block owa on Back-end server?

Hi,
 I have setup a Front-End server with Exchange server 2003 and OWA works
fun. Now i want to block OWA on the Back-End server (Exchange 2003). That
means I just want our users log onto OWA with Front-End server IP address
( Http://front-end ip/exchange)and do not want users log onto the OWA with
the Back-End server IP address (Http://Back-end ip/exchange). Could you
tell me how to do it? Any idea or info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Mike
0
Mike_help (2)

You could do this by limiting what identities the Default Web Site(or
whatever web site OWA is under), on the back-end server, will answer for.
When a user types in http://<server name or IP>/<whatever>, the client's
HTTP traffic will be sent to the appropriate server.  IIS will pick up the
request, and determine which web site will answer the request.  In a
default Windows/Exchange installation, this will be the Default Web
Site(DWS).  Each web site must have one or more unique identities, which
determine what requests a web site will answer for.  For HTTP requests, a
web site's identity is composed of three things: 1) The IP address, or
addresses(IP is set to "All Unassigned", a TCP port number, and a host
header name(i.e. server name or IP; the first part of the URL above that
the user typed in).  By default, the DWS will have the following identity:

IP: All Unassigned (listens on all of the machine's IP addresses)
TCP Port: 80
Host Header Name:

This means that the DWS will answer any HTTP request that comes to it over
port 80.  If no web sites on the server(note: The DWS is the last web site
the request will hit, if no other web sites answer for it) answer for a
request(i.e. identity determines this), then the server will responde with
an HTTP 404 error(i.e. I can't find what your looking for).

When a user types in http://<front-end server name or IP>/exchange, IIS on
the front-end server will get the request and attempt to find a web site
that will answer this request.  On a default Exchange/Windows installtion,
the DWS will answer for this because of the identity that it has(see
above).  After the front-end server has done what it needs to, it will
proxy the reqeust to the appropriate back-end server.  When it proxy's the
request, the URL that the user typed in to access the front-end server will
be sent as is to the back-end server.  So, on the back-end server, there
must be a web site that will answer for the same identity that the
front-end server did(IP, TCP Port=80, Host Header Name = front-end server
name or IP>.

If you only want users to be able to get into OWA through the front-end
server, you can set up the proper web site on the back-end server with
identities that are what the user would type in to get to the front-end
server.

Ex:
A user will only type in http://<front-end server's IP>/exchange, to access
OWA.  You do not want this person to be able to get into OWA by going to
the back-end server.  On the back-end server, you only have the DWS with
the OWA directories under it.  You can alter the DWS's identity from it's
default to the following:

IP: All Unassigned
TCP Port: 80
Host Header Name: <front-end server's IP>

You can add additional identities for any additional host header names that
users would type in to access the front-end server.  If you do this, users
will not be able to access OWA directly against the back-end mailbox server.

An identity for a web site can be added or altered by doing the following:

1. Open the IIS console(the exact name of the application depends on the
version of Windows being used).
2. Go to the properties of the appropriate web site.
3. Click on the Advanced button next to the IP Address field on the Web
Site tab.
4. Set up the appropriate identity, or identities.

Note: Make sure that the web site, on the back-end server, does not have an
identity with TCP Port = 80 and a blank Host Header Value field(I've been
referring to it as Host Header Name).

===================================
From: Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]

 Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at:

===================================

0
kevynp (27)
5/27/2005 12:09:54 AM
Hi Kevyn,

Thanks a lot for the idea. I will try it and let you know.

