Backup mail server (One domain, two mail servers)

Hey there

I setup exchange to receive mail for 2 domains. Its working fine. As a
contingency plan i want to setup a scenario in which even if my mail
server aint available i shouldnt have LOST MAIL/ BOUNCED MAIL issues.
I studied a few possibilities including clustering but that aint
applicable to our scenario. The possibility applicable is the presence
of 2 mail servers on the same domain. If my primary mail server is not
available for some reason, my second machine takes over. I know thats
possible but HOW? Can someone guide me to the implementation. At the
moment, i have one machine servicing clients for 2 domains.

Umar

Exchange afterall, is just an application.  So I dont think it is possible to
have a backup exchange server, like you would have a backup domain controller.

The only way I know of is to use clustering.

"Umar Pirzada" wrote:

> Hey there
>
> I setup exchange to receive mail for 2 domains. Its working fine. As a
> contingency plan i want to setup a scenario in which even if my mail
> server aint available i shouldnt have LOST MAIL/ BOUNCED MAIL issues.
> I studied a few possibilities including clustering but that aint
> applicable to our scenario. The possibility applicable is the presence
> of 2 mail servers on the same domain. If my primary mail server is not
> available for some reason, my second machine takes over. I know thats
> possible but HOW? Can someone guide me to the implementation. At the
> moment, i have one machine servicing clients for 2 domains.
>
> Umar

0
theo (92)
8/9/2004 5:19:04 PM
You know I just thought of a way you can do it.
Make another exchange server and name it mail2 or whatever you like.
Then replicate the information store from the first exchange server onto the
second exchange server.
So that you have 2 exchange servers now with duplicate information.
Then set your MX records to point to the secondary exchange server with a
lower priority. (etc 10)

So now if the first server goes down, email will be automatically redirected

"Umar Pirzada" wrote:

> Hey there
>
> I setup exchange to receive mail for 2 domains. Its working fine. As a
> contingency plan i want to setup a scenario in which even if my mail
> server aint available i shouldnt have LOST MAIL/ BOUNCED MAIL issues.
> I studied a few possibilities including clustering but that aint
> applicable to our scenario. The possibility applicable is the presence
> of 2 mail servers on the same domain. If my primary mail server is not
> available for some reason, my second machine takes over. I know thats
> possible but HOW? Can someone guide me to the implementation. At the
> moment, i have one machine servicing clients for 2 domains.
>
> Umar

0
theo (92)
8/9/2004 5:29:02 PM
Or use an HA (High Availability) solution. We use a vendor app called
LifeKeeper that detects the loss of our Exchange server and automatically
fails over  to another server. Requires a lot of setup and it ain't cheap,
but it works flawlessly. It involves mirroring the drive that has he
database and log files. Takes about 3-5 minutes to completely fail over.
Most users never notice that it even happened....

Also requires a standby machine with the resultant hardware and software
costs..

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Theo" <Theo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Exchange afterall, is just an application.  So I dont think it is possible
> have a backup exchange server, like you would have a backup domain
controller.

> The only way I know of is to use clustering.
>

> "Umar Pirzada" wrote:
>
> > Hey there
> >
> > I setup exchange to receive mail for 2 domains. Its working fine. As a
> > contingency plan i want to setup a scenario in which even if my mail
> > server aint available i shouldnt have LOST MAIL/ BOUNCED MAIL issues.
> > I studied a few possibilities including clustering but that aint
> > applicable to our scenario. The possibility applicable is the presence
> > of 2 mail servers on the same domain. If my primary mail server is not
> > available for some reason, my second machine takes over. I know thats
> > possible but HOW? Can someone guide me to the implementation. At the
> > moment, i have one machine servicing clients for 2 domains.
> >
> > Umar

0
rasilon1 (689)
8/10/2004 7:41:56 AM
Actually THEO thats somewhat what i had in mind also....setting up 2
mail servers on the same domain. The only issue that baffles me at the
moment is... REPLICATING THE INFORMATION STORE....how do we do that? I
m so glad u PIN POINTED on the same ISSUE and used the same exact
words...of REPLICATING THE INFORMATION STORE....u have something on ur
mind which could help me...plz tell me how to REPLICATE THE
INFORMATION STORE....

