Best way to take Exchange 2003 install off a DC??

I have a client with Exchange 2003 installed on a Windows 2003 Domain
Controller that's also a GC.  What is the best approach to migrate Exchange
2003 off and retain just the Windows 2003 Domain Controller?  There is a
separate DC in the same domain that holds all the FSMO roles.  From what I
read, the Exchange server should be moved off, not the DC role.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance

0
dude4630 (24)

install exchange elsewhere, move all mailboxes and public folders, uninstall
exchange

"dude" <dude@aol.com> wrote in message
>I have a client with Exchange 2003 installed on a Windows 2003 Domain
>Controller that's also a GC.  What is the best approach to migrate Exchange
>2003 off and retain just the Windows 2003 Domain Controller?  There is a
>separate DC in the same domain that holds all the FSMO roles.  From what I
>read, the Exchange server should be moved off, not the DC role.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> thanks in advance

0
Jimmy
8/31/2006 4:09:21 PM
http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm

You are correct if you're saying that it's not supported to run dcpromo on
an Exchange server.  I am not aware of any restrictions in moving FSMO roles
from or to a DC that is also an Exchange server, if that's what you mean.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"dude" <dude@aol.com> wrote in message
>I have a client with Exchange 2003 installed on a Windows 2003 Domain
>Controller that's also a GC.  What is the best approach to migrate Exchange
>2003 off and retain just the Windows 2003 Domain Controller?  There is a
>separate DC in the same domain that holds all the FSMO roles.  From what I
>read, the Exchange server should be moved off, not the DC role.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> thanks in advance

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Exchange 2003 BCC Journaling lists BCC recipients twice
When using BCC journaling to capture messages to another mailbox, the messages where users were BCC'd have each of the recipients listed twice. Why is this happening and how do I fix it? thanks. Anyone able to help with this? It is a big problem as we are archiving for legal reasons and the journal message is not "IDENTICLE" to the original as originally recipients were only addresses once in the BCC field, not twice as the BCC journaling shows it. Thanks. "Stephen Aldous" <steve@stephenaldous.com> wrote in message news:41263cf6$0$41793$65c69314@mercury.nil...

is there a way to zoom the Excel view to the current highlighted cells..with a single click
Never mind I found it zoom to selection I wonder f theres a way to hotkey (shortcut) this? Jery ...

Best text books / manuals for MS Office (intermediate-Advanced use
What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction manuals you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE? I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a decent document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge of Access......Only used PowerPoint once....... I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I have some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see now). I have created several Excel projects with Macros bu...

There must be a way.........
There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed (not corrupted). I've researched and have not found a way. Can anybody help? <five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:hb12r5tjthdtl87hlpgrcapq9b0hd87c4e@4ax.com... > There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed > (not corrupted). I've researched and have not found a way. Can anybody > help? Yes, there is. It's called the System File Check tool. Read about system file protection here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193 On Mon, 29 Mar 2...

Outlook 2003 Certification
I am trying to get certified in Outlook 2003. I am using the Microsoft Press Inside Out book. I have found these books interesting and useful in the past. I have certs in MOUS Word and Excel 2002 already. Can anyone give me some advice who has taken the test. What is it like? What does it emphasize? Also, some links to practice exams would be nice. Last, I would appreciate some ideas in career searching on how to benefit from this certification. Thank you. Dustin ShrewdSpirit@hotmail.com ...

is there a way to hide a whole worksheet in excel?
I would basically like to place all formulae on one worksheet and hide from anyone tempted to amend. most folks know how to unhide cells etc. Even if someone knows a sneakier way of making viewing of formula unviewable Good evening Marion McFarlane To hide a worksheet go to Format > Sheet > Hide. This can be unhidden through the same menu (but use unhide instead). To hide cells from view press ctrl + 1 and change the number format to Custom and ;;; (three semicolons). The formulae will still show in the status bar, so to hide from there, press ctrl + 1 and in the Protection ta...

Automatically setting User account and exchange server
Hi All, How would I go about setting up possibly a login script that can automatically set up users account name and exchange server. I haven't really come accross what I'm after yet and was hopeing someone here would have an answer. Basically when a new user or a user with an outbox already; logs onto a different (or there first) machine that when they open outlook 2003 they have the settings for the server hosting exchange and thier user name automatically entered so that they don't need to contact us to have it sorted out. Thanks! Microsoft uses text files with a .prf exten...

Exchange Migration Issue
Hello All, I have multiple copies of email in my user email accounts after migration. I used Exchange Migration Tool to Migrate email accounts from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. Since we did not switch over to the new server right away , there were 2 days of emails still pending to be imported so I used the Migration tool again to migrate emails filtered based on date, but it seems that exchange migration has migrated all emails again, and now users have 2 to 3 copies of each email. Is there a way to remove the duplicate copies ? if so how can I go about doing that? Any pointer...

The best photographer
He is the best famous photographer.. http://club.cyworld.com/dcnomad ...

Archiving Exchange 1007
We are considering moving from GroupWise to Exchange 2007. I have been unable to find out what are the archiving options for emails. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Adrian It should of course have read 'Archiving Exchange 2007'! "Adrian" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Ol4984yWHHA.1120@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > We are considering moving from GroupWise to Exchange 2007. > > I have been unable to find out what are the archiving options for emails. > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. > > Adrian > As with pre...

New Exchange Installation
Hai friends, Iam Asaithambi, i have a plan to implement and install Exchange server 2003 in my office, but i had only " SMTP , POP3 ADDRESS AND registered domain, and have 10 user id's for that doamin. But important i have " no public ip address" if it is possible i have install and connect my domain, and send and receive my email's for that user id's Please help me to solve . You can receive SMTP mail without public IP, but you need some cooperation from you ISP (or whoever provides connectivity for you). Tell them that you are ...

