Best Practice - Backup of Exchange

Have two Dell 2600's, one is DC and other Exchange server.
Running Windows 2003 Server and 2003 Exchange Standard
editions. Have 20 Exchange users.

Our question concerns the backup of the Exchange Server.
What is the Best Practice for the backup & more
importantly, the restore of the Exchange server?

We have third party backup software, Veritas v9.1. Should
we use just that or is there a backup routine within
Exchange 2003 or use NT Backup in addition to the Veritas
software?

Any info will be welcomed. Thanks in Advance,
Robert Villafranca
VTS, Inc.

0
anonymous (74717)

I would suggest using your Veritas Software.  It has
an "Agent for Exchange Server" component available; you
may have to buy it.  The main advantage of using this is
you will be able to backup/restore individual mailboxes,
not just the entire Exchange Database.  We use this and it
works well.

NT Backup will not do this- it will only backup/restore
the entire priv.edb or pub.edb files.  Believe me, you
WILL be asked about restoring individual mailboxes, but
hopefully will never have to restore after a catastrophic
crash.

As far as a "routine" goes, I'd suggest keeping it as
simple as possible... back up all items every night if you
can.  Keep several sets of tapes labeled mon-fri (or mon-
sun for a seven-day rotation) and rotate these.  Every
day, take your most recent backup tape(s) off-site to
protect against fire.

Good luck!

Phil

0
anonymous (74717)
12/22/2003 8:11:58 PM
Well folks we have a disagreement.  I avoid (as do many
others) brick-level backup programs, as they take twice a
long to run (as you have to backup mailboxes as well as
the Information Store), use 2-3 times as much tape and
break the Single Instance Storage when you do a restore of
an individual mailbox.

For a deployment of this size there is no need to buy 3rd
party backup software when NTBackup does the job just
fine.  I you had to backup 10 different servers I'd
recommend Backup Exec, but not for 2 machines.

I've managed Exchange 5.5, 2000 & 2003 and have never had
to restore a mailbox, ever.  If you use Deleted Item
Retention and don't manually purge mailboxes there's no
need.  When someone leaves our organization I export their
mailbox to PST and keep it on a DVD+R disk in case anyone
ever needs access to their old emails.

BUE 9.x + Exchange Agent = $1100.  At an hourly rate of
$125 any capable Exchange admin can restore to another
machine & extract a lost mailbox if need be in less than
8.8 hours.

Weigh how much it's worth to you and decide for yourself,
but I've gotten used to using the built in tools as much
as possible.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

0
anonymous (74717)
12/22/2003 9:23:12 PM
Robert Villafranca wrote:
> Have two Dell 2600's, one is DC and other Exchange server.
> Running Windows 2003 Server and 2003 Exchange Standard
> editions. Have 20 Exchange users.
>
> Our question concerns the backup of the Exchange Server.
> What is the Best Practice for the backup & more
> importantly, the restore of the Exchange server?
>
> We have third party backup software, Veritas v9.1. Should
> we use just that or is there a backup routine within
> Exchange 2003 or use NT Backup in addition to the Veritas
> software?

Only currently running Ex5.5 on win2k, but use Backup exec V9.x with the
exchange agent.
Lets me do the information store plus individual mailboxes.
One thing that deleted item retention cant handle is a user connecting via a
pop client and sucking their mail of the server. They get in and find their
inbox empty. Threw the tape in and 10 mins later, mail restored.
When we first got onto exchange, used to do the old "stop the store and back
it up".
The exchange plug in is so handy.
Im also running the backups to Ultrium 460 tape, so one drive does 6
servers, as opposed to lots of tapes.

--
Robb
'97 Firestorm

0
Robb.Edge (4)

Exchange 5.5 #27
How can I free up some disk space on my Exchange 5.5 Server. The folder called exchsrvr is 90GB in size. The following are taking up all the space on the Server: The Priv.edb and Pub.edb under the MDBDATA subfolder. Also, the IN and OUT folder under the IMCDATA subfolder which contain Archive Folders. VJ - When's the last time you ran a defrag on the database? I inherited a message store that I thought was huge - 10gb for a 20 person user base. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? kbid=143233 For information on where to begin. I gained 30% on the first run....

Where is the best place to put notes?
We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that you can enter notes. Has anyone created a structure for their company as to what notes should be entered where? Wendy, There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several different parts of CRM. In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying to ac...

