Automatically send email message when folder contents have changed.

Hoping someone can help.  We have a UNIX server on our network and an
Exchange 2003 server.  Ideally we would like to have the Exchange
server send an email to a group of users when a new file gets added to
a shared folder on the UNIX box.  The UNIX box is running VisionFS and
we can see the shared folder in our Windows environment.

Ideally I would like to have the Exchange server send a message
without having to dedicate a PC running Outlook and a plug-in to the
task but will do so if necessary.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Script it, schedule it to run on any member server (good idea to avoid
running unnecessary stuff on Exchange servers).
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Craig" <holdthisforme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hoping someone can help.  We have a UNIX server on our network and an
> Exchange 2003 server.  Ideally we would like to have the Exchange
> server send an email to a group of users when a new file gets added to
> a shared folder on the UNIX box.  The UNIX box is running VisionFS and
> we can see the shared folder in our Windows environment.
>
> Ideally I would like to have the Exchange server send a message
> without having to dedicate a PC running Outlook and a plug-in to the
> task but will do so if necessary.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated...

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
1/2/2007 9:13:27 PM
Of course, now comes the next question.  Does anyone have examples of
something like this?  I am not overly familiar with scripts and would
appreciate some help with this.

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:13:27 -0800, "Bharat Suneja [MVP]"
<bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote:

>Script it, schedule it to run on any member server (good idea to avoid
>running unnecessary stuff on Exchange servers).
The easiest way to send a message using Exchange is to compose an RFC
822-compliant message file and drop it in the Pickup directory of the SMTP
virtual server.  (Of course, the process doing this must have rights to
write to that directory.)  You can literally compose and send a message this
way with nothing more than a DOS-type batch file.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/e2k7help/ae191700-953f-411c-906f-dc90feec3d5a.mspx?mfr=true
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Craig" <holdthisforme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hoping someone can help.  We have a UNIX server on our network and an
> Exchange 2003 server.  Ideally we would like to have the Exchange
> server send an email to a group of users when a new file gets added to
> a shared folder on the UNIX box.  The UNIX box is running VisionFS and
> we can see the shared folder in our Windows environment.
>
> Ideally I would like to have the Exchange server send a message
> without having to dedicate a PC running Outlook and a plug-in to the
> task but will do so if necessary.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated...

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Can't send email in Outlook 2002
After clicking on send, I got the following error message: The operation failed due to network or other commuication problems. Check your connection and try again. I was able to receive email. What gives? Are you connected to Exchange or is this a connection to your ISP? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Marian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b65c01c4500d$9c0ab1c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > After clicking on send, I got...

sending email #14
When sending a new email in Outlook 2003 I start typing the recipients name in the To: field, rather than selecting it from the GAl. For certain recipients, multiple aliases appear in the drop down box. Depending on the name selected the email may not be delivered at all. Is there a way to clear/update the address book cache, if you will, to only have the correct alias appear? Thanks in advance, Aaron Neunz On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:00:31 -1000, Aaron Neunz <apn@rrbiznet.com> wrote: > When sending a new email in Outlook 2003 I start typing the recipients > name > in...

How do I correct a link error inside received emails?
Almost every link I receive in emails results in a "general error" popup that says it's a bad link, but then the linked page loads in my browser. Any ideas about how I can get rid of this popup? ...

Change Password Message in OWA 5.5
Each time a user logs into OWA they get a message to change their password when it is not necessary. Where to look to resolve the problem? -- Mark Anthony MCSE 2003 On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:41:00 -0800, Masitpro_mcse <Masitpromcse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Each time a user logs into OWA they get a message to change their password >when it is not necessary. Where to look to resolve the problem? By Not necessary, do you mean, its not expired, or is it the notification that their password is about to expire? THe default notification interval in 5.5 OWA was 14 days. Ch...

Cannot organize Favorites; error message
When I click on 'organize favorites' below 'add to favorites', I get this error message: Windows Internet Explorer Script Error Error:Automation Server can't create object Page:favorites.htm?folder= Call Stack: - box with OK - While this is displayed, the term 'loading' is on the otherwise blank page (under the headers), just scrolling... it never goes anywhere. Can't navigate away from the page; must completely close the browser page. My hard drive is almost full & I'd really like to be able to clean out a lot of dead links on my ...

Outlook Express Error Message
I am receiving an error message that states that the add- in "C:\Program Files\NavNT\vprnsece.dll" could not be installed. It states it can be resolved by using Detect and Repair in the Help menu, which I have tried several times, but to no avail. Any suggestions as to how to fix this error. Hi - this is a Norton Antivirus error. Also note - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you...

how can i export incedimail emails to outlook
Do you have a question? Please put it into this big blank white field. Thank you -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "ade1" <ade1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F90070B-E41B-4B94-B75E-44E7FB692B4E@microsoft.com... > Please see http://www.officeforlawyers.com/howask.htm -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007...

