backup of exchange 2003

hi,

i have a question about exchange 2003 which is a member server in an AD
domain, and not a domain controller.

this is for a small size company, where in the event of the mail server
failure there will be time to build a new server from scratch and restore
databases. My question is, when building a new exchange server, should I
restore the system state data after installing the OS and patches?

Starting the exchange 2003 installation in disaster recovery mode will
automatically get the exchange specific settings from AD. This suggests I can
rebuild a new exchange server and restore the exchange databases, without
restoring the windows system state data at all.

Also, if I should restore the system state, is there a specific order as to
when I should restore it. I mean, after the bare OS installation?, or after
the OS and service pack/hotfixes installation?

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.
0
rsys (11)

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 06:53:28 -0800, rsys
<rsys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>hi,
>
>i have a question about exchange 2003 which is a member server in an AD
>domain, and not a domain controller.
>
>this is for a small size company, where in the event of the mail server
>failure there will be time to build a new server from scratch and restore
>databases. My question is, when building a new exchange server, should I
>restore the system state data after installing the OS and patches?

If Active Directory is intact, all you need to do is rebuild the
server using the same name as the original and then run setup with the
disasterrecovery switch.

>Starting the exchange 2003 installation in disaster recovery mode will
>automatically get the exchange specific settings from AD. This suggests I can
>rebuild a new exchange server and restore the exchange databases, without
>restoring the windows system state data at all.

Yep.

>Also, if I should restore the system state, is there a specific order as to
>when I should restore it. I mean, after the bare OS installation?, or after
>the OS and service pack/hotfixes installation?

See above :)

>Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.
0
adavid (8731)
3/10/2007 4:32:24 PM
On top of what Andy put (very well).

When adding the new machine, reset the machine account in AD.

Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
3/10/2007 6:25:35 PM
Thanks for your replies.

one question.

Since I don't need to restore the system state of the exchange server, do I
still have to match the hardware of the failed server, match the drive
letters and installation locations of the failed server? Or is it enough that
I match the drive location of the exchange installation?

I thought the hardware matching etc is important only when you do a system
restore.

Thanks a lot.

"Oliver Moazzezi" wrote:

> On top of what Andy put (very well).
>
> When adding the new machine, reset the machine account in AD.
>
> Oliver

0
rsys (11)
3/11/2007 1:27:00 AM
You don't have to match the hardware no.

Match the drive letters though, as the db locations, mailroot locations etc
are stored in AD.

These must match, otherwise you have to hack around alot via ADSIEdit.

 Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)

Exchange migration questions
Hi all, There are three questions about exchange migration from 5.5 to 2003. The exchange 5.5 are migrated to exchange 2003, by ADMT and connect DC with ADC. All user mailboxs have been moved to exchange 2003. question1: on the dc, the exchange tabs cannot been shown on the user properties when open the AD user and computer from the Domain controller, but it shows when open from the exchange 2003 server. What configuration I need to configure in order show these tabs on domain controllers. question2: I am trying to migrate the public folder, by following the guideline from pfmigrate.ws...

New Exchange Server #5
I have deployed 2 new exchange servers in my Enterprise. both are Exchange 2k3 SP2 installed on Windows 2k3 RC2. One is a BE (Server B) and the other is a FE (Server C) hosting OWA and RPC over HTTP, working as advertised. These servers are in Administrative Group A which also host an Exchange 2k3 SP2 installed on Windows 2k, well call it server A. Server A is the only Internet Gateway for our Enterprise the Routing Group Master and connector for B, C and D routing (Administrative) groups. I need to decommission Server A and move its duties to Servers B and C. Any recommendations will ...

Error compiling MFC code with 2003 toolkit
Couldn't find this question answered elsewhere, so here it comes: Installed .NET (2002) and then the 2003 C++ command line toolkit so that I'm compiling with the latest. Used the App wizard to start a new (dialog-based) MFC app. Hit compile and I get this error (followed by pages of others): c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio ..NET\Vc7\atlmfc\include\atlsimpstr.h(195) : warning C4346: 'ATL::ChTraitsBase<BaseType>::XCHAR' : dependent name is not a type prefix with 'typename' to indicate a type c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio ...

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

Outlook 2003: 2 Users share 1 inbox, 1 POP/SMTP acct w/o Exchange Server?
My wife and I need to share a common Inbox in OL 2003. ( One logon at a time) We have seperate "contact Lists / Address Books" however we can share common In-Box sub-folders for saved email. We're not a business and I don't see a need for an "exchange server." How can this be done in Outlook 2003? It came with our new system. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &am...

