backup to a file?

hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape
drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a
different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng.
So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily)

I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this
possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if
needed)

thanks!!!
0
rtn (7)

Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you
can copy whereever.

--
Thanks,
Brian Desmond

www.briandesmond.com

"rtn" <rtn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a
> tape
> drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in
> different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not
> workng.
> So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily)
>
> I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this
> possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if
> needed)
>
> thanks!!!

0
desmondb (156)
6/23/2005 4:53:31 AM
NTBACKUP will happily back up to a file in a directory. I prefer that
method, anyway. Then our regular nightly backup program puts it on a tape...
Now, you not only have it on tape, but you have an on-line copy that could
get you back faster...

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"rtn" <rtn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a
> tape
> drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in
> different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not
> workng.
> So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily)
>
> I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this
> possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if
> needed)
>
> thanks!!!

0
rasilon1 (689)

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

Transferring a file
Hi, I want to transfer a file generated from great plains to a FTP server ,i don't know how to acess a FTP through dexterity . please advice Thanks in advance Interesting scenario... I think I'd look at finding a COM object/library or ..Net assembly that could do the communicating, and use that. Haven't needed something like that, but I'm sure they're out there. If not, I guess you could roll your own, if you know another programming language as well. There's on-line help and manuals on talking to external libraries. The fun will be getting that extern...

stm file size is problem..
I have a problem with priv1.stm file's size. It grows continuesly, and exchange server disk space 11 GB. priv1.stm's size is 9.6 GB. How can i reduce this file size ? Please, help me. Hi Jan, "jan" <jan@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:96EBE861-3FFC-46EA-AD26-2D23A5542441@microsoft.com... >I have a problem with priv1.stm file's size. It grows continuesly, and > exchange server disk space 11 GB. priv1.stm's size is 9.6 GB. How can i > reduce this file size ? Please, help me. You can use eseutil to make an offline defrag. Howev...

Executing specific files at a certain time of the day.
Do you know of any software that can be programmed to launch certain files at certain times of the day? For example: At 9:00am it will execute 900am.exe and at 9:30am it will execute 930am.exe and so on. I am looking for any software or custom program that can launch any file I choose at the time that I choose. Thank you in advance for any help you can give, Mike You can use scheduled tasks, which is provided by windows, on the control panel. "Mike Smith" <mike@wn2000.com> wrote in message news:4c5e01c34176$935455f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Do you know of any softwa...

VBA: Open Most Current File In Specified Folder
I'm setting up a module that will grab a specific .xls and organize it for production as well as load the information into Crystal for archiving. In the past, I have always directed the user to save the .xls as "AnyFileName" in a specific folder and the module would pick it up at a scheduled time. This has me relying on the user to not make any mistakes in naming the file. Is there a produre in VBA that will open the most current file in a specified folder? The macro below should work OK. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP Sub FindNewestFile() With Application.FileSearch '// ...

Does Outlook's Auto Archive Always APPEND TO or OVERWRITE a Previous Backup?
I ask because in another thread it was stated that auto-archive always appends, but lots of advice on multiple sites caution the user that it always over-writes. If it always appends, then I can use it. If it always overwrites, I can't. I think this is a very important distinction for the user and thus we should know one way or the other which is true append or over-write. Thanks. Yes, it always appends, because it is adding individual items to the = folders in the archive .pst file, not overwriting that file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programmi...

Populate a .eml file
Is it possible to use mail merge in a .eml file using outlook? By this I mean, could I have outlook 1.Automatically email, say, ten different addresses, unattended by me and 2. Populate fields within the body of the email, based on a database or excel spreadsheet? Thanks, Ike It sounds like you are talking about a mail merge, and no, you cannot run one unattended. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and f...

pst file backup program(pfbackup.exe) installation problem.
Trying to instal the above, but getting errors. 1. "Setup has detected that you already have a version of pfbackup installed on this machine. ....must uninstall.... Answer YES to next qurstion. Click OK. 2. Are you sure you want to uninstall? YES 3. This action is only valid for products that are installed. YES 4. Please uninstall previous versions of PFbackup using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. OK No matter how hard I look, it isn't there. Also tried looking under different (administrator) logon accounts. Any ideas? Is there a .dll file somewhere? Sugge...

Group Policy Backup
Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? Howdie! Am 01.07.2010 15:50, schrieb Venkat: > Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core > machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? GPMC delivers Scripts you can use to back them up. You can also download them seperately: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c1a89b-a6d2-4f2a-a944-9236999aee65&displaylang=en There should be plenty of scripting that...

backup to a file?
hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng. So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily) I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if needed) thanks!!! Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you can copy whereever. -- Thanks, Bria...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

App_hang on splitting E-file transaction
OS: Vista 64bit I keep getting an app_hang when I try to split a downloaded transaction into 2 other split transactions. Specifically, the 2 splits are loan payments (hence split into interest + principal) written on a single check. Whenever I go to change the downloaded cleared check to reference the 2 seperate loan payments, the application hangs. When I re-start money the transaction keeps getting downloaded again and then hangs the app again when I try to split. You should fix that :P ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the sugges...

Duplicate copies of the same file(song)
I opened my music library and noticed hundreds if not thousands of duplicate songs. Almost as if I copied the same cd to the library 4 times. How can I erase the duplicates without doing it manually one at a time. I have no Idea why there are so many duplicates! Please help! -- Annoyed Windows Media user! What version of WMP and Windows? To reset the media library, follow the instructions, specific for your WMP and Windows version, at http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary Note that resetting the media library will make you lose all existing play counts, and possibly rat...

