blocking of email messages with attachments of .exe and .com exten

Hi all. I would like to know if it is possible to block email messages with
attachments having .exe and .com extensions using exchange 2000. Can it be
set via the exchange 2000 interface? Thanks in advance
0
inenewbl (26)

Hi

This can be done with most anti-virus solutions designed for Exchange, you
can find more info about them here:
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/partners/e2ksolutions.asp

Exchange does not have the ability to block emails based on attachment
types.

--
Mark Fugatt
Microsoft Limited

"inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I would like to know if it is possible to block email messages
> with
> attachments having .exe and .com extensions using exchange 2000. Can it be
> set via the exchange 2000 interface? Thanks in advance

0
markfu (160)
11/1/2004 3:04:14 PM
The outlook client can stop you downloading the attachment.

"inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I would like to know if it is possible to block email messages
with
> attachments having .exe and .com extensions using exchange 2000. Can it be
> set via the exchange 2000 interface? Thanks in advance

0
steve1441 (21)
11/1/2004 3:12:48 PM
Stephen Aldous wrote:
> The outlook client can stop you downloading the attachment.

Yes, but why wait til it gets there? Mark's reply is a good one - and
everyone should be running good Exchange-aware AV anyway.

> "inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all. I would like to know if it is possible to block email
>> messages with attachments having .exe and .com extensions using
>> exchange 2000. Can it be set via the exchange 2000 interface? Thanks
>> in advance

0
lanwench (7567)
11/1/2004 3:20:54 PM
Yes,
I agree - best would be to reject these messages right away at the gateway
so the sender
can see in the NDR that file X with extension Y is not liked at
destination.....
Olli

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Stephen Aldous wrote:
> > The outlook client can stop you downloading the attachment.
>
> Yes, but why wait til it gets there? Mark's reply is a good one - and
> everyone should be running good Exchange-aware AV anyway.
> >
> > "inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi all. I would like to know if it is possible to block email
> >> messages with attachments having .exe and .com extensions using
> >> exchange 2000. Can it be set via the exchange 2000 interface? Thanks
> >> in advance

0
le_grass (1)

Big problem with Exchange 2000 Information store (STORE.EXE)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C41DC1.87514380 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1250" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable =20 Hello =20 For the last few days, we=92re having a huge problem with performance of = our Exchange 2000 server (sp3 installed) running on Windows 2000 Server = (with SP4), dual CPU 500 MHz, 512 MB RAM. The STORE.EXE process is using about 110 MB of RAM and the CPU = performance is always above 50-60%. (store.exe is using min 50%). During = work day, the CPU has risen to 100%, so all of our compa...

Outlook ,blocks
When I receive mail in Outlook or Outlook Express, the program blocks almost every time, certainly after I removed some emails ? Define "blocks". The 'block' we're most familiar with is blocked attachments, but it doesn't sound like you are talking about that, but if you are... See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm to learn how to get the attachments off. One popular method is Attachment Options from www.slovaktech.com. For more information on the security features, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm. If you use OE, hit Forward o...

Fowarding email
I want to know if I can foward email to my pager and exclude the header information such as From,To,Date. I just want to sent the lower message part only You might want to check the following article for a list of addins that might do what you're asking: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/pager.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:03b201c3d3c9$39be5cd0$a101280a@phx.gbl, NJCOP wrote: > I want to know if I can foward email to my pager and &g...

Restricting outbound email
I have some security concerns of people internal to my network emailing senstive files out side of the company. I would like to be able to manage what comes in, but just as importantly what goes what. Does anyone know if Exchange has any built in outgoing filter functionality or some way to achieve this. On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:05:07 -0700, mclarence <mclarence@discussions.microsoft.com> hired a team of monkeys to write: >I have some security concerns of people internal to my network emailing >senstive files out side of the company. I would like to be able to manage >what...

The email connector and IE5.5?
The Implementation Guide (page 123) states that IE5.5 is required on the exchange server to have the email router working. But on our implementation this was not true, only after installing IE6.0 the router started to work.. Is this by design? is this a typo in the documentation? anyway spent enough time on it. Stef van Hooijdonk ...................................................................... Tam Tam Business Solutions driven by reality Mercuriusweg 1a 2624 BC Delft t 015-750 20 00 (algemeen) e stef.van.hooijdonk@tamtam.nl f 015-750 20 20 w http://www.tamtam.nl b http:...

