop clients to come in over the secondary port. Is this possible? Thanks for any input you can give me. Yes it is possible. Create a second SMTP virtual server with a different inbound port number. Nue ...

blocking senders #2
I'm considering switching to Outlook (Office XP) from OE for my e-mail. OE had an option of blocking senders based on their domain, but I can't find that in Outlook. The only thing Outlook gives me is the option of blocking by the display name or address. For example I want to be able to block everything from @internet.ch not just oiurwfgohgrh@internet.ch (or better yet everything from .ch). I can't even find a way to make outlook display the senders real address instead of a name or how to find the full header, properties & source of a message. -- Bill Mitchell To block a...

Getting BLOCKED:BLOCKED:BLOCKED in e-mails that are sent that have links.
When a user sends e-mails with links to other web-sites and the mouse pointer is moved over the link it says,"BLOCKED:BLOCKED:BLOCKED:BLOCKED" and then it gives the link URL. When we click on the link that has been sent by another internal member the link doesn't work. How can I fix this? Thank you, Micah Pokorney Well, to start with, that is a setting in your email client (Outlook?) or either in some sort of content filtering software that is doing that. Exchange does not filter the content in such a way. So, you need to start by looking at settings in the client or...

Change inbound SMTP port
Is there a way to change a port on which smtp server listens. I figured out how to change the port on which smtp sends out message but in order to telnet to my exchange i still can only do telnet server 25. Thanx You can change that in the properties of the SMTP Virtual Server on the general tab > Advanced button. -- Blog "subject: exchange" http://spaces.msn.com/members/ehlo "asdf" <dfsa@sadf.com> wrote in message news:9flWd.4426$QD1.404@fe09.lga... > Is there a way to change a port on which smtp server listens. > I figured out how to change the por...

blocking of email messages with attachments of .exe and .com exten
Hi all. I would like to know if it is possible to block email messages with attachments having .exe and .com extensions using exchange 2000. Can it be set via the exchange 2000 interface? Thanks in advance Hi This can be done with most anti-virus solutions designed for Exchange, you can find more info about them here: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/partners/e2ksolutions.asp Exchange does not have the ability to block emails based on attachment types. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "inenew...

Conditional Formatting Help Please 01-25-08
I have a datasheet form where I had several conditions depending on a couple of fields one of the fields is numeric. I have been asked to add another number field and a condition of changing back color . When opening form the last condition is being applied even though the field associated with this condition is blank. How can I fix this? Thank you for any help you can provide. You're not the only one who's totally confused! You really need to give us a few more specifics if anyone is to help you. Names of the fields involved, what you have in the Conditional Formatting of w...

outlook 2002 blocked attachments
Usint Windows xp Pro with Outlook 2002. I sent myself a e-mail from work with a file I wanted to install on my home computer. Outlook blocked the attachment as an offensive .exe. How do I get access to the blocked file? G'Day Jay, It would be a good Idea to ZIP the file before sending it, and un-zipping it on receipt - that's all you really need to do!. However, control of attachment blocking can be achieved by installing the "Attachment & Security Options" addin that can be downloaded FREE at http://www.slovaktech.com/ - the web page also has a clear description...

CAsyncSocket
In reading the MSDN library, there are a lot of statements like "A socket can be in 'blocking mode' or 'nonblocking mode'." Specifically, in dealing with the function Send(...) what happens if the receiving end isn't ready to accept? In some of the articles, it looks like it blocks, in others it looks like it ought to return with a WSAEWOULDBLOCK error. The description of WSAEWOULDBLOCK says "The socket is marked as non-blocking and the requested operation would block." So how do I "mark a socket as non-blocking"? I thought that wa...

Outlook 2002
Hi, How can I stop Outlook 2002 from blocking incoming mdb files? Thanks Simon Have them send to you in a compressed format is the best way to go. If this is not possible you can unblock it as well (still not recommended); http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/blockedattachments.htm -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Simon" <Simon@Simon.com> wrote in message news:OPy$lDMPEHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > How can I stop Outlook 2002 from b...

How to block Zip files
I just noticed that outlook is letting users accept any file as long as it is in a zip file . I want to now block Zip files. How do I do this? You can do this by installing the admpack.exe available in the Office Resource Kit. Other options might be available on your corporate firewall or virusscanner. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "AlanM" <nooneatall@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:eUGllA9ZEHA.1840@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I just noti...