Net send
Hello, I have designed a userform in excel that allow's a user to send messages via Windows "net send" facility. I would like to expand on this concept and allow users who have access to the tool to be able to communicate via the userform - a homemade messenger so to speak. I'm guessing this is extremely difficult, if not impossible to do but thought it was worth investigating, is it possible for excel to capture a "net send" message received on the PC it's loaded on, and then display it in a userform? If it's possible how would I do it? Thanks ...

Printing LOTS of emails
I have to print a lot of emails - possibly several thousand. I have a macro that sends them to the printer, but is there a way I can read the contents and write them to a text file? I'd like them to look as much as possible like the actual printed copies do. It seems I MIGHT be able to open a text file, then write out the relevant fields, like: Open OutMail for output as 1 for each MailItem a$ = mailitem.field1 if len(a$)>0 then print #1,a$ a$=mailitem.field2 if len(a$)>0 then print #1,a$ etc. Print #1, "End of this mailitem" next Mailitem Close 1 Will this...

Automatic CC

Instances doesn't get updated when the master stencil changes
Hi, I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I change the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master shape. At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When I change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds) and this is such a pain. How can I solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated, Max On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:29:15 -0400, "Maxwell2006" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote: >Hi, > &...

Messages stuck in Outbox + Heavy CPU load Outlook 2007
Hi, I am using Outlook 2007 with Windows Vista Ultimate. I have a very annoying problem. On a random messages, Outlook "decides" that a certain message will not leave the outbox whatsoever, even if I will write the same message again and again. It happens usually with attachments (usually small ones) but not always. This is what is happening usually: I am writing the message as usual, and trying to send it. In the lower corner, Outlook informs that send/receive was completed successfully but the message remains in the outbox, and somehow blinks a little (if I can describe it ...

Automatic axis format

How to add a 2nd page to an online email newsletter in Publisher?
I have inserted a 2nd page to my online email newsletter in publisher but when I view it by either the preview or sending it to my self I cannot get to the second page!! Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong and how to fix this please. This is for my small business and I am trying to have this ready for a June 1 release. Thank you. I think the only way of getting additional story to your email is make a Publisher page twice as long (22"). Creating a multi-page PDF file may be more appreciated by your readers for it is a nicer file to save, and print out. -- Don Vancouver, ...

Unable to open sent items folder
I have delegated my freind to open my "sent Items" folder in my mail box ,but he is unable to open my "sent items" folder in his outlook2000. He is able to open my other folder like "inbox,calender" after delegation.Except the sent items. In oultook@ file >open other users folder>folder type ,the "sent items" folder is not listed .. Please help if there is any workaorund for this thanks SP He needs to add your mailbox to his folderlist. See http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/permissions.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-out...

Changing Location of Templates
I'm running Excel 2002 on XP Pro. I want to change the location of my templates directory. "Help" says to go to Microsoft Shortcut Bar, but of course, in XP, there's no such thing. In Word, there's a tab under Tools/Options/File Locations, but not in Excel. What do I do? Thanks, Bill Hi Bill See the page from MS about Office 2002 Templates http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;290232 ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** Thanks, D...

Subreport Height not Grow/Shrink when change Page
Hello, I have a calendar report which uses 30 copies of a sub-report to build each day. Working just fine except: Let's say January 16th, there are 2 items to be listed for that date and the sub-report grows to a height of 0.5". I hit Next Page, go to February. There are now 4 items that need to be listed in that box. But instead of growing to accomodate these 4 items, the box stays at the 0.5" from January, and thus cuts off the February data. I have set Can Grow and Can Shrink everywhere -- in the sub-report details, on the sub-report control, and on the main report details...

Distribuiton list sending from worng e-mail address
I am using Outlook 2000 (its old but it works), it is not connected to an exchange server. Everytime I make a distribution list it use the wrong e-mail address for the sender address, but I don't get offered the opportunity to enter an e- mail address. I have two e-mail address setup in Outlook, one I use all the time and the other one which I use about twice every 6 months and to use it I have to go into Tools > Services to change profile if I want to send and receive from said e-mail address. So why is the distribution list sending from the wrong address?? Tim...

Inbox says 2 new emails, not seeing them..
I have a user in our New York office (I'm in New Jersey)... she's running Outlook 2003. This moring her Inbox showed 2 new emails, but they all showed as being read already. She has an appointment, but after that I might use TeamViewer to access her computer.. is there anything I should look for or do? Is she syncing with a smartphone or pda? Is her reading pane set to mark messages read when the selection changes? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ ...

Find cell contents in range
Hi, i am really struggling to create a macro to carry out the following. ( i am quite new to this and presently using a book but things are explained fully!) lets say cell K12 = 2245 i have a range of A2:A50 containing a list between 2220 & 2270 i need my macro to look at the value of K12. Find that value in range, and make the cell with that value active so in my list between 2220 & 2270 is an activecell where the value is 2245 i hope this can be done and hope that someone can help me. Regards, Nigel With Worksheets(1).Range("A2:A50") Set cell = .Find(Range(&quo...