Basic question on MX record setting - Help please

Imagine on my internal network, I have two Symantec SMTP appliances named
"symantec01" and "symantec02", with IP addresses 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2
respectively (internal netwokr).

Then I need to create MX records on my external DNS servers to allow SMTP
traffic to reach those appliances.

On my external DNS servers, I understand I need to create Host records and
MX records.

Let's say I create a host record named "mymail01.mycompany.com",
IP=172.10.0.1" (please note I am pointing to a routable external IP address,
not my internal IP address).
and "mymail02.mycompany.com", IP=172.10.0.2", priority 20.

Then I highlight my respective Forward Lookup Zone, I do "New Mail
Exchanger" record.
I am unsure on this:

I see that I have the option to input the "name of host or domain." Should I
inform the same name I used on the host records (in this case,
mymail01.mycompany.com and mymail02.mycompany.com")?
The I can 'browse' and pick the respective 'mymail01.mycompany.com' and
'mymail02.mycompany.com' records and assign priorities accordingly.

Please confirm whether that is right?

"Marlon Brown" <MarlonBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Imagine on my internal network, I have two Symantec SMTP appliances named
>"symantec01" and "symantec02", with IP addresses 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2
>respectively (internal netwokr).
>
>Then I need to create MX records on my external DNS servers to allow SMTP
>traffic to reach those appliances.
>
>On my external DNS servers, I understand I need to create Host records and
>MX records.
>
>Let's say I create a host record named "mymail01.mycompany.com",
>IP=172.10.0.1" (please note I am pointing to a routable external IP address,
>not my internal IP address).
>and "mymail02.mycompany.com", IP=172.10.0.2", priority 20.
>
>Then I highlight my respective Forward Lookup Zone, I do "New Mail
>Exchanger" record.
>I am unsure on this:
>
>I see that I have the option to input the "name of host or domain." Should I
>inform the same name I used on the host records (in this case,
>mymail01.mycompany.com and mymail02.mycompany.com")?
>The I can 'browse' and pick the respective 'mymail01.mycompany.com' and
>'mymail02.mycompany.com' records and assign priorities accordingly.
>
>Please confirm whether that is right?

"Host of child domain" is the name of the domain that's to receive
email. If it's the name that shows up in the "Fully qualified domain
name (FQDN)" box, then just leave it blank.

The "Fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of mail server" is the name of
the A record.

The DNS zone file would look something like this:
	mycompany.com.        IN MX 10  mymail01.mycompany.com.
	mycompany.com.        IN MX 20  mymail02.mycompany.com.

	mymail01.mycompany.com. IN A 172.10.0.1
	mymail02.mycompany.com. IN A 172.10.0.2

or this:

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Excel 2003 question
I have one user that currently has Excel 2003 and the rest of the organization has either Office XP or Office 2000. There is an Excel document that is use organization wide that was created in Office XP Excel. It utilizes Utilizes validation fields. These fields are lists that contains names, another contains status (Closed, Open, Waiting, etc...) and another contains misc info. When anyone uses this Excel document that has Office XP or Office 2000, everything works perfectly fine. When the individual with Excel 2003 uses this spreadsheet, upon opening, he receives an error imm...

outlook how to question
how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? tia why not send them to yourself <sstovall3@aol.com> wrote in message news:n8imp1pvp9kf9v3k7lsnh9ci4hns0p99io@4ax.com... > how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? > > tia sstovall3@aol.com, you wrote on Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:32:27 -0600: > how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? In Outlook Express go to File | Export | Messages -- Best Regards Christian Goeller the files are on a cd, access to outlook express has now been lost. On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:03:50 +0100, Christian ...

How do I set up a text file import template in Excel 2003?
I have tried creating a template spreadsheet but when I bring in new data the formats and data types are not maintained for the imported data. The imported text file is close to 400 columns (separated into about 50 fields) and various rows. Have you tried copy|paste special|Values to bring the new data over? Excel User wrote: > > I have tried creating a template spreadsheet but when I bring in new data the > formats and data types are not maintained for the imported data. The > imported text file is close to 400 columns (separated into about 50 fields) > and various r...

setting up multiple profiles
I just installed Outlook 2007. My husband has one comcast account and I have two. We need to be able to use Outlook for these. I have tried to set up my two emails using POP3, but they both come into the same inbox. Please help!!! Thanks, http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/sortmail.htm For 2007 specific, scroll to bottom "07Jackie66" <07Jackie66@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B3FA5C6-23DD-4314-BB9D-F46CE3E22D1C@microsoft.com... >I just installed Outlook 2007. My husband has one comcast account and I >have > two. We need to be able to...