Setting up Exchange 2003
I had this problem the other day while extending the schema in preparation for an upgrade to Exchange 2003. I searched through a lot of databases and search engines, and found that a lot of people have had this problem, but none of the forums led to a clear cut answer to the issue. So, I thought I'd share my solution to try and help others out, and save them some time and frustration. I was ready to call Microsoft support right before I figured this out. While running forest prep (setup /forestprep), setup failed with Error code 0XC103798A. It then specified to check the Exchange inst...

Locking down Exchange
I need to implement a new company policy that will do 2 things. The first is to delete any emails older than 90 days, the second is to prevent users from using .pst files. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I have done some research and thus far have found nothing that has told me how to accomplish these 2 things. Thanks, Todd Sparks for deleting emails, create a recipient policy (i'm assuming e2k3 here) and specify mailbox policy, the wizard will lead you from there. As far as not allowing pst files i think there is a way to do it with the office resource kit but i&#...

Exchange Migration Issue
Hello All, I have multiple copies of email in my user email accounts after migration. I used Exchange Migration Tool to Migrate email accounts from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. Since we did not switch over to the new server right away , there were 2 days of emails still pending to be imported so I used the Migration tool again to migrate emails filtered based on date, but it seems that exchange migration has migrated all emails again, and now users have 2 to 3 copies of each email. Is there a way to remove the duplicate copies ? if so how can I go about doing that? Any pointer...

Automatically setting User account and exchange server
Hi All, How would I go about setting up possibly a login script that can automatically set up users account name and exchange server. I haven't really come accross what I'm after yet and was hopeing someone here would have an answer. Basically when a new user or a user with an outbox already; logs onto a different (or there first) machine that when they open outlook 2003 they have the settings for the server hosting exchange and thier user name automatically entered so that they don't need to contact us to have it sorted out. Thanks! Microsoft uses text files with a .prf exten...

Archiving Exchange 1007
We are considering moving from GroupWise to Exchange 2007. I have been unable to find out what are the archiving options for emails. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Adrian It should of course have read 'Archiving Exchange 2007'! "Adrian" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Ol4984yWHHA.1120@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > We are considering moving from GroupWise to Exchange 2007. > > I have been unable to find out what are the archiving options for emails. > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. > > Adrian > As with pre...

The best photographer
He is the best famous photographer.. http://club.cyworld.com/dcnomad ...

New Exchange Installation
Hai friends, Iam Asaithambi, i have a plan to implement and install Exchange server 2003 in my office, but i had only " SMTP , POP3 ADDRESS AND registered domain, and have 10 user id's for that doamin. But important i have " no public ip address" if it is possible i have install and connect my domain, and send and receive my email's for that user id's Please help me to solve . You can receive SMTP mail without public IP, but you need some cooperation from you ISP (or whoever provides connectivity for you). Tell them that you are ...

Best text books / manuals for MS Office (intermediate-Advanced use
What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction manuals you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE? I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a decent document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge of Access......Only used PowerPoint once....... I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I have some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see now). I have created several Excel projects with Macros bu...

Exchange
Hi, I would like to send e-mail with a lot of users, maybe more than 10.000 (partner list). Is there any users limit recepient in Exchange 2003 or any default number of users in BCC field? Thnx. Yes, there are limits. Look around on the properties of your Default SMTP Virtual Server and you should be able to figure out what your limits are set at. You also may want to take a look under your Global Settings, Message Delivery properties. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Dan" ...

Maintain ACL while migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2003 Interforest?
Hello, I am close to a migration from an Exchange 2003 Administrative organization to another Exchange 2003 organization in another Domain, also known as a Interforest move of mailboxes. I will use the "Exchange migration wizard" to move the mailboxes, but ofcourse only after the use of ADMT to merge Groups/Users from the old domain. Is there any way to preserve the ACL's set on the mailboxes in the old exchange 2003 server, while moving to the new domain and exchangeserver? The documentation of the migration wizard states it will not move ACL, but are there workarounds ...

Outlook 2003 cached exchange mode folder size issue
Using Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003, connection via HTTP and using cached exchange mode for synching everything up. I noticed when looking at folder sizes that there are two tabs - local data and server data. The sizes for the same folders do not match, in fact the local data is about twice the size of the server data for the account with various discrepencies for each folder. When viewing the account in OWA, it is exactly the same as the account viewed in Outlook. Is this an issue with the local copy having free, unused space in the data file? Can this local file be "cleaned" to r...