How to install a COM PORT hook
I'd like to install a COM PORT HOOK, so I can capture all events of RX and TX in a serial port. Can I do that without having to make a device driver? Do somebody have any clue where I can find some information? []'s reno wrote: > I'd like to install a COM PORT HOOK, so I can capture all events of RX and > TX in a serial port. > Can I do that without having to make a device driver? > Do somebody have any clue where I can find some information? > > []'s > > > There is a freeware tool that does this. Yes, it requires a custom device driver: ...

Blocked Senders
Why is it that my questions are never answered and don't seem to appear here? I am unable to unblock senders. I have tried from the website and within Windows Live Mail all to no avail. After a short period of time they always reappear! Please help! Pretty please. Thank you. On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:05:30 -0700, Bruce3e <Bruce3e@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Why is it that my questions are never answered Yes they are. >and don't seem to appear here? Yes, they do. Perhaps because you're using a crappy web interface? From: Bruce3e <...

how to block exe from exchange 2003
Hi i would like to know can we block exe as attachment from exchange 2003. awaiting for someone's reply regards Abhishek Dahibhate Without writing some custom code for Exchange, you will have to use a 3rd party application. Most antivirus software packages will do this. -- Jim McBee Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com Web: http://www.somorita.com <abhishek.dahibhate@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1136856536.492574.320500@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > i would like to know can we block exe as attachment from exchange > 2003. > > awaitin...

Blocking Port 25
I am almost ready to put my Exchange server into production. Currently, I have a front gateway machine that receives all e-mail via port 25, does some spam and virus checking, and then forwards to the mail to my final e-mail server. I am going to keep the front gateway machine going, but switch out the backend e-mail server. I do not allow any port 25 traffic to the backend machine, except for local internal traffic. If any remote users want to send mail through our server, they connect to backend email server via port 587 and authenticate themselves. How can I do the same setup with Excha...

how to share blocked sender list
I'm currently using OL 2003 in an Exchange 2003 environment. I recently lost my inbox and I would like to get one of my colleagues extensive blocked sender's list that the junk email filter has accumulated. Is there any way on how to export this list and imported back in another mailbox. regards, -- Elvyn Gutierrez Pellerano & Herrera On Tue, 17 May 2005 06:19:01 -1000, Elvyn Gutierrez <elvyng@codetel.net.do> wrote: > I'm currently using OL 2003 in an Exchange 2003 environment. I recently > lost my inbox and I would like to get one of my colleagues exten...

ScanMail block extensions
Instead of making a list of extensions to block I'd rather have a list of only those extensions to allow. Is there any Anti-Virus that will do this? Thanks! Hi, you might check our Aloaha (www.aloaha.com). It does NOT have that feature yet but if you like it I am sure you will convience me to add that feature :-). To add that feature would take me onlye 1-2 days. Thanks Frank "you know who maybe" <nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:10ur9te7k4avl19@news.supernews.com... > Instead of making a list of extensions to block I'd rather have a lis...

Blocking
I have Outlook 2000 and NEED to send and recieve messages containing a URL. However it is blocking these as an unsafe attachment. I don't care if it blocks an exe.... but my accounts program generates and email containing a URL for online payment. How can I turn off the URL blocking, help anyone??? ...

Is it possible to print 4.25/5.5 Booklets? I am unable to.
I am creating Booklets in Office Publisher 2007. The booklets are 4.25 X 5.5 with a .5 margin. When I attempt to print these booklets it only renders half the pages and will not print the whole booklet. To quantify what I mean by half the page is that if I have a 12 page booklet. It will only print pages 12-7 or 12-3. What seems to be occurring deals with how publisher renders pages for printing? It automatically generates two copies of the booklet because of the page sizes but not all the pages. I will try and give you a visual example to understand what is occurring. My booklet has 12...

Exchange relay blocked
Hello, I have exch2003 server running on 2003 SBS. We have a SQL server that has to send email reports to the an SBS server email account. I have allowed relay access to the IP of the SQL server, The subnet, even allowed anyone - which I turned off later and It still blocks. I can test by 'telnet exchsrv 25' which won't even give me a banner. From any other PC on the network I connect and send email. Just this one server is blocked. Any ideas where to look?? Thanks in advance, Kevin -- RHCE, Linux+ and MCP Does the SQL Server have more than 1 NIC? May be an issue with Multih...