OE question
I wish to disable the feature that automatically blocks my attempts to listen or view WMV files and or files that need to be "assembled". Thank you for your time and help. T Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of = them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news = groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/=20 --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to kee...

please tell me if pstscan.exe fails
hi, i tried pstscan.exe to repair one pst but it got failed. please suggest me what is the other method to recover pst There is no such beast as pstscan.exe. Did you mean scanpst.exe? What = error message did you receive on failure? How big is your .pst and in = what version of Outlook? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, amit.bhatnagar83@gmail.com asked: | hi, | i tried pstscan.exe to repair one pst but it g...

Rank Question
I need to figure out how to rank by manager ex: Processor Manager Score Rank Albert Scott 80.9 2 Brian Scott 91.5 1 Cathy Scott 79.3 3 Mable Delores 99.9 1 Elaine Delores 95.6 2 Tony Delores 73.5 3 I have 100 or so managers so I want a formula to calculate it automatically without any manual intervention. Thanks In EXCEL 2007, assuming your data is in range A 1 to D 7 inclusive. 1. Gives cells C 2 to C 7 inclusive a Range Name of, for ...

ADFS basics
Hey all, I'm using (trying) to use ADFS to logon to my SAML 2.0 parter. In essence I would like to use AD as my source of truth. Unfortunately, I'm having some issues with my logoff and trying to troubleshoot. One super basic question, the directory /adfs/ls which is used as my logoff URL (and logon URL) has a default document setup as default.aspx which does not exist. Question 1: How does pointing to the adfs/ls directory alert ADFS to which action I'd like to perform? It obviously works but I'm not sure how ADFS know whether to pop a logon screen or go...

a CPropertySheet on CDialogBar question #2
hi,i develop a application based on MainFrame, i want to place a CDialogBar on the right of my windows and place a CPropertySheet on this DialogBar. i create a class,CMyDialogBar which derived from CDialogBar, and its Create function as below: BOOL CMyDialogBar::Create(CWnd* pParentWnd, UINT nIDTemplate, UINT nStyle, UINT nID) { // TODO: Add your specialized code here and/or call the base class CDialogBar::Create(pParentWnd, nIDTemplate, nStyle, nID); m_pDlg1 = new CDialogPage1;//m_pDlg1 is member variable of this class m_pDlg2 = new CDialogPage2;//m_pDlg2 is member variable of this cla...

Visual Basic Macros, relative position
Dear Experts, I am making a report, and I have a set of data, in a very looong row: MKT_VAL NET_ASSETS TOT_ASSETS 46 51 51 6233 6228 6228 Over 100 fields. I need this data to be changed to run down a column. MKT_VAL 46 6233 NET_ASSETS 51 6228 TOT_ASSETS 51 6228 I tried to make a macro to do this. It would be run after I copied and pasted the three column cells into another area. Sub ShiftNullData() ' ' ShiftNullData Macro ' Macro recorded 11/14/2006 by Rodger Lepinsky ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+q ' Range("A18").S...

Question about CSocket::Receive()
I have a class derived from CSocket. I have a vague recollection that I only get one shot at calling Receive() in my override of OnReceive(). What I mean by that is that if there's 2k of data to be read but I only read 1k when I call Receive() then the other 1k gets lost. Or can I call Receive() more than once within OnReceive() but after I exit OnReceive() I lose any data that didn't read? I can't remember where I've read this or something along those lines and I can't see it in the documentation. It may be that I'm completely mistaken and it's just my ...

Changing Outlook (2003) modify reply settings
I'd like modify Outlook so that when I reply (not forward, ideally) the original text is made gray and my new text is say, black. Currently the old text remains the same and my text becomes blue. I thought there were some settings that made such things easy, but all I can find are settings that change the amount of indent and the left bar. Is this stored in a template somewhere? If anyone has any pointers, I'd be grateful. -- ------------ Michael Bierman You can only set the color change for your reply. Tools, options, mail format, Fonts, When replying... "Michael ...

A Question about Diffgram Updates

ListView question #3
Hi, I've searched on internet to find some tips how to detect when a ListView: - draw the headers (if it is header, and for which column) - draw the rows (which row / index) - draw items (to which column belongs the drawed item) i've read some articles about subclassing WndProc. I've checked that way but it's huge amount of time spent and result is really poor :-( i would like to know if there is not another way...a little bit easier Topics behind that are : - allow different types of items (not only text, but also progress bars, spinboxes,..) - Customize the header (imag...

Use outlook to set meeting agenda
We have a fixed weekly executive review meeting - rather than arrange for an agenda each week I want people to be able to reserve a section of the meeting, for themselves. I think that I want a "public" calendar, containing only this 2hr meeting but shown as a series of adjacent pre- defined 20min "slots" that people can "book" using outlook. How do you create this so that it is not "mine"? Ideally, when they pick one of the times, they would enter some detail of the project to be reviewed and these details would be distributed to the attendees b...

