Backup Exec strategies and Exchange 5.5

Hello

We are running an Exchange 5.5 server, using Backup Exec 
7.2.  I'm running into space limitations on the backup 
tapes, and I'm wondering what essential information I 
should be backing up to make sure I can recover from a 
server failure.  In other words, what is the minimum data 
set I should be backing up?

At this point, I am backing up the "exchsrvr" folder on 
each of the server's hard drives as well as the Backup 
Exec selection labeled "Microsoft Exchange Directory" 
and "Microsoft Exchange Information Store".  Is it 
redundant to be backing up the exchsrvr folders *and* the 
directory and info store selections?

We are not doing any brick-level backups.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Steve
0
anonymous (74719)
12/2/2003 4:50:05 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

6 Replies
421 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 33

We use backup exec 9.0 and backup the c and d drives then all the exchange
items, i.e info store, directory , etc

"Steve T." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0c6e01c3b8f4$5610f9f0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Hello
>
> We are running an Exchange 5.5 server, using Backup Exec
> 7.2.  I'm running into space limitations on the backup
> tapes, and I'm wondering what essential information I
> should be backing up to make sure I can recover from a
> server failure.  In other words, what is the minimum data
> set I should be backing up?
>
> At this point, I am backing up the "exchsrvr" folder on
> each of the server's hard drives as well as the Backup
> Exec selection labeled "Microsoft Exchange Directory"
> and "Microsoft Exchange Information Store".  Is it
> redundant to be backing up the exchsrvr folders *and* the
> directory and info store selections?
>
> We are not doing any brick-level backups.
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> -Steve


0
obrienm (37)
12/2/2003 5:34:45 PM
"Steve T." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0c6e01c3b8f4$5610f9f0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> We are running an Exchange 5.5 server, using Backup Exec
> 7.2.  I'm running into space limitations on the backup
> tapes, and I'm wondering what essential information I
> should be backing up to make sure I can recover from a
> server failure.  In other words, what is the minimum data
> set I should be backing up?

The last time I ran into a space barrier I did an off-line defrag of one of
the Exchange servers.  That freed up a ton of space, but that was only
because I moved mailboxes from one server to this one and moved them back,
yet the IS store didn't shrink in size.

Backup Exec tends to back up the entire size of the IS, regardless of how
much actually useful information is in there.

Veritas says you should skip the ex*.log files (or maybe just *.log?) and
*.edb files in \exchsrvr\ directories since these are backed up with the
Exchange stores.  It usually skips *.edb anyway because they are in use and
locked, but it tends to still back up any .log files and they can get huge
since these log files are how you do incremental and differential backups of
an Exchange store.

Aside from that, I also skip \recycler\*, \temp\*, %systemroot%\temp\*
%systemroot%\system32\repl\import\* (backing up ..\export\* instead), any
uninstall directories for service packs and patches, and other stuff like
that.  You can also tell your users to do some house cleaning or threaten
deleting stuff older than a year.  :-)

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
What's a PGP Key?  See <http://www.pan-am.ca/free.html>
GOD BLESS AMER, er, THE INTERNET. <http://vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=401&page=4>


0
gordonf (20)
12/7/2003 8:30:20 AM
You left off an option or two.

Get more tape space/drives.  The argument is something like: If you don't
control how users use the system and the amount of data they keep in it, why
should you expect to control your storage space?

You could also change the backup scheme to backup incrementally (according
to restore threshold) or otherwise optimize your backup routine.  Space is
the last thing I personally consider when backup strategies are concerned.
For me it's all about how fast I can put it back if needed and then work
back from there until I have the rest of the criteria in place.  If that
means faster backup medium, or more complex backup schemes, then that's what
it takes.  If it means more tape drives, then so be it.  Those that manage
can adjust one or the other as far as I'm concerned ;)