Does Outlook's Auto Archive Always APPEND TO or OVERWRITE a Previous Backup?
I ask because in another thread it was stated that auto-archive always appends, but lots of advice on multiple sites caution the user that it always over-writes. If it always appends, then I can use it. If it always overwrites, I can't. I think this is a very important distinction for the user and thus we should know one way or the other which is true append or over-write. Thanks. Yes, it always appends, because it is adding individual items to the = folders in the archive .pst file, not overwriting that file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programmi...

Meeting Request
Hi - when I send a meeting request (I'm not part of exchange) to a person who has Outlook Express they receive an email with the Subject in the email subject line, but the date/time is hidden in a page full of gobbledygook - When I used to receive request in OE, I just received some plain text showing the date and time and timezone. Am I doing something wrong? Anyway of tidying this up? TIA!! Why do you bother sending the meeting request to OE users? They cannot use the file to add to their calendars. Just send a polite note with the information. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] P...

exchange and double take
I saw a demo of double take today. I love what it can do for the exchange server, and how it can replicate and turn up a standby box. However, what I need is their light version, so that I can just replicate the data stores and not much else. Is there a white paper for exchange 2003 that shows how to recover it from real time copies of the data stores (private and public). Here is the scenario. We have an exchange server in our downtown office that we backup using backup exec. This has worked well and tested. However, we would like to use double take to make a real time backup of all th...

pst file backup program(pfbackup.exe) installation problem.
Trying to instal the above, but getting errors. 1. "Setup has detected that you already have a version of pfbackup installed on this machine. ....must uninstall.... Answer YES to next qurstion. Click OK. 2. Are you sure you want to uninstall? YES 3. This action is only valid for products that are installed. YES 4. Please uninstall previous versions of PFbackup using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. OK No matter how hard I look, it isn't there. Also tried looking under different (administrator) logon accounts. Any ideas? Is there a .dll file somewhere? Sugge...

Group Policy Backup
Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? Howdie! Am 01.07.2010 15:50, schrieb Venkat: > Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core > machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? GPMC delivers Scripts you can use to back them up. You can also download them seperately: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c1a89b-a6d2-4f2a-a944-9236999aee65&displaylang=en There should be plenty of scripting that...

backup to a file?
hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng. So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily) I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if needed) thanks!!! Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you can copy whereever. -- Thanks, Bria...

Testing Exchange using IP
Hi I am testing my E2K3 before pointing the existing domain to the new IP address. When I send an Email from outside to this E2K3 IP address, the mail gets bounced back. The NDR message is: Final-Recipient: rfc822;selva@204.87.122.205 Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 I am able to send mail from E2K3 to external address but cannot receive. I tested sending by Telnet as mentioned in KB 153119 article to this IP address and was able to receive. Also I am able to send to users within E2K3 box. Any suggestion is appreciated. TIA Selva Hi Selva, If you can drop off a message via telnet to the...

Visio 2003 UML
Hi, I want to use Visio 2003 for planing .net software developement. Could you please tell me an online ressource where I can find information for beginners (tips, how-tos, ...)? I generate two classes: class1 (attribute1, attribute2), class2 (attribute3). class 2 derives from class1. If I use a generaliziation (or whatever the english word is, sorry) to connect the classes I cannot see the derived attributes (attribute1, attribute2) in class2? How can I achieve that? Thanks for your answer! -- Regards, InspektorDerrick Post your query to the following newsgroup: microsoft.public.vis...

Exchange Sp1 on SBS 2003
Does SBS require special windows updates and Exchange patches? More to the point I am encountering a problem which several postings say is resolved by installing SP1 for Exchange. Is there a separate Exchange SP1 for SBS 2003? If you do not get an answer here try asking in SBS newsgroup. Tom Wall wrote: > Does SBS require special windows updates and Exchange patches? More to the > point I am encountering a problem which several postings say is resolved by > installing SP1 for Exchange. Is there a separate Exchange SP1 for SBS 2003? Tom Wall wrote: > Does SBS require spec...

Reading Exchange 2003 SMTP Logs / Expected emails don't always arrive
Hi, We have been experiencing an issue now for a week or so and feel as though I have exhausted every avenue in trying to find out why we are having this issue. Essentially some emails (with attachment) aren't always received by our users. The senders of the emails are, to the best of my knowledge, always the same users. From what I can make out the senders IT infrastructure has multiple Exchange servers (maila.domain.net, mailb.domain.net, mailc.domain.net etc). I have checked that no emails are getting blocked by the RBL we use and have included the senders domain in a white list. I ha...