Thanx again...

Umar

"Theo" <Theo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<91FD92B4-5231-424C-8469-D3C92C2D5A8D@microsoft.com>...
> You know I just thought of a way you can do it.
> Make another exchange server and name it mail2 or whatever you like.
> Then replicate the information store from the first exchange server onto the
> second exchange server.
> So that you have 2 exchange servers now with duplicate information.
> Then set your MX records to point to the secondary exchange server with a
> lower priority. (etc 10)
>
> So now if the first server goes down, email will be automatically redirected
> to the second exchange server.
>

> "Umar Pirzada" wrote:
>
> > Hey there
> >
> > I setup exchange to receive mail for 2 domains. Its working fine. As a
> > contingency plan i want to setup a scenario in which even if my mail
> > server aint available i shouldnt have LOST MAIL/ BOUNCED MAIL issues.
> > I studied a few possibilities including clustering but that aint
> > applicable to our scenario. The possibility applicable is the presence
> > of 2 mail servers on the same domain. If my primary mail server is not
> > available for some reason, my second machine takes over. I know thats
> > possible but HOW? Can someone guide me to the implementation. At the
> > moment, i have one machine servicing clients for 2 domains.
> >
> > Umar

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

Creating a rule based on domain
Firstly, I am running Office 2007. I would like to be able to create a rule that would take every incoming email from "everyone@domain.com", and move them to a seperate folder. So if anyone at this domain sends an e-mail to me, it will go to this folder. I tried creating a rule just using "@domain.com" and "domain.com", of course it gave me an error, but it left the rule. It works when i manually run it, but not the automated part when an new e-mail comes in. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this? Thanks! Scott Christopher <schristopher@struthers-...

Mail Merge with external data source
I am attempting to have an xml mail merge document automatically connect to an external database using the w:query and w:datasource settings. When I open the xml doc, Word 2008 gives me an error that it cannot find the data source. This works fine with Office 2003 and 2007 for windows, but I am having issues trying to get it to work with 2008 for mac. Is this even possible on the mac platform? Thanks for any input. Hi Myron: A data source for a mail merge operation can be an Excel sheet, the Office Address Book, a FileMaker Pro database, or a Word document. Sorry, nothin...

have one sheet update others in workbook
I have a workbook that consists of several sheets, one of which is a chart. My supervisor has asked me to populate a worksheet with lines of data referencing the main sheet of data as its source. This second sheet was used to create a chart. I need to impute data into the main sheet and have it update all sheets automatically. How do I do this? See "Create a link to another cell, workbook, or program" in Excel help Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:19:01 -0800, ashadiana <ashadiana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a workbook ...

Send mail automatically
Hello there, Is there a way to setup Outllok to send a same email once a week or once a month automatically? Please help. Thnaks. ...

Outlook 2003: 2 Users share 1 inbox, 1 POP/SMTP acct w/o Exchange Server?
My wife and I need to share a common Inbox in OL 2003. ( One logon at a time) We have seperate "contact Lists / Address Books" however we can share common In-Box sub-folders for saved email. We're not a business and I don't see a need for an "exchange server." How can this be done in Outlook 2003? It came with our new system. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &am...

Undeliverable mail #7
Hello I have this sporadic problem on a computer running Vista Home Premium and Outlook 2007. Occasionally, when I send an email to an address I have used frequently, I will receive a message that the email was not delivered because the "destination computer was not found." This occurs randomly to some Yahoo acounts as well as some where the ISPs name is part of the address. My software is up to date as is my A/V software. Additionally, the undeliverable message arrives as much as twelve hours after sending the email. Sometimes, but not always, a new message to the same addre...