"Gordon Fecyk" <gordonf@pan-am.ca> wrote in message
news:uGghBxJvDHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>
> "Steve T." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:0c6e01c3b8f4$5610f9f0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> > We are running an Exchange 5.5 server, using Backup Exec
> > 7.2.  I'm running into space limitations on the backup
> > tapes, and I'm wondering what essential information I
> > should be backing up to make sure I can recover from a
> > server failure.  In other words, what is the minimum data
> > set I should be backing up?
>
> The last time I ran into a space barrier I did an off-line defrag of one
of
> the Exchange servers.  That freed up a ton of space, but that was only
> because I moved mailboxes from one server to this one and moved them back,
> yet the IS store didn't shrink in size.
>
> Backup Exec tends to back up the entire size of the IS, regardless of how
> much actually useful information is in there.
>
> Veritas says you should skip the ex*.log files (or maybe just *.log?) and
> *.edb files in \exchsrvr\ directories since these are backed up with the
> Exchange stores.  It usually skips *.edb anyway because they are in use
and
> locked, but it tends to still back up any .log files and they can get huge
> since these log files are how you do incremental and differential backups
of
> an Exchange store.
>
> Aside from that, I also skip \recycler\*, \temp\*, %systemroot%\temp\*
> %systemroot%\system32\repl\import\* (backing up ..\export\* instead), any
> uninstall directories for service packs and patches, and other stuff like
> that.  You can also tell your users to do some house cleaning or threaten
> deleting stuff older than a year.  :-)
>
> --
> PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
> What's a PGP Key?  See <http://www.pan-am.ca/free.html>
> GOD BLESS AMER, er, THE INTERNET.
<http://vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=401&page=4>
>
>


0
12/7/2003 1:48:22 PM
"Al Mulnick" <amulnick_No_SPAM@ncDOTrr.com> wrote:

>Get more tape space/drives.  The argument is something like: If you don't
>control how users use the system and the amount of data they keep in it, why
>should you expect to control your storage space?
>
>You could also change the backup scheme to backup incrementally (according
>to restore threshold) or otherwise optimize your backup routine.  Space is
>the last thing I personally consider when backup strategies are concerned.
>For me it's all about how fast I can put it back if needed and then work
>back from there until I have the rest of the criteria in place.  If that
>means faster backup medium, or more complex backup schemes, then that's what
>it takes.  If it means more tape drives, then so be it.  Those that manage
>can adjust one or the other as far as I'm concerned ;)

Restore times are the the least of variables in restoring a database.
The number of log files that must be replayed are a major contributor
to long recovery times.

Restore a 30GB database and 1500 log files in 5-1/2 hours (LAN-based
restore, local tape restore may be considerably faster), but replaying
the log files takes 18 hours (90 seconds average time per log file).

Incremental backups can be e-v-i-l. :)

-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
0
richnews (7316)
12/7/2003 10:48:18 PM
That brings up a good point, Rich.  When you want to talk about backups, you
should really define "restore" so you have a common understanding.  Restore
to some means to put the data back in x amount of time where x is the amount
of time to retrieve data from tape to your hardware.  To others, as Rich
points out, it means how long to service restoration.  The distinction is
important as not everyone is interested in service restoration where tape is
concerned.  They want instant return to service and they'll deal with
putting the data back at a later point in time.

Rich, 90 seconds?  Old hardware?  ;)



"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
news:2ab7tvk1ifrsl4j4seqi717r7d2mlutlod@4ax.com...
> "Al Mulnick" <amulnick_No_SPAM@ncDOTrr.com> wrote:
>
> >Get more tape space/drives.  The argument is something like: If you don't
> >control how users use the system and the amount of data they keep in it,
why
> >should you expect to control your storage space?
> >
> >You could also change the backup scheme to backup incrementally
(according
> >to restore threshold) or otherwise optimize your backup routine.  Space
is
> >the last thing I personally consider when backup strategies are
concerned.
> >For me it's all about how fast I can put it back if needed and then work
> >back from there until I have the rest of the criteria in place.  If that
> >means faster backup medium, or more complex backup schemes, then that's
what
> >it takes.  If it means more tape drives, then so be it.  Those that
manage
> >can adjust one or the other as far as I'm concerned ;)
>
> Restore times are the the least of variables in restoring a database.
> The number of log files that must be replayed are a major contributor
> to long recovery times.
>
> Restore a 30GB database and 1500 log files in 5-1/2 hours (LAN-based
> restore, local tape restore may be considerably faster), but replaying
> the log files takes 18 hours (90 seconds average time per log file).
>
> Incremental backups can be e-v-i-l. :)
>
> -- 
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm


0
12/10/2003 12:46:58 AM
"Al Mulnick" <amulnick_No_SPAM@ncDOTrr.com> wrote:

>That brings up a good point, Rich.  When you want to talk about backups, you
>should really define "restore" so you have a common understanding.  Restore
>to some means to put the data back in x amount of time where x is the amount
>of time to retrieve data from tape to your hardware.  To others, as Rich
>points out, it means how long to service restoration.  The distinction is
>important as not everyone is interested in service restoration where tape is
>concerned.  They want instant return to service and they'll deal with
>putting the data back at a later point in time.

<sigh> Don't I wish. A "dial-tone" recovery works for some mailboxes
but not for others. If communication is all that's needed I can give
'em IM while I recover the data and then not have to listen to the
complaints about not being able to get some super-critical file that
exists only as an attachment to a year-old piece of mail.

Thank gawd that hardware doesn't crap out very often and clobber
everything on the disk. :(


>Rich, 90 seconds?  Old hardware?  ;)

Semi-old. Dell 6300 4x550Mhz 4GB RAM. I imagine things would work
better on 4x1400Mhz hyper-threaded Xeons connected to fibre SAN and
EMC, but I don't have that everywhere.

-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
0
richnews (7316)
12/10/2003 1:27:31 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Exchange migration questions
Hi all, There are three questions about exchange migration from 5.5 to 2003. The exchange 5.5 are migrated to exchange 2003, by ADMT and connect DC with ADC. All user mailboxs have been moved to exchange 2003. question1: on the dc, the exchange tabs cannot been shown on the user properties when open the AD user and computer from the Domain controller, but it shows when open from the exchange 2003 server. What configuration I need to configure in order show these tabs on domain controllers. question2: I am trying to migrate the public folder, by following the guideline from pfmigrate.ws...

New Exchange Server #5
I have deployed 2 new exchange servers in my Enterprise. both are Exchange 2k3 SP2 installed on Windows 2k3 RC2. One is a BE (Server B) and the other is a FE (Server C) hosting OWA and RPC over HTTP, working as advertised. These servers are in Administrative Group A which also host an Exchange 2k3 SP2 installed on Windows 2k, well call it server A. Server A is the only Internet Gateway for our Enterprise the Routing Group Master and connector for B, C and D routing (Administrative) groups. I need to decommission Server A and move its duties to Servers B and C. Any recommendations will ...

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

Outlook 2003: 2 Users share 1 inbox, 1 POP/SMTP acct w/o Exchange Server?
My wife and I need to share a common Inbox in OL 2003. ( One logon at a time) We have seperate "contact Lists / Address Books" however we can share common In-Box sub-folders for saved email. We're not a business and I don't see a need for an "exchange server." How can this be done in Outlook 2003? It came with our new system. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &am...

Does Outlook's Auto Archive Always APPEND TO or OVERWRITE a Previous Backup?
I ask because in another thread it was stated that auto-archive always appends, but lots of advice on multiple sites caution the user that it always over-writes. If it always appends, then I can use it. If it always overwrites, I can't. I think this is a very important distinction for the user and thus we should know one way or the other which is true append or over-write. Thanks. Yes, it always appends, because it is adding individual items to the = folders in the archive .pst file, not overwriting that file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programmi...

exchange and double take
I saw a demo of double take today. I love what it can do for the exchange server, and how it can replicate and turn up a standby box. However, what I need is their light version, so that I can just replicate the data stores and not much else. Is there a white paper for exchange 2003 that shows how to recover it from real time copies of the data stores (private and public). Here is the scenario. We have an exchange server in our downtown office that we backup using backup exec. This has worked well and tested. However, we would like to use double take to make a real time backup of all th...