Maximum file size for excel documents?
Hi, Does anyone know what the maximum file size for a excell 2000 workbook is? I'm currently upto 38mb, just need to know how much further I can go. Lots of data.... Hi see: http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Parag wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know what the maximum file size for a excell 2000 > workbook is? I'm currently upto 38mb, just need to know how much > further I can go. > > Lots of data.... Thanks "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi > see: > http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm ...

File I/O in Document/View architecture
Hello. I'm trying to make a program that reads from a large file as needed, putting data into structs then displaying the struct contents. When I look at examples of File I/O, I have a problem. Where should the I/O go? To me, it makes sense to have the document handle anything relating to file input, including a call to a CFileDialog class. This works fine for me, but is it good practice to do that in the document rather than the view? I would not put File I/O(which changes the document) in a view. What issues do you see if this is in the document? Document seems to be the correct place...

Backup
I have DataBase in SqlServer 2008.I Had taken database backup in full mode Around 10 days before. After that i ddi not take any other type of back.At the time of backup one table has around 1000 records.Now Accidentally Row has been deleted Now It has No Data.Before deletion now it has Around 3000 Records Is Their is Any Way to recover those deleted Rows From Full back Up Has the database been in full recovery model all the time since the full backup was taken? -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi ...

opening files error
For some reason, none of my Excel 2003 files will open when I double-click them from a folder or desktop shortcut - the only way I can open a file is to start Excel, click open and browse for the file I want. As a side note, I was recently attempting to get my workbooks to open in separate windows as opposed to multiple files open under the same heading - i.e. I wanted each file to have it's own toolabar, etc. After reading several discussion posts, I tried clicking Tools>Options>View>checking "Windows in Taskbar" and Tools>Options>General>checki...

NT Backup and other backup issues
I'm getting an error when I try to schedule a backup system every day at a certain time. (0x8070005) I'm using an Admin account. ??? Is there any software that can backup files without changing them into a backup format? If I have 1000 files in 100 folders I'd like to see 1000 files in 100 folders in the backup location. Does any backup software do this? And it would have to be done incrementally so you're not backing up the same thing over and over for nothing. "FrankEdwards" <no@frank.here> wrote in message news:op.vbmurnheq6rutr@-...

Can't restore .pst files in Outlook 2007/Windows XP
Help! My hard drive crashed last week and I have had another installed. I had backed up all my data on my clickfree automatic backup and have managed to restore my pictures and documents, but am having problems doing so with my e-mails and address book. I have the .pst files on my PC but can't access them because I get an error message when I try to open them saying "You are attempting to open a file of type Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders (.pst) These fles are used by the operating system and by various programmes. Editing or modifying them could damage y...

Publisher 2007
We just upgraded to Office 2007. In my old version of Publisher (2003), the print settings I had assigned to each file were retained in that file--very handy in Publisher as some of the print settings can get complex at times. I print to a variety of different printers and have different settings for print jobs going to each. It appears as if this feature is no longer present. Is this true or is there some way to retain them? Setting manually can get time-consuming. Any suggestions? -- -Sharon. I'm replying to my own post here, but I found the solution! In Publisher 2007, rather t...

BACKUPS #2
When I back up my Money 2006 (internally or to a CD) does that backup info include the Portfolio Manager data as well or does the Portfolio Manager info require a seperate backup? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, hogbreath wrote: >When I back up my Money 2006 (internally or to a CD) does that backup info >include the Portfolio Manager data as well or does the Portfolio Manager info >require a seperate backup? Thanks. It's included. ========= 2006 suggested backup procedure Money 2006 introduces a useful multiple backup file feature. In M06: Tools->Settings->Bac...

Exchange Front End Backup Frequency
Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End Exchange 2003 Standard 2003 AD native/native Front end has empty store mounted for SMTP forwarding. What frequncy would you recommend backing up the front end server since it holds no real changing data? Can I get away with once every week? (hopefully) Backend has sufficient backups every day in place. Thanks for your help, Harry On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:34:14 -0400, "Harry Bates" <harry@NOSPAMrocksystems.net> wrote: >Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End >Exchange 2003 Standard >2003 AD native/native &...

how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file
how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file Press CTRL+Print Screen. Open a photo editing program and paste screencap into it. Then crop down to the area you want to show as a picture. "lylegalveston" wrote: > how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file Take a screen print of the active application (alt + print screen) then edit it in a photo editor or get a program like Snagit (screen capture program), I use the latter myself and it's great Regards, Peo Sjoblom "lylegalveston" <lylegalveston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

How to do with xml file -> schema file (fuction i .NET)
I use a BulkLoad to import file.xml to my base MS Server 2000. To import this xml file I need schema file. Mayby you know how to do this file mechanicy f.g. mayby somebody have some script in .net who generate this schema. for any help Thanks ======== My xml file ================================= <ROOT> <Customers> <CustomerId>5555</CustomerId> <CompanyName>Jagoda1</CompanyName> <City>NY</City> </Customers> <Customers> <CustomerId>0200</CustomerId> <Comp...

Backup file #2
How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? Thanks, Tom Try Tools - Options - Save. This will automatically save a copy of your file every x minutes to the directory of your choice. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "tkanasoot@yahoo.com" wrote: > How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to > specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? > > Thanks, > Tom Do I need to set up my file to always create backup? Does this...