Does Outlook's Auto Archive Always APPEND TO or OVERWRITE a Previous Backup?
I ask because in another thread it was stated that auto-archive always appends, but lots of advice on multiple sites caution the user that it always over-writes. If it always appends, then I can use it. If it always overwrites, I can't. I think this is a very important distinction for the user and thus we should know one way or the other which is true append or over-write. Thanks. Yes, it always appends, because it is adding individual items to the = folders in the archive .pst file, not overwriting that file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programmi...

pst file backup program(pfbackup.exe) installation problem.
Trying to instal the above, but getting errors. 1. "Setup has detected that you already have a version of pfbackup installed on this machine. ....must uninstall.... Answer YES to next qurstion. Click OK. 2. Are you sure you want to uninstall? YES 3. This action is only valid for products that are installed. YES 4. Please uninstall previous versions of PFbackup using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. OK No matter how hard I look, it isn't there. Also tried looking under different (administrator) logon accounts. Any ideas? Is there a .dll file somewhere? Sugge...

Excel links broken by server migration
Hello, I have a question regarding links between Excel files that has been lingering in my mind for days. The IT department will migrate my directories and files to a new directory on another server, so the path of my many Excel files will be changed, braking the links between these files. Since I have over 100 Excel files with several links within each file, it would take me too much time to open them all and change the links. Could somebody tell me whether there is a way to tackle this problem ? I'd imagine that something needs to be done in the copying process (in the server ...

Group Policy Backup
Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? Howdie! Am 01.07.2010 15:50, schrieb Venkat: > Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core > machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? GPMC delivers Scripts you can use to back them up. You can also download them seperately: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c1a89b-a6d2-4f2a-a944-9236999aee65&displaylang=en There should be plenty of scripting that...

Shared e-mail
Before XP, we had 1 desktop & 1 e-mail address. If my wife and I have separate desktops in XP, can we share the same e-mail?; i.e. when we went into either desktop to Juno, we both seen the same inbox mail. Can we share an inbox folder to see the same e-mail? Maybe it's best to have 1 e-mail address per desktop. I would appreciate feedback on this. JR, I hope you get an answer because I have been looking for the same thing. I have followed threads through hardware bridges, micro$oft exchange server, and a myrid of other topics and came up with nothing. At this time we have a...

How can I find how many exchange servers in an organization
Hi All, By programmatically, is there any way to find how many Microsoft Exchange Server is the Organization. (i.e. In big organization there will me more than one Exchange Server, I have to find how many exchange servers and also like to get the IP of each exchange server). Thanks in advance. Manu. It should be fairly simple via a script to do this, but why not use ExchDump to get loads of useful info (including the number of Exch servers)? Link is here: http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2004/03/microsoft_downl.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, an...

Windows Live Mail options
Hello. I just installed Windows Live Mail in my Win7 Pro laptop. I couldn't find config options like the options in Windows Mail in Vista or Outlook Express in XP like "Never send read receipt", Signature, etc. Where is it? Thanks in advance. You are not seeing the Menu Bar. If you installed Wave 3, (the current version and not the new beta), the Alt button will temporally enable the Menu Bar, or click on the Menus button to the left of the Help button and enable the Menu Bar. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA ...

backup to a file?
hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng. So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily) I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if needed) thanks!!! Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you can copy whereever. -- Thanks, Bria...

RPC server is unavailable
I CAN NOT BURN CD'S EVERYTIME I TRY IT COME BACK PLEASE INSERT CD INTO CD-R HELP On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 18:31:01 -0800, GLENN <GLENN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I CAN NOT BURN CD'S EVERYTIME I TRY IT COME BACK PLEASE INSERT CD INTO CD-R Head to the Start menu, and choose Run. In the box, type services.msc Press <enter> then scroll down the Services list until you reach "IMAPI CD Burning service" Ensure this is set to Start Automatically, and it's currently showing as Started. If not, double-click the IMAPI service and set those op...