Pivot Table Formatting #5
does anyone know how to format a pivot table so there are no blank cells? see below I curently get type A X 12 Y 20 Z 32 type B X 1 Y 10 Z 27 I would like to get type A X 12 type A Y 20 type A Z 32 type B X 1 type B Y 10 type B Z 27 The row headings show once in a Pivot Table, and there's no setting you can change, to force them to repeat. To print the table with a heading on each row, ...

pst file backup program(pfbackup.exe) installation problem.
Trying to instal the above, but getting errors. 1. "Setup has detected that you already have a version of pfbackup installed on this machine. ....must uninstall.... Answer YES to next qurstion. Click OK. 2. Are you sure you want to uninstall? YES 3. This action is only valid for products that are installed. YES 4. Please uninstall previous versions of PFbackup using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. OK No matter how hard I look, it isn't there. Also tried looking under different (administrator) logon accounts. Any ideas? Is there a .dll file somewhere? Sugge...

Group Policy Backup
Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? Howdie! Am 01.07.2010 15:50, schrieb Venkat: > Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core > machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? GPMC delivers Scripts you can use to back them up. You can also download them seperately: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c1a89b-a6d2-4f2a-a944-9236999aee65&displaylang=en There should be plenty of scripting that...

backup to a file?
hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng. So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily) I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if needed) thanks!!! Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you can copy whereever. -- Thanks, Bria...

Exchange Sp1 on SBS 2003
Does SBS require special windows updates and Exchange patches? More to the point I am encountering a problem which several postings say is resolved by installing SP1 for Exchange. Is there a separate Exchange SP1 for SBS 2003? If you do not get an answer here try asking in SBS newsgroup. Tom Wall wrote: > Does SBS require special windows updates and Exchange patches? More to the > point I am encountering a problem which several postings say is resolved by > installing SP1 for Exchange. Is there a separate Exchange SP1 for SBS 2003? Tom Wall wrote: > Does SBS require spec...

Testing Exchange using IP
Hi I am testing my E2K3 before pointing the existing domain to the new IP address. When I send an Email from outside to this E2K3 IP address, the mail gets bounced back. The NDR message is: Final-Recipient: rfc822;selva@204.87.122.205 Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 I am able to send mail from E2K3 to external address but cannot receive. I tested sending by Telnet as mentioned in KB 153119 article to this IP address and was able to receive. Also I am able to send to users within E2K3 box. Any suggestion is appreciated. TIA Selva Hi Selva, If you can drop off a message via telnet to the...

Reading Exchange 2003 SMTP Logs / Expected emails don't always arrive
Hi, We have been experiencing an issue now for a week or so and feel as though I have exhausted every avenue in trying to find out why we are having this issue. Essentially some emails (with attachment) aren't always received by our users. The senders of the emails are, to the best of my knowledge, always the same users. From what I can make out the senders IT infrastructure has multiple Exchange servers (maila.domain.net, mailb.domain.net, mailc.domain.net etc). I have checked that no emails are getting blocked by the RBL we use and have included the senders domain in a white list. I ha...

Outlook 2003
Our business has about 175 users all using Outlook 2003 and we currently are using IMail as our mail server. I have just installed Exchange 2010 and would like to miagrate all of my users over to the new server. Currently the only way to add the Exchange account to my end user's Outlook is to have the close out of Outlook and for me to manually setup the account using Mail from the Control Panel. Ofcourse we have to change the default settings to communicate with the Exchange 2010 server using encrypted data for it to work. We currently are not using the GPO (outlk11.ad...

thinking about exchange server
Hi I work for a small company (15-20 employees), we currently run windows xp and have an old server. What we want to do is setup shared calendars and contacts so the entire office can access them. This is in Outlook. what I need to know before i go and spend $$ on a new server is, how can this be done? Do I need Microsofts exchange server to accomplish this? Does exchange server run on its own or do i need to setup server 2003 and then put exchange server on it as well? Can this be done without a server (shared contacts and calendar) What is exchange server exactly? is it just an adva...