Mike

"Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> will not be able to access OWA directly against the back-end mailbox server.
>
> An identity for a web site can be added or altered by doing the following:
>
> 1. Open the IIS console(the exact name of the application depends on the
> version of Windows being used).
> 2. Go to the properties of the appropriate web site.
> 3. Click on the Advanced button next to the IP Address field on the Web
> Site tab.
> 4. Set up the appropriate identity, or identities.
>
> Note: Make sure that the web site, on the back-end server, does not have an
> identity with TCP Port = 80 and a blank Host Header Value field(I've been
> referring to it as Host Header Name).
>
> ===================================
> From: Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]

>  Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at:

0
Mike_help (2)
5/27/2005 2:58:06 PM
Hi,

I have tried this and got problem with the error message "The page cannot be
found"...when i tried to log onto the owa. I use IIS6.0 ,on the DWS:

IP address: All Unssigned
TCP Port: 80
Host Header Value: <front-end server's IP>

I don't know how to fix this problem and could you give me any idea?
Thanks.

Mike_help

"Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> will not be able to access OWA directly against the back-end mailbox server.
>
> An identity for a web site can be added or altered by doing the following:
>
> 1. Open the IIS console(the exact name of the application depends on the
> version of Windows being used).
> 2. Go to the properties of the appropriate web site.
> 3. Click on the Advanced button next to the IP Address field on the Web
> Site tab.
> 4. Set up the appropriate identity, or identities.
>
> Note: Make sure that the web site, on the back-end server, does not have an
> identity with TCP Port = 80 and a blank Host Header Value field(I've been
> referring to it as Host Header Name).
>
> ===================================
> From: Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]

>  Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at:

0
mikehelp (9)
6/2/2005 2:31:14 PM
The 404 error will occur if you type in a URL that no web sites answer for.
 I assume the header you have listed is what you have on the back-end
server only.  Is this correct?  Is it the only header that the Default Web
Site has on that server?  What are users typing in to access OWA?

===================================
From: Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]

 Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at:

===================================

0
kevynp (27)
6/2/2005 9:42:40 PM
Yes, only on the back end server. now i add email.domain.com for the header
and it is working now. but the log box pup-up twice, sounds like i got to
logon for front and also for the back with userID and PD. i don't know way?
Could you give me any idea? we type http://front end server IP/exchange to
log onto the owa.
Thanks.

Mike_help

"Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]" wrote:

> The 404 error will occur if you type in a URL that no web sites answer for.
>  I assume the header you have listed is what you have on the back-end
> server only.  Is this correct?  Is it the only header that the Default Web
> Site has on that server?  What are users typing in to access OWA?
>
> ===================================
> From: Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]

>  Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at:

> ===================================

0
mikehelp (9)
6/3/2005 2:43:51 PM
Did this problem occur before you changed the web site identities on the
back-end server?  This can occur for various reasons such as the Exchange
and Public virtual directories not having the same authentication settings,
or a user getting redirected from one mailbox server(not theirs) to another
mailbox server(where their mailbox is).  If the second one is the case, the
user will see the URL change in their browser.

===================================
From: Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]

 Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at:

===================================

0
kevynp (27)
6/3/2005 3:58:32 PM
Yes. the mailbox is on the Back and i logon from the Front, also the URL was
changed from IP to mail.domain.com. so how could i fix the logon problem with
the Front server. I mean just logon once for all and not twice...
Thanks.

Mike

"Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]" wrote:

> Did this problem occur before you changed the web site identities on the
> back-end server?  This can occur for various reasons such as the Exchange
> and Public virtual directories not having the same authentication settings,
> or a user getting redirected from one mailbox server(not theirs) to another
> mailbox server(where their mailbox is).  If the second one is the case, the
> user will see the URL change in their browser.
>
> ===================================
> From: Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]

>  Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at:

> ===================================

0
mikehelp (9)
6/3/2005 5:15:01 PM
Without knowing more about your environment, it's hard to say.  However,
here is one possibility to try.  On the front-end and back-end servers,
match the OWA authentication settings.  Through Exchange System
Manager(ESM), change Exchange and Public to only be Basic(w/ Default Domain
= <netbios name of internal AD Domain>).  By default, a back-end server
will have both Basic and Integrated for the Exchange and Public virtual
directories.