GP on Small Business Server 2000
Hi, GP was recently upgraded to version 7.50g30 on our SBS2000 server. The Server is a dual Xeon processor box with 2gig of Physical RAM. It runs Exchange, GP, and another SQL program. GP 7.50g30 is also configured as it's own SQL server. After the ugrade we are now having System resource issues and users get booted out of the other SQL program on occasion. Does GP need to be on it's own Server or would a RAM increase help. Thanks I don't think that Great Plains has to be on it's own server, but I do know that Microsoft recommends that SQL server be on its own server ...

Deleted mail stayed in INBOX until purge
Outlook 2002 Deleted mails still stay in INBOX. Does not move to deleted folder. Until go to Purge all deleted mail then gone. Why and how? BC Outlook BC <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Deleted mails still stay in INBOX. > Does not move to deleted folder. > Until go to Purge all deleted mail then gone. I daresay you're account is an IMAP account and that's just the way the IMAP protocols work. -- Brian Tillman ...

OWA access via HTTP mail? (or other bulk forward OWA option)
I have an Exchange account that is only accessible via OWA; they have disabled Exchange and IMAP access. They are running an older version of Exchange, probably 2000. I want to download/forward all the mail in the account. Is there a way that I can use the HTTP Mail account support in Outlook (2003) to access the account? Are there any other options? Thanks. Dan Yes, set the OWA URL as the server location. I believe it is an unsupported feature though. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more....

Import Eudora mail/contacts
I've used the Outlook 98 > File/Import and Export/Import Internet Mail and Addresses/Eudora Pro and Light to import my messages and addresses from Eudora. It appears that all of my incoming mail imported fine, but all my outgoing mail is full of tags(?) or garbage and the dates are all dropped off. Any ideas? Thanks, Pat Upshaw ...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

Any way to count cells contining one, or more STRIKETHROUGHS?
Hi, I'm using XL2002 and am looking to count the number of cells in a column that have words struck out. In my case all the words in each cell are either all struck out, or none are struck out. First I can't figure out what character a strikethrough is, anyone know? And I can't get the CODE because excel will only return the code for the first character in a cell, which is nothing when there is nothing in the cell, even if you pre-select strikethrough from format cells. In the end I'm looking to make an array formula that will tell me how many cells have a strikethrough AND ...

Microsoft Project Server
Hi, let's say that I have a schedule with a task that has a "Work" value of 100 hours. My employee logs 150 hours on this task, and I approve it. Will this task show 100 hours, or 150 hours in the Actual Work field in the "Task Usage" view? Thank you. Eric Hello Eric, Definitely, this task will show 150 hours of Actual Work in Project Pro. G�rard Ducouret "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: D36CAF09-0D4D-4A5E-A170-2EB49DD18B38@microsoft.com... > Hi, let's say that I have a schedul...

How did I populate other cells based on infor from one cell?
Hi, Ive got a spreadsheet with staff information such as network username, first name, surname, department, job title, ethnicity, age etc... How do I (if possible), automatically populate the first name, surname, department, job title, ethnicity, age etc... by just typing in the network username? Any help is much appreciated! fkcadl Check out help on VLOOKUP(). With your data in Sheet1 Col A to Col J; in Sheet2 enter the network username in cell A1. In cell B1 enter the below formula and copy/drag towards the right.. =IF($A1<>"",VLOOKUP($A1,Shee...

Exhanges Mail Boxes
Client : Outlook2003 Server: Exchange Server 2003 Question: Outlook store local mail boxes or Data File as *.Pst file in local harddisk, but where does exchange store mails that reside in server and what is the extension it uses? Thanks! Alfred wrote: > Client : Outlook2003 > Server: Exchange Server 2003 > > Question: Outlook store local mail boxes or Data File as *.Pst file > in local harddisk, > but where does exchange store mails that reside in server and what is > the extension it uses? All mail is stored in your private mailbox store - composed of the priv*.e...