Exchange Server 2003 SP2
Hello all. Is it necessary to install Exchange 2003 SP1 before installing SP2? Thank you -- Osteele ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Osteele's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/184732.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1320706.htm http://forums.techarena.in Allow me to respond to my own post. I decided to not to take any chances. I installed SP1 then SP2. Everything seems to be functioning fine at the moment. -- Osteele -------------------------------------------------...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

Open Relay for Exchange 5.5
Please read below for this same question I posted previuosly? The only box I have checked is "Hosts and Client that succesfully authenticate". And I rebooted the server. Now the problem is I can still relay off of the server. What else can I do to shut off relay for this mail server? You can see the spammers in the queue!! Please if anyone has any links or knowledge to shut down this relay problem please let me know?? Thanks, BiG ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ How do you shut off open relay? This is for exchange server 5.5. SP4. I found this article. htt...

Non delivery reports in Exchange 2003
Hi There I don't know if anybody could help me with this query. I have a customer who has an Exchange 2003 server which is using DNS to resolve remote hosts. The problem he is experiencing is that for a few of his customers, when he emails them he gets an Delivery Delay message and then eventually gets a notification that the mail could not be sent. When doing a NSLookup for MX records, he can see that there are a number of hosts able to accept mail for the remote domain, but the MX record with the highest priority points to a server which is not available. My customer thinks th...

ndis 5.1 in windows 7
Hi all, I would like to know whether ndis 51 miniport driver will run on windows 7. (just running, no performance) . I have built my NDIS 51 miniport with WDK - 7600 , windows 7 build envirnment. In driverEntry I am getting "NdisMregisterminiport" returns failure. (return value -1073676283) . So the driver wont even load. Do I need to port my driver to 6.0 or 6.2 to make it work on windows 7 ? Regards, Subhash For certain link speeds you will not be able to WHQL certify an Ndis 5 driver and will need a 6.x one, but as far as loading and working, Ndis 5.x drive...

Exchange Server 2003 #2
Good Morning! In the company that i work, we recently set up an Exhange server [ version 2003] over Windows Server 2003 and active directory tecnologies. Being new at the exchange environment i would like to ask some things: 1. I need to keep a cope of every outgoing message of every accountand to be saved in a mailbox e.g. outbox@mydomain.com 2. I need to keep a cope of every incoming message of every accountand to be saved in a mailbox e.g. inbox@mydomain.com 3. I want to createn a common address book in which all the users will have access 4. I want to move all the e-mails every...

Effect for changing Exchange 2000 mixed-mode to native mode
Hi all, We have Exchange 2000, no Exchange 5.5 at all. Our Exchange 2000 is currently in mixed-mode. We'd like to ask whether we will have any effect if switching the Exchange 2000 to native mode? All our public folders are hidden from Exchange Address Book. When we switch to Exchange 2000 native mode, will there be anything change to our Public Folder to be appearing in Exchange address book or not? Please advise! J.H On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:20:50 -0700, "J.H" <jpthsd@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >We have Exchange 2000, no Exchange 5.5 at all. Our Exchang...

Backup
I have DataBase in SqlServer 2008.I Had taken database backup in full mode Around 10 days before. After that i ddi not take any other type of back.At the time of backup one table has around 1000 records.Now Accidentally Row has been deleted Now It has No Data.Before deletion now it has Around 3000 Records Is Their is Any Way to recover those deleted Rows From Full back Up Has the database been in full recovery model all the time since the full backup was taken? -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi ...

Point huge OST file to new Exchange server
How do you migrate an OST file pointing to Exchange server 1 to Exchange server 2? I know that OST files are just cache files and are freshly generated by Outlook if they are not present. However, if the cache size configuration goes in GBs and a whole bunch of machines are going to be moved over to another Exchange server, the network would take a hit if all the machines start downloading from Exchange server 2 at once. Is there any easy way to point the existing OST file of the users to the new Exchange server so as to prevent the fresh download? "Madhu" <Madhu@...

iPhone and Exchange
Couple of Directors just got shiny new iPhones How do I set them up? Setup the iPhone - and account varified ok (well I got password wrong first and I got an error 1st time & it said can't authentcate) and accepted the Cert (selfsign) But when I try to get mail I get a message can't Connect to server I've run the Internet Connection Wizard and enabled Mobile I've got port 443 open in the router What more do I need to do? Make sure the domain name you enter is your netbios name. So your settings will be something like; email: user@mydomain.c...