Setting up Exchange 2003
I had this problem the other day while extending the schema in preparation for an upgrade to Exchange 2003. I searched through a lot of databases and search engines, and found that a lot of people have had this problem, but none of the forums led to a clear cut answer to the issue. So, I thought I'd share my solution to try and help others out, and save them some time and frustration. I was ready to call Microsoft support right before I figured this out. While running forest prep (setup /forestprep), setup failed with Error code 0XC103798A. It then specified to check the Exchange inst...

Money 2003 annoying beep
Why when I update certain totals Money 2003 makes a beeping sound from inside my computer? Not through my speakers, but from somewhere inside my actual tower. It's very annoying. In microsoft.public.money, Matt Lewis wrote: >Why when I update certain totals Money 2003 makes a beeping sound from >inside my computer? Not through my speakers, but from somewhere >inside my actual tower. It's very annoying. Try entering "sounds" into the Ask Money box of Help to see if you can find what you want. Hi Matt, Sorry, no expert I, but, you are not alone with these typ...

Exchange 5.5 #27
How can I free up some disk space on my Exchange 5.5 Server. The folder called exchsrvr is 90GB in size. The following are taking up all the space on the Server: The Priv.edb and Pub.edb under the MDBDATA subfolder. Also, the IN and OUT folder under the IMCDATA subfolder which contain Archive Folders. VJ - When's the last time you ran a defrag on the database? I inherited a message store that I thought was huge - 10gb for a 20 person user base. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? kbid=143233 For information on where to begin. I gained 30% on the first run....

Where is the best place to put notes?
We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that you can enter notes. Has anyone created a structure for their company as to what notes should be entered where? Wendy, There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several different parts of CRM. In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying to ac...

Formula help in Excel which is the correct way ?
Tax is 23 % which is h-9 Total Cost is 75,000 which is b-9 I want to create a formula in B-11 that is 23% of total cost. So I did =H9*B$11 but apparently this isn't correct so what is the correct formula ?. need an absolute reference to H-7. So if you can give me the correct formula I would appreciate i -- SSVegett ----------------------------------------------------------------------- SSVegetto's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2822 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47775 =$H$9*B9 Don't know wher...

what is the best way to resize test that "best fits" the text box
I just want to know how to resize text to fit the text box. Select the text and reduce the font size until it suits your requirements. There is no automatic function for this. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "utahjohn" <utahjohn@discussions.microsof...

What do you miss out on if you don't use Exchange?
When you use CRM3 without Exchange what do you miss out on? Antony Antony See the white paper at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2417E918-2E30-41DB-A3B2-2F800BF76FFE&displaylang=en Tells you all you should need to know Cozy "Antony" <info AT webpc DOT biz> wrote in message news:uxjZpqkWGHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > When you use CRM3 without Exchange what do you miss out on? > > Antony ...

Exchange 2010 edge server and 2007 HT server
Hi, Does anyone know whether an Exchange 2010 edge server can work with a 2007 HT server with regards an edge subscription? There will probably not be any 2010 HT servers in the org for a while. We are looking into moving to a TMG ISA server with the 2010 HT server installed on it. Thanks. Andrew. Good question. This article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd346708.aspx#ESD seems to say that you can use an Exchange 2007 Hub Transport server in edge synchronization with an Exchange 2010 Edge server but you won't get all of the new Edge 2010 features. -- ...

Outlook 2003 cached exchange mode folder size issue
Using Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003, connection via HTTP and using cached exchange mode for synching everything up. I noticed when looking at folder sizes that there are two tabs - local data and server data. The sizes for the same folders do not match, in fact the local data is about twice the size of the server data for the account with various discrepencies for each folder. When viewing the account in OWA, it is exactly the same as the account viewed in Outlook. Is this an issue with the local copy having free, unused space in the data file? Can this local file be "cleaned" to r...

Maintain ACL while migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2003 Interforest?
Hello, I am close to a migration from an Exchange 2003 Administrative organization to another Exchange 2003 organization in another Domain, also known as a Interforest move of mailboxes. I will use the "Exchange migration wizard" to move the mailboxes, but ofcourse only after the use of ADMT to merge Groups/Users from the old domain. Is there any way to preserve the ACL's set on the mailboxes in the old exchange 2003 server, while moving to the new domain and exchangeserver? The documentation of the migration wizard states it will not move ACL, but are there workarounds ...

Best way to forecast individual sales territories?
I have a spreadsheet with twelve months of sales data per territory (100 territories.) I need to forecast the next three months. The product being sold is just moving from launch phase to high growth phase, so it's still growing pretty quickly. What is the best method to forecast each individual territories' sales over the next three months? ...

Can I convert from publisher 2003 to powerpoint 2003?
Well, can I? Jar47 wrote: > Well, can I? Not really. Copy and paste. Why? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Is there a "preferred" way to update properties based on other properties?
Let's say I have a class that represents a rectangle: class Rectangle { private int width; private int height; private int area; public int Width { get { return width; } set { width = value; } } public int Height { get { return height; } set { height= value; } } public int Area { get { return area; } } } Obviously, area does not represent anything based on that. How to best keep area in sync is the purpose of this question. One way would be to simply get rid of the variable area, and make the ...

OWA/OMA Protection
<No response from other forum> Hello, I have a Exchange 2003/OWA frontend that is protected with RSA two factor authentication inside a Checkpoint Firewall. The RSA part works fine and everything is good. Now I buy a Motorola Droid and need to set up the Exchange Sync and the RSA poses a problem. If I remove the RSA protection the Droid connects to the OWA and syncs well. Calls to RSA says it will not work with a Droid so I'd have to get rid of the RSA authentication. The question is: it looks like if I want to use a Android 2.0 based Droid phone to sync with outlook...