Question No 1 for Testing Purpose
Question No 1 for Testing Purpose Ignore this "Test" <Test@Test.com> wrote in message news:165D35B4-07E0-4BFC-AB83-05CA2AF68DE1@microsoft.com... > Question No 1 for Testing Purpose > ...

I am being told to "Please run setup in maintenance mode" ???
I don't understand how to get to 'maintenance mode'. Please help cjaaron "cjaaron" <cjaaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24D98FA5-085B-4394-8310-07A78AF9A27B@microsoft.com... > I don't understand how to get to 'maintenance mode'. Please help > > cjaaron Is this when you are using Microsoft Access (the database program)? If so what are you doing when you get the message and what version of Access are you using and what operating system? If not then Microsoft's Help system has landed you in the wrong n...

How to restart tab index on subform after moving to next record?
I have added three subforms to a main form and set tab indexes for several fields on each subform. The first time tab through the forms, the cursor tabs correctly through the mainform and subform fields. When I create anew recordonthe mainform, the subforms show blank entriews as they should, but when I tab to them, the cursor goes to the last indexed field on each subform rather than the first as it shoiuld have (and did) on the previous tab run. Why is this and how can I fix it? Hello "cybersafe". "cybersafe" wrote: > I have added three subforms to a main f...

Sending emails using AOL settings
Hi Any advice on the folowing would be appreciated: Am using AOL broadband as my ISP. I am able to configure Outlook Express to send & receive emails OK When using the same Outlook Express settings in Outlook 2002 am unable to send emails - an error refering to incorrect email address appears. HAve double & doubled checked and all email address's are identical as per those used in Outlook express. Using XP Pro with service pack 2 TIA Tom There are special settings for Outlook with AOL that are available at AOL support. http://help.aol.com/aimhelp/search.do?cmd=displ...

Basic Visual Basic
I want to learn VB for Excel, but I need to know a good free site for help and to read up on it. Can anyone help me? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi as a starting point: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I want to learn VB for Excel, but I need to know a good free site for > help and to read up on it. Can anyone help me? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

CWnd creation question and CFrameWnd question
So you create a child window use CWnd::Create(). I can create a main window (windows window?) by using CFrameWnd::Create(). I'm trying to figure out how to create my own CFrameWnd from Cwnd and how they are related. Since CFrameWnd is a subclass of CWnd, shouldn't I be able to create a main window using CWnd::Create? It keeps asserting an error that I can't seem to trap (it just ends to app if I select Debug and if I step into it manually, I can hold down F11 for about a minute and it just keeps going through assembly code and such). I'm thinking because I send it NULL for...

Exmerge append question
Hi there, I'm currently looking into ways to doing efficient offsite storage using Brick Level Backups of the Exchange database. As the size of the resulting .PST files is obviously an issue (in terms of the time taken to copy them over a VPN connection), I had originally set it up so that it would append to the existing .pst files. This all seemed to be working fine. However, I had a user have a clearout of a load of old emails, and it was then that I noticed that the .pst file hadn't reduced in size - although it appends any new mails to the .PST file, it doesn't appear to dele...

View settings in word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Somehow my view settings got messed up. When I pull up a new document, none of the toolbars are there. When I look at the &quot;toolbar settings&quot; under &quot;view&quot;, the toolbars I would like to see are checked, but they are not present. I have to uncheck then re-check them. I even have to go through the process twice with the &quot;standard&quot; toolbar. Is there anyway to re-set default view settings? <br><br>Thanks! Click the little capsule at the right end of the document title ...

Newbie question
Hello, I am a newbie to xml and xpath. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I need to parse an xml file (generated by a Sharepoint list file) in the format below. For example, I need to select all the nodes where the ows_Parent = '6;#miCommunities'. (Is there a LIKE operator in xpath (e.g, ows_Parent LIKE '%miCommunities'))? I'm not able to do even the simplest query on this xml file. I keep getting the error message: "Namespace, Manager or xsltContext needed. This query has a prefix, variable or user defined function." Any help y...

Sorry
Hi guys, apologies for such a basic question. In my defence I'm not really a c++ programmer, and when I have dabbled, I've used MFC. I've got a call to an external DLL I'm using LoadLibrary to get. I've declared the call as : lpFUNCTION MyFunc(CString p1, CString p2, short* retVal, CString* retText) if I call it : short retVal; CString retText; iRet = MyFunc ("123456", "12345678", &retVal, &retText); - it works fine. Unfortunately this DLL is being called from a non-MFC app. So I;ve tried : lpFUNCTION MyFunc(char[] p1, char p2, short* ...