===================================
From: Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]

 Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at:

===================================

0
kevynp (27)
6/3/2005 7:43:46 PM
Thanks a lot. I will try this. I have only one FE and one BE, both servers
are Exchange 2003.

"Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]" wrote:

> Without knowing more about your environment, it's hard to say.  However,
> here is one possibility to try.  On the front-end and back-end servers,
> match the OWA authentication settings.  Through Exchange System
> Manager(ESM), change Exchange and Public to only be Basic(w/ Default Domain
> = <netbios name of internal AD Domain>).  By default, a back-end server
> will have both Basic and Integrated for the Exchange and Public virtual
> directories.
>
> ===================================
> From: Kevyn Pietsch[MSFT]

>  Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at:

> ===================================

0
mikehelp (9)

Outlook 2007 can't connect to exchange server through VPN
I have Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2003. When I am on the same LAN as the exchange server i have no issues connecting through Outlook to my exchange account. When i connect from home or on the road through the VPN client it fails to connect to the exchange server. I can ping the exchange server with no issue (i have an entry in the hosts file for the exchange server), and i can connect to all other network resources through the VPN. I can also successfully resolve the exchange account through the Outlook properties/Email accounts. When i start Outlook it waits about 2 mins and then tells me...

problem with multiple SMTP domains in Exchange Server 2003
Hi there I have added a second SMTP domain to the Email Addresses (Policy) as follows: Recipients > Recipient Policies > Default Policy > Email Addresses (Policy) > New ... > SMTP Address > @xyz.com > (checked) This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery > to this address > Apply. When I do so, I no longer receive external emails on the first SMTP domain (@abc.com). Is this related to relay settings, or perhaps something else? Best regards Loane ...

All Task bars gone How do I get them back?
All of a sudden the other day everything at the top of my screen disappeared. I can load my word documents by searching my files and double clicking on the name but I can not Open a document inside word. I have never seen anything like this where all the buttons for using Word are gone. How do I get them back. http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm or http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP ...

SQL Server
I'm currently using MS-Access to write reports using a SQL Server db as the data source in a client/server arrangement. The database is sufficiently large (2gb) that data retrieval speed is an issue. The current setup is linked tables to the SQL Server db via ODBC, and then the usual queries. 1. Can views and/or stored procedures on the SQL Server side along with paramaterized queries provide a significant performance boost? 2. I've read that views and stored procedures can be created w/i Access. Is this the same as creating them in SQL Server? 3. Are there other things I sho...

User can not acces from home the EXchange server
Currently we allow our users to access there email VIA the web using http:yayaya.com/exchange. however one of my user's is unable to log in this way. On-site using outlook he has no problem but when he try's entering his login name and password via the web he gets a message saying username and password are incorrect. For some reason it will not validate his information. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks ...

CRM repair problem: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RepairBulkOp
Hi, got the following problem when trying to repair Mircrosoft CRM: 11:17:10| Info| Executing Install action: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.TurnOnSetupModeAction 11:17:10| Info| Executing Install action: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RepairBulkOperationProcessAction 11:17:10|Verbose| Retrieving CUserAuth data ... 11:17:10| Info| CUserAuth.UserId: {2315eb52-9a9e-da11-ad6d-00123fc10a29} 11:17:10| Info| CUserAuth.MerchantId: {b036f143-9a9e-da11-ad6d-00123fc10a29} 11:17:21| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RepairBulkOperationProcessAction failed....

Help: message "Requesting data from Exchange Server"
Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange 2000. Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? "Kenny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up >message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we >try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange >2000. > >Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? Depends to a greater or lesser extent ...

EXCH2003 - OWA
In our organization, we have a master contact list as Contacts in our public folders. In OWA we can see and get access to those contacts, but when you double-click on a contact card, the button to send email to this contact is grey-ed out. The contacts associated with my mailbox has that option available. any thoughts???? ???????? ...