A bad email stops Outlook from receiving emails.
My Outlook 2000 throws an error message 2-3 times a weeek that it cannot connect to the server... When I look at my mailbox in Exchange2000 server (using OWA), I see my mails waiting there. But I see one email that has no To: or From: information, everything is just empty. As soon as I manually delete this email from my mailbox, I can download rest to my Outlook fine. How can I stop this blank emails? How can a blank email causing me to stop receiving emails? Any ideas? Thanks in advance... Can you open the message and check the headers if you open the mailbox directly (no POP)? TW Ne...

Printing email #2
I'm using Outlook 2003 and still can't find a way to print just the first page of an email. Am I missing something? I searched past messages and all I learned is that people have been begging for this capability for a long time--makes me wonder whether the people who design this software actually use it. ...

Duplicate emails being sent #3
Oftentimes, when I send ansd email with a distribution of more than a couple addressees, the recipients receive several or more duplicates. I use Outlook 2000 in conjunction with my ISP - Netzero. How can I run a repair on Outlook? What antivirus are you using? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Skip <skipdix@netzero.net> asked: | Oftentimes, when I send ansd email with a distribution of | more than a couple addressees, the recipients receive | several or more du...

OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module KRNL386.exe
I am running Windows 98 I have done all the updates via windowsupdate.microsoft.com. I have Outlook 2000 that I am using for e-mail and have run all the updates for this from officeupdates.microsoft.com. The problem I am having is that EVERYTIME I try to reply to a message I receive the following error : OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module KRNL386.exe.....and Outlook locks up. I have tried to repair it and also tried to reinstall it with NO success. Please help....Thanks ahead of time for your attention to this matter ...

Can't install update KB9532957...see below message for particulars
I STILL can't install: Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows XP (etc) and Windows Server 2008 R2 ( KB953297 ) More and more system blocks and failures are occuring... PLEASE HELP !!! Many thanks in advance! See the "How to obtain help" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953297 For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY (and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support c...

Blocking email address
we have exchange 2003 server. we wanted to block certain email address so that no one in our organization gets that email. Could anyone tell me how to acheive this? Install an antispam service. Perhaps IMF will allow you to do this. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "ANDY" <ANDY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44892250-76C8-418D-9705-DAE7F407A699@microsoft.com... > we have exchange 2003 server. we wanted to block certain email address so > that no one in our organization gets that email. Coul...

2007 Outlook Creating folder when saving a HTML email with attachm
In Outlook 2007, when you open an email that is in HTML format with an attachment and want to save the email and attachment (specifically to a network drive), you click on File, Save As (not Save Attachments), it creates the email message as a HTML document, but there is no attachment in that document. It also creates a new folder in the same network folder the HTML document is in with the same name. The new folder contains 3 files, colorschememapping, file list which show as XML document and a file themedata which shows as Microsoft Office Theme. Is there any way to change t...

email router setup 2
The previous thread seems to have a problem, so I'm posting this again: We have successfully installed CRM, changed the Crystal password, and moved on to the email router. We enter the server name and URL, but keep getting the message "One or more of the Microsoft CRM servers you listed is invalid or you do not have administrative privlidges on that server. Make sure that all servers are running properly and try again." a) we only have one server b) we gave permissions to all the Administrator logins and groups that we can see. c) when we browse to the URL we have to ...

Import email
I hope someone can help me. I have changed laptop, on the old one I was running outlook 6 and the new one Outlook XP (which came with office xp pro). I wish to copy the email folders (Inbox, sent, etc.) from Outlook 6 to Oultlook XP. I also need to copy the address book. If someone knows how to do it, please let me know. Sincerely, Simon File->Import and Export. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After...

Recover lost messages in send receive
I had a user logon to exchange this moring via a pop account. His send / receive window said downloading message 1 of 160. He left this running and returned later to find the process had completed, I am told there were no error messages, but there is no sign of the messages at the client. Also the messages have been cleared from his exchange inbox. Is there any way of recovering / undelete'ing messages pop'ed from exchange ? Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I had a user logon to exchange this moring via a pop account. His send / >receive window said dow...