Exchange 2003 Admin -> Windows 2000 Workstation?
Hey, is it possible to install the EX2003 Admin tool to a Win2k WS? I tried to install but the EX Admin tool setup frequently asked for missing compontens. After several tries and it didnt work finally. Is there any docu? Thanks Lars Lars: I don't know if that can be done. What I usually do is use RDC/TSC to get to the Exchange server and use the admin tools from there. In a large network, I find that to be much faster than using ESM and ADUC locally. Regards, Martin "Lars Droste" <lars.droste@nospam.extendedsystems.de> wrote in message news:OpuYD0LZEHA.4032@TK...

Best way to forecast individual sales territories?
I have a spreadsheet with twelve months of sales data per territory (100 territories.) I need to forecast the next three months. The product being sold is just moving from launch phase to high growth phase, so it's still growing pretty quickly. What is the best method to forecast each individual territories' sales over the next three months? ...

c103b402 ID in Exchange System Manager
I keep getting this message when I want to get into Public Folders in ESM. Even if I have fixed, first IP or all unassigned in IIS. Did somebody have experience with this? Regards, Vladimir ...

Turning On SSL for Exchange
I have a FE/BE Exchange 2003 setup. I want to Turning On SSL for Exchange. I read KB320291, is it that simple or are there any items other then what is mentioned I should look at? thanks in advance Rick "Rick" <drummer10980@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158930618.043444.24980@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I have a FE/BE Exchange 2003 setup. I want to Turning On SSL for > Exchange. I read KB320291, is it that simple or are there any items > other then what is mentioned I should look at? > > thanks in advance > Rick The article describes the process ...

what is the best way to resize test that "best fits" the text box
I just want to know how to resize text to fit the text box. Select the text and reduce the font size until it suits your requirements. There is no automatic function for this. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "utahjohn" <utahjohn@discussions.microsof...

What do you miss out on if you don't use Exchange?
When you use CRM3 without Exchange what do you miss out on? Antony Antony See the white paper at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2417E918-2E30-41DB-A3B2-2F800BF76FFE&displaylang=en Tells you all you should need to know Cozy "Antony" <info AT webpc DOT biz> wrote in message news:uxjZpqkWGHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > When you use CRM3 without Exchange what do you miss out on? > > Antony ...

Exchange 2010 edge server and 2007 HT server
Hi, Does anyone know whether an Exchange 2010 edge server can work with a 2007 HT server with regards an edge subscription? There will probably not be any 2010 HT servers in the org for a while. We are looking into moving to a TMG ISA server with the 2010 HT server installed on it. Thanks. Andrew. Good question. This article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd346708.aspx#ESD seems to say that you can use an Exchange 2007 Hub Transport server in edge synchronization with an Exchange 2010 Edge server but you won't get all of the new Edge 2010 features. -- ...

OWA/OMA Protection
<No response from other forum> Hello, I have a Exchange 2003/OWA frontend that is protected with RSA two factor authentication inside a Checkpoint Firewall. The RSA part works fine and everything is good. Now I buy a Motorola Droid and need to set up the Exchange Sync and the RSA poses a problem. If I remove the RSA protection the Droid connects to the OWA and syncs well. Calls to RSA says it will not work with a Droid so I'd have to get rid of the RSA authentication. The question is: it looks like if I want to use a Android 2.0 based Droid phone to sync with outlook...

Exchange Public folder Limits Problem
i have a public folder that has limits set on it...I ncreased those limits, but i'm still getting an error...How can i set the limits for email size and force the updates.. Is there anyway i can tell the public folder has the changes applied? thanks, michael ...

GL figures
what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures so users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr. do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file. -- Linda W. Linda, You mean when you are starting up a new company? If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only. For example, let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends in December and y...

Exchange 5.5 and blocking incoming emails
Hello, And thanks in advance for any help you can give. I have several domains I do not wish to receive emails from the Interent via SMTP. Is there a way to specifically restrict email coming in from these domains? I searched thru the help files and search on Microsoft with no luck. On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:38:07 -0700, "TooTired" <TooTired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, >And thanks in advance for any help you can give. I have several domains I >do not wish to receive emails from the Interent via SMTP. Is there a way to >specifically restrict ema...

best tutorials for graphs ( line of best fit) for excel
What are the best tutorials for using excel for stastical analysis graphs and other graphs such as Line of best fit? Niccole: Here's a link to my chart gallery of Excel statistical charts. http://processtrends.com/TOC_chart_gallery.htm Here's a link to my page on trend analysis with Excel. This page shows several regression techniques that you can use with Excel. http://processtrends.com/toc_trend_analysis_with_Excel.htm Post back if you have more specific questions. Kelly O'Day koday at processtrends dot com "Niccole D" <Niccole D@discussions.microsoft....