Outlook 2003
Our business has about 175 users all using Outlook 2003 and we currently are using IMail as our mail server. I have just installed Exchange 2010 and would like to miagrate all of my users over to the new server. Currently the only way to add the Exchange account to my end user's Outlook is to have the close out of Outlook and for me to manually setup the account using Mail from the Control Panel. Ofcourse we have to change the default settings to communicate with the Exchange 2010 server using encrypted data for it to work. We currently are not using the GPO (outlk11.ad...

thinking about exchange server
Hi I work for a small company (15-20 employees), we currently run windows xp and have an old server. What we want to do is setup shared calendars and contacts so the entire office can access them. This is in Outlook. what I need to know before i go and spend $$ on a new server is, how can this be done? Do I need Microsofts exchange server to accomplish this? Does exchange server run on its own or do i need to setup server 2003 and then put exchange server on it as well? Can this be done without a server (shared contacts and calendar) What is exchange server exactly? is it just an adva...

Exchange Server 2003 SP2
Hello all. Is it necessary to install Exchange 2003 SP1 before installing SP2? Thank you -- Osteele ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Osteele's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/184732.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1320706.htm http://forums.techarena.in Allow me to respond to my own post. I decided to not to take any chances. I installed SP1 then SP2. Everything seems to be functioning fine at the moment. -- Osteele -------------------------------------------------...

Open Relay for Exchange 5.5
Please read below for this same question I posted previuosly? The only box I have checked is "Hosts and Client that succesfully authenticate". And I rebooted the server. Now the problem is I can still relay off of the server. What else can I do to shut off relay for this mail server? You can see the spammers in the queue!! Please if anyone has any links or knowledge to shut down this relay problem please let me know?? Thanks, BiG ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ How do you shut off open relay? This is for exchange server 5.5. SP4. I found this article. htt...

Excel 2003 opens slowly
I'm having a problem with Excel 2003. For one of my users, Excel 2003 takes 60-63 seconds to open. The rest of the suite, Word, Powerpont, etc... opens almost instantly. What's the deal here? I appreciate any suggestions. I have already deleted her local roaming profile and copied the roaming profile back down to her pc with no change. If I us a different pc, the problem still exists. -- WillieD Just a thought but the *.xlb (Toolbar customisation file) doesn't get deleted if you uninstall and reinstall, though not sure if it would have gone if you deleted the profile. It ...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

Non delivery reports in Exchange 2003
Hi There I don't know if anybody could help me with this query. I have a customer who has an Exchange 2003 server which is using DNS to resolve remote hosts. The problem he is experiencing is that for a few of his customers, when he emails them he gets an Delivery Delay message and then eventually gets a notification that the mail could not be sent. When doing a NSLookup for MX records, he can see that there are a number of hosts able to accept mail for the remote domain, but the MX record with the highest priority points to a server which is not available. My customer thinks th...

Exchange Server 2003 #2
Good Morning! In the company that i work, we recently set up an Exhange server [ version 2003] over Windows Server 2003 and active directory tecnologies. Being new at the exchange environment i would like to ask some things: 1. I need to keep a cope of every outgoing message of every accountand to be saved in a mailbox e.g. outbox@mydomain.com 2. I need to keep a cope of every incoming message of every accountand to be saved in a mailbox e.g. inbox@mydomain.com 3. I want to createn a common address book in which all the users will have access 4. I want to move all the e-mails every...

Backup
I have DataBase in SqlServer 2008.I Had taken database backup in full mode Around 10 days before. After that i ddi not take any other type of back.At the time of backup one table has around 1000 records.Now Accidentally Row has been deleted Now It has No Data.Before deletion now it has Around 3000 Records Is Their is Any Way to recover those deleted Rows From Full back Up Has the database been in full recovery model all the time since the full backup was taken? -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi ...

Effect for changing Exchange 2000 mixed-mode to native mode
Hi all, We have Exchange 2000, no Exchange 5.5 at all. Our Exchange 2000 is currently in mixed-mode. We'd like to ask whether we will have any effect if switching the Exchange 2000 to native mode? All our public folders are hidden from Exchange Address Book. When we switch to Exchange 2000 native mode, will there be anything change to our Public Folder to be appearing in Exchange address book or not? Please advise! J.H On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:20:50 -0700, "J.H" <jpthsd@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >We have Exchange 2000, no Exchange 5.5 at all. Our Exchang...