Removing an exchange server member
I have a 2000 exch backend and a 2003 exch frontend setup. The front end hard disk just recently died. And so was not correctly un installed from AD. There are still elements of exchange hanging around. For instance, in the system manager. But the system manager wont let me delete the front end server under the first administrative group. Do i have to use adsiedit to remove this or is there a much simplier way. Cheers Paul To my best knowledge, it adsiedit. "Yakeni" <Yakeni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B352B981-F5B7-4527-8A48-04E3976C99D9@microsoft.c...

Getting back a deleted test frame after saving the changes
My son just deleted a text frame with all his work and started a new text frame and then when asked if he wanted to save his work he clicked yes. Is there any way to retrieve that missing text frame when it won't allow you to undo? On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:04:01 +0100, Denise wrote (in article <09056FDE-03FC-4988-8AB0-D1EA0896BFC7@microsoft.com>): > My son just deleted a text frame with all his work and started a new text > frame and then when asked if he wanted to save his work he clicked yes. Is > there any way to retrieve that missing text frame when it won't a...

HQ Client
We are trying to process 501 worksheet from different stores. But these worksheets are getting timed out. There are about 40K items on each store. We tried communicating one store at a time, but with no results. Can someone help? Thanks in advance ...

only administrators can logon into OWA
About: Win2003 and Exchange2003 I know that there were already several posts concerning this issue, but I couldn't find a working solution; perhaps my issue doesn't fit the existing ones. First I had the "Loading" screen after login (any user) but it was a SSL problem and now it's fixed. Now OWA works but only for the Administrators group members; if I add any user to this group, immediately he is able to look his mail via OWA and if I remove him not. I tried to grant "log on locally" on the DC/Exchange Server, but it doesn't work. The SMTP serviced by ...

Can't view OWA internally
I am unable to view the OWA internally unless I VPN to someone then I can view it. Externally I can view it just fine. Any ideas would be appreciated. How are you attempting to access OWA internally? Are you typing http://servername/exchange, or are you typing a name that has been registered in external DNS? What do you mean when you say you VPN to someone and then view it? You shouldn't need to VPN to anything if you are attached to the same physical network that your Exchange server is on. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Kyle S" <KyleS@discussions.micr...

How do i get send/receive back
-- Peter Please reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others. "Andrea" <Andrea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA7F81D0-A97A-4265-8676-82A0CDC143FA@microsoft.com... > ...

CRM 3.0 SDK Web Services
Hi I am writing a small data migration tool to migrate account and contact data. I have approximate 1500 accounts and 6000 contacts to import to CRM 3.0. I finished the application and ran the data migration, I will able to migrate all of the account records without any problem at all. when I run the contact migration, it can migrate 2800 contact records when it get over 2800, my application throw me the following error message: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server. I am running CRM 3.0, SQL server and my data migration on the same server. I am wonder w...

Front-end question
I don't understand very well, how FE server function.... Just download "Using Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003 Front-End Servers"but i don't understand how FE and BE comunicate in a multiple server scenario! if i have more than one FE server, how i understand which BE use which FE, when a client send a determinated mail?! I hope that my question is not very generic, for a syntetic answer....thank to all "MMC" <ryuken_26@yahoo.it> wrote: >I don't understand very well, how FE server function.... >Just download "Using Exchange 200...

web server does not open
I published a website http://a542104.uscgaux.info using FP several months ago. Accessing this site for installing/maintenance requires a user ID and password. Recently when I tried to update (the website uses FP Extensions, which I had used before with no problem) the site I get an error message with several options, none of which apply. The ID and password are correct, since I can access the cpanel by using them. But now, when I try to upload new pages from my computer, the website doesn't recognize me at all and does not even ask for the ID and password. Any suggestions...