Macro to add text to a Message
Hi all, Although I have used VBA in Excel, I have never used it in Outlook. Using Outlook 2007, What I would like to do seems simple enough but I have no clue how to do it. All I want to do is add text to the body of a message. I thought something like this would work but I get the error message "Sub of Function not defined". I know I'm missing an event or something but I'm not sure. Can someone please help? Sub APPRVL_REQ_TEXT() Dim Aprvl_Text As String Aprvl_Text = "Your approval is requested for the following contract renewals. Please a...

email server 05-27-10
how do i find out what my email server is It's usually what is after the @ sign in your address. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "kyle valle" <kyle valle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19102D3B-F4DF-4BD1-8C02-451F80E8030D@microsoft.com... > how do i find out what my email server is Your email account provider has that information. They should have a help page on their website. If you tell us who provides your email account, perhaps someone can assist you. -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail...

How to use SFO to create Appointments/Tasks/Emails for a CASE
Is there a way to use SFO's buttons for CRM Appointment/Task/Email's and link them to an existing CASE using the Regarding button? No, this is only possible in the web client. This capability will be added in MSCRM 2005. -- Alex Simons Director of Program Management Microsoft CRM ------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "Sam Marashi" <Sam Marashi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

When i read an email in outlook, why will it not show as read?
Depends on how you configured Outlook to mark messages as read in the preview pane. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, bingobones asked: >-----Original Message----- > >. >You have to configure this. In Outlook, go to Tools, click Options, then click the Reading tab. Click on the box that says "Tell me when all messages have been ...

Emails still stuck in Outbox Outlook 2007 SP2
Emails still keep getting stuck in the Outbox in Outlook 2007 SP2. When is Microsoft ever going to fix this bug? In the past I've always heard it blamed on plug-ins but my install is very clean (minimal software installed on this computer). If I exit Outlook completely and then restart, then the email will send. I'm using an IMAP account. If there is some interaction with some stealthy plug-in causing this, then Microsoft should be able to issue a patch to detect proper use/timing of the send queue... at least display an error or something. "scorpionleather" ...

Lost emails #3
I converted to Outlook 2003 through an Exchange Server yesterday. Everything was going fine. Then all of a sudden last night all emails in my Inbox were gone. This also happened to the other employee we upgraded to 2003. Everyone on Outlook 2002 did not lose any emails. I've tried to do a find, with no luck. Has this happened to anyone else? Where did they go? Can we get them back? Is there a setting that needs to be changed in order for this not to occur again? Thanks for your help. Check View | Arrange By | Current View - is there a special view set (such as Unread Me...

Sent messages viewed as spam on other domains
I've just set up a Server 2003 environment with Exchange 2003. I'm working on sending and receiving messages using the Outlook Web Access feature. I am able to send and receive messages to other domains, say address@gmail.com or address@yahoo.com. My problem is that my email messages are going into Google and Yahoo's spam folders. How do I prevent my outgoing messages as being viewed as spam? Thanks Hans On 19 Sep 2006 11:55:42 -0700, "hans" <hans.russell@gmail.com> wrote: >I've just set up a Server 2003 environment with Exchange 2003. I'm >wo...

OL2002 Copying attachments
We have a user that is trying to copy attachments from one email and paste them into a new email. He opens the original email that included the attachment, right-clicks on the attachment, selects copy. He then opens a new mail message and positions the mouse on the body of the email, right-clicks, and selects paste. Nothing happens. I have tried this on my machine and don't have any problems. He informed me that it used to work for him but quit. Our helpdesk has tried re-installing Office XP on his machine to fix the problem but that hasn't solved this issue. He gets around the proble...

CRM Queue Repeating emails
I have an issue with an CRM Queue that has been setup to convert emails to Activities. The queue itself receives the emails and converts them to activities without any issues. The issue is with the activities being duplicated (even once the original activity is deleted). It looks as though the CRM Exchange router is not flagging the message as being converted and reconverting everytime it checks the mailbox for the user. Anyone have any ideas? ...

How do I stop Outlook from marking messages as spam?
I have two email addresses going into outlook. My main business address (prettypatios.com)marks all messages as spam. While the other email address (with sbcglobal.net) doesn't. How can I change these settings? The mail goes to my inbox, with the spam notation on the subject line. So every time I reply to a message, I have to remember to delete the spam notation from the subject line. I don't want clients thinking I've marked their addresses as spam! I'm using Outlook 2003 That's not Outlook that's doing it. It's something likely happening from your ISP. C...