SMTP-Virtual Server -Emails Stuck
Dear All, I have something happen here, which is UPNORMAL. We were having workgroup with 25 users, and one WinProxy Box with 2 Nic cards on it, and one connected to the LAN, and one connect to the ISP through VSAT with Real IP. No DNS internal at all, all of my users configured with Default gateway of the internal IP of WinProxy , and also able to browse internet with WebProxy client of WinProxy. Also, the mail server which is hosted in USA, we were using POP3 on MS-outlook behind the WinProxy- i mean in the configuration of outlook, we used to put the IP-Address of WinProxy i...

Server install not taking my disk 2
I'm installing from Microsoft volume licensing disks. After the installation is mostly done, while installing SQL Server Reporting Services, I get prompted to insert the next disk. I pop in disk #2 (or #3 for that matter), and it doesn't proceed - it simply continues to ask for the next disk. I'm installing to a virtual server using VMware. Also, I thought it odd that the disks are from different months, but apparently that's how it's supposed to be. Disk 1 is dated Feb 2006, Disk 2 is Dec 2005, and Disk 3 is May 2006. Any ideas of what could be wrong?? Might try...

BACKING UP ACCESS DATABASE 10-31-07
I'd like to backup my Access database automatically (no user intervention needed) to an external drive. Does Access allow such a backup while the database is "open" ? If I have to log out of Access, it defeats my purpose of wanting to do the backup without user intervention. There appear to be a number of drives and SW available to do the backup, but the question is whether Access will allow it. Basically I'd like to backup to the external drive every time a record is changed. I'm worried about losing my database if the PC crashes. If your database is that mission...

Migrating from Novell to Windows 2000 server causes issues with .PST on Win95/98
All: Hopefully someone has seen this before and can provide a clue. We are currently migrating all of our user home directories from Novell 5 servers to Windows 2000 servers. The majority of our clients are XP and Windows 2000 workstations using Outlook 2000. However, there are still a number of clients using Windows 95/98 and Outlook 98. After copying .PST files from the Novell home directory to the Windows 2000 home directory using a Windows XP workstation, users using the Windows 95/98 workstations get an 'access denied error' when attempting to open their .PST folder from the ...

downloading files from http server
hi! i've got following problem: i have to download a .dat file from http server. I'm trying to do this using CHttpFile. When the file has extension like .htm or html evetithing works fine, but when m change the extension to ..dat the program throws exception (place: pFile->SeekToEnd() - i'm doing this to get file size). How to correct this kind error? How about using URLDownloadToFile? Its rather straightforward. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "menkaur" <menkaur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22491173-E754-4958-B181-9E700...

Year End Close on Unit Accounts
Our FRX financials show at least the last 6 periods of data. On some of the financials we include unit accounts. Now that we rolled into the new year we noticed that units were in the BBF entry. Why would I want those brought forward? I suppose there a situations where this information is necessary but not in every instance. In our situation it totally distorts the YTD information. We show the number of hours that an aircraft flies month by month and would expect the YTD show total hours flown by year. Reading the posts it seems that this has not been fixed in version 8. We have...

Enabling the "From" field in OWA
I've set up a mail-enabled public folder so a customer service group can receive e-mail and respond to it. Most of them have Outlook 2003 and they work just fine. A few of them are using OWA only (2000 right now, 2003 soon) and I can't figure out how to get the "From" box to show so they can "Send As" the folder? Is there a way to do this in OWA2000? Is there a way to do this in OWA2003? Thanks for any help! --Colin See http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefromOWA.shtml "Colin" <IDoNotWantToBeSpammed@foo.bar> wrote in message news:epQDe.5434...

Set receive connector back to its defaults
Hello all I need to set the receive connector on the hub transport role back to its defaults. I am running the command set-receiveconnector -identity (name of connector) -permissionsgroup (groupnames) i can only add in one group, how can i add multiple groups to the command? What i am trying to acomplish is i dont want my hub transport server to repsond to a SMTP session unless its from the Edge server. I have tried configuring the "receive mail from remote server with ip" i added in the ip of the edge server but that didnt seem to work, as i can